Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  Andrew on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 11:08 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hunt-missing-madeleine-mccann-cost-4428360


Scotland Yard's review of the youngster's disappearance will be more than double the £5million it was expected to cost


Hunt: Madeleine McCann
The cost of the British police search for Madeleine McCann will top £10million as a new drive for the truth gives fresh hope to her parents.

Scotland Yard’s review of the youngster’s disappearance seven years ago will cost more than double the original £5million that was ­estimated by the Home Office.

But the Home Office last night defended the rising cost and said: “The Government believes it is right that it does all it can to support the search for Madeleine McCann.

“The Home Office will continue to work closely with the Metropolitan Police to review and control the costs appropriately and to ensure that the investigation has the resources it requires.”

PAMadeleine McCann missing child
Missing: Madeleine McCann

It comes as a top Portuguese ­prosecutor takes over solving the mystery of Madeleine’s disappearance from her holiday apartment.

Ines Sequeira is said to be ‘‘utterly determined’’ to solve the case.

And Metropolitan Police officers are also planning to return to the Algarve resort of Praia da Luz to ‘‘re-interview’’ three suspects in their push to find the kidnappers. They have sent a sent a fifth letter to Portuguese officers requesting access to the investigation, which has thrown up seven suspects.

Scotland Yard has handed the Home Office a bill for £7,332,389 since 2011 when the force was called in by David Cameron.

Figures show police received a special grant payment of £1.9million in 2011/2012, £2.8million in 2012/2013 and £2.6million in 2013/2014.

The amounts were revealed following a Freedom of Information request. It showed the bill for 2014/2015 is expected to be “broadly in line with previous years”. That will take the total to above £10million.



Thirty murder squad detectives are continuing the hunt in Portugal.

Expensive specialist forensic units have carried out excavations around Praia da Luz from where Madeleine went missing in 2007, aged three.

Scotland Yard refused to comment about payments to Portuguese police for the search.

A Met spokesman said: “We are not prepared to give a running commentary on the search.”

Madeleine’s parents, Kate and Gerry from Rothley, Leics, have been assured the search will go on for the “foreseeable future”.

A spokesman for the family said: “Madeleine’s parents remain extremely grateful for the work carried out by officers from ­Operation Grange in the continued search for their daughter.”



http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hunt-missing-madeleine-mccann-cost-4428360#ixzz3FsSXuxbk
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
avatar
Andrew

Posts : 13087
Join date : 2014-08-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  Andrew on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 11:15 pm

'Thirty murder squad detectives are continuing the hunt in Portugal'.

So they definitely think it's a murder then..?
avatar
Andrew

Posts : 13087
Join date : 2014-08-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  Châtelaine on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 11:17 pm

Oh, yes ... IMO, of course.
avatar
Châtelaine

Posts : 2380
Join date : 2014-08-27
Location : France

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  canada12 on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 11:45 pm

Andrew wrote:'Thirty murder squad detectives are continuing the hunt in Portugal'.

So they definitely think it's a murder then..?

That leaped out at me as well. Says it all, really.
avatar
canada12

Posts : 1058
Join date : 2014-08-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  Poe on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 9:16 am

It certainly puts the cost of the investigation into perspective.

Instead of comparing the amount of money spent on Ben Needham and other missing people, we should be comparing this case to murder investigations.

A quick google brought up the murder of Emma Caldwell in Glasgow: http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2011/11/16/murdered-prostitute-case-cost-police-4-million/. Between 2005 and 2011, this investigation had cost almost £4 million. This is a complex case but, unlike Madeleine, only one police force in one country is investigating.

What price do you put on public safety? At what point do you say, "This is too expensive." and let a murderer walk free?

My opinion only.



avatar
Poe

Posts : 929
Join date : 2014-09-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  Andrew on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 10:25 am

A very difficult question to answer in terms of how much.

They surely know that it can't continue and spiral even more cost wise.

I personally think everything is coming to a head very soon. Phase 3 to start and I reckon that will be the last phase.

The end game is near and it won't be a whitewash.

All IMO.
avatar
Andrew

Posts : 13087
Join date : 2014-08-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  Andrew on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 11:45 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2790678/cost-madeleine-mccann-search-tops-10m-new-drive-answers-means-police-bill-double-initial-5m-estimate.html
avatar
Andrew

Posts : 13087
Join date : 2014-08-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  Guest on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 12:21 pm

Andrew wrote:A very difficult question to answer in terms of how much.

They surely know that it can't continue and spiral even more cost wise.

I personally think everything is coming to a head very soon. Phase 3 to start and I reckon that will be the last phase.

The end game is near and it won't be a whitewash.

All IMO.

Couldn't agree more. In my opinion Redwood's impending retirement and the end of the current government's term in office both put time limits on this investigation. I'm hoping for Phase 3 before Christmas.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  DarkestDawn on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 8:58 pm

Interesting hey mentioned the forensic units, after all OG said (despite the papers saying there was 'no' evidence) that they hadn't yet 'identified' evidence relating to Maddie. I interpreted it that they found something that required DNA testing, which they're not likely to reveal the results of anytime soon. I don't believe this is a whitewash.
avatar
DarkestDawn

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-08-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  Andrew on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 9:06 pm

DarkestDawn wrote:Interesting hey mentioned the forensic units, after all OG said (despite the papers saying there was 'no' evidence) that they hadn't yet 'identified' evidence relating to Maddie. I interpreted it that they found something that required DNA testing, which they're not likely to reveal the results of anytime soon. I don't believe this is a whitewash.

With the complexity of this case then it's very obvious that O.G will not let on about anything related to it at all. Everything has been absolutely watertight. It has to be until the time is right. No margin for error.

Whatever is reported in the papers is as usual, complete tosh.

IMO.
avatar
Andrew

Posts : 13087
Join date : 2014-08-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  DarkestDawn on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 9:33 pm

I wholeheartedly agree Andrew, the case has to be beyond all reasonable doubt.

The papers regurgitate stuff over and over and try to make it look like new information. The amount of 'coulds' 'mays' 'It is understood' 'a source close says' 'it is believed' s et al that pepper every article shows you just how much barrel scraping they are doing.

The actual statements from the police are what I go by to form my opinions.
avatar
DarkestDawn

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-08-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  Châtelaine on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 10:27 pm

Corroborating evidence for the dogs' findings is not necessarily finding a body. It may be a combination of all other circumstantial "evidence" like wooshing or closed curtains, slamming door, jemmied shutters, the date of the "Last Picture", slip-ups in many television interviews, newspaper articles, the Smith sighting, corrupted timelines from May 3 night on ...
avatar
Châtelaine

Posts : 2380
Join date : 2014-08-27
Location : France

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  Guest on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 10:43 pm

Châtelaine wrote:Corroborating evidence for the dogs' findings is not necessarily finding a body. It may be a combination of all other circumstantial "evidence" like wooshing or closed curtains, slamming door, jemmied shutters, the date of the "Last Picture", slip-ups in many television interviews, newspaper articles, the Smith sighting, corrupted timelines from May 3 night on ...

Or even breaking people who might have been involved in helping to hide a body.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  DarkestDawn on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 11:35 pm

They could have found trace residues of where a body had been buried in a transit grave.

It's a long read but I think you'll find this book interesting, especially page 113

https://worldtracker.org/media/library/Law%20Enforcement/Forensics%20and%20Investigation/Cadaver%20Dog%20Handbook%202000%20(Forensic%20Training%20&%20Tactics%20for%20the%20Recovery%20of%20Human%20Remains)%20By%20Andrew%20Rebmann.pdf

avatar
DarkestDawn

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-08-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  Poe on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 8:54 am

wlbts wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:Corroborating evidence for the dogs' findings is not necessarily finding a body. It may be a combination of all other circumstantial "evidence" like wooshing or closed curtains, slamming door, jemmied shutters, the date of the "Last Picture", slip-ups in many television interviews, newspaper articles, the Smith sighting, corrupted timelines from May 3 night on ...

Or even breaking people who might have been involved in helping to hide a body.

I think that was the reason that the police allowed themselves to be filmed investigating the hole they found.

If the police were just scoping out the area with no idea of what they might or might not find, or if there had been the slightest chance that they might find a body, tv cameras would not have been allowed anywhere near.

It was a message ...ramping up the pressure.

avatar
Poe

Posts : 929
Join date : 2014-09-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  PMR on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:32 am

I see the costs this way. If it's proved Maddie is dead and G&K were in any way involved, there will almost certainly be charges arising from her death ( I'm sure Portuguese law isn't that dissimilar to ours) these could range from murder , manslaughter, neglect etc . There may also be charges related to the twins, especially in the case of any neglect aspect
Then there could be prosecutions related to the disposal of her body , not allowing a proper burial etc , If anybody is then found i.e. Tapas group, family members to have known what happened but kept it quiet you are looking at perverting the course of justice , obstruct police and the like
Those are just issues relating to Maddie herself, there would then be all the aspects of the fund and deceptions etc possible perjury the list is near endless
If it can be proven G&K were in anyway culpable in Maddies death the tidal wave of public opinion will be such that every possible charge will have to be brought against all involved . That could run into dozens of charges £10 million suddenly doesn't seem that much
avatar
PMR

Posts : 483
Join date : 2014-09-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of British Police search tops £10 Million

Post  DarkestDawn on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 5:01 pm

I've often wondered what price could be put on repairingn relationships with Portugal, and if that's part of the motivation
avatar
DarkestDawn

Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-08-30

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum