MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hurricanes and other environmental catastrophes

+13
Freedom
bluebell
Rosa canina
Heisenburg
candyfloss
Thetruth
Admin
Andrew
Bampots
Châtelaine
Mimi
costello
chirpyinsect
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hurricanes and other environmental catastrophes Empty Earthquake in Cyprus

Post  chirpyinsect Wed 15 Apr 2015, 1:11 pm

This morning I experienced one of the scariest things ever. An earthquake struck our island with a magnitude of 5.6.There was a huge bang and the house shook for about 3 seconds. I was in the garden sitting down and the ground moved visibly. The table I was at was shaking and swaying.
I understand no one has been hurt but it was the biggest we have had here since 1996. I heard part of the roof collapsed at the airport. There have been 10 smaller aftershocks. WOW!

Back to top Go down

Hurricanes and other environmental catastrophes Empty Re:Earthquake in Cyprus.

Post  costello Wed 15 Apr 2015, 1:33 pm

Good to hear no-one has been injured. Take Care.
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Hurricanes and other environmental catastrophes Empty Re: Hurricanes and other environmental catastrophes

Post  Mimi Wed 15 Apr 2015, 1:43 pm

Phew - how scarey - glad you`re ok. flower
Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Hurricanes and other environmental catastrophes Empty Re: Hurricanes and other environmental catastrophes

Post  Guest Wed 15 Apr 2015, 2:53 pm

Tony Blair clearly wasn't lying about Iraqi WMD after all.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:14 pm

Have you had more information on the quake CI? Because I think Cyprus is a bit prone to quakes. The big ones were somewhere between 300 and 500 AD I think. Find out if there were more shocks to the east and west in the Med.

Keep safe and take note of the behaviour of your pets, esp. If you have dogs. They've recently discovered that a strange smell alerts dogs hours before the quake happens. Those noses!

Good luck. flower

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Wed 15 Apr 2015, 7:32 pm

I knew that about animals behaving oddly but our 3 dogs did not. All the birds went silent though..We had 10 aftershocks but I only felt the first which measured 4.0. The others were only 2+.
I am a tad nervous about sleeping tonight as we live in an old stone house extended in the 80's. Not sure of the construction of the old house but it withstood the 6.3 in 1996 so we should be ok. Might sleep in the extension tonight as it is deffo built on a raft.
If I don't check in tomorrow tell the rescuers I am under the house lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Wed 15 Apr 2015, 7:50 pm

Empty your cupboards and bookcases and put everything on the floor, as they do in California ...
Bonne chance Wink
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots Wed 15 Apr 2015, 9:32 pm

Glad your ok !
Bampots
Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 16 Apr 2015, 7:46 am

Still OK, Chirps?

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:07 am

Tigger wrote:Still OK, Chirps?
Aaw thanks for your concern Tigger. All quiet here last night though I admit to being a bit nervous in
my bed.
Seems the Gods have been appeased for now. Been watching RD Hall's vids.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:16 pm

Glad to hear that you're OK and no damage was done to your house or yourself.

Mentioning the birds going silent reminded me of when I went on a tour of Italy many years ago we went past the Vajont dam which was the scene of an horrendous disaster in 1963.  The top of the mountain slid into the reservoir during the night and 2,000 people were drowned.  Many villages were wiped out.

The coach driver said that before the landslide struck all the animals disappeared from the villages and the birds went silent.  It's amazing that all animals have an acute sense of an impending disaster and can even sense sadness or illness in their owners and can react to that with great feeling.

I found a website about the Vajont dam -

http://www.environmentandsociety.org/arcadia/expecting-disaster-1963-landslide-vajont-dam

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:34 pm

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

Today there was a 6.1 off Crete with an aftershock of 5. I am due to fly there on holiday next month. Having serious second thoughts.
As one approaches the downhill slopes of life occasional thoughts of how you may meet your demise enter your head. I never imagined my end would happen in an earthquake. I hope I am correct.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:13 pm

chirpyinsect wrote:Today there was a 6.1 off Crete with an aftershock of 5. I am due to fly there on holiday next month. Having serious second thoughts.
As one approaches the downhill slopes of life occasional thoughts of how you may meet your demise enter your head. I never imagined my end would happen in an earthquake. I hope I am correct.

Glad everything is ok with you chirpy.  You have more chance with flying than an earthquake, go and enjoy your hols.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://maddiemccannmystery.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 17 Apr 2015, 9:22 am

Glad you're okay Chirpy, I can imagine how terrifying that would have been

Back to top Go down

Post  Thetruth Fri 17 Apr 2015, 11:56 am

chirpyinsect wrote:Today there was a 6.1 off Crete with an aftershock of 5. I am due to fly there on holiday next month. Having serious second thoughts.

But if the earth moves for you, so to speak, in your final moments.... ??
Thetruth
Thetruth

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 17 Apr 2015, 12:39 pm

It was on the earthquake simulator in the Geological Museum in London that I first heard this - needless to say, I had no idea what it meant apart from the obvious as we stood on a shaking platform. The meaningful glance I got from my boyfriend didn't help. Years later .......  Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 17 Apr 2015, 5:57 pm

Chirpy. When can I come for a holiday...
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Fri 17 Apr 2015, 8:27 pm

Andrew wrote:Chirpy. When can I come for a holiday...
Andrew you know you would be welcome anytime. Flirt flirt.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sat 18 Apr 2015, 9:53 am

chirpyinsect wrote:
Andrew wrote:Chirpy. When can I come for a holiday...
Andrew you know you would be welcome anytime. Flirt flirt.
Haha - off to book my flight shortly.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Hurricanes and other environmental catastrophes Empty Earthquake shakes Taiwan

Post  Bampots Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:04 am

Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 24 Aug 2016, 7:34 pm

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Wed 24 Aug 2016, 9:53 pm

A terrible disaster, heartbreaking..

Hurricanes and other environmental catastrophes CqpuwMeWgAANt4x

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 25 Aug 2016, 7:19 am

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum