Federal judge overturns travel ban

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Federal judge overturns travel ban

Post  chirpyinsect on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 7:11 am

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/317884-washington-state-judge-halts-trump-immigration-ban-nationwide&ved=0ahUKEwjLgZ7F8fXRAhUCiRoKHYkdDMAQFghXMA8&usg=AFQjCNHbxzol0JLpmvTx0CBwwfO2eJlI8Q

Federal judge halts Trump travel ban nationwide
TheHill.com

00:0000:35
A federal judge in Seattle issued a temporary nationwide restraining order Friday stopping President Trump's executive order banning citizens of seven countries from entering the United States.

Judge James Robart, who was appointed by former President George Bush in 2003, ruled the executive order would be stopped nationwide, effective immediately.

“The Constitution prevailed today,” Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson said in a statement after the ruling. “No one is above the law — not even the President.”

"It's our president's duty to honor this ruling and I'll make sure he does," Ferguson added.

The ruling, made at the request of Washington and Minnesota, is the broadest to date against Trump's executive order.

Ferguson, a Democrat, filed the lawsuit three days after Trump signed the executive order. The suit argued that the travel ban targets Muslims and violates constitutional rights of immigrants and their families.

The White House pledged action “at the earliest possible time” in a late Friday statement.

"At the earliest possible time, the Department of Justice intends to file an emergency stay of this order and defend the executive order of the President, which we believe is lawful and appropriate," the late Friday statement read.

The White House initially labeled the judge's action an "outrageous order" but within 10 minutes had sent a second, nearly identical statement that stripped out that adjective.

“The president’s order is intended to protect the homeland and he has the constitutional authority and responsibility to protect the American people," it continued.

The State Department said it was working with the Department of Homeland Security to determine how the ruling affects operations, according to CNN

Last edited by chirpyinsect on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)

Back to top Go down

Re: Federal judge overturns travel ban

Post  Mimi on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 3:05 pm

This hasn`t been handled very well but I can see why it had to be done that way.

There is no ban - how many times does Sean Spicer have to say this.

It`s funny how the press are geeing up islamophobia when the main threat has always been from Mexican`s that BO let in and the sanctuary cities that protect them.  The Mexican illegals that have committed crime after crime and are never sent back - even the one`s that have murdered people.

The press are making out there is a ban against moslems when there is no ban, it`s just more extreme vetting from those from countries where CIA intelligence has highlighted the main risks - it was the CIA reports from BO`s era too, which Pompeo will update with latest intelligence.  

What I don`t understand is why the USA and our country are not being more restrictive on Saudi Arabia where all this extreme Wahabiism emanates from.

I see both sides and watch both sides reporting and I am very cagey about DT putting all his money on Netanyahou and the Israelis.  It does worry me that there is going to be a massive attack on moslems worldwide and the Jew/Moslem rift is really going to flare up bigtime.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 4:36 pm

Isn't it sad, when you consider that Koran, Torah & Old Testament all sing from the same sheet?
There's so much "violence" in each of them, based on "life-style" and circumstances THEN.
The only difference since those old times is the New Testament. Instead of "an eye for an eye" it became "I'll turn you the other cheek to slap me".
Religions based on 1000's-years-old ways of living and thinking cannot, shouldn't play a role anymore in today's society.
Long ago the "Christians" fought the Muslims. Then later on those Muslims brought wisdom, art & science to Europe.
Mohamed was a "fan" of Jesus. He named him a great "prophet".

I'm not a religious person anymore. But: I do live the best way I can, treat people, animal and nature around me the best I can. I'm grateful for their existence. There's more, but not in those books and certainly not in those wars.

IMO a terrorist is someone, who doesn't/cannot live like that, because of his [non]upbringing. Fired by others, who may know better, but want to give themselves a major position.

To be continued.
My dogs ... again ...

Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 5:08 pm

This absence of vetting was a constant concern during BO`s tenure.

Below is Congress in action not long ago questioning the reasons for all the murders done by Mexican illegals - with my favourite Congressmen Trey Gowdy and Jason Chaffetz. I love watching court cases and how the prosecutors word their questions pertaining to truth and law. There is a case about middle east terrorists as well.

Imagine if Kate and Gerry were questioned in this fashion - "I`d just like you to explain to me Mrs. McCann, so I can understand where ya`ll coming from" in his South Carolina accent.  He`s such a clever man.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyB on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 9:09 am

Mimi wrote:What I don`t understand is why the USA and our country are not being more restrictive on Saudi Arabia where all this extreme Wahabiism emanates from.
Several billion pounds worth of arms sales. Besides, extremism in the middle east is useful to our government in that it provides the opportunity to exaggerate the threat to us via terrorism, which is then used to justify our freedoms being eroded
AndyB

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top