MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*UPDATE MORE FUNDS GRANTED TO CONTINUE - Scotland Yard ask for more money to carry on investigation into Madeleine case

+23
Crackfox
Winslow Boy
unreorganised
AndyB
Rob Royston
Poe
TheTruthWillOut
Mo
Châtelaine
Heisenburg
Bampots
joyce1938
Tangled Web
espeland
Freedom
Helenmeg
Mimi
chrissie
PMR
dogs don't lie
froggy
poster
candyfloss
27 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

*UPDATE MORE FUNDS GRANTED TO CONTINUE - Scotland Yard  ask for more money to carry on investigation into Madeleine case - Page 3 Empty Re: *UPDATE MORE FUNDS GRANTED TO CONTINUE - Scotland Yard ask for more money to carry on investigation into Madeleine case

Post  candyfloss Tue 22 Aug 2017, 11:22 pm

We have our own ideas and opinions, and I certainly wouldn't want to see anyone behind bars, unless there is absolute evidence of wrongdoing.  We sitting here bashing our keyboards  cannot decide innocence or guilt by just studying this case from afar, we can form our own opinions but we cannot accuse people because we just do not have the facts.  This case s like no other I admit, we do have all the statements (or many of them) to dissect, plus countless interviews to analyse...... but we do need to be careful and keep an open mind.  I prefer to wait and let the police do their job, let them finish what they started and hopefully take it to court and let a jury decide.

I do hope it does get solved, because like you say PR, it will end up in the cover up and conspiracy theory pile for years to come. 

One more thing, if Grange weren't investigating and it was an 'ongoing investigation' then they wouldn't be asked questions anyway would they, as there would be no one investigating.... it would be end of.  That is why I keep saying, why keep it going then, they are just putting themselves in the firing line all the time?

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

*UPDATE MORE FUNDS GRANTED TO CONTINUE - Scotland Yard  ask for more money to carry on investigation into Madeleine case - Page 3 Empty Re: *UPDATE MORE FUNDS GRANTED TO CONTINUE - Scotland Yard ask for more money to carry on investigation into Madeleine case

Post  Guest Tue 22 Aug 2017, 11:27 pm

But the British police can't take them to court can they as it's a Portuguese investigation.

So what is the point of Operation Grange?

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Tue 22 Aug 2017, 11:33 pm

purple ronnie wrote:But the British police can't take them to court can they as it's a Portuguese investigation.

So what is the point of Operation Grange?

That I don't know PR, I know various things have been quoted, but we will have to see.  Perhaps it would go to a Portuguese court, and the Met are investigating any leads that the PJ can't as they have no jurisdiction here? 

It is all buts and ifs, and I have no idea, but will just have patience and wait.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tangled Web Wed 23 Aug 2017, 11:26 am

espeland wrote:
Tangled Web wrote: What exactly does 'potentially explosive media exploration' mean?

What does it sound like it means?

'media exploration' means a TV station, newspaper, magazine or journalist.

'potentially explosive', according to an online crossword solver, means ' POWDER KEG'.

How kind.
Tangled Web
Tangled Web

Back to top Go down

*UPDATE MORE FUNDS GRANTED TO CONTINUE - Scotland Yard  ask for more money to carry on investigation into Madeleine case - Page 3 Empty Madeleine McCann case: Scotland Yard requests more funding to prolong investigation into toddler's disappearance

Post  chrissie Thu 07 Sep 2017, 4:49 pm

Scotland Yard has reportedly asked the Home Office for more funding to continue the investigation into Madeleine McCann's disappearance.

In April the force said it was investigating "significant" leads that Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley described as "very worthwhile".

The Met had previously suggested it would ask for further funds to investigate one final line of enquiry in the £11m Operation Grange.

Sources told Sky News the request has now been made.

Three-year-old Madeleine vanished from the family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz in Portugal on 3 May, 2007.

Her disappearance sparked one of the most high-profile, and costly, police investigations of recent times.

Scotland Yard's investigation has been active since 2011, but the number of detectives working on the case was cut from 29 to four in 2015.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/madeleine-mccann-case-disappearance-latest-investigation-funding-police-prolong-request-home-office-a7934811.html
chrissie
chrissie

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Thu 07 Sep 2017, 4:56 pm

CASH FOR MADDIECops hunting Madeleine McCann request more money to pursue new line of inquiry in fresh boost for Kate and Gerry
Without fresh funding Operation Grange could shut down in as little as three weeks time

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4414429/madeleine-mccann-search-latest-police-money-parents-kate-gerry/
chrissie
chrissie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Thu 07 Sep 2017, 5:07 pm

Is this up to date news? I thought this was in the news some weeks ago. Maybe I dreamed it. Embarassed

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Thu 07 Sep 2017, 5:47 pm

Not a dream this time! I've merged today's posts with the earlier topic.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Thu 07 Sep 2017, 5:57 pm

So we know OG have been busy asking for more money,wonder what they have been doing in the meanwhile,you know reference the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Thu 07 Sep 2017, 6:10 pm

I think "everybody knows" what happened. Or IMO may have happened ...They just need the final pieces/evidence to be glued together...
A difficult job, which IMO [again] needs to continue. Give them time. They're professionals.
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenmeg Thu 07 Sep 2017, 6:11 pm

Great news!
Helenmeg
Helenmeg

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenmeg Thu 07 Sep 2017, 6:14 pm

Châtelaine wrote:I think "everybody knows" what happened. Or IMO may have happened ...They just need the final pieces/evidence to be glued together...
A difficult job, which IMO [again] needs to continue. Give them time. They're professionals.

Agree!

Interesting how the Sun put their own little 'Tracy K' slant on things..kidnapper indeed!

The Independent has just reported the facts..
Helenmeg
Helenmeg

Back to top Go down

Post  Mo Thu 07 Sep 2017, 6:41 pm

Apparently Martin Brunt has stated on Sky news that there is a suspect but he can't say anymore. I'm watching it at the moment to see if he comes on again.
Mo
Mo

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Thu 07 Sep 2017, 7:11 pm

Shocked and this suspect is not named yet? That's unusual, suspects in this case normally get a head start!

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Thu 07 Sep 2017, 7:28 pm

Freedom wrote:Not a dream this time! I've merged today's posts with the earlier topic.

Thanks Freedom! I took it that the request has now finally been put in from the news today
chrissie
chrissie

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTruthWillOut Thu 07 Sep 2017, 7:28 pm

Here is the video of Martin Brunt explaining this single suspect FWIW:

If the video doesn't play from the correct place then scroll back to ~ -2:52 That is what is now but keeps changing because it is still live!

ETA:

OG/PJ been working this lead for ~1 year
Waiting for evidence!?
Very sensitive!?
TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Thu 07 Sep 2017, 7:55 pm

Madeleine McCann set to be extended as police ask for more funds
Ministers are likely to approve more funding as long as they are satisfied there is a realistic chance of discovering her fate.

By Martin Brunt, Crime Correspondent

The Scotland Yard search for Madeleine McCann is set to be extended, three weeks before its funding was due to run out.

Detectives have asked the Home Office for more money while they continue to explore one last theory about her disappearance.
Ministers are likely to approve a cash injection so long as they are satisfied there is still a realistic chance of discovering the fate of Madeleine, who was nearly four when she vanished during a family holiday in Portugal in 2007.
Detectives from the Metropolitan Police and their Portuguese colleagues have worked together for more than a year to find clues to corroborate their theory.

Sky News understands that phase of their investigation is complete and their success will hinge on technical results of their work.
The money they are asking for is unlikely to be a large amount, effectively enough to keep a small number of detectives - three or four - on little more than a watching brief.
The request should be approved in the next week or so.

The Home Office has funded the six-year investigation with £11.2m since it began in 2011.
The first year cost £1.9m, but the annual amounts have gradually reduced. In April, detectives were given £85,000 to keep going until the end of this month.

On the 10th anniversary of Madeleine's disappearance, the Met's Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said: "I know we have a significant line of inquiry which is worth pursuing and because it's worth pursuing it could provide an answer.

"But until we've gone through it, I don't know if we are going to get there or not."
Madeleine vanished in May 2007 from a ground-floor holiday apartment in Praia da Luz on the Algarve coast.

She had been left sleeping in a room with her younger brother and sister while her parents Kate and Gerry McCann dined nearby with friends.
The couple said they made regular checks on their three children and discovered Madeleine was missing around 10pm, insisting she had been abducted.
The original Portuguese police investigation was closed after 15 months without establishing any firm clues. It was reopened in 2011.

The McCanns, who were considered suspects but then cleared of suspicion, hired a series of private investigators without success.
Eventually, they appealed to then prime minister David Cameron, who agreed to ask Scotland Yard to review all the gathered evidence and later start its own inquiry.
Early ideas about sex predators, child traffickers and "a burglary gone wrong" were largely dismissed before both detective teams joined forces to focus on the latest theory.

http://news.sky.com/story/madeleine-mccann-set-to-be-extended-as-police-ask-for-more-funds-11024595

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Thu 07 Sep 2017, 8:04 pm

If I believed in the Tooth Fairy, I would say things looked promising. As it is I don't think they'll nail anybody.
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTruthWillOut Thu 07 Sep 2017, 8:15 pm

froggy wrote:If I believed in the Tooth Fairy, I would say things looked promising.  As it is I don't think they'll nail anybody.

*UPDATE MORE FUNDS GRANTED TO CONTINUE - Scotland Yard  ask for more money to carry on investigation into Madeleine case - Page 3 Giphy

I do get where you're coming from, though!
TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Thu 07 Sep 2017, 8:43 pm

espeland wrote:
they are supposed to work FOR us and for justice

Unfortunately not true: the police work for the Crown and presumably for justice as seen by the Queen.

I hope that notice is taken of the Loose Women poll and extra funding not given to Grange: if that were to happen, Sonia would stand a good chance of making her documentary public.

Nevertheless, they are paid for by the tax-payer, the general public.

Ostensibly, funding is being provided from the public purse into finding out what happened to Madeleine McCann - in other words bringing those to justice who are responsible for her disappearance.

Yes, I am quite aware that the funding might not be to achieve that aim but nevertheless from the position of those funding this case (the general public via their taxes) why would they be happy with a situation where the funding was to achieve other objectives. (For instance, a cover-up of what really happened; a cover-up of corruption; protection for various people etc?) Why would the general public be happy with this? They are not, as can be seen by comments in the press following stories about the McCann case. The parents appear to have very little public support indeed and people are fed up with what they perceive as money being wasted on a lost cause - i.e: if the purpose of the investigation is to find Madeleine either alive or dead then public money is being wasted.

We are supposed to live in a democracy. What is staggering is that this decidedly mediocre couple (imo) and their mediocre friends have got away with their version of events for so long. I know there are bigger fish to fry and they are low down in the food-chain so to speak but I would say an intelligent ten year old could work out that their story doesn't add up.

IMO and all that.

Goodness knows what is going on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_the_United_Kingdom
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Thu 07 Sep 2017, 9:02 pm

Snipped from news story upthread. Apologies for blue ink, but I think these are important points and are why the case goes round in circles.

On the 10th anniversary of Madeleine's disappearance, the Met's Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said: "I know we have a significant line of inquiry which is worth pursuing and because it's worth pursuing it could provide an answer.

"But until we've gone through it, I don't know if we are going to get there or not."
Madeleine vanished in May 2007 from a ground-floor holiday apartment in Praia da Luz on the Algarve coast.

She had been left sleeping in a room with her younger brother and sister while her parents Kate and Gerry McCann dined nearby with friends.

I doubt Madeleine was slumbering peacefully on Thursday evening at the time of the alleged abduction and I very much doubt that there is a single investigating police officer who believes that either.

The couple said they made regular checks on their three children and discovered Madeleine was missing around 10pm, insisting she had been abducted.

Once again, I very much doubt that there are any investigating police officers who believe that Madeleine was sleeping peacefully and then abducted by a person or persons unknown at 10pm.

The original Portuguese police investigation was closed after 15 months without establishing any firm clues. It was reopened in 2011.

Dr Amaral, the chief police investigator, wrote a book which outlined his theory and the McCanns have failed in their legal case against him to have this theory removed from the public arena.

The McCanns, who were considered suspects but then cleared of suspicion, hired a series of private investigators without success.

I wasn't aware that the McCanns were ever cleared of suspicion. I thought it was simply a case that the case was shelved.
Still, the private investigators were obviously not able to exonerate them either so it would seem.

Eventually, they appealed to then prime minister David Cameron, who agreed to ask Scotland Yard to review all the gathered evidence and later start its own inquiry.

Yes indeed. This was their downfall, imo. How could an inquiry exonerate them when their version of events was so flimsy?
When the abduction story did not have a leg to stand on and when the Portuguese police had amassed some evidence that Madeleine had died that week and the parents had covered it up.

IMO.

Last edited by candyfloss on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sentence deleted, you are thinking of the interim report not the conclusion)
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenmeg Thu 07 Sep 2017, 9:39 pm

Early ideas about sex predators, child traffickers and "a burglary gone wrong" were largely dismissed before both detective teams joined forces to focus on the latest theory.

http://news.sky.com/story/madeleine-mccann-set-to-be-extended-as-police-ask-for-more-funds-11024595
Helenmeg
Helenmeg

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Thu 07 Sep 2017, 9:43 pm

Helenmeg wrote:Early ideas about sex predators, child traffickers and "a burglary gone wrong" were largely dismissed before both detective teams joined forces to focus on the latest theory.

Plus the investigation pretty much over just waiting on 'technical results' - sounds interesting!

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTruthWillOut Thu 07 Sep 2017, 9:52 pm

Yeah "technical results" is odd. I see TextUSA has a new post coming tomorrow after 3 months off. Maybe she could give a theory as to what this means?
TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Thu 07 Sep 2017, 10:01 pm

TheTruthWillOut wrote:Yeah "technical results" is odd. I see TextUSA has a new post coming tomorrow after 3 months off. Maybe she could give a theory as to what this means?

Technical, being optimistic could be how to combine their findings to bring about a closure/trial in Portugal.
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next