MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cry - new TV drama

+7
Freedom
Lee T G
candyfloss
Heisenburg
Guinea Pig
Antonia
froggy
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Cry - new TV drama Empty Re: The Cry - new TV drama

Post  Freedom Thu 27 Sep 2018, 5:32 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bmkqng

A new series starting on Sunday. The write-up in the Radio Times is interesting. "The parallels with the Madeleine McCann case jump out of the screen. The couple involved are attractive, middle class and articulate, but they left their baby alone, just for a moment, they say, and he vanished".

It goes on to question the mother's behaviour, wondering if she could have been involved.

Good on the BBC for linking the McCanns with this!

I won't be able to watch it as a major part of the first episode involves a baby crying throughout a flight to Australia!

I hope that someone will be able to watch though.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Thu 27 Sep 2018, 6:22 pm

You could watch it on IPlayer with sound off & subtitles on. I often watch programs with subtitles
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Thu 27 Sep 2018, 9:24 pm

I do too as it's difficult for me to blot out background noises.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

The Cry - new TV drama Empty The Cry - new TV drama

Post  Antonia Mon 01 Oct 2018, 9:18 am

Did any other members watch The cry last night on BBC1? Its based on a fiction book published in 2013 set mainly in Australia.

In the pre publicity, as its about a missing baby, it was linked to the McCann Case.

I will certainly be watching the three other episodes. The husband is as unlikeable as Gerry McCann. He is not a world renowned heart surgeon (as Tracey Kandohla says); this distraught dad is a spin doctor for the labour Party! Not so sure about the wife yet - she does seem very fragile though.

I cheated, read a review of the book and one reviewer referred me to her blog in which she revealed a key fact which really made me think about the McCanns. I won't reveal this now. and even with this knowledge I'm not sure where the story will finally go.
Antonia
Antonia

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 01 Oct 2018, 10:34 am

I mentioned this on the general TV topic.

Here is the link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bmkqng

A new series starting on Sunday. The write-up in the Radio Times is interesting. "The parallels with the Madeleine McCann case jump out of the screen. The couple involved are attractive, middle class and articulate, but they left their baby alone, just for a moment, they say, and he vanished".

It goes on to question the mother's behaviour, wondering if she could have been involved.

Good on the BBC for linking the McCanns with this!

I won't be able to watch it as a major part of the first episode involves a baby crying throughout a flight to Australia!

I hope that someone will be able to watch though.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Mon 01 Oct 2018, 11:02 am

Sounds interesting, I will try and have a look, although I hardly watch the telly these days.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 01 Oct 2018, 11:11 am

I will watch it from next week - a friend has given me information on the first episode - now that the unwatchable bit for me has gone.

P.S. Here's a review.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/the-cry-review-jenna-coleman-shines-as-an-unravelling-new-mother/ar-BBNLthO?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=mailsignout
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sat 06 Oct 2018, 4:29 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bnfjvg

Tomorrow's episode. This should have Team McCann spitting feathers - public opinion starts to turn against the parents with comments on social media.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sat 06 Oct 2018, 6:57 pm

Oh flip, I haven't watched the first one as yet..

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Sat 06 Oct 2018, 6:59 pm

You just reminded me about it, nearly forgot. It's very like (The Missing?) and I enjoyed that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Antonia Sat 06 Oct 2018, 8:12 pm

I have read a preview of Episode 2 (BBC1 Sunday night 9pm) and the mother Joanna annoyed by internet 'trolls' with theories about her baby registers herself under a pseudonym.... Did Kate McCann register on CMOMM and if so who was she?

The book the series was based on was published I think in 2013 so maybe the author researched the McCann forums?
Antonia
Antonia

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sat 06 Oct 2018, 8:38 pm

candyfloss wrote:Oh flip, I haven't watched the first one as yet..

It's still available on the i-player.

It's very interesting that the plot involves the mother posting on Internet forums. I don't recall there ever being any suggestion that Kate did that, only that she might be the person running the McCann Facebook page.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sun 07 Oct 2018, 10:38 pm

I'm going to watch both episodes back to back one day next week. The twitter tag on the subject of the programme has got very favourable reviews and people really enjoying it. Some saying how similar it is to another case we all discuss here. There is mention about a twist at the end being unexpected?? Don't tell me though Smile

Can't wait to watch it now.

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sun 07 Oct 2018, 10:58 pm

I don't think that there can be any doubt that the writer of the book in 2013 was influenced by the McCann case.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Mon 08 Oct 2018, 11:51 am

Goodness just been reading this article and it is so similar in many ways even down to the bruising on the arms.... Shocked

[snipped]

How did Joanna get the bruises on her arm?

While getting undressed to have a bath, Joanna revealed her heavily bruised arm, and until that point we hadn’t seen any indication as to where she would have got them from.

Plus the bit about the 'burner phone' Remember the tapas had what they call burner phones given them. IIRC, to save their regular phones racking up large bills they said.

What is a burner phone?
The term "burner phone" is a slang that refers to cheap, disposable pre-paid cellular phones. Burner phones are often associated with illegal activities; however, people can use burner phones for legitimate temporary phone numbers

After being advised to stay off social media, Joanna used a burner phone to see what people were saying about her online before also beginning to leave comments on the case of her missing son

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/the-cry-episode-2-review-jenna-coleman-bbc-drama_uk_5bb760f9e4b0876eda9d7216?utm_hp_ref=uk-entertainment

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 08 Oct 2018, 12:15 pm

It's surprising that so far there hasn't been a peep out of Team McCann!
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Antonia Mon 08 Oct 2018, 1:40 pm

Freedom wrote:It's surprising that so far there hasn't been a peep out of Team McCann!

Team McCann must be waiting to go speed dial to Carter Ruck.

Alastair, the husband, is very dislikeable as is Gerry McCann.

The ex wife seems to be being set up as Murat was.

I know what happened to the baby in the book on which the series is based as I read a blog review of it.

I hope media reviewers will discuss the series in detail pointing out the similarities to the McCann case. When the reveal happens (what happened to baby Noah) I think Kate will go into hiding...….
Antonia
Antonia

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Tue 09 Oct 2018, 11:30 am

According to an interview in next week's Radio Times, the Australian writer of the book, Helen Fitzgerald, says that it was influenced by the dingo baby case - hmmm!
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guinea Pig Tue 09 Oct 2018, 4:50 pm

I have read about the Chamberlain dingo baby case and it seems unlikely that it could have influenced the novel The Cry.

Maybe there will be some similarities in the remaining two episodes?
Guinea Pig
Guinea Pig

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee T G Wed 10 Oct 2018, 7:11 am

Watching The Cry is quite a slog. Way too arty and over produced. The sound is thoroughly annoying when they keep dropping the volume in and out for what they deem "dramatic effect" but in actuality has us all reaching for our remotes thinking the sound's gone.
But within this over-long over egged drama there are blatant similarities of the footage and images we have seen of the McCanns over the years. It is strikingly obvious this is a nod to the Mcs - certainly not the Dingo Baby. The wistful looks of the woman, the emotionless man, that's not a coincidence. It's a direct lift of how the Mcs behave. It's allegorical.
Lee T G
Lee T G

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Wed 10 Oct 2018, 9:18 am

I always use subtitles anyway - there were certainly some scenes when I wouldn't have been able to follow the dialogue as it was so faint.

I wonder if Helen Fitzgerald (the book's writer) was "persuaded" to lead us all up the garden path with her reference to the dingo baby case.

Okay, maybe I'm paranoid!

P.S. Here's episode 3 for when it's available.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bp0pf1
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee T G Wed 10 Oct 2018, 6:07 pm

Whatever the author or screenplay writer might say as to influence there is no doubt, that if you casually switched on half way through, knew not what you were watching, would be forgiven for mistaking watching the McCanns (when the actors' faces were not in view), and even when they are in view that this might be a reconstruction program of the McCanns past 11 years>
Sorry but this is a blatant nod to the Mcs. Changing the child to a baby boy and location and MO is not enough to hide that.
Lee T G
Lee T G

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Sun 14 Oct 2018, 4:56 pm

Reading some spoilers for episode 3,is it a parody of the McCann case? the Cry that is.

Like this.

The short video was accompanied by a caption which read: “Two truths and a lie, in no particular order.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1031384/The-Cry-spoilers-BBC-Noah-missing-dead-clues-evidence-Joanna-Alistair-Jenna-Coleman
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sun 14 Oct 2018, 10:22 pm

I've watched episode 3 and can't say too much other than if the writer wasn't influenced in some way by the McCann case, then I'm the Queen of Sheba.

I'll just mention a comment from Alistair (the father who makes Gerry McCann seem like a nice person) - people are entitled to their opinions as to whether he and Joanna were involved but it's taking attention away from the need for everyone to search for their child.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee T G Mon 15 Oct 2018, 7:34 am

Freedom wrote:I've watched episode 3 and can't say too much other than if the writer wasn't influenced in some way by the McCann case, then I'm the Queen of Sheba.

I'll just mention a comment from Alistair (the father who makes Gerry McCann seem like a nice person) - people are entitled to their opinions as to whether he and Joanna were involved but it's taking attention away from the need for everyone to search for their child.

OMG that's almost a direct lift, isn't it?
Lee T G
Lee T G

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next