Losing children on holiday

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Losing children on holiday

Post  womandotcom on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 3:10 pm

I took my 7 year old grand daughter and my 4 year old grandson to Blackpool last week, for the week.We had some beautiful weather and spent a lot of time on the beach, which they loved. Whilst concentrating on preventing the 4 year old from drowning himself, I looked up and couldn't see my grand daughter anywhere. I knew she'd been playing with another little girl, so I forced myself to stay calm and looked around as much as I could without going too far from our 'spot' in case she came back. I saw the little girl, who looked at me blankly when I asked where K was. By now it was about 15 minutes since I'd seen her, my legs were jelly and I was shaking all over, hardly able even to hold the phone as I called the police. Within 15 minutes there were 4 beach patrol cars out looking for her, my grandson was distressed and crying and I had to try and hold it together and be positive for him. We talk about feeling terrified or scared stiff and use these terms quite flippantly, but for the next hour or so thats exactly how I felt. To cut a long story short, she was returned to me by a very kind lady who'd found her upset and disoriented quite a long way up the beach, the more she tried to find me the more lost she became.  We've all lost sight of the kids in a shop or something for a few minutes, and thats bad enough but for a whole hour I didn't know where my darling grand daughter was, whether she was safe, or frightened or God forbid.. picked up by some pervert. It was a truly horrible way to learn a lesson but for the rest of the holiday, my free-spirited little girl made sure she didn't wander too far again and never went anywhere where she couldn't see me.
I don't post often but I wanted to share this in the hope that it will help me to deal with the worst hour of my life, I am still having bad dreams about it, and also as a reminder to anyone who's going on holiday with young kids, these things do happen.
womandotcom

Back to top Go down

Re: Losing children on holiday

Post  Andrew on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 3:40 pm

That must of been horrendous for you but so very pleased there was a happy outcome in it all.

I had a sort of similar experience recently just before my holiday with my little boy (who is not far off 5 now). He was playing hide and seek with his cousin (same age) in the house. He hid himself so well that nobody could find him. The adults got involved calling and looking everywhere. Nothing. Not a peep from him. I started to panic and then looking outside round the gardens, calling, shouting his name etc. Then ran up the lane to see if he made it to the main road. No sign. Absolutely sh!tt!ng myself by this point. Only about 10/15 minutes if that had passed. Anyway he was hiding in the walk in wardrobe under a load of clothes that I actually missed the first time round. Was such a relief to find him but had to have some quick words and make sure he understands that he needs to respond if we call him etc.

That horrible feeling you get in your stomach - I never ever want to experience that again.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 4:36 pm

I'm sure that all of us with children have had that heart-stopping moment when they are nowhere to be found.

Perhaps the worst incident with my son was one of which I was blissfully unaware at the time. He was 10 or 11 and had gone to Wales with a company that did adventure holidays.

He was difficult the whole time he was there and on the last but one day he disappeared from a beach. The organisers were tearing their hair out and a police search had started; he eventually found his way back to the place where he was staying - minus his shoes; I never found out what happened to them or where he had been.

I'm surprised that I wasn't asked to come and get him right from the start. On one occasion the staff had to sit up all night with him because he was ranting and raving about the other children in the group.
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 6:01 pm

WdC and Andrew. How awful for you both. Thank God you both had a happy outcome. But this just goes to further emphasise the odd behaviour of Kate on finding Madeleine missing. I haven't read her bewk but I have never seen a description of her emotions at that moment where she talks of the dread she was feeling or the panic for Madeleine's fears. She was far too quick to cry abduction.
You both know what a parent goes through and describe it well, yet I have never had this feeling coming from Kate. If that were a true situation you might eventually think abduction but it just wouldn't be your first thought.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 6:07 pm

That is one of the many red flags with Kate's "account of the truth".

The thought that a child had been abducted by a stranger in these circumstances simply would not enter anyone's mind until all other avenues had been explored.

That is why I think that the abduction story had been prepared in advance.
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 6:13 pm

I have, unfortunately, never been blessed with children, no matter how much I'd wanted to have them.
So I can only tell you about missing nephews, nieces and godsons AND pets, cats & dogs. Slipsliding on muddy sloops at midnight at -8ºC with a flashlight between my teeth, a sling in my hand AND a mobile phone to contact the "pompiers" if necessary [they're firemen, but actually do act on every other thing you can imagine, when you need help ...]. And I never, ever gave up before I got them safe at home again.
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

losing children on holiday

Post  womandotcom on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 9:56 pm

chirpyinsect wrote:WdC and Andrew. How awful for you both. Thank God you both had a happy outcome. But this just goes to further emphasise the odd behaviour of Kate on finding Madeleine missing. I haven't read her bewk but I have never seen a description of her emotions at that moment where she talks of the dread she was feeling or the panic for Madeleine's fears. She was far too quick to cry abduction.
You both know what a parent goes through and describe it well, yet I have never had this feeling coming from Kate. If that were a true situation you might eventually think abduction but it just wouldn't be your first thought.

All I know is that if I had been asked to do a tv appeal, even after just that one terrible hour, I could not have done it without showing any emotions.I was a mess, just barely holding it together for my grandson's sake and with lots of support from the police who were calling me every 10 minutes or so. I've never understood that about Kate really, how she was able to do that appeal and keep so calm and straight faced. Even if she was told to do it, how could she?
womandotcom

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top