MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREXIT - The European Union referendum

+22
Benevolent
nannygroves
Satsuma
End
Andrew
bluebell
dogs don't lie
joyce1938
Hope
Mo
Bampots
chirpyinsect
espeland
Poe
coppernob
froggy
unreorganised
Inca
Freedom
Dee Coy
costello
Châtelaine
26 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

IN or OUT?

BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 Vote_lcap29%BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 11 ]
BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 Vote_lcap68%BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 Vote_rcap 68% 
[ 26 ]
BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 Vote_lcap3%BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 38

BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 Empty Re: BREXIT - The European Union referendum

Post  Hope Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:30 pm

Oh Dear Lord of course I did NOT mean that though I can see how it reads. It was 5.10am and I missed out some words.

I meant for our poor friends who stuck it out ONLY now to be worried sick about their pensions falling and their homes bought with savings becoming unmanageable

It was heartbreaking in 2010/14 period to see elderly couples have to sell up at a loss and move back to where? Relatives, council lists?

Many had health problems that they managed better here and went downhill very quickly back in the UK. I know one amazing old couple, she was housebound but here they could afford a bit of help and the husband looked after her. They had applied for assisted accommodation ,he was 80, but they were only offered separate places, miles apart. He had been a steel worker for 50 years.

So I apologise for the misunderstanding, I would NEVER think that especially as I am in bad health and don't know how long more there is for me.

Apologies again but I was exhausted and in rotten pain. Love Hopexxx
Hope
Hope

Back to top Go down

BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 Empty Chirpyinsect

Post  Hope Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:32 pm

Just to add I am one of those people you mentioned who left in desperation for health reasons
Hope
Hope

Back to top Go down

BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 Empty Re: BREXIT - The European Union referendum

Post  Mimi Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:33 pm

costello wrote:
Mo wrote:Mimi I'm intrigued to know who Miss Whiplash is Smile

Just a guess here Mo, Theresa May?

Good guess though. Very Happy

I`d put Amber Rudd in that category as well.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:44 pm

IMO I don`t think Boris would cut it as PM. He lacks something and I can`t think what it is.

I love Jacob Rees-Mogg.  Super intelligent, serious, witty, unphased, calm, clear and reasoned. Although he`s a Tory and has a plummy voice, I`d go for him as PM.

ETA Unfortunately (or luckily for him) JRM went to Eton but not the sort to be a member of the Bullingdon Club. He`s too much of a gentleman.

Last edited by Mimi on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:48 pm

Undecided on Boris. Always thought he was a bit of a clown myself.

No odds for Gerry McCann to be the next PM.

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 Empty Re:The European Union referendum.

Post  costello Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:52 pm

Mimi wrote:
costello wrote:

Oh Mimi I definitely agree, I saw Ms Rudd on one of the debate programmes. I remembered thinking
'god help her husband.'
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:53 pm

Brexit are already backpedalling.....

Nigel Farage admits there WON'T be extra £350m for NHS - within HOUR of Brexit result

BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 JS89532410

Slogans such as "We send the EU £350 million a week, let's fund our NHS instead" and "Let's give our NHS the £350 million the EU takes every week" were emblazoned on Vote Leave campaign material.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-admits-wont-extra-8271594

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 Empty Re:The European Union referendum.

Post  costello Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:59 pm

Does anyone think Gisele Stuart would make a good Labour leader. I thought she was excellent in the
leave campaign.
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:04 pm

Nigel corrected that 350 million weeks ago - that stupid interviewer is twisting and making drama out of old news. So is the Mirror.

We pay £350 million and get rebates which are not decided by us but by the EU ministers, so the net is about £180 million. Nigel and other Brexiters have explained about this and apologised for any initial misrepresentation. And it could go to the NHS as well as other organisations short on funding.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:07 pm

Chatelaine iam no fan of Boris Johnson as a tory but i used to watch his stweradship of the London assembly on occasions and he  led the assembly  very ably and maturely. He wont garner my vote but perhaps like Churchill cometh the hour?

Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  costello Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:07 pm

candyfloss wrote:Brexit are already backpedalling.....

Nigel Farage admits there WON'T be extra £350m for NHS - within HOUR of Brexit result

BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 JS89532410

Slogans such as "We send the EU £350 million a week, let's fund our NHS instead" and "Let's give our NHS the £350 million the EU takes every week" were emblazoned on Vote Leave campaign material.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-admits-wont-extra-8271594

Nigel Farage was asked this question on TV this morning, and straight away he said this was a bad idea
and should not have been used in the campaign. He also said a few weeks back that he felt like 'a
turkey voting for Christmas.'
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:13 pm

costello wrote:Does anyone think Gisele Stuart would make a good Labour leader. I thought she was excellent in the
leave campaign.

Yep, I agree about Gisela. Excellent.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:18 pm

costello wrote:
Mimi wrote:
costello wrote:

Oh Mimi I definitely agree, I saw Ms Rudd on one of the debate programmes. I remembered thinking
'god help her husband.'

Ha ha Very Happy  yes, poor bloke. Out of interest I looked on Wiki and they divorced in 1995.  Not surprised eh !

ETA: His name is A A Gill and from what I`ve read he sounds a nasty bit of work himself.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Fri 24 Jun 2016, 10:11 pm

Hope thank you for clearing that up. I somehow thought there must have been a misunderstanding and I totally accept your explanation.
I get a little defensive because there are sometimes people who wish to criticise my hubby and I for making certain choices to improve our lives. I had friends of 40 year standing who told me I was a traitor to my country when I expressed my views on the Scottish referendum. I wasn't even that vocal, just hoped that my birth country was going to make the correct decision the next day. I said I would vote stay but as I didn't qualify by dint of living abroad, I was told it was none of my business and to butt out. This in spite of having kids and other family in UK and it having been my birthplace. Yet anyone who had moved there got a vote on the biggest decision Scotland had faced for hundreds of years.
I had composed a rather long and bitter reply to you but thought better of it as I thought you had perhaps not explained yourself properly. It is now binned and I am glad I didn't send it. No point in falling out over it. Sometimes it pays to step back. Your health is fragile and it is much more important that you don't have to contend with a spiky Scot with a bee up her bum.
pax vobiscum.

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Fri 24 Jun 2016, 10:19 pm

BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 ClvqU1YWgAQV6cJ

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Fri 24 Jun 2016, 10:21 pm

BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 ClviAP5WYAE0Q_L

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Fri 24 Jun 2016, 10:22 pm

BREXIT - The European Union referendum - Page 5 Clvhpn9XEAErITN

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots Fri 24 Jun 2016, 11:20 pm

I fear the interesting view point was Blairs old civil servant Jonathon Powell has been on newsnight suggesting that the vote was not for out but just for a different relationship with Europe. He says Boris always favoured an out vote followed by a renegotiation. What's he suggesting I hear you ask? Another election followed by another referendum. Assshoole! Will this be the game plan?

Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  Hope Sat 25 Jun 2016, 12:11 am

Thank you so much,I was shattered and I can't remember when I had a half decent night's sleep. I am trialling new treatment and wanted to try and help look for Justice for Madeleine again.

It was terrible when so many pensioners who had worked hard all their lives to try and have a half decent pension took such a hit. Those forced to sell for tens of thousands less that what they had paid out. So back to the UK with large debts at that time of life.

The couple I referred too could not face saying goodbye to their closest friends here.I have heard sad cases of those who had no choice but to go back to the UK suffer terrible depression.The pace of life is too much for many.

As for the manner in which your opinions were rejected, it is ignorant and small minded.

Irish emigrants have been pushing for their right to vote in Irish affairs for decades too.

I sincerely hope all works out for you and your family, Love Hope x
Hope
Hope

Back to top Go down

Post  joyce1938 Sat 25 Jun 2016, 10:14 am

Hi Hope, just few years ago there was recession , and it efected the people that had bought home abroad. We visited my sons holiday home in Portugal . On plane we sat with a group of older age ,possably 80's , some had had to return home to England ,as times had got hard over there Spain too this was happening . Some could sell for very little money ,spent what they had left now had no surplus to use and the pound was strong. I must say I felt sad for them ofcourse .Trouble was ,they seeme to have no idea that their cash would not last forever. Now some had nowhwhere to return to ,so I just hope the families would help for a time . What it mae me understand is ,if you want to go you also need a base back home ,maybe Let out etc . But the thought of getting out of Britain became popular no thought of many to the future with no cash to spare .Now I do not say this to put anyone down ,just to say ,I knew first hand at that time it was happening. So once again we shall see this ,sad to say.joyce1938
joyce1938
joyce1938

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:07 am

Actually I think I'm in a better position than many back in UK Hope, in or out of the EU. I own my house outright and don't plan to sell. It's worth roughly half of its pre 2007 value anyway but still much more than we paid. At the moment we can access health care because of our NI contributions in, or paid for, by the UK. That may change but we can also get treated here at a very reasonable cost or free if retired . I have back up private health care because I am under 65 which I took out 13 years ago and is pretty cheap at €50  a month. Anything serious and I can be treated anywhere in the world. I just had a full health MOT for €100.
A lot of retirees go back to UK for health reasons not having budgeted for getting older. Once the value of their homes crashed and the pound was high it meant even people who wanted to buy here couldn't afford it so double whammy. I know a few who have just walked away. Sad really.
I know you should never say never but I've no plans to return permanently. Life is good. Xx

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:16 am

Million sign petition for new EU referendum

7 minutes ago

A petition calling for a second referendum on UK's membership of the EU has gained more than one million signatures following the vote to leave.

The petition will be discussed in Parliament after it reached the 100,000 signatures needed to trigger a debate.

The UK voted to leave the EU by 52% to 48% in Thursday's referendum but the majority of voters in London, Scotland and Northern Ireland backed Remain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629324

Can they do this???

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:25 am

Nothing would surprise me.

Isn't this similar to what happened in Ireland?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8288181.stm
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Sat 25 Jun 2016, 12:07 pm

I read somewhere that this was put in place before the referendum. In May in fact. Was it that there had to be a 60/40 split on a, at least, 75% turnout, or something like that? So I assume it would have been tge same if the vote had gone 52/48 the other way.

As for your point Bampots you might have stumbled across something.
I am not suggesting this happened but based on the Brexit side advising people to vote with a pen because they feared a rigged vote. If it was deemed probable when they thought they would lose, why is it not feasible the other way?
A vote in favour of a narrow Brexit win gives the new PM a bargaining chip for better conditions which a narrow win would never have afforded them. Cameron had already failed on that front but a Remain vote was expected then. Different playing field now.
Boris gets the top job he has coveted. He is in a very small club of Tory Brexiters so could be a shoe in, whereas he might not get the leadership later in a more wide open field. Cameron falls on his sword. New referendum called for.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hope Sat 25 Jun 2016, 1:11 pm

I am glad,yes it makes sense to have back up insurance. Yours is a good price, mine is horrendous because of all the pre existing conditions. The people in the public system here from consultants, nurses, cleaners, physios, I can't praise highly enough. They really care.
Some of the facilities and equipment are old,it's a poor country, but the staff are very comforting and professional.

As for your relatives in Scotland, they should respect your decisions. xx
Hope
Hope

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next