The Enfield haunting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Enfield haunting

Post  Freedom on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 10:34 am

I'm putting this in current news as, although it happened in the 1970s, it has never really faded from the limelight and films are still being made based on it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2054842/Enfield-Poltergeist-The-amazing-story-11-year-old-North-London-girl-levitated-bed.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_Poltergeist

I wonder if it's a case where the children involved made up the story for whatever reason without realising how seriously and for how long it would be taken and - as in certain other cases - they find themselves in the situation of being afraid to admit what really happened.

Some of the events reported are very hard to explain away though as hoaxes.

The much earlier case of the Cottingley fairies certainly comes into the category of a childish prank which went on for too long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottingley_Fairieshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottingley_Fairies
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Re: The Enfield haunting

Post  dogs don't lie on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 12:00 pm

I'd believe it, I had to move house due to experiences no where near this pale

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 1:44 pm

I was warned (by someone close to me who studied the occult) when I was in my 20s never to go to ouija board meetings. It was quite a topic back then and a few people were trying it out.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 1:58 pm

My granny and mummy were born at home, (which I grew up in, mummy and daddy still live there), would never have allowed one of those boards in the house or even mentioned. Even today, if one was brought into the house, I know mummy would leave. Are they mostly associated with evil spirits?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guinea Pig on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 2:35 pm

I have no personal experience with ouija boards at all but I think that there's no harm in them if they aren't taken too seriously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija
Guinea Pig

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 2:52 pm

dogs don't lie wrote:I'd believe it, I had to move house due to experiences no where near this pale

Interesting. We have unexplained things go on in our house but there's no sense of malevolence or anything - it reminds me more of the crap poltergeist out of Newman and Baddiel, if anybody apart from me can remember that.
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Yikes...!!

Post  Rosa canina on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 3:04 pm

My little brother and his mates called up Kurt Cobain on a ouija board when they were at boarding school.

Apparently Kurt got cross and told them to F off.

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 3:27 pm

unreorganised wrote:
dogs don't lie wrote:I'd believe it, I had to move house due to experiences no where near this pale

Interesting. We have unexplained things go on in our house but there's no sense of malevolence or anything - it reminds me more of the crap poltergeist out of Newman and Baddiel, if anybody apart from me can remember that.

I'd always put it down to my own imagination, until the oh seen it too, then I moved lol! Still would love to spend a night in a haunted house though, as long as I know I could go home afterwards!

Back to top Go down

The Enfield Haunting

Post  hesla on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 3:59 pm

Our house was built in the 10th century and belonged to the Knights Templar for a while. Lots of things go on with lights doors things moving about and voices. A psychic told us we have three different ghosts. I am used to most of it now but have a few friends who refuse to visit again after their experiences. Only ever felt threatened once not long after we moved in. Some of our previous dogs didn't like certain rooms but the current a Dobermann is used to it now. He was a rescue three years ago and the state he arrived in makes me think he's seen worse things than ghosts.
hesla

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 5:37 pm

dogs don't lie wrote:My granny and mummy were born at home, (which I grew up in, mummy and daddy still live there), would never have allowed one of those boards in the house or even mentioned. Even today, if one was brought into the house, I know mummy would leave. Are they mostly associated with evil spirits?

I don`t think the boards themselves are anything to worry about, it`s the fact that a collection of people, with their combined energies, are requesting an entity into their midst. How I see it is entities that are unable to shed their etheric bodies and move on will hang around places that hold them there. For instance people who die with addictions or obsessions have difficulty shedding and moving on.

People who get together with a ouija board and summon anything that might be around often get weird results. Same goes for spiritualists who never get anything rational. Best to just live one`s life in the here and now I reckon. But that`s just my thinking at this present time and other people will obviously have different ideas.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 6:38 pm

Makes sense Mimi. 4yrs ago my daddy was found unresponsive in hospital, thankfully he came back, but, several weeks later he told us that, he was standing at the bottom of a big flight of stairs. At the top, his 5 brothers were waiting, but with they're heads slightly down. He said the reason he didn't walk up the steps was because he was waiting for my mummy, he wouldn't go without her! So, I also think there are spirits who are just waiting on a certain loved one to join them. Ofcourse, my parents are like those two out of One Foot in the Grave and mummy told him "next time, you head on cause I'm not planning on going anywhere soon, leave me out of it!" Lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 6:51 pm

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- Shakespeare: Hamlet (1.5.167-Cool
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:40 pm

dogs don't lie wrote:Makes sense Mimi. 4yrs ago my daddy was found unresponsive in hospital, thankfully he came back, but, several weeks later he told us that, he was standing at the bottom of a big flight of stairs. At the top, his 5 brothers were waiting, but with they're heads slightly down. He said the reason he didn't walk up the steps was because he was waiting for my mummy, he wouldn't go without her! So, I also think there are spirits who are just waiting on a certain loved one to join them. Ofcourse, my parents are like those two out of One Foot in the Grave and mummy told him "next time, you head on cause I'm not planning on going anywhere soon, leave me out of it!" Lol.

When I was nursing a man suffered a cardiac arrest on the ward. He was quickly laid out flat and the de-fibulators put into action. He wore a wig (unknown to staff) and it became dislodged during the furore and one of the nurses chucked it to one side, well more than that, it travelled some distance across the ward. The man`s wig was replaced and he recovered and later told staff he had an out of body experience when his heart stopped and he saw the nurse fling his wig across the room.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:44 pm

Chirpy's post moved here.....

chirpyinsect Today at 7:39 pm

I don't believe in ghosts per se but I do believe in sixth sense,. Not talking about seeing dead people as in the film but a latent feeling I often get regarding situations. Hard to explain here. It's not deja vu or seeing the future it's more a feeling that all is not as it seems. I've had it only a few times but has always proved right so far.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:51 pm

Mimi wrote:I was warned (by someone close to me who studied the occult) when I was in my 20s never to go to ouija board meetings.  It was quite a topic back then and a few people were trying it out.

Likewise in my mid to late teens.. I was always warned by 'elders' not to do it and stay well away etc. But wanted to see with my own eyes after all the 'stories' told/heard.

Tried it with friends on numerous occasions. Camping in the woods to sitting in a churchyard and allsorts inbetween.

Diddly squat. Not a mouse fart. Well apart from a bunch of teenagers giggling away.

Then one time at uni a group of us tried it, it worked.

Never done one since and never would do one again.

I saw with my own eyes it worked and that was enough.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top