MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wow what a boss - Virgin's Richard Branson offers staff unlimited holiday

5 posters

Go down

Wow what a boss - Virgin's Richard Branson offers staff unlimited holiday Empty Wow what a boss - Virgin's Richard Branson offers staff unlimited holiday

Post  Admin Thu 25 Sep 2014, 2:04 pm

I know many don't like him but I actually like RB.........

Virgin's Richard Branson offers staff unlimited holiday

The boss of Virgin Group, Sir Richard Branson, is offering his personal staff as much holiday as they want.

On his website, he said that his staff of 170 could "take off whenever they want for as long as they want".

He added that there was no need to ask for approval, nor say when they planned to return, the assumption being that the absence would not damage the firm.

Mr Branson said he was inspired by his daughter, who read about a similar plan at the online TV firm Netflix.

"It is left to the employee alone to decide if and when he or she feels like taking a few hours, a day, a week or a month off," wrote the billionaire.

"The assumption being that they are only going to do it when they feel 100% comfortable that they and their team are up to date on every project and that their absence will not in any way damage the business - or, for that matter, their careers!"

He added that he had introduced the policy in the UK and the US "where vacation policies can be particularly draconian". If it goes well there, Mr Branson said he would encourage subsidiaries to follow suit.

"We should focus on what people get done, not on how many hours or days worked. Just as we don't have a nine-to-five policy, we don't need a vacation policy," he wrote.

The blog is an excerpt from a forthcoming book.

Virgin Group employs more than 50,000 people around the world and operates in more than 50 countries.

Mr Branson started the company in 1970 and it has gone from a mail order record company to having businesses in telecoms, travel and financial services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29356627

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://maddiemccannmystery.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Wow what a boss - Virgin's Richard Branson offers staff unlimited holiday Empty Re: Wow what a boss - Virgin's Richard Branson offers staff unlimited holiday

Post  Guest Thu 25 Sep 2014, 4:13 pm

Charming. I would personally feel very insulted if my boss came along and said, "Take as much time off as you want, we won't notice whether you are here or not".

Back to top Go down

Wow what a boss - Virgin's Richard Branson offers staff unlimited holiday Empty Re: Wow what a boss - Virgin's Richard Branson offers staff unlimited holiday

Post  Guest Thu 25 Sep 2014, 5:03 pm

It seems like a nice idea, but I wonder whether employees might feel pressured to take as little annual leave as possible so that they can get promotion or performance bonuses, and actually end up worse off.

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Thu 25 Sep 2014, 5:08 pm

Typical, two posts both pessimistic. Laughing   That's what is wrong with this country, no one ever looks at the bright side of life........I always do! bounce

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Thu 25 Sep 2014, 5:16 pm

I'm stuck uncomfortably on the fence at the moment - can't decide whether I think it's a good idea or bad!

There have certainly been some people I've known at work who I'd have appreciated much more if they were always on holiday, but that's another story.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Thu 25 Sep 2014, 6:49 pm

I understand it's for "some" of the staff.
Good idea for the intelligent, educated, dedicated, inspired, who should indeed not be restraint by hours or holidays to perform, but only judged by their achievements.
BUT, OMG, "others" may take advantage and bring wheels to grind.
I know ... I've been there Sad and spent many a Christmas alone to keep things going ...
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned Thu 25 Sep 2014, 8:39 pm

I dont trust Richard Branson,he is a con man.But i admire what he has achieved so good luck to him.

For me,when i was in management i was given a great deal of autonomy and paid well for doing an important job.
I enjoyed my work.Holidays are something to look forward to and more enjoyable for that.If given this offer i would continue to work as normal,taking the 'prescribed' breaks that most others are entitled to.
Bransons clever enough to know his senior staff and those with ambition would continue to work their socks off and live and breath the company.

Read about Bransons space Galactic debacle if you dont understand what i mean about being a con man !

Dont like him but i'd put him in charge of the NHS tomorrow if he really fancied a challenge.

Lioned
Lioned

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down