Golliwog Ad

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Golliwog Ad

Post  bluebell on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 4:53 pm

Maybe this is the wrong thread, but just read this ;

Corfe Castle Enid Blyton shop rapped over golliwog ad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-37430242

I understand it is a really sensitive subject nowadays, but I was brought up with collecting the Golliwog labels and getting the badges.   Also with Disney films that would now be considered racist.  Enid Blyton herself has come in for a lot of criticism about the things in her books.

I loved Enid Blyton books when I was a child.  They have not made me become an adult racist.  In no way did they influence my feelings/opinions of different races.   I sincerely believe in a mulltiracial world, though I have some reservations about multiculturist society as that can raise so many problems.

Don't want to begin a thread about racism, religion nor nationalities - but just wondering where this will stop, seems to me it just "accentuates the negatives eliminates the positives" as the song goes.
Perhaps my post needs to be deleted ???

Back to top Go down

Re: Golliwog Ad

Post  Andrew on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 5:17 pm

I had a friend nicknamed Golliwog over 20 years ago. I'm sure the PE teacher used to call him that too. Or Golly for short. Can't be said nowadays.

Enid was great. Loved her books when I was a nipper. Famous 5 and the Tapas 9 were a couple of my faves.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 5:27 pm

Andrew wrote: I had a friend nicknamed Golliwog over 20 years ago. I'm sure the PE teacher used to call him that too. Or Golly for short. Can't be said nowadays.

Enid was great. Loved her books when I was a nipper. Famous 5 and the Tapas 9 were a couple of my faves.

lol!

Is this where I admit to chucking bananas at John Barnes? (not that I ever did, you understand.....)
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 5:28 pm

Andrew wrote: Famous 5 and the Tapas 9 were a couple of my faves.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 6:32 pm

unreorganised wrote:
Andrew wrote: I had a friend nicknamed Golliwog over 20 years ago. I'm sure the PE teacher used to call him that too. Or Golly for short. Can't be said nowadays.

lol!

Is this where I admit to chucking bananas at John Barnes? (not that I ever did, you understand.....)

Ha. I believe you. JB was a legend. Didn't he eat one once when on the pitch...

I don't know.. taking mars bars and bananas to a football game. You'd get a custodial for that these days.

Reminds me of a story 25 plus years ago when on a school trip and was told under no circumstances to throw anything off the eiffel tower....(especially coins). Which of course as soon as I got to the top I did exactly that when I found a franc..

Yes I was a silly sod. Still am in all fairness.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Bloodhound on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 6:33 pm

Ah I remember having several golliwogs, they didn't make me grow up to be racist.
I think a lot of all this, people suing others for being racist, are doing it for a quick pound. I know there are certainly racists out there but it's becoming ridiculous.

Some people can't take a joke these days.

The shop is called "The Ginger Pop shop". I'm surprised half the red heads are not kicking up a fuss.

In saying that, the people who have been abused because of religion or nationality, colour etc, I feel for them and they are right to stand up for equality.

As my lovely daughter always says, there is only one race, the human race. Basketball
Bloodhound

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 7:27 pm

I think Britain is one the least racist countries in the World - for comparison, anybody who is is familiar with Italians or certain Eastern European races will doubtless have been shocked at some of their casual utterances. Then again, a lot of what is touted as racism is simply hurt feelings.

For instance, I wouldn't claim that ""And I would respectfully suggest that in future, if you can't say something constructive about the disappearance of little Madeleine, then you just keep your stupid, sardine-munching mouth shut" is actually racist - it just shows that the writer is a talentless half-wit, but then I knew that anyway.
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 7:31 pm

Andrew wrote:Reminds me of a story 25 plus years ago when on a school trip and was told under no circumstances to throw anything off the eiffel tower....(especially coins). Which of course as soon as I got to the top I did exactly that when I found a franc..

I was once on a field trip to a nuclear power station when one of the lads leaned against a bank of switches in the control room. That was a scary moment for all concerned.

unreorganised

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top