Boy, 2, Snatched By Alligator At Disney Resort

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 8:10 am

http://news.sky.com/story/1712145/boy-2-snatched-by-alligator-at-disney-resort

Recovery teams are searching a lake near Florida's Magic Kingdom Park after the animal dragged the boy into a man-made lagoon.

07:59, UK,
Wednesday 15 June 2016

Police are searching for a child who was snatched by an alligator near Disney's Magic Kingdom Park in Florida.

The two-year-old boy was paddling in a foot of water on a beach beside the Seven Seas Lagoon at 9pm when the animal attacked and dragged him away.

Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said: "The father was there nearby and the alligator came up and attacked. The father struggled and tried to get his son and was not successful and he alerted others nearby to assist him."

Early morning view of the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa located in the Magic Kingdom at Disney World in Orlando
The Disney resort and lagoon into which the boy was dragged

The mother also tried to rescue the boy and a nearby lifeguard was told of the attack, Demings said.

"We have in excess of 50 law-enforcement personnel at the scene actively searching the lake," he added.

"As a father and a grandfather, we are hoping for the best in the circumstances but, based upon my 35 years of law enforcement experience, we know we have some challenges ahead of us."

Police have cordoned off the area near the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa while boats and a helicopter search the 14ft-deep man-made lagoon which is bordered by three holiday resorts and sand beaches.

Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Wahaler said everyone at the resort was devastated and that Disney is helping the family.

When asked if the resort was aware of alligators on the property, Ms Wahaler advised there were signs that said "no swimming".

Sheriff Demings said there had been no other recent reports of similar alligator attacks on the lake.

"We have no record of this happening before," he said.

It is not clear if the child's family, who are from Nebraska, were staying at the resort.

Magic Kingdom Park is one of four theme parks in the Walt Disney World Resort.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3642167/Two-year-old-child-dragged-water-alligator-near-Disney-s-Grand-Floridian-resort.html
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Re: Boy, 2, Snatched By Alligator At Disney Resort

Post  Freedom on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 9:08 am

This is dreadful beyond words.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 9:17 am

I know. I was halfway through my breakfast when I switched on the news and they were reporting it. I felt physically sick and couldn't eat another thing.

Truly awful.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 1:35 pm

Oh how terrible. Poor poor child, poor family. How can something like this happen?

What is Disney's Magic Kingdom, I know nothing about Disney's theme parks?

Unbelievably sad. Disney sounds so safe for children doesn't it.

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 1:44 pm

I know alligators are found all over Florida, but it seems strange that one would be allowed to be anywhere near a theme park. This was a man-made lagoon, so how would it get there?
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 3:59 pm

froggy wrote:I know alligators are found all over Florida, but it seems strange that one would be allowed to be anywhere near a theme park.  This was a man-made lagoon, so how would it get there?

Yeah it beggars belief that alligators would be allowed to roam in a man-made lagoon at the biggest theme park in the world.

I did read somewhere (not sure where) this morn, that once they get over 2ft in size then they are removed out of the lagoon.

So does that imply that alligators of that size or less are harmless or did one just escape the net so to speak.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 4:59 pm

I took my kids to Disneyworld back in 1993. There were notices in the villa about alligators and the fact they can enter built up areas and man made lagoons. Needless to say we certainly didn't tempt fate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 10:32 pm

Tragically, he has been found dead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/16/us/alligator-child-florida-orlando-disney.html?_r=0

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 10:53 pm

Very sad.

It's on the front page of tomorrow's Mirror.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 7:48 am

Perhaps because of the tragic outcome there doesn't seem to be the same level of venom directed at these parents as there was towards the parents of the boy who fell into the gorilla pit. I suspect though that there will be as some people will not be able to resist. I hope that the family are not subjected to any negative comments. Their suffering must be horrendous.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 8:11 am

I hate to say it but I think that racial and social elements played a part in the criticism of the parents of the child in the gorilla pit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 8:23 am

What's happened is absolutely tragic.

But would anyone here let there 2 year old child (and watch close by), walk/paddle in an alligator infested lagoon shoreline, a foot deep, at 21:30 at night......

I'm not blaming the parents - I'm just saying.

The little boy should never of been anywhere near there.

Just my opinion and sorry if that offends anyone.

Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 8:31 am

I'm sure that others have thought that, Andrew, me included. 

However, my feeling is, as I have mentioned before, that parents who have made a genuine mistake which led to a terrible outcome, do not need to have anyone else adding to their feelings of guilt.

A certain couple from Leicester do not of course come into that category.

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 9:45 am

Freedom wrote:I hate to say it but I think that racial and social elements played a part in the criticism of the parents of the child in the gorilla pit.

I nearly wrote that but thought it might go down badly but I agree.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 9:51 am

chirpyinsect wrote:
Freedom wrote:I hate to say it but I think that racial and social elements played a part in the criticism of the parents of the child in the gorilla pit.

I nearly wrote that but thought it might go down badly but  I agree.

It's true though.

A different story completely if it was.. say a couple of White English Doctors on holiday and the same thing happened.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  joyce1938 on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 10:22 am

I think a few have been feeling that way .I have read in mail today that the water wasbetween 1 to 2feet deep he was paddling in .also the parents were on beach as they were there to watch a film and nightly show ..I too wonder if he eas watched well enough at 2 years old ,he could fall and maybe no one would notice that too. I know we all have to let our kids take chances in life ,but toddlers we have to watch all the time if outside our homes . joyce1938
joyce1938

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top