MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oscar Pistorius - Guilty of culpable homicide ** UPDATE** Now guilty of Murder!

+21
Honeyblade
bluebell
PMR
Bampots
Guinea Pig
joyce1938
Mo
dogs don't lie
costello
chirpyinsect
Freedom
Carlymichelle
Mimi
Fiat500
Marky
Andrew
candyfloss
Justformaddiemccann
Châtelaine
wjk
Admin
25 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Oscar Pistorius -  Guilty of culpable homicide ** UPDATE** Now guilty of Murder! - Page 3 Empty Re: Oscar Pistorius - Guilty of culpable homicide ** UPDATE** Now guilty of Murder!

Post  Andrew Mon 20 Oct 2014, 4:16 pm

So tomorrow is the day that we finally find out what O.P gets.

Can't even fathom a guess what the outcome will be?

Not the maximum 15 years, that's for sure.

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Oscar Pistorius -  Guilty of culpable homicide ** UPDATE** Now guilty of Murder! - Page 3 Empty Re: Oscar Pistorius - Guilty of culpable homicide ** UPDATE** Now guilty of Murder!

Post  chirpyinsect Mon 20 Oct 2014, 5:02 pm

Andrew wrote:So tomorrow is the day that we finally find out what O.P gets.

Can't even fathom a guess what the outcome will be?

Not the maximum 15 years, that's for sure.

My guess is for 7 years with parole application after 2 then released under Correctional Supervision. But what do I know?
And I really don`t know but just a feeling.
chirpyinsect
chirpyinsect

Back to top Go down

Oscar Pistorius -  Guilty of culpable homicide ** UPDATE** Now guilty of Murder! - Page 3 Empty The sentence

Post  Freedom Tue 21 Oct 2014, 9:50 am

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:05 am

So 5 years then. Out in 2 and a half.

If he wasn't a famous athlete then he would be looking at a hell of a lot longer than that. IMO.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Oscar Pistorius -  Guilty of culpable homicide ** UPDATE** Now guilty of Murder! - Page 3 Empty Re -Oscar Pistorius on trial for murdering Reeva Steenkamp update Found Guilty of Culpable Homicide

Post  costello Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:13 am

I have just read on twitter he will serve 10 months in prison and the rest under house arrest.??
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:17 am

costello wrote:I have just read on twitter he will serve 10 months in prison and the rest under house arrest.??
Oscar Pistorius gets five years for Reeva Steenkamp death

South African athlete Oscar Pistorius has been given five years in jail for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

In court in Pretoria, Judge Thokozile Masipa also gave Pistorius a three-year suspended sentence for a firearms charge. Pistorius has now been taken to the cells.

Prosecutors had called for a minimum 10-year term, and the defence argued for community service and house arrest.

Pistorius was convicted of culpable homicide but cleared of murder.
'Feeling of unease'
Defence lawyer Barry Roux said his client was expected to serve 10 months in prison, with the rest under house arrest.

The BBC's Andrew Harding, in court, says the parents of Reeva Steenkamp, Barry and June, tell him they are happy with the sentence and relieved the case is over.

Reacting to the sentence, Dup De Bruyn, a lawyer for the Steenkamp family, told Reuters that "justice was served".

Judge Masipa had begun reading the sentence by saying that, although she had been aided by assessors, the decision was hers and hers alone.

She said: "Sentencing is about achieving the right balance. Sentencing is not a perfect exercise."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29700457

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:18 am

costello wrote:I have just read on twitter he will serve 10 months in prison and the rest under house arrest.??

Blimey, didn't realise that.

Just snipped from Sky News:

His defence team said he would spend a sixth of the term in prison - 10 months - before being placed under house arrest for the remainder of his sentence.

State prosecutors, however, say he is likely to serve one third of the sentence behind bars.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:27 am

Andrew wrote:

Blimey, didn't realise that.

Just snipped from Sky News:

His defence team said he would spend a sixth of the term in prison - 10 months - before being placed under house arrest for the remainder of his sentence.

State prosecutors, however, say he is likely to serve one third of the sentence behind bars.

I wasn`t far off with 7 and out in 2. I read they have to serve 1/3 of the sentence then if less than 5 to go they can be released under supervision. Disgraceful that his "standing" pun intended, should earmark him for special treatment. He has been convicted of a crime and should serve his term the same as anyone else. He should have thought of the conditions in jail before he fired 4 shots through a locked door.
chirpyinsect
chirpyinsect

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Mon 27 Oct 2014, 3:53 pm

Oscar Pistorius trial: Appeal against guilty verdict

27 October 2014 Last updated at 14:21

South African prosecutors say they are going to appeal against the conviction and sentence given to athlete Oscar Pistorius for killing his girlfriend.

Last week, Pistorius began serving a five year prison sentence for the culpable homicide of Reeva Steenkamp, although he could be out in 10 months.

The double-amputee Olympic sprinter was cleared of murder.

"The appeal on conviction is based on the question of law," the national prosecuting spokesman said.

Pistorius' family have said that he will not appeal.

The athlete was also given a three-year suspended sentence for firing a gun in a restaurant.

A file photograph showing Reeva Steenkamp in South Africa on 27 June 2012 Reeva Steenkamp had been going out with Pistorius for three months before the fatal shooting
"The prosecutors are now preparing the necessary papers in order to be able to file within the next few days," Nathi Mncube from the National Prosecuting Authority said in a statement.

'Gun-toting and possessive'

Pistorius was charged by the prosecution with the pre-meditated murder of Ms Steenkamp, a model and law graduate.

He was acquitted of this and the lesser murder charge of dolus eventualis.

In South African law, this charge - also known as common-law murder - applies if the accused knew they might kill someone but still went ahead with their course of action.

June Steenkamp, Pretoria, South Africa June Steenkamp rejects Oscar Pistorius' version of events
The BBC's Pumza Fihlani, who followed the athlete's trial, says the prosecution's grounds for appeal may lie with how the judge interpreted dolus eventualis.

The judge's critics have argued that dolus eventualis includes the possibility of meaning to kill one person and ending up killing another, our correspondent says.

Pistorius says he shot dead Ms Steenkamp in the early hours of Valentine's Day last year by mistake, fearing there was an intruder in the house.

On Sunday, Ms Steenkamp's mother June would not say whether the family would support a state appeal.

"All we have ever said is that we want to know the truth. We owe it to Reeva," she told the Times newspaper.

She was interviewed ahead of the publication next month of her book, Reeva: A Mother's Story.

In the book she describes her daughter's boyfriend as "pathetic", "moody", "gun-toting" and "possessive" and rejects his version of events.

"There is no doubt in our minds that something went horribly wrong, something upset her so terribly that she hid behind a locked door with two mobile phones," she writes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29786011

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Wed 10 Dec 2014, 9:04 am

So the appeal has been allowed....

Pistorius case: Judge rules prosecutors can appeal

A South African judge has ruled that prosecutors can appeal against the "culpable homicide" conviction of Paralympian athlete Oscar Pistorius.

The double amputee was jailed for five years in October for shooting dead his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, at his home last year.

Judge Thokozile Masipa said prosecutors could not challenge the length of the sentence given to Pistorius.

Pistorius's lawyers had opposed the appeal request.

Prosecutors are seeking a murder conviction and the case will now go before South Africa's Supreme Court of Appeal.

They have argued that Judge Thokozile Masipa misinterpreted the law when she ruled that Pistorius did not intentionally shoot Ms Steenkamp.

Judge Masipa announced the ruling in a Pretoria court on Wednesday.

"I cannot say... that the prospect of success at the Supreme Court of Appeal is remote," she said.

"The application therefore in respect of count one is decided in favour of the applicant.

"The application for leave to appeal against the sentence is dismissed."

Outlining his case on Tuesday, prosecutor Gerrie Nel said the sentence was "shockingly inappropriate and does not fit the crime and the accused".

The sprinter had been charged by the prosecution with the premeditated murder of Ms Steenkamp, a model and law graduate.

He was also acquitted of the lesser murder charge of dolus eventualis - also known as common-law murder - by Judge Masipa, who ruled that he did not intend to kill.

The prosecution had called for the maximum 15-year sentence for culpable homicide, or manslaughter.

Ms Steenkamp was shot dead at Pistorius' home in Pretoria in the early hours of Valentine's Day last year. He said he feared there was an intruder.

Pistorius is serving the sentence in the hospital wing of Pretoria's Kgosi Mampuru II prison.

Correspondents say the appeal is likely to take place next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30408424

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 10 Dec 2014, 11:00 am

Great news.

I watched the trial. Judge Maispa's reasoning was baffling. How she dismissed all the prosecutions witnesses evidence and picked and chose which bits to believe in Oscar's favour.

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Wed 12 Aug 2015, 5:06 pm

What already!!!! Shocked

Oscar Pistorius is about to be released from prison - 10 months into his five-year sentence

snipped

Oscar Pistorius will be released from jail next week after serving 10 months of his five year sentence for killing his girlfriend, the model Reeva Steenkamp.

While the former athlete did not apply for early release himself, the parole board at Kgosi Mampuru II prison in Pretoria where he is being held has recommended he be released into the community at the first opportunity.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/oscar-pistorius-release-date-prison-jail-reeva-steenkamp-latest-news-10451613.html

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 12 Aug 2015, 5:33 pm

I hope he has plenty of security guards as I can't see him lasting very long, there must be thousands of people who think he hasn't served justice for what he did to Reeva and they will be looking to get their revenge.

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Wed 12 Aug 2015, 6:31 pm

I think it's a disgrace, if Reeva had been to the loo she's bound to have flushed the chain and washed her hands before she turned to the door and went to open it. Why would she feel she had to go into the bathroom with her mobile and lock the door if she didn't need the loo?
IMO

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Wed 12 Aug 2015, 6:52 pm

Doesn't seem right at all. Poor family have had no justice at all imo Crying or Very sad

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Wed 12 Aug 2015, 7:02 pm

Doesn't seem right? Dear CF, you're being too kind. It is COMPLETELY WRONG!
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Wed 12 Aug 2015, 7:16 pm

Seeing Reeves poor mum and dad at the trial was heartbreaking, wouldn't like to see them on hearing this Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 12 Aug 2015, 8:12 pm

dogs don't lie wrote:Seeing Reeves poor mum and dad at the trial was heartbreaking, wouldn't like to see them on hearing this Sad

I spent so much time following the trial I think I knew more about it then the useless Judge in the end. I got up before 8.30 each morning to follow the trial live on Sky (for me being retired that is something not heard of before), I also followed it on the live link from South Africa which cost me a fortune as it went over my allotted time on the internet, but I was so enthralled by it all it was worth it.

However, the outcome was a travesty of justice, I don't know how Reeva's parents could say they were happy with the judgement, whether they were paid to shut up I wouldn't like to guess but if that was my daughter I would be shouting from the rooftops for years not accepting that lenient judgement.  It truly stunk.

Back to top Go down

Oscar Pistorius -  Guilty of culpable homicide ** UPDATE** Now guilty of Murder! - Page 3 Empty Re:Oscar Pistorius.

Post  costello Wed 12 Aug 2015, 8:25 pm

It had been mentioned after he was found guilty and sentenced that he may only serve 10 months of his term in prison, with the rest of his remaining time under house arrest. It just shows money talks with regards to the best of the best in the legal fraternity. Reeva's parents will no doubt have started a civil case, they seem to have bought a small hotel which will keep them financially afloat (as was previously mentioned in the press, they were struggling financially and Reeva helped them out). I don't believe justice has been done here but if all parties are in agreement who knows what the outcome is. I was under the impression Gerry Nel for the prosecution was appealing Pistorius's  sentence, but obviously not. Just my thoughts.
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Wed 12 Aug 2015, 8:42 pm

I remember hearing that too, about GN, but have heard nothing else since.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mo Wed 12 Aug 2015, 9:07 pm

As I understand it, Gerry Nell could appeal against the verdict but not the sentencing. Her parents were quite happy with the sentencing and her mother then wrote a book.
Mo
Mo

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Wed 12 Aug 2015, 9:21 pm

Mo wrote:As I understand it, Gerry Nell could appeal against the verdict but not the sentencing.  Her parents were quite happy with the sentencing and her mother then wrote a book.

Oh, I didn't even know her mum wrote a book, thanks Mo x

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 13 Aug 2015, 9:46 am

Pistorius may face returning to prison after his release as a Supreme Court hearing in November will see prosecutors argue his conviction should be scaled up to murder.

If successful Pistorious will face a minimum 15-year jail term.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Mo Thu 13 Aug 2015, 10:12 am

Where did you get this info from Andrew?
Mo
Mo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next