The Lord Lucan mystery

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Lord Lucan mystery

Post  Mimi on Thu 01 Jun 2017, 1:14 pm

Freedom wrote:I feel sure that the first paragraph about an insight into the marriage wasn't there orignally and the impression was definitely given that she was talking about the night of the murder.

There is no way that what is there now could have been interpreted otherwise.

Not to worry, it can't be checked now.

The Radio Times says the same as is now in the link.

Another one here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4553216/Lord-Lucan-s-widow-shares-details-fraught-relationship.html

This sounds like "too much information" thank you. I'm not sure if such intimate details are necessary!

Agree - why come out with all that now - it`s private.

Although I would say it`s not unusual to find relationships like that and is a need within both parties. I`m sure it`s part of her psychology to be the victim. (Tin hat on). I`m convinced we know another couple with a similar psychology.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 10:56 pm

https://www.itv.com/hub/lord-lucan-my-husband-the-truth/2a4814a0001

Here's the programme - there wasn't much that was toe-curlingly embarrassing after all.
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  poster on Tue 06 Jun 2017, 5:04 pm

Freedom wrote:https://www.itv.com/hub/lord-lucan-my-husband-the-truth/2a4814a0001

Here's the programme - there wasn't much that was toe-curlingly embarrassing after all.

I thought Lady Lucan came over pretty well. No wonder she was depressed he was the husband from hell. Good looking, yes, but in an evil-looking kind of way. He sounded like a terrible husband and father. No wonder she was depressed. She even looks depressed on her wedding day.

Despite her husband's attempts to medicalize her, get her pyschiatric treatment and even get her sectioned I would say that is was Lord Lucan who was the nutter. She seems perfectly sane. She made a very unfortunate choice of husband and no doubt has to live with the guilt of knowing that given a better choice of husband her children's lives would have been very, very different plus a young women's life would not have been brutally snuffed out.

Lucan's friends come over as pretty ghastly too especially the Shand-Kydds. What a chinless wonder he is and quite dim. I don't for a minute believe they think he is innocent and his story of 'saving' his wife from the nanny's attacker is just nonsense, as GM might say.

If it is true that he intended to murder his wife but mistook the nanny for her then he must have had to do some very quick thinking that fateful evening. On the other hand, perhaps a hit man had been instructed to kill the wife and when Lucan realized he had killed the wrong woman, Lucan let himself into the house - using the pretense of seeing an attack in the basement - and decided to do the job himself. Plus prevent his wife from seeing the dead nanny.

Lady Lucan managed to keep a cool head, grab him in his most sensitive place, and then play him at his own game to buy time. Presumably Lucan was in a panic by this stage. The wrong woman had been killed, his wife knew that he also wanted to kill her. How would he get away with this given that his three children were all upstairs and one of the children had seen the pair coming back into the room with Lady Lucan covered in blood? How on earth to explain all that away? He could hardly risk his wife's screams coming from the bedroom knowing that their three children were nearby and at least one of them was awake.

Perhaps Lord Lucan thought it prudent to go from room to room calling out for his wife as he thought she might have taken refuge in a child's room, particularly the eldest daughter, for instance? Or he wanted the eldest daughter to hear him softly calling out for her as though trying to protect her from the marauding attacker.

It is incredible that he managed to get away with this crime as the evidence is so strong against him. Poor Lady Lucan and her children, what a dreadful man. Addicted to gambling and alcohol and determined to ruin his wife's life. He effectively ruined his children's lives too.

(Now, who else made an exceedingly poor choice of husband, imo?)

The only bit I didn't believe was Lady Lucan's account of how she thought her husband had thrown himself into the sea from the ferry to be chopped up by the propellers. I thought that was a daft suggestion and I wonder if she even believed it herself? He would have used his connections to flee the country and was able to obtain a false identity, imo. He could still be alive, certainly not impossible.
And despite the headlines of the papers, I doubt Lady Lucan gave that interview to 'get back at' her estranged son. She gave her side of the story. The part I don't understand is why at the end she called Lord Lucan an 'honourable' man which is why she thinks he killed himself that night. He was not an honourable man and he fled the scene of the crime. Not only that he made sure his children were taken away from their mother. Those are not the actions of an 'honourable' man.
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Tue 06 Jun 2017, 5:31 pm

Yes, that more or less covers what I thought.

She may have some sort of personality disorder in that, as she said, all her relationships have been cold. She was asked if she missed her children when she and her husband were swanning off abroad and she said no because she knew they were safe with the nanny; not the question that was asked!

She doesn't seem to have had much of a relationship right from the start with them so I suspect it wasn't that much of a wrench when they went to live with her sister. Presumably she could have visited them if she wanted to?
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Tue 06 Jun 2017, 5:56 pm

... I thought Lord Lucan was shacked up in Jill Haverns pad alongside PeterMac.. scratch
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Tue 06 Jun 2017, 9:01 pm

I have to say that I haven't heard of that possibility before........
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:12 pm

Just watched it on catch-up.

How sad.

We obviously haven`t heard the children`s side of the story. It would be interesting to know why they have detached from her - it`s a very harsh thing to do to their mother even if she wasn`t a very good mother.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  poster on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 9:48 pm

Freedom wrote:Yes, that more or less covers what I thought.

She may have some sort of personality disorder in that, as she said, all her relationships have been cold. She was asked if she missed her children when she and her husband were swanning off abroad and she said no because she knew they were safe with the nanny; not the question that was asked!

She doesn't seem to have had much of a relationship right from the start with them so I suspect it wasn't that much of a wrench when they went to live with her sister. Presumably she could have visited them if she wanted to?

Agreed. Both the parents were also brought up by nannies I would imagine as was the habit of the upper classes at the time as well as sending boys away to boarding school aged 7. Parental emotional detachment to children was practically encouraged. Lord Lucan comes over as a particularly cold individual (almost evil-looking, imo) whereas she I would think was identified by him as being 'wife' material - malleable, emotionally perhaps vulnerable, he probably realized early on he could brow-beat her and throw the 'unfit mother' card around.

A sad story all round really.

poster

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top