MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Social Media is Powerful.

+7
Mimi
dantezebu
candyfloss
Poe
Freedom
Justformaddiemccann
Andrew
11 posters

Go down

Social Media is Powerful.  Empty Social Media is Powerful.

Post  Andrew Thu 09 Oct 2014, 6:36 am

Woke up to see what's his face on this article: Who the hell does he think he is? Moderated for personal remarks.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/social-media-is-powerful-mccann/ar-BB8cybG

The father of Madeleine McCann said social media is "powerful" and should be used to "improve the world" a s he backed a national alert system to help find missing children.
Gerry and Kate McCann, whose three-year-old daughter disappeared during a family holiday to Portugal in 2007, joined the parents of murdered schoolgirl April Jones tonight to raise funds for the Child Rescue Alert with the charity Missing People.

It comes after an inquest was opened today into the death of Brenda Leyland, whose body was found in a hotel room two days after she featured in a Sky News report exposing internet "trolling" of the McCanns.

Mr McCann declined to comment tonight but said social media was an important tool for the Child Rescue Alert, a UK-wide system which uses email, text messages and websites including Twitter to try to secure the safe return of missing children.

Speaking at the Mondrian hotel in central London, Mr McCann said: "The key thing about social media is it's powerful. This is a way of using it to do good. That's what we should be using these powerful technologies for - to try and improve the world.

Asked whether they felt it was right for the media to identify internet trolls, Mr McCann replied: "I don't really want to talk about trolls, we're here very much to talk about child rescue."

Coral and Paul Jones called on Twitter and Facebook to do more to tackle internet trolls after they received "horrible" abuse online following the death of their five-year-old daughter who was kidnapped and murdered in October 2012.

Asked whether they had sympathy with Madeleine's parents who have previously voiced concerns about online abuse, Mrs Jones said: "We've had some ourselves and it took to going in the press and on the news to get it taken off.

"It is horrible, the people that do it."

Asked whether the police could do more to tackle online trolls, she replied: "It's the internet people as well because the police can't do everything."

Mr Jones said: "They should have their own policing force of some sort to do that, with legal ways to prosecute people."

Actor Hugh Grant, former newsreader Sir Trevor McDonald and presenter Fiona Phillips were among the guests at a dinner organised by Missing People to raise funds for the Child Rescue Alert.

Mrs Jones said she is still struggling to come to terms with her daughter's death.

Mark Bridger was given a whole life sentence after he was convicted of April's abduction and murder and of perverting the course of justice by unlawfully disposing, destroying or concealing her body.

April had been playing with friends close to her home on the Bryn Y Gog estate in Machynlleth, mid-Wales, when Bridger, a former slaughterhouse worker, enticed her into his car. Her body has never been found.

Following the recent two-year anniversary of her daughter's disappearance, Mrs Jones said: "I'm still struggling now to this day. We take each day as it comes. Everybody's different in how they cope. Me, personally, I take each day as it comes.

"Some days are better. My husband takes it different, my kids take it different."

Mr Jones added: "I have days where I'm absolutely fine. Two or three days on the trot. Then I have down days. I need to keep busy."

Mrs McCann said she believed the Child Rescue Alert could make "a huge difference" in finding missing children.

"You only have to look at the statistics to see how the amber alert in the USA has been successful - 685 children have been found alive and reunited with their families since it started," she said.

"I believe the Child Rescue Alert system could do the same here."

Mr McCann added: "I think it's an opportunity, the Child Rescue Alert, for the British public to help. In our case, there was a great outpouring of people wanting to help. It only takes one person coming forward, responding to that piece of media, that could save a child's life and nothing can be more important."

To sign up to the Child Rescue Alert, visit www.childrescuealert.org.uk.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Social Media is Powerful.  Empty Re: Social Media is Powerful.

Post  Andrew Thu 09 Oct 2014, 6:55 am

Mr McCann replied: "I don't really want to talk about trolls, we're here very much to talk about child rescue."

The 'Wider Agenda' again Gerry is it.

A woman (not a troll) has lost her life due to you and your wife's bullshit. You have no shame, no remorse no nothing. Exactly the same when your eldest went 'missing' back in 2007.

You really couldn't give a toss about either could you.

Pure evil.

IMO of course.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 09 Oct 2014, 7:22 am

Ah! He's still at it, shame that that job  European Representative for Amber Alert never got off the ground.
Guess the arguido status put paid to that.

The missing children charities, NCMEC in US, PACT, Missing People, Missing Kids, CEOPs.
All connected! Shame they never found Maddie because her Godfather, possibly being psychic, distributed images of Maddie within hours of hearing she was missing and did it according to the US protocol for missing children - so jolly lucky that he knew about that.

Gerry's  visit to the US took place at the end of July, took a little longer than expected. Not long afterwards Ernie Allen confessed to having large numbers of non-missing children on his books at NCMEC.

Shame that the Ambassadorship of KH isn't a runaway success, mainly because there simply aren't enough runaways who want to go home, having often left for very good reasons.

Those charities are a terrific money making scheme in the great majority of cases.
Missing People spends nearly all their income (most from the good people of Britain via the postcode lottery) on staff wages.
As they are both a charity and a Ltd. Co, their accounts can be accessed and are very detailed.

There are so few missing children that they often share them with other charities such as Missing Kids.
Several entries make  the present age of the lost child as 60+ as they were misplaced in the 50's.  Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Justformaddiemccann Thu 09 Oct 2014, 8:22 am

KEY KEY KEY KEY it's always about a KEY!
Please, why is this allowed to happen?
NO, gm, the tie doesn't suit you.
I feel No and Mad
IMO

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 09 Oct 2014, 8:27 am

Yes, Amber Alert over here in Canada and the US is highly successful... but what Gerry's omitted to point out is that the majority of cases of child abduction, where an Amber Alert has been issued, have involved a non-custodial parent or grandparent absconding with a child. These cases are far far more common than a stranger abduction of a child.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Thu 09 Oct 2014, 9:23 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2785834/Child-Rescue-Alert-dinner-Social-media-powerful-used-improve-world-says-Gerry-McCann.html

A longer report from the Daily Mail.

What a sick fest this must have been with Fiona Phillips and Hugh Grant in attendance!
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Poe Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:53 am

Social Media is Powerful.  BB8crVc

Obviously, when your name is linked to the death of a woman, the first thing you must do is get out there and start partying at a charity fundraiser.

Am I the only one who finds this inappropriate and tasteless?
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:59 am

Poe wrote:Social Media is Powerful.  BB8crVc

Obviously, when your name is linked to the death of a woman, the first thing you must do is get out there and start partying at a charity fundraiser.

Am I the only one who finds this inappropriate and tasteless?

No. I find it absolutely Disgusting.

Put me off my cornflakes this morning.

Sick of the sight of them.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Thu 09 Oct 2014, 11:00 am

JillyCL @JillyCL 5 mins5 minutes ago
The Wider Agenda - Only 6 weeks after Maddie 'disappeared', Kate #McCann was already making plans for a 2nd career http://themaddiecasefiles.com/post216649.html?hilit=welfare#p216649 …
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dantezebu Thu 09 Oct 2014, 11:04 am

A man that can be seen laughing days after "losing" his 3 year old daughter is capable of anything.
dantezebu
dantezebu

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Fri 10 Oct 2014, 9:51 am

A mercifully brief clip of the McCanns at the charity fund raiser.

http://home.bt.com/news/uknews/social-media-is-powerful-mccann-11363936650738
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 10 Oct 2014, 12:45 pm

In my opinion this would have been another part of Gerry's grand October campaign, but he's been forced to rein it in for a while because of the tragic death of Brenda. I'm pretty sure we would have been seeing Gerry in the media every day this month, if not for Brenda's passing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Fri 10 Oct 2014, 4:29 pm

Freedom wrote:A mercifully brief clip of the McCanns at the charity fund raiser.

http://home.bt.com/news/uknews/social-media-is-powerful-mccann-11363936650738

Unable to watch as soon be my dinner time.
Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppy Fri 10 Oct 2014, 8:08 pm

Is it me or did he smirk when he said we don't want to talk about Trolls?
Poppy
Poppy

Back to top Go down

Post  chilli Sat 11 Oct 2014, 8:36 am

Dupers delight?
chilli
chilli

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 11 Oct 2014, 8:57 am

Freedom wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2785834/Child-Rescue-Alert-dinner-Social-media-powerful-used-improve-world-says-Gerry-McCann.html

A longer report from the Daily Mail.

What a sick fest this must have been with Fiona Phillips and Hugh Grant in attendance!

I thought I would take the liberty of copying the 44 comments before they are all whoosh-clunked.

Spencer, Nottingham, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

The Internet is currently the only free market of ideas we have left, tolerate the bad because if you start trying to control it, the only real freedom people have left is gone forever.
Rated

dangermouse, South West England, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

The Jones' have a point. There should probably be some sort of internet watch to stop trolling.
Rated

MissABCD, Berkshire, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

Trolls are wrecking lives and hiding behind a screen to say things that they wouldn't dream of saying in front of their friends and family - they are basically cowards! I hate reading all the awful comments that have been made about the McCann's. I have never left my own child alone and certainly would not do this on holiday or anywhere else but in my own personal opinion they made a terrible mistake and now have to live with the consequence of their actions for ever more. Troll's are just nasty people, writing nasty things...... they should come out of hiding!
Rated

James, Grays, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

I don't believe trolls should be allowed wreck peoples lives, and I don't believe any parents should leave their children alone, while the go out enjoying themselves, I would never think of leaving mine all alone in a strange country, when you have children, you have the responsibility to make sure they are safe, at all times.
Rated

glenda, jaywick, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

When are the next plane load of detectives/policemen going on another jolly to find nothing in Portugal? The media hasn't helped them much either.
Rated

hungerford, hungerford, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

Social Media is great but only when it agrees with them. Hypocrites both of them.
Rated

Anon, Uk, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

So where are hacked off when this women was hounded? no spouting off now it seems! And yes social media can be used for the good is society. I'd say let's use it to get the message across that it's not a good idea to leave children unattended in unlocked apartments.
Rated

The Marcher, Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

The McCanns made a terrible decision to leave their children unattended and have really paid a terrible price for it. That really is punishment enough. To send them hate messages is a waste of time and gains nothing. However, after making that mistake, they are hardly role models for parenting and perhaps would do themselves more favours of they blended back into the background.
Rated

Melissa, UK, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

Exactly....had they have been 'uneducated' parents living off the state they would never have been given media time but vilified!!
Rated

Roja, Stockholm, Sweden, 1 day ago

Berenda had never directly threatened the McCann family , and she was not TROLL . Hopp justice for Madeleine .
Rated

Eleanor, France, France, 1 day ago

There is a difference between Opinion and Sustained Attack. Everytime The McCanns try to do something good for missing children in general, The Trolls pile in. Just shut up and support The Amber Alert.
Rated

old uk codger, lincoln, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

Thought it was quite a while since we had an utterance from one of these two. Oops, am I a 'troll' now ??
Rated

MrsB, whoknowswhere, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

The internet and social media have grown into monsters.
Rated

exPat, Almeria, Spain, 1 day ago

No it's some PEOPLE that use it. That are the monsters
Rated

Shycynic, Ashby, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

Social media is being manipulated just as much as TV and print.
Rated

megbenitez, london, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

Whoever trolled April Jones Parents, Ben Needhams and Sara Paynes are plain and simple out of order, two of the three went missing from their parents side or within feet of their siblings. April Jones yards from home and from in front of another child she was playing with. To attack their parenting skills is beyond comprehension and so horrible given the fate of these poor children. I only learned of this trolling in the light of the Brenda Leyland case and I have looked at the tweets (no trolling there but plenty ?? asked). Heard there was the odd one going at Jamie's Bulgers mum also-in no way could that poor woman be vilified when the child was taken from her side, completely vile to do so. The scenario of Madeline totally different when left in a strange flat, strange country, a pool within yards and her parents nowhere to be seen on their jollys. I will never understand how the situation came about in the first instance as I would have palpitations leaving mine for a pint of milk.
Rated

Gloria the Hippo, Antsirabe, Madagascar, 1 day ago

I know. The McCann's situation does provide something for people with no love lives to do each and every night. They can discuss it endlessly while avoiding the realities of their own lives. Oh, you don't agree? I didn't think you would.
Rated

jessica123, wigan, United Kingdom, 2 days ago

Why don't these two just try being quiet for a change ?
Rated

Lilypilli, At the Beach, Australia, 1 day ago

Would you keep quiet if your child was abducted?
Rated

helly, bath, United Kingdom, 2 days ago

I think anything that alerts the community to help search for missing kids is a good thing. I got lost when I was 7 on a beach in Jersey and walked into a Sweet shop where they called the police. My mum says it was only half an hour but for me it felt much longer and I remember being absolutely terrified and really scared. The poor woman should be left in peace now.
Rated

Christine Silverman, Durris, United Kingdom, 2 days ago

So last week the McCanns want "examples" to be made. Then when one is, they suddenly don't want to talk about it. How odd.
Rated

Fed Up, London, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

Just one of the very odd aspects of this case.
Rated

SilverBars, Nottingham, United Kingdom, 2 days ago

They certainly still have good contacts.
Rated

justatonie, Littlehampton, United Kingdom, 2 days ago

Don't think they should court all the press coverage
Rated

Cringeworthy, Leicester, United Kingdom, 2 days ago

"Social media" has made the McCanns quite infamous. Hence potential trolling targets.
Rated

Garth, Lancashire, 2 days ago

Social media is powerful. But freedom of speech is the integral key to any valuable use any of us can gain from it and the internet in general. Without it we could only express an opinion that is accepted by others. We are individuals, not insects in a hive.
Rated

Lilypilli, At the Beach, Australia, 1 day ago

Freedom of speech is fine. But anonymous spite is not freedom of speech. If you want freedom of speech, stand up and be counted with your name, not an online identity,
Rated

sandy, rottendale, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

Freedom of speech is becoming extinct in Western Europe - unless those who hate us wish to use it to threaten us and express that hatred publicly
Rated

Nicki, Manchester UK, 2 days ago

This is a fantastic idea and long overdue in the UK. The US has the Amber Alert to great success. I do wish the DM hadn't linked in the troll story to this article- the two subjects are not related and take away the positive alert message - they are different subjects.
Rated

Neil Waterhouse, Basingstoke, 2 days ago

Are they going to highlight the information that Alice Gross is missing? Some charity that is that never made a peep for her.
Rated

Jocy, London, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

It's down to the area that the child goes missing in as to whether they want to issue an alert or not, nothing to do with the charity themselves.
Rated

Phoggy, Colchester, United Kingdom, 2 days ago

Gotta feel their pain but how many children have disappeared since Madie and had nothing like this kind of exposure, very media savvy these two.
Rated

bitterbum, auckland, New Zealand, 1 day ago

And the problem with that is ?? Would you be quiet and dissappear if your child was taken ?? I certainly wouldn't, I would scream at whoever would listen and those who wouldn't, anything to find my child.
Rated

dave, london, 2 days ago

Sick to death of reading about this pair where is their money coming from?
Rated

2 of 3 repliesSee all replies

SithLord, OuterRim, United Kingdom, 2 days ago

Dont read it then and what's their money got to do with anything?
Rated

dave, london, 1 day ago

Money is being made from the media interviews books the list goes on pal
Rated

Alice, Wonderland, 2 days ago

Social media is a blight on the world and needs to be totally removed.
Rated

Christine Silverman, Durris, United Kingdom, 2 days ago

So why are you here then?
Rated

Melissa, UK, United Kingdom, 1 day ago

@Christine...Alice is here because she is living in Wonderland!
Rated

LondonMan, London, United Kingdom, 2 days ago

That woman was not a troll.
Rated

SithLord, OuterRim, United Kingdom, 2 days ago

Yes she was.
Rated

Gloria the Hippo, Antsirabe, Madagascar, 1 day ago

She had to be quite depressed to react in the way that she did though. you cannot blame that on Gerry McCann can you? I'm sure some people will try..
Rated

Mike, Runcorn England, United Kingdom, 2 days ago

You mean to show unwavering support to you two. Also to believe you wholeheartedly?
Rated

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2785834/Child-Rescue-Alert-dinner-Social-media-powerful-used-improve-world-says-Gerry-McCann.html#ixzz3FoxaLthL
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Back to top Go down

Post  Meteor Sun 12 Oct 2014, 3:55 pm

Anybody on the Guardian Facebook page? They have a piec about the McCanns. Dominant anti- comments and these are getting hundreds of likes! People saying they are morons for leaving their children alone and that class has nothing to do with it etc.

Well worth checking out.
Meteor
Meteor

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Sat 29 Nov 2014, 9:15 pm

On Mirror App about a boy found after 4years hidden in a makeshift wall thing, something that the McCanns will take comfort from, I'm sure.
IMO

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Sat 29 Nov 2014, 9:47 pm

Ah, just watched the clip of the reunion, not a word spoken and you feel the amount of love between mother and son.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down