MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rillington Place murders

+3
Freedom
Andrew
Guinea Pig
7 posters

Go down

The Rillington Place murders Empty Re: The Rillington Place murders

Post  Guinea Pig Thu 18 Aug 2016, 4:40 pm

My grandmother used to talk about the John Christie / Timothy Evans cases in Notting Hill.

I've read up on it and I'm not convinced that a mistake was made here. There are some people who think that Evans and not Christie DID kill his wife Beryl and baby. Beryl's brother always believed that Evans was responsible.

Guinea Pig
Guinea Pig

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 18 Aug 2016, 4:44 pm

10 Rillington Place.

Will have to refresh my memory on that one.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

The Rillington Place murders Empty temporary topic

Post  Freedom Tue 23 Aug 2016, 9:55 am

Re 10 Rillington Place, I think that the belief (almost universal it seems) that Christie killed Mrs Evans and baby is due to people thinking that there couldn't have been two murderers in the house at the same time.

They were though very different murders. I won't go into the details of what Christie did to his victims but he was a serial killer who then buried or hid them where they would not be readily found.

Timothy Evans found himself in a situation where he could not cope - he was of limited intelligence, had mounting debts, a low paid job and, what was likely to have pushed him over the edge, another baby on the way. The bodies were not concealed in the way that Christie's victims were.

So I agree with Guinea Pig that there is an element of doubt but we'll never know for sure now.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

The Rillington Place murders Empty The Rillington Place murders

Post  Freedom Tue 29 Nov 2016, 11:08 pm

I know that this has been mentioned before but I can't find where.

The BBC has a three part series on this case. Here is the first part.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b084k66c/rillington-place-1-ethel

The house has been recreated very well. My mother talked about the dreadful conditions - and she'd known a few in her time - that people in the whole road lived in.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Wed 30 Nov 2016, 12:02 am

Watched the first episode this evening.   I really know little about Christie except he waas a serial killer/

I am hooked now, it's well acted and I thought the programme gave off a very uncomfortable atmosphere throughout - probably because we more or less know what's being hidden          Shocked

There is an article on the BBC website that is interesting,  about how the idea for the series came about etc.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/entries/9d34d551-62d0-49fd-9ce3-860e7a474e2f 

Bringing Rillington Place to BBC One
Monday 28 November 2016, 16:20

BBC Writersroom
Ed Whitmore and Tracey Malone are the writing team who researched and wrote the script for BBC One's new dramatisation of the notorious murders committed by John Christie at 10 Rillington Place. They explain how they became involved and why telling this story has become so important to them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 30 Nov 2016, 12:32 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Christie_(murderer)

I thought we mentioned the Rillington stuff before as well. scratch

Didn't realise a new TV drama had come out about it though.

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Wed 30 Nov 2016, 7:49 am

I only found it by chance when looking at the TV guide yesterday.

Bluebell, that's strange - the link you gave to the BBC website worked five minutes ago and I started to read the blog but now it's gone.

Not all the reviews are good - many complaints about hard to hear dialogue but, as I rely on subtitles all the time, I hadn't noticed that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3984464/Viewers-moan-mumbling-new-serial-killer-drama-Rillington-Place.html

P.S. This link works - it appears to be identical to the first one!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/entries/9d34d551-62d0-49fd-9ce3-860e7a474e2f
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 30 Nov 2016, 9:02 am

It was also an excellent film in 1971 starring Richard Attenborough, John Hurt and Judy Geeson - they filmed it in the actual street using a house neighbouring Number 10. It really did capture the grimness of the lives these people lived.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Rillington_Place

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Wed 30 Nov 2016, 9:16 am

The layout of the house was similar to the one where I lived as a child though I hasten to add it wasn't quite that squalid! It was common then for the different floors to be let to separate families with no structural severance and one outside toilet shared by all.

My family lived on the ground floor and, thankfully in our case, there was a separate door through which the upstairs tenant could access the toilet; she and my mother didn't get on and it would have been a nightmare if she was frequently tramping through our living room.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 30 Nov 2016, 9:19 am

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Wed 30 Nov 2016, 6:00 pm

Tim Roth is soooo good in this. Good actor of course, but he really portrays Christie's psychopathic character so well.
Not that I know any psychopaths to my knowledge .
Can't recommend it enough. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Wed 07 Dec 2016, 3:12 pm

The second part focusing on the arrival of Tim Evans and his wife.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08509y1/rillington-place-2-tim
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Wed 07 Dec 2016, 3:21 pm

Freedom wrote:The second part focusing on the arrival of Tim Evans and his wife.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08509y1/rillington-place-2-tim

I tried to watch again last night, had the TV turned up so loud and still couldn't make out half the words!! I am going a bit deaf these days, but apparently many have complained about the poor sound and mumbling.  I should watch with subtitles but will have to find out how to get them up on screen Smile

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guinea Pig Wed 07 Dec 2016, 3:25 pm

There should be a button marked subtitles on your remote control.
Guinea Pig
Guinea Pig

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Wed 07 Dec 2016, 3:33 pm

I don't know about the sound as since I lost hearing in one ear after an accident I always have tv loud and subtitles on every programme as well if I can.
I watched part two but found it quite upsetting.  Maybe I should have read about the story beforehand to be prepared.   Still think it's well acted, believably portrayed, but very disturbing.

*** just saw Guinea Pig's post above. On my remote it is the "help" button that will get the subtitles up for you.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Wed 07 Dec 2016, 3:58 pm

I have subtitles whenever they are available because, as I have mentioned before, I can't phase out any background noises.

There were a couple of times during the programme yesterday when I couldn't hear anything at all of what was being said.

Did you notice one of the house rules given by Christie to the Evanses? No use of the toilet between 10 at night and 7 in the morning!
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  joyce1938 Wed 07 Dec 2016, 11:54 pm

I just decided not to watch this tv programn ,mostly because ,I remember it first hand ,and funnily that did make me feel that its not good entertainment ,was so awfull .somethings that occur in our lifetime just seems different to just watching a similar thing ,that is made up .joyce1938
joyce1938
joyce1938

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Thu 08 Dec 2016, 7:06 am

If how Roth is portraying Christie is true to character then the guy really was spooky.
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Thu 08 Dec 2016, 8:55 am

I think that his performance is as good as that of Richard Attenborough in the 1971 film; here's a short extract. I understand that the house used for the filming actually was in Rillington Place.

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Thu 08 Dec 2016, 9:21 am

A few comments from yesterday's Express article........

KENT_LADY

We've only seen episode one so far and l have to say we are really disappointed.  Can't actually understand alot of what Tim Roth is  muttering and the sound quality in general is bad - yet again.  Not a patch on the Richard Attenborough / John Hurt film.   ln this house this new mini series is a big Fail. 

(edited)18 hours ago
GeoffAlan

Chilling! It's the worst enactment I've seen. Dismal and slow without any real menace. If you want to see a realistic version watch Richard Attenborough's, 10 Rillington Place with the superb John  Hurt as Timothy Evan's - it knocks spots of this puerile offering by the BBC. 

(edited)19 hours ago
troyrickr

Try watching the film with Richard Attenborough as Christie & John Hurt as Timothy Evans. Brilliant.

(edited)7 hours ago
KENT_LADY

Totally agree troy - just posted the same thing.  This is not in the same league as the film.

(edited)19 hours ago
Carlos15

Sadly Timothy Evans was executed because he was feeble minded and Christie framed him, but in this day and age with forensic evidence etc these people should be euthanised like a vet puts pets to sleep, and this includes all those killers languishing at Her Majesties Pleasure. This would not only save the country £Millions per year, but also act as a deterrent!!!
]

+4

(edited)19 hours ago
Gillian54

Tim Roth has played this role superbly and makes you really feel uncomfortable with the character. Real evil maybe very rare in general, but Christie is just so creepy and not only did he kill women, but he killed a child was well, which makes him doubly evil. This was sensational in its day, but unfortunately, these things happen a lot more, or is it just because they are now brought to our attention through modern media. I hope Tim Roth received some kind of reward in the role, because he really is very creepy.

Rillington Place: Who was John Christie? The evil truth behind the real-life murders

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/740849/Rillington-Place-BBC-2016-John-Christie-who-was-profile-killer-murders

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Thu 08 Dec 2016, 8:40 pm

Any one watch "In plain sight" on ITV last night another fact based crime story? I did thought it was good its a three parter the first was last night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/12/07/plain-sight-good-old-fashioned-scrap-right-wrong-review/
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 08 Dec 2016, 9:19 pm

Heisenburg wrote:Any one watch "In plain sight" on ITV last night another fact based crime story? I did thought it was good its a three parter the first was last night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/12/07/plain-sight-good-old-fashioned-scrap-right-wrong-review/

I didn't. And not seen any of the Rillington stuff yet but it's been recorded.

Was just reading about that case on Wiki. Not heard of it before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Manuel
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Thu 08 Dec 2016, 11:14 pm

Heisenburg wrote:Any one watch "In plain sight" on ITV last night another fact based crime story? I did thought it was good its a three parter the first was last night.

Thanks, didn't see that so will watch on iplayer and can record future episodes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down