McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!! GONCALO WINS 31/01/17 in Supreme Court

Page 8 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!!  GONCALO WINS  31/01/17  in Supreme Court  - Page 8 Empty Re: McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!! GONCALO WINS 31/01/17 in Supreme Court

Post  Satsuma on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 9:32 am

There are no specific restraining orders on the media that I know of, only the usual one that we have to be 100 per cent sure of our facts before we state them in public. Otherwise it's libel. And that is still true despite yesterday's judgement - it isn't relevant to English law. In this case, the number of proven facts is minimal. But that's interesting in itself
Satsuma
Satsuma

Back to top Go down

McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!!  GONCALO WINS  31/01/17  in Supreme Court  - Page 8 Empty Re: McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!! GONCALO WINS 31/01/17 in Supreme Court

Post  candyfloss on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 9:54 am

TheTruthWillOut wrote:
Andrew wrote:TTWO... I was having a sort of conversation about this stuff with a random in the boozer earlier... And I said (might be wrong), that the MSM are very much in the 'loop' with regards to the McStuff, and chomping at the  bit to be 'let loose'...

They'll all be wanted to get let off the leash, and they will very soon.

Exciting times ahead. (wrong word to be fair - more like promising times, or rightful times)

No mercy and and all that when the green light appears.

Call me a sucker but I've always thought (even in the darkest times) the press did some sort of deal with TPTB to hold off with a promise. I think whether there is any truth in this will be answered very soon...

I remember an interview when Redwood first started Op Grange, he said then that no matter what the press had he advised they not print and  be careful what they printed, and give Grange a chance to investigate without interference. ....  I do remember this distinctly but not his exact words.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 9:57 am

Satsuma wrote:There are no specific restraining orders on the media that I know of, only the usual one that we have to be 100 per cent  sure of our facts before we state them in public. Otherwise it's libel. And that is still true despite yesterday's judgement - it isn't relevant to English law.  In this case, the number of proven facts is minimal. But that's interesting in itself

It wasn't just a matter of a hamstrung press sitting on their hands though, was it. In the early days the McCanns were lauded by the media, and were heavily supported by sections of it on several notable occasions since and in some parts still are to this very day.

So you know where you can stick your faux neutrality, don't you.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyB on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 10:07 am

The whole point of super-injunctions is that we don't know about them. We do though have a very heavy hint that one exists in relation to this case from the transcript of Diane Websters rogatory interview with PC4078:
4078    “You also, when we spoke earlier, expressed a sense of frustration about the fact that you’d all been banned by the Super (inaudible).”
Reply    “That’s right, yes.”
AndyB
AndyB

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 10:11 am

Being frustrated in your efforts to say what you really want to is a long way from the Daily Mail's approach of just today - running a huge puff piece for Kate McCann's pet project.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 10:18 am

I'm hoping that the Daily Mail is extracting the urine big time in the way that it did over the injunction banning identification of the extra marital affairs celebrity couple.

In the same issue that there was a rant at being unable to run the story, there was another sick bucket nauseating one with photos of the couple and their children, saying how idyllic their relationship is.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Satsuma on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 10:26 am

unreorganised wrote:
Satsuma wrote:There are no specific restraining orders on the media that I know of, only the usual one that we have to be 100 per cent  sure of our facts before we state them in public. Otherwise it's libel. And that is still true despite yesterday's judgement - it isn't relevant to English law.  In this case, the number of proven facts is minimal. But that's interesting in itself

It wasn't just a matter of a hamstrung press sitting on their hands though, was it. In the early days the McCanns were lauded by the media, and were heavily supported by sections of it on several notable occasions since and in some parts still are to this very day.

So you know where you can stick your faux neutrality, don't you.

Yes - in the early days, but you appear to have forgotten or ignored many newspaper articles published in August 2007 that questioned the official line. They raised a number of serious issues. But there was nothing to back them up except suspicion. As a result, the newspapers were warned of their responsibilities and the Express was sued. Understandably, the UK  media has held itself back since

So I'm afraid your analysis of the UK press  is completely wrong. But there's no excuse for printing nonsense, and there has been rather too much of that

You have to remember though, that GA's version is no more a matter of fact than anything else,  and picking holes in it is all too easy

Regarding superinjunctions, they may not be public knowledge, but journalists would know which stories are subject to one because their editors would tell them to back off. And there aren't any that I've ever been told about, just the rule that says don't write libellous stuff (ie that anything you can't prove)
Satsuma
Satsuma

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 10:39 am

"4 - I have not only read the police files I was in Portugal when they were released & oversaw their translation #mccann"

I thought "oversaw" meant some form of authority? Or someone slightly higher up?

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyB on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 10:40 am

unreorganised wrote:
AndyB wrote:
The whole point of super-injunctions is that we don't know about them. We do though have a very heavy hint that one exists in relation to this case from the transcript of Diane Websters rogatory interview with PC4078:
4078    “You also, when we spoke earlier, expressed a sense of frustration about the fact that you’d all been banned by the Super (inaudible).”
Reply    “That’s right, yes.”

Being frustrated in your efforts to say what you really want to is a long way from the Daily Mail's approach of just today - running a huge puff piece for Kate McCann's pet project.
I totally agree. I was moved to post by satsuma's comment that "There are no specific restraining orders on the media that I know of".
AndyB
AndyB

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 10:45 am

Freedom wrote:I'm hoping that the Daily Mail is extracting the urine big time in the way that it did over the injunction banning identification of the extra marital affairs celebrity couple.

In the same issue that there was a rant at being unable to run the story, there was another sick bucket nauseating one with photos of the couple and their children, saying how idyllic their relationship is.

That did cross my mind. I just wish they wouldn't.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Poe on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 11:27 am

The Mail's "moderated" comments are far from supportive of our potential, but only if televised, songbird.
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 11:37 am

Poe wrote:

The Mail's "moderated" comments are far from supportive of our potential, but only if televised, songbird.

https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/sing+like+a+canary.html
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:09 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4180046/Kate-Gerry-McCann-fury-libel-battle-defeat.html

'It's not about money... this is PERSONAL': Kate and Gerry McCann's fury at losing battle over 'false smears' of Portuguese detective who accused them of covering up Maddie's death

Kate and Gerry McCann have lost their bitter libel fight with Goncalo Amaral
Portuguese detective claimed in a book Maddie died and couple covered it up
Maddie's anguished parents told a friend that they are furious at the decision
Couple could now face financial ruin over the decision by the Portuguese court
But pair told a friend case had become personal and was never about the money
Said they brought action to stop Portuguese detective 'spouting false smears'
They said his claims that they were involved hampered the search for Madeleine

By TRACEY KANDOHLA AND GERARD COUZENS FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 13:38, 1 February 2017 | UPDATED: 13:38, 1 February 2017

The anguished parents of Madeleine McCann today told of their fury at failing to silence a Portuguese police chief from 'spouting false smears' over their daughter's disappearance.

Kate and Gerry McCann said their eight-year libel battle with detective Goncalo Amaral, who claims Maddie died and they covered it up, had become deeply personal - and was not about money.

The 'devastated' couple could face financial ruin after losing their fight with Amaral, on the eve of their twins Sean and Amilie's 12th birthday.

But a close friend today insisted their legal fight wasn't about compensation, but to gag their 'tormentor-in-chief' whose theories they felt hampered the search to find her.

'It was never about winning big libel damages,' said the friend. 'It's always been more of a personal battle. They are bitterly disappointed they have lost but not totally surprised.

'It was all about them silencing him to stop him spouting untruths. The whole point of the libel action was to try and stop Mr Amaral spreading false accusations, which they felt hampered the search for Madeleine.

The friend went on: 'Any award would have gone into the Madeleine's Fund to help find their daughter and would never have been used for Kate and Gerry's own use.

'They are considering whether to appeal the decision and need to take advice from their Portuguese lawyer. But I think they just want to draw a line under it.'

The friend said the couple are now considering whether to appeal and will seek advice from their legal team in Portugal before deciding on their next move.

But the source added: 'To say they are upset and angry would be an understatement. But their main and only focus is to find Madeleine who has been missing for nearly 10 years. They will be able to concentrate on this totally now.'

In the bitter legal battle, the McCanns successfully sued Amaral for €500,000 damages, whom they branded 'a poisonous liar'.

But a higher court reversed the decision and judges in Lisbon have upheld the U-turn.

The payout would have been added to the official Find Maddie Fund set up through public donations and boosted by big-hearted celebrities to finance the worldwide hunt for the missing girl.

The Fund once stood at £1million but is now closer to £300,000 and could be wiped out by the Portugal's Supreme Court shock ruling.

A source close to the family said: 'This news is devastating, not just for Kate and Gerry but for Madeleine wherever she is.

'It's not good news. We just don't know what to do but we need to sit down with our lawyer and discuss it.

'We've gone to the pinnacle of the Portuguese legal system and we've lost. We now have to pay a sizeable amount in costs.'

As the Scotland Yard search for Madeleine – who disappeared as a three-year-old from a holiday apartment in the Algarve's Praia da Luz – is being wound down the McCann's had been keeping the soon-to-be-obliterated fund as a life-line to pay for their own ongoing search the moment the investigation, codenamed Operation Grange, ends.

Ex GP Kate and heart doctor Gerry, both 48, from Rothley, Leicestershire, live in hope that 'a miracle' will one day reunite them with their daughter. If still alive, she would turn 14 in mid May.

The appeal hearing in Lisbon which ruled against the McCanns was held in private.

A spokesperson from their lawyer's office said: 'This is a big disappointment and very bitter for us and for Mr and Mrs McCann.

'We know the libel decision has gone against us but we do not know the basis of the ruling and will not find out until Thursday.'

Mr Amaral, 56, who the McCanns first sued for libel in June 2009, won the lengthy legal fight after judges decided he had the 'right to freedom of expression.'

Madeleine's parents could now lodge an appeal to the highest court in Europe, the European Court of Human Rights.

But a source close to the exasperated couple said: 'I think the fight is finally over. They want to concentrate on finding Madeleine and don't think they have the time or energy to lodge yet another appeal.'

Mr Amaral, who led the initial bungled search to help find their daughter, claimed in a once banned book that Madeleine was dead.

He was later sacked for criticising the British police handling of the case.

He has since made a fortune from his best-seller 'The Truth of the Lie' in which he claims Madeleine is dead and her parents 'staged a cover up'.

It has been translated into six languages and sold hundreds of thousands of copies worldwide.

It led to libel action from the distraught McCanns and action in a civil court, an appeal court and finally the Supreme Court.

Amaral is understood to have earned 400,000 euros (£344,000) from his book before it was banned and a subsequent TV documentary.

He claimed in the book Madeleine had died in their holiday flat and they had faked her abduction to cover up the tragedy.

The book was released just three days after Gerry and Kate McCann were told their status as arguidos or formal suspects had been lifted on July 21, 2008.

Amaral's lawyer claimed the McCanns had taken legal action 'to rid themselves of guilt for their negligent conduct' in leaving Madeleine and her siblings alone while they ate tapas with friends nearby.

He also claimed their lack of co-operation with the Portuguese police authorities had led to the archiving of the investigation in 2008.

The McCann's fiercely deny his allegations. In a 36-page writ, lodged nearly eight years ago, they describe him as a self obsessed, manipulative money-grabber and accuse him of libel and breaching their human rights.

In documents they describe in detail the pain and anguish he has caused the family by repeatedly smearing them, and say his slurs have left them 'totally destroyed' and most importantly had hindered the search for Madeleine.

Scotland Yard are busy investigating one 'last throw of the dice' lead in a bid to end the family's torment but time could be running out as police now have just two months left of guaranteed Government funding to continue to unravel an 'important' new tip.

Detectives on the Madeleine inquiry recently revealed they are working on a final theory that the youngster was kidnapped by a European trafficking gang.

The 'spotters' are believed to have targeted the blonde toddler taking photographs of her while she was playing on the beach and beside the pool at her holiday apartment.

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  poster on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:28 pm

Interesting accusations the McCanns throw at Dr Amaral - I would say they could be talking about themselves.....they most certainly can be accused of the thing they are saying about Dr Anaral. Hilarious really. There is not a shred of evidence for the McCann's version of events so why aren't they gagged and sued for libel? It would seem they have libelled a great many people, imo. Dr Amaral, the Portuguese police, the 'trolls' who didn't believe them....
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Poe on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:48 pm

From the article in Andrew's post:

Ex GP Kate and heart doctor Gerry, both 48, from Rothley, Leicestershire, live in hope that 'a miracle' will one day reunite them with their daughter. If still alive, she would turn 14 in mid May.

I can't see how it would be helpful to the McCann case at this point for their tame journo to point out that Madeleine might be dead as opposed to "live and findable"

Let's see whether that line gets edited out Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mo on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:48 pm

Deleted posted by Andrew

Last edited by Mo on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mo
Mo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 2:50 pm

http://www.itv.com/hub/loose-women/1a3173a2709

Can't stand the programme myself but might watch it later on.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  dannii on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:11 pm

I turned the TV on just as they were talking about it it's obvious they are told what NOT to say,i got the impression that Lisa Riley does'nt believe the Mccanns.The fact that they stutter when talking about the Mccanns tells me they would really like to say what they really think.
dannii
dannii

Back to top Go down

Post  poster on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:32 pm

dannii wrote:I turned the TV on just as they were talking about it it's obvious they are told what NOT to say,i got the impression that Lisa Riley does'nt believe the Mccanns.The fact that they stutter when talking about the Mccanns tells me they would really like to say what they really think.

I wonder if the McCanns are going to be thrown to the wolves....the press love putting people on pedestals and then pulling them down. So many journalists must have been sniggering when they watched Kate and Gerry in interviews, thinking they had pulled the wool over everyone's eyes. The Irish journalist played them beautifully, imo. Didn't believe a word of what they said, imo. But usefully flagged up that the pair had had a row that week...which Kate denied which must mean it is important. The crying incident is also important, imo.
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:36 pm

dannii wrote:I turned the TV on just as they were talking about it it's obvious they are told what NOT to say,i got the impression that Lisa Riley does'nt believe the Mccanns.The fact that they stutter when talking about the Mccanns tells me they would really like to say what they really think.

I've not watched it as yet but I will do - but I get the impression that not a lot of people really believe the McCanns. They just act it out as if they do/instructed to. Be interesting to be a fly on the wall and listen to the women gossiping backstage about it all when there's no actual cameras on them...

Probably cooing over Eddie and Keela and saying what great dogs they were. Very Happy
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 3:46 pm

poster wrote:

I wonder if the McCanns are going to be thrown to the wolves....the press love putting people on pedestals and then pulling them down. So many journalists must have been sniggering when they watched Kate and Gerry in interviews, thinking they had pulled the wool over everyone's eyes. The Irish journalist played them beautifully, imo. Didn't believe a word of what they said, imo. But usefully flagged up that the pair had had a row that week...which Kate denied which must mean it is important. The crying incident is also important, imo.

Quite right @ poster. Be good to have them interviewed by someone like Sandra the Portuguese journalist who riled G enough to say "Ask the dogs Sandra!" She was polite (passive aggressive) but came across as confident and knowledgeable. I hope it is gloves off now.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 5:03 pm

Last year Kate and Gerry revealed they had told their twins “everything” about Madeleine’s disappearance

I very much doubt that.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 01 Feb 2017, 6:42 pm

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/thank-you.html

1 Feb 2017
Thank you

Yesterday, it became known that the Supreme Court in Lisbon ruled in favour of Gonçalo Amaral, in the long running lawsuit that was filed against him over his book "Maddie: A Verdade da Mentira".

This is the culmination of a costly, difficult process that caused a lot of pain and distress, not only to the persons directly involved, but also to many who refused to be silenced, both on the internet and 'offline'.

Nonetheless, it also brought out the very best in so many people who have shown their support, both morally and materially, over so many years. It has been tremendously encouraging and heartening, and it must unequivocally be stated that without you, it would simply not have been possible to walk this road towards Justice.

We await the publication of the Court's decision and will update you soon with relevant information.

In the meantime, there are simply no words that even remotely match the strength and the tenacity that you have dedicated to this process.

So a mere "Thank you" will have to do.

Projecto Justiça Gonçalo Amaral

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next