Money - the root of all evil

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Money - the root of all evil

Post  candyfloss on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 2:54 pm

Oh dear, that  dreaded time when someone dies and the will is settled.  This does cause so many problems and families falling out. 

Paul Daniels' son brands Debbie McGee a ‘witch’, claiming she's 'cut him out of late magician's £1.5million estate'

Paul Daniels Jr, 56, has made a series of shocking claims against TV star Debbie following his father's death

Paul Daniels ' son has hit out at his father's widow Debbie McGee, claiming she has cut him out of the late magician's £1.5million estate.
Paul Junior, 56, branded his father's wife a "witch" in a shocking attack, after they fell out over the star's will following his death in March.
According to The Sun on Sunday , Paul left his entire £1.5million estate to Debbie, and his son claims while she promised to look after him and his two brothers financially, she allegedly instead shut the shop he ran in Wigan.
Paul Jr set up the Paul Daniels Magic Party Shop in 2007, selling magic props and fancy dress, with his father - but now claims he's been left 'jobless' after he alleges Debbie closed the business down.

PA
Paul Newton Daniels, the son of millionaire magician Paul Daniels
He told the newspaper: " Debbie McGee is nothing but a false witch who will struggle to survive without my father’s name attached to her.
“Now she’s just a jumped-up dancer with no talent.
“She is running around like a sweet and innocent widow but she doesn’t fool me."

Getty
Magician Paul Daniels and wife Debbie McGee
Paul Jr claims he was told to leave the shop in March, as she was closing it down, and almost became homeless as he struggled to pay the bills afterwards.
Eventually, he alleges a £3,500 redundancy payment was agreed after he contacted employment experts.
It comes amid claims magician Paul left an estate with a gross value of more than £1.5 million - but the net value only came to less than £500,000 after debts and costs.

A spokesman for Debbie told the newspaper the claims were “inaccurate” but declined to comment further.
Mirror Online has contacted Debbie's rep for comment.
It comes after she spoke warmly of her late husband in an emotional interview.

She said she struggles daily after losing the entertainer to cancer six months ago and tries to find relief in ordinary household tasks like watering plants and regular exercise like pilates.
Magician Paul , 77, was diagnosed with a brain tumour in February and died at their home in Berkshire weeks later.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/paul-daniels-son-brands-debbie-9056991

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Money - the root of all evil

Post  Châtelaine on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 3:00 pm

I don't know much about foreign laws, but in a lot of countries it's not possible to disown your own children ...
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 3:44 pm

I don't know how it would be possible to stop anyone from disowning their children (assuming they are adults) if that's what they want to do.

The saying is that it's the love of money that's the root of all evil.

Here's a topic from last year when (disgracefully I feel) a woman was able to overturn her mother's wishes in her will.

http://maddiemccannmystery.forumotion.co.uk/t870-woman-rejected-by-mother-in-will-wins-164k-inheritance-is-this-right-or-wrong
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 4:19 pm

Châtelaine wrote:I don't know much about foreign laws, but in a lot of countries it's not possible to disown your own children ...

We just had to change our Cypriot wills because you cannot now stop your children from having a claim on your estate, unless you state that you wish the law of your country of birth is used. For example:
I am on a second marriage. We each have a child/children by previous spouses. Until this year we could each leave our half of our property to each other. But the European law of succession now applies so, theoretically, if I die my 2 kids could force their stepfather to sell the house to give them their quarter share in our property.He would automatically have his own half and half of my share. As this pay off would be impossible without selling the house it could render him homeless. Of course he could just sell up, settle, then buy a smaller place but the property market is difficult and they would be entitled to their share immediately.
Luckily there is a way out but if the UK adopts this law it could all change again.
We considered buying in France at one time but would have had to buy using a clause tontine to circumvent the succession issue.
My belief is that your kids are only entitled to what you leave after both partners have died. Debbie and Paul were married a long time. It's not as though she was some Jenny come lately.
If Paul had wanted him to have sonething it would have been in the will.

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 4:29 pm

That link from last year which you have posted is astonishing Freedom. Maybe after legal fees that daughter gained little benefit. What is the point of making a will with specific bequests then if it can be overturned in that way ?

Surely a person should be allowed to leave whatever they have to whomever they wish.
P Daniels' son is obviously bitter, but seems it was Paul who 'cut him out' not Debbie.

Money, money, and more money, obsesses some unfortunately.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 4:33 pm

I'd be interested to hear how Paul's other two sons feel about this.
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 4:49 pm

Actually @ chirps I'm surprised how many people have been buying a second or main property abroad this last decade or so and given no consideration to the inheritance laws of those countries.
Seems ignorance is preferable to some and assumption that just because you are British and buy abroad then British laws apply Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 5:32 pm

bluebell wrote:Actually  @ chirps  I'm surprised how many people have been buying a second or main property abroad this last decade or so and given no consideration to the inheritance laws of those countries.  
Seems ignorance is preferable to some and assumption that just because you are British and buy abroad then British laws apply       Rolling Eyes  

I have to admit bluebell it would be the last thing I thought of (Inheritance law) when buying abroad.  Where the nearest M & S is would be a priority on the list not death. Smile

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 5:46 pm

bluebell wrote:Actually  @ chirps  I'm surprised how many people have been buying a second or main property abroad this last decade or so and given no consideration to the inheritance laws of those countries.  
Seems ignorance is preferable to some and assumption that just because you are British and buy abroad then British laws apply       Rolling Eyes  

My sole heir is one of my nephews. He'll pay 60% in FR and of what's left 40% in NL!
I'm taking "measures" ...
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 8:03 pm

We considered it very carefully when we bought 13 years ago because of our slightly convoluted family situation. We made Cypriot wills which, at the time, allowed for us to leave our respective half of the property to each other. The law changed last year so we couldn't have foreseen this. But you are quite right in that we know many people who haven't bothered changing their will because it costs a few bob. It's all well and good if you trust your kids but money has a way of bringing out the worst in some people.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:12 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/debbie-mcgee-heartbroken-family-row-9106865

Debbie McGee is heartbroken at the family row over the £1.5million fortune left by her magician husband Paul Daniels.

The legendary entertainer’s 57-year-old widow has been branded “a witch” by his son Paul Junior.

He claims Debbie cut him out of his father’s will, closed his magic shop and left him at risk of being homeless.

But another of Daniels’s three sons from his first marriage, 53-year-old Martin, angrily stepped into the feud yesterday.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:19 pm

Freedom wrote:I'd be interested to hear how Paul's other two sons feel about this.

I have my wish!

I had a feeling that they would not agree.
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:31 pm

Andrew wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/debbie-mcgee-heartbroken-family-row-9106865

Debbie McGee is heartbroken at the family row over the £1.5million fortune left by her magician husband Paul Daniels.

The legendary entertainer’s 57-year-old widow has been branded “a witch” by his son Paul Junior.

Look on the bright side. At least he didn't dunk her to see if she floated, then burn her at the stake....

I'm still waiting for Paul Daniels to follow through on his promise to leave the country in the event of Labour winning the 1997 general election.
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 11:13 pm

He's not very likely to keep that promise now!
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 11:32 pm

Speaking of siblings falling out......

Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 8:59 am

An appropriate (or not?) name - Camilla - for a royal editor!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/724136/prince-andrew-requests-princesses-beatrice-eugenie-kensington-prince-charles-queen-william
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 9:12 am

Another story with money causing problems......

£148m Lotto winner evicts disabled family friend because she couldn’t afford £250 rent rise 

• Kym Mills was best friend of Gillian Bayford who scooped £148m in 2012
  • Moved into home on her enormous estate and started a job for the couple
  • But when Bayfords divorced in 2013, friendships turned sour
  • Disabled Ms Mills says she's being evicted when millionaire put up rent

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3863384/148m-Lotto-winner-evicts-disabled-family-friend-couldn-t-afford-250-rent-rise.html

candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 10:39 am

The win also apparently caused Mrs Bayford's parents to disown her!

I shall just be happy with the £5.00 I've won this week on Thunderball - nobody will disown me over that.
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 2:33 pm

There will be no fallings out here then....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3874400/World-s-richest-man-Bill-Gates-says-three-children-understand-won-t-leaving-70billion-fortune-dies.html
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 3:08 pm

Good for them.

I was though very disappointed (!) when I found out that Bill wasn't going to send the money he promised me.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/ms-money-giveway-hoax.html
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 3:30 pm

You certainly seem to be a target for various different hoaxes and the like, Freedom.

I think Bill's kids will be more than happy with a mere billion to divide up. They should be able to get by on that.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 10:12 pm

Absolutely Andrew and they will probably have a load of shares in Microsoft......so not really telling the whole story is he? They will keep their status in the society they are used to living in at the moment......Bill knows that... He just doesn't want anyone to figure it out!

Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 9:26 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2125072/david-gests-family-sue-after-im-a-celeb-star-left-them-nothing-while-giving-his-lawyer-10million/

I’M A Celebrity star David Gest’s family have begun legal action after they were left nothing in his will.
The US entertainer, who died from a stroke aged 62 in April, left most of his estimated £10million fortune to his attorney.

10 Million... I'm sure all the papers were saying he was skint, heavily in debt and living out of a hotel or something at the time of his death scratch
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 6:52 pm

It does sound a bit unusual to be leaving most of your money to your lawyer - perhaps it was the one who sorted out his divorce from Liza Minnelli!
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 7:10 pm

I seem to recall he wanted exactly 10 million from Liza Minnelli when he divorced.

Yes, I should imagine it is the same lawyer.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top