Stories that are just downright weird / silly

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stories that are just downright weird / silly

Post  Guest on Mon 22 Sep 2014, 2:19 pm

It's bigger news than a missing teenage boy from last week which sparked a nationwide alert then turned out to be a hoax

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/twink-beyond-pain-after-her-beloved-teddy-dognapped-30602917.html

Twink 'beyond pain' after her beloved 'Teddy' dog-napped 

Twink answers her front door on Friday evening at 4.30pm in a Old Testament-like flood of tears.

"The b*ds! The f*g b*ds!" she shrieks. For the next two hours, the tsunami of tears rarely lets up in her Knocklyon home.

"My heart is f*g broken. Someone has taken my baby! Who would do such a thing as to be steal my baby! I feel like he has been snatched from my bosom!" she cries.

The stolen baby she is referring to is her 'beloved family dog' Teddy Bear, a Miniature Yorkshire Terrier with silver/blond colouring, and a collar and name tag with his famous owners' info on it. "He's also micro-chipped," she says as she brings us through to the kitchen. "He is very sweet and friendly and is loved by everyone he meets."

Perhaps not everyone. Teddy, who was taken here, from her home, between the hours, she believes, of 3.30pm (when her daughter Naomi - and the last in Twink's family to see Teddy - left the house in the Dublin suburb) and 6.30pm (when Twink left the house to visit a friend) last Thursday and has not been seen or heard of since.

.....I have never seen her so upset in my life. I ask who she thinks stole Teddy.

"That is an FBI question. I am an entertainer. I'm not a f*g detective. The options are taken for mischief, taken deliberately by Irish puppy farm criminals who have marked the dog as a full male dog with the three piece suite still intact for breeding purposes or people who seem to have a penchant for taking things that don't belong to them in general. I'm heartbroken."

She took a leaf out of the McCann's book and remained "fairly" composed during some of her interview. I hope the dog is found and confess I had a stray tear or 2 running down my cheek. It's a bit too early to tell yet if it's a dog-napping or abduction however as it's not related to the McCanns the newspaper is accepting comments.

Back to top Go down

Family "kidnaps" 6 year old boy to teach him to fear strangers

Post  Freedom on Fri 06 Feb 2015, 4:16 pm

Freedom

Back to top Go down

Re: Stories that are just downright weird / silly

Post  Châtelaine on Fri 06 Feb 2015, 6:11 pm

Me too ...
Teaching him the hard way then?
Words like inbred come to mind.
And I sincerely hope there isn't more to it.
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell on Fri 06 Feb 2015, 6:55 pm

How dreadful, poor child. What a dreadful thing for him to go through.
Beyond comprehension that close relatives could do such things.
Hopefully he is now safe and removed from such wicked people.
One hopes he is able to forget and trust again.
@ Chatelaine - sadly wouldn't surprise me at all.

Back to top Go down

The "Maddie alert aims to prevent child abductions and burglaries"

Post  Freedom on Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:24 pm

Some of us may not have seen this before. I can't make up my mind if it's a spoof or not!

http://technofyi.com/2013/03/19/maddie-alert-aims-to-prevent-child-abductions-and-burglaries/
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:32 pm

Freedom wrote:Some of us may not have seen this before. I can't make up my mind if it's a spoof or not!

http://technofyi.com/2013/03/19/maddie-alert-aims-to-prevent-child-abductions-and-burglaries/
Nope, AFAIK it's true, I remember a big hoohah about it at the time.

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Mon 22 Jun 2015, 8:53 pm

Someone mentioned earlier today about a connection between Barosso and a photo of M
I found this on Steel Magnolia. Bit too long to post in full but here is the link.

http://thedisclosureproject-steelmagnolia.blogspot.com/2011/01/amber-alert-and-what-i-think-may-have.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Tue 25 Aug 2015, 9:10 am

It certainly sounds like something from a novel.
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Political correctness gone mad!

Post  candyfloss on Thu 10 Sep 2015, 10:05 am

'Snow White and the Seven Friends': theatre changes tune over 'offensive' dwarfs

De Montfort Hall in Leicester responds to criticism after reportedly saying that 'dwarf' is "generally not a word that people feel comfortable with"

A theatre has hit back after reportedly removing the word 'dwarfs' from its pantomime production of Snow White for fear it would cause offence.

De Montfort Hall in Leicester is said to have told the media that Snow White will instead be accompanied by seven "friends" because dwarf is “generally not a word that people feel comfortable with”.

Bashful, Doc, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sneezy and Sleepy in the production will be replaced by child actors billed as “friends”, the Leicester Mercury reported.

But the theatre has now clarified its position, saying that the panto - entitled 'Snow White' - would still refer to the characters as "dwarfs", though they will be played by a child dance troupe wearing costumes instead of adult actors.

The original reports produced a backlash from actor Warwick Davis, who suspected it was a way of boosting the panto’s profit margins by involving children as opposed to professionals.

Mr Davis, the 3ft6ins star of Harry Potter and Star Wars, told the Leicester Mercury it was “patronising" that "people are offended on our behalf".

Now Anthony Flint, general manager at De Montfort Hall has told The Independent the panto was based more on the 1812 Grimm fairytale than the 1937 Disney film, which has a bigger role for the dwarfs.

The emphasis would instead be on the Wicked Queen, played by Benidorm star Sherrie Hewson, he added.

Mr Flint said: “The programme at De Montfort Hall is firmly driven by star names and celebrity, and it’s no different for pantomime, so the panto storyline focuses on the characters of Snow White and Wicked Queen, played by this year’s star,  Sherrie Hewson.

“[The seven dwarfs are] being played by the dance team in full costume rather than a team of adult actors for the two or three scenes they appear in, but audiences will absolutely get the full traditional story they’re expecting to see – dwarfs and all.

READ MORE:  • Warwick Davis angry at panto's 'patronising' decision to drop dwarves from Snow White out of political correctness

“The dance teams that will play these characters as well as providing the dance ensemble, were selected by open audition earlier in the year and panto is the ideal vehicle for them to be involved in a professional theatre production, often for the first time”.

Social media was, inevitably, awash with claims of “political correctness gone mad”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/snow-white-to-be-accompanied-by-friends-after-theatre-deems-dwarfs-offensive-10492685.html?

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:36 pm

I am very offended by the term "dwarfs". It should be "dwarves".

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:39 pm

Resistor wrote:I am very offended by the term "dwarfs".  It should be "dwarves".

I have looked at a few sites it can be either it seems.......

Definition of dwarf in English:

noun (plural dwarfs or dwarves /dwɔːvz/)

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/dwarf

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Thu 10 Sep 2015, 2:53 pm

My Collins dic says it can be either.

All political correctness drives me bananas.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:00 am

A politically correct version of Little Red Riding Hood which made me smile.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/jokes/bljokepcredridinghood.htm
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Free sombreros handed out at restaurant BANNED by university chiefs – because they're 'racist'

Post  candyfloss on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 3:26 pm

Free sombreros handed out at restaurant BANNED by university chiefs – because they're 'racist'

Students at the University of East Anglia were given free sombreros by a local Tex-Mex restaurant – but had them taken away at Freshers' Fair

Killjoy university chiefs have banned students from getting free sombreros - claiming they're 'racist'.

Students were being given free sombreros by a local Tex-Mex restaurant in a bid to drum up business , before uni chiefs ordered them to stop - because it violates strict cultural appropriation rules.

The University of East Anglia student union officials even took the big floppy hats from students at the Freshers' Fair, because non-Mexicans wearing the traditional item of headwear could be seen as offensive, according to a new initiative.

The Union has stated that the handing out of sombreros breached a key advertising policy which was sent to all stall holders before the event, prohibiting any use of stereotypical imagery in advertising.

The Union has stated that the handing out of sombreros breached a key advertising policy which was sent to all stall holders before the event, prohibiting any use of stereotypical imagery in advertising.
It read: "Discriminatory or stereotypical language or imagery aimed towards to any group or individual based on characteristics will not be permitted as part of our advertising."
The policy specifies 15 types of discrimination, some of which include colour, ethnic origin and nationality.
The sombreros were seen as racist and a form of cultural appropriation, despite the fact that the restaurant's website says it offers a "Tex-Mex experience".
When Pedros were asked to stop handing out the sombreros they were amicable in doing so, although some students were less impressed.

Speaking to student newspaper The Tab, one first-year who asked not to be named, said: "It's ridiculous - it's a comedy hat, not some sort of sacred religious dress.
"Who is going to get offended? Speedy Gonzales?"
But the Student Union defended their stance on the floppy hat.
Campaigns and Democracy officer Chris Jarvis said: "We know that when it comes to cultural appropriation the issues can sometimes be difficult to understand and many don't realise that they may be about to cause offence or break a policy.
"So we're discussing internally how we can improve our briefing to both external organisations and our own members so that people aren't caught out at the last minute."
He added: "At the Student Union we want all members feel safe and accepted, so at all events we try to ensure that there is no behaviour, language or imagery which could be considered racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic or ableist."
Pedros manager Matthew Ward was unavailable to comment today, but a worker at the restaurant said: "It's ridiculous."

Read more: Floyd Mayweather laughed off "shocking" racist tirade against Manny Pacquiao, says former manager

It read: "Discriminatory or stereotypical language or imagery aimed towards to any group or individual based on characteristics will not be permitted as part of our advertising."

The policy specifies 15 types of discrimination, some of which include colour, ethnic origin and nationality.

The sombreros were seen as racist and a form of cultural appropriation, despite the fact that the restaurant's website says it offers a "Tex-Mex experience".

When Pedros were asked to stop handing out the sombreros they were amicable in doing so, although some students were less impressed.

Read more: Student commutes 1,000 miles from POLAND to London because it SAVES him money

Speaking to student newspaper The Tab, one first-year who asked not to be named, said: "It's ridiculous - it's a comedy hat, not some sort of sacred religious dress.

"Who is going to get offended? Speedy Gonzales?"

But the Student Union defended their stance on the floppy hat.

Campaigns and Democracy officer Chris Jarvis said: "We know that when it comes to cultural appropriation the issues can sometimes be difficult to understand and many don't realise that they may be about to cause offence or break a policy.

"So we're discussing internally how we can improve our briefing to both external organisations and our own members so that people aren't caught out at the last minute."

He added: "At the Student Union we want all members feel safe and accepted, so at all events we try to ensure that there is no behaviour, language or imagery which could be considered racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic or ableist."

Pedros manager Matthew Ward was unavailable to comment today, but a worker at the restaurant said: "It's ridiculous."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/free-sombreros-handed-out-restaurant-6526809

candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Children abducted by masked men????

Post  Freedom on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 9:37 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3380364/Masked-men-hunted-police-kidnapping-boys-aged-6-10-home-white-van.html

If this turns out to be anything other than a figment of the children's imagination, I will eat my hat!
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 4:39 pm

Might have been a warning to the family by associates.
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 3:49 pm

Freedom

Back to top Go down

Woman confronts husband at her own funeral !

Post  candyfloss on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 2:03 pm

Woman walks into own funeral to surprise of husband who had paid to have her killed

A man who had paid to have her wife killed was horrified when he saw her crashing her own funeral

Noela Rukundo sat in a car outside her home, watching as the last few mourners filed out. They were leaving a funeral — her funeral.

Finally, she spotted the man she’d been waiting for. She stepped out of her car, and her husband put his hands on his head in horror.

“Is it my eyes?” she recalled him saying. “Is it a ghost?”

“Surprise! I’m still alive!” she replied.

Far from being elated, the man looked terrified. Five days ago, he had ordered a team of hit men to kill Rukundo, his partner of 10 years. And they did — well, they told him they did. They even got him to pay an extra few thousand dollars for carrying out the crime.

Now here was his wife, standing before him. In an interview with the BBC Thursday, Rukundo recalled how he touched her shoulder to find it unnervingly solid. He jumped. Then he started screaming.

“I’m sorry for everything,” he wailed.

But it was far too late for apologies; Rukundo called the police. The husband, Balenga Kalala, ultimately pleaded guilty and was sentenced to nine years in prison for incitement to murder, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (the ABC).

The happy ending — or, as happy as can be expected to a saga in which a man tries to have his wife killed — was made possible by three unusually principled hit men, a helpful pastor and one incredibly gutsy woman: Rukundo herself.

Here is how she pulled it off.

Rukundo’s ordeal began almost exactly a year ago, when she flew from her home in Melbourne with her husband, Kalala, to attend a funeral in her native Burundi. Her stepmother had died and the service left her saddened and stressed. She retreated to her hotel room in Bujumbura, the capital, early in the evening; despondent after the events of the day, she lay down in bed. Then her husband called.

“He told me to go outside for fresh air,” she told the BBC.

But the minute Rukundo stepped out of her hotel, a man charged forward, pointing a gun right at her.

“Don’t scream,” she recalled him saying. “If you start screaming, I will shoot you. They’re going to catch me, but you? You will already be dead.”

Rukundo, terrified, did as she was told. She was ushered into a car and blindfolded so she couldn’t see where she was being taken. After 30 or 40 minutes, the car came to a stop, and Rukundo was pushed into a building and tied to a chair.

She could hear male voices, she told the ABC. One asked her, “You woman, what did you do for this man to pay us to kill you?”

“What are you talking about?” Rukundo demanded.

“Balenga sent us to kill you.”

They were lying. She told them so. And they laughed.

“You’re a fool,” they told her.

There was the sound of a dial tone, and a male voice coming through a speakerphone. It was her husband’s voice.

“Kill her,” he said.

And Rukundo fainted.

Rukundo had met her husband 11 years earlier, right after she arrived in Australia from Burundi, according to the BBC. He was a recent refugee from the Democratic Republic of Congo, and they had the same social worker at the resettlement agency that helped them get on their feet. Since Kalala already knew English, their social worker often recruited him to translate for Rukundo, who spoke Swahili.

They fell in love, moved in together in the Melbourne suburb of Kings Park, and had three children (Rukundo also had five kids from a previous relationship). She learned more about her husband’s past — he had fled a rebel army that had ransacked his village, killing his wife and young son. She also learned more about his character.

“I knew he was a violent man,” Rukundo told the BBC. “But I didn’t believe he can kill me.”

But, it appeared, he could.

Rukundo came to in the strange building somewhere near Bujumbura. The kidnappers were still there, she told the ABC.

They weren’t going to kill her, the men then explained — they didn’t believe in killing women, and they knew her brother. But they would keep her husband’s money and tell him that she was dead. After two days, they set her free on the side of a road, but not before giving her a mobile phone, recordings of their phone conversations with Kalala, and receipts for the $7,000 in Australian dollars they allegedly received in payment, according to Australia’s The Age.

“We just want you to go back, to tell other stupid women like you what happened,” Rukundo said she was told before the gang members drove away.

Shaken, but alive and doggedly determined, Rukundo began plotting her next move. She sought help from the Kenyan and Belgian embassies to return to Australia, according to The Age. Then she called the pastor of her church in Melbourne, she told the BBC, and explained to him what had happened. Without alerting Kalala, the pastor helped her get back home to her neighborhood near Melbourne.

Meanwhile, her husband had told everyone she had died in a tragic accident and the entire community mourned her at her funeral at the family home. On the night of Feb. 22, 2015, just as the widower Kalala waved goodbye to neighbors who had come to comfort him, Rukundo approached him, the very man whose voice she’d heard over the phone five days earlier, ordering that she be killed.

“I felt like somebody who had risen again,” she told the BBC.

Though Kalala initially denied all involvement, Rukundo got him to confess to the crime during a phone conversation that was secretly recorded by police, according to The Age.

“Sometimes Devil can come into someone, to do something, but after they do it they start thinking, ‘Why I did that thing?’ later,” he said, as he begged her to forgive him.

Kalala eventually pleaded guilty to the scheme. He was sentenced to nine years in prison by a judge in Melbourne.

“Had Ms Rukundo’s kidnappers completed the job, eight children would have lost their mother,” Chief Justice Marilyn Warren said, according to the ABC. “It was premeditated and motivated by unfounded jealousy, anger and a desire to punish Ms. Rukundo.”

Rukundo said that Kalala tried to kill her because he thought she was going to leave him for another man — an accusation she denies.

But her trials are not yet over. Rukundo told the ABC she’s gotten backlash from Melbourne’s Congolese community for reporting Kalala to the police. Someone left threatening messages for her, and she returned home one day to find her back door broken. She now has eight children to raise alone, and has asked the Department of Human Services to help her find a new place to live.

And lying in bed at night, Kalala’s voice still comes to her: “Kill her, kill her,” she told the BBC. “Every night, I see what was happening in those two days with the kidnappers.”

Despite all that, “I will stand up like a strong woman,” she said. “My situation, my past life? That is gone. I’m starting a new life now.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/woman-walks-into-own-funeral-to-surprise-of-husband-who-had-paid-to-have-her-killed-a6855006.html

candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Sun 15 May 2016, 9:43 pm

Any members here from Hull and spotted it......
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Sun 15 May 2016, 10:17 pm

An e-fit of said Werewolf.... Smile

"luckily the Police have the sketch to use in their investigation"

Actually says that.

Brilliant.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Mon 16 May 2016, 4:22 pm

A bit more released today on this excellent story.... Very Happy

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/8ft-tall-werewolf-old-stinker-prowling-in-hull-industrial-estate_uk_573999d2e4b01359f6872265

Snipped:

Nonetheless, Hull historian Mike Covell has organised a nighttime “werewolf hunt” during the next full moon.

I'm signing up for that as well. Sounds a right laugh....
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 9:24 am

Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 9:42 am

I did wonder if this was a completely made-up story - perish the thought that The Sun would do anything like that though - but this charmer does appear to exist. 

Don't give up the day job - if you have one - Steven.
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top