Nineteen Eighty Four

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nineteen Eighty Four

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:16 pm

As you'll realise from my username, I'm a great fan of George Orwell's classic novel.  Big Brother, Room 101, the Thought Police - they have seeped into everyday usage.  It amused me to recently read that it is the book people most often say they have read but haven't.  I can only say that if you haven't read it, then please do.  Beware though, there's no happy ending.  

In the novel, there is 'the book within the book', a treatise called 'The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism', and even if you don't read Nineteen Eighty Four, at least read this:

http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/go-goldstein.html

It's a bit of a long read but in my opinion it shows where we've come from, what's happening now and, alarmingly, where we might be heading . . .

Back to top Go down

Re: Nineteen Eighty Four

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:54 pm

It's in my list of top ten favourite novels Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:11 am

I'm just going through the link you gave, fascinating!

I've seen part of the film but just as Brave New World it is rather depressing. However i'm not disenchanted as I've never been impressed by what passes for democracy anywhere.

What has positively enraged me is that history is now barely taught and that must be deliberate. Any group who has no sense of their history have in effect no memory and so programming is easy.

-and it is intentional so the fairy tales told to the masses via the media can easily become their 'truth'.
That's where the McCann case is such a clear example of creating opinions.

I like Terry Pratchet, Jingo was good on the Iraq war. But I'm going to read the book wthin the book this week!
Thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post  Poe on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:55 am

My English Literature teacher destroyed 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World and Charles Dickens to such an extent that even now, decades later and still an avid reader, I can't bring myself to pick up any of those works. Strangely, she never managed to do the same with Shakespeare.

Nevertheless, I do think that everyone should read 1984 at least once.
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:05 pm

Poe wrote:My English Literature teacher destroyed 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World and Charles Dickens to such an extent that even now, decades later and still an avid reader, I can't bring myself to pick up any of those works. Strangely, she never managed to do the same with Shakespeare.

I really enjoyed the film too, with John Hurt as Winston Smith.......

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:59 pm

wlbts wrote:It's in my list of top ten favourite novels Smile

Heh!  I'd have bet a tenner on that, WLBTS.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Tigger wrote:I'm just going through the link you gave, fascinating!  

I've seen part of the film  but just as Brave New World it is rather depressing.  However i'm not disenchanted as I've  never been impressed by what passes for democracy anywhere.

What has positively enraged me is that history is now barely taught and that must be deliberate. Any group who has no sense of their history have in effect no memory  and so programming is easy.

-and it is intentional so the fairy tales told to the masses via the media can easily become their 'truth'.
That's where the McCann case is such a clear example of  creating opinions.

I like Terry Pratchet,  Jingo was good on the Iraq war. But I'm going to read the book wthin the book this week!
Thank you.

My pleasure, Tigger. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Napoleon said: "History is a set of lies agreed upon."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Poe wrote:My English Literature teacher destroyed 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World and Charles Dickens to such an extent that even now, decades later and still an avid reader, I can't bring myself to pick up any of those works. Strangely, she never managed to do the same with Shakespeare.

That's sad to hear, Poe.  I'm of an age where some of my teachers were truly dreadful and would never be allowed to teach today.  All but one, who gave me a love of literature and patiently showed me how to wring every last drop of meaning from Shakespeare.  As an aside, I'm fascinated by the theory that the Bard was actually the Earl of Oxford . . .

I first read 1984 at school and wonder if it's ever on the syllabus these days.  Yes, everyone should read it.  I keep giving my copies away but just ordered it again from Amazon . . .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:11 pm

candyfloss wrote:

I really enjoyed the film too, with John Hurt as Winston Smith.......

Now, where have I seen that face before . . . ?

Richard Burton as O' Brien was terrific, his last screen role I believe.

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:22 pm

Richard Burton, one of my all time stars ...

1984, one of my all time fears. Yes, I was worried about that year Crying or Very sad
And now I think he might have miscalculated and it should have read 2014 ...
Cool
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Châtelaine wrote:Richard Burton, one of my all time stars ...

1984, one of my all time fears. Yes, I was worried about that year Crying or Very sad
And now I think he might have miscalculated and it should have read 2014 ...
Cool

'Beckett' was on a few weeks ago with Burton starring opposite Peter O' Toole, a Saturday treat.  Would love to see The Medusa Touch again, haven't see it since I was about 10 and it scared the living cr@p out of me . . .

I think almost all of Orwell's predictions are with us albeit in a slightly different form - I read a few months ago of a family who bought a Samsung smart TV who became aware that online adverts seem to have been targeted at them from conversations they'd had in the living room, in front of the TV.  It seemed the device had a built-in webcam and microphone detecting keywords in their conversations.  Luckily - for now - it was the default setting and could be turned off.

The only thing I don't think Orwell really imagined was our smartphones and tablets, all with a built-in high def camera and video recorder.  Not only is Big Brother spying on us, we're spying on each other too . . .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:22 pm

ChillyHeat wrote:

Thanks so much, ChillyHeat! That's tomorrow evening's viewing sorted.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:24 pm

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:35 pm

Commenting on 1984, Orwell wrote, “I do not believe that the kind of society I describe necessarily will arrive, but I believe that something resembling it could arrive.”
Has it?
Of course, the United States is not autocratic; but many of the disturbing elements of 1984 actually exist in American society. In some cases, what is happening in the U.S. is more draconian and invasive than anything Orwell conceived.

http://www.crisismagazine.com/2013/orwells-1984-are-we-there-yet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:54 pm

ChillyHeat wrote:Commenting on 1984, Orwell wrote, “I do not believe that the kind of society I describe necessarily will arrive, but I believe that something resembling it could arrive.”
Has it?
Of course, the United States is not autocratic; but many of the disturbing elements of 1984 actually exist in American society. In some cases, what is happening in the U.S. is more draconian and invasive than anything Orwell conceived.

http://www.crisismagazine.com/2013/orwells-1984-are-we-there-yet

Read the comments . . .  affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:20 am

On a lighter note: a new "development", the Nophone
http://nophone.myshopify.com/
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:14 pm

I love it, also fantastic when you just want to talk to yourself when you're amongst other people. Hold conversations and comment on your environment

I want one! They should come in different colours and the selfie feature is brilliant , if it's made a but heavier as well, it's a handy defence weapon to carry.

Very Happy

In the days when car phones were the thing to have, mu boyfriend had a phone which ripped out of a telephone box with the curly lead attached. He used to talk into in traffic jams with the lead clearly not attached to anything. Wonderful!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Winston Smith wrote:

I've seen part of the film  but just as Brave New World it is rather depressing.  However i'm not disenchanted as I've  never been impressed by what passes for democracy anywhere.

What has positively enraged me is that history is now barely taught and that must be deliberate. Any group who has no sense of their history have in effect no memory  and so programming is easy.

I like Terry Pratchet,  Jingo was good on the Iraq war. But I'm going to read the book wthin the book this week!
Thank you.

My pleasure, Tigger.  I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I'm a great admirer of Napoleon.  

I think it's spot on however, nature has a way of rectifying human folly.

Civilisation exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice -
Attributed to Will Durand (US historian 1885-1981).

Only 60.000 years ago the human population was down to 5 figure numbers.

Re the main part of the population the 'bread and circusses'  still  holds true.
TV is the great informer as to what should be important- I'm always totally amazed that the western world has to hear about a bus accident in  say, Bolivia and then a few pointless items about traffic taxes and weather.

As far as people management goes and the first part of the book , the McCann case has it all!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:43 am

A somewhat creaky but faithful version.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:15 pm

Seicento wrote:A somewhat creaky but faithful version.

Thanks for posting that, Seicento.  I've heard it's better than the Hurt / Burton adaptation.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:35 pm

Tigger wrote:
Winston Smith wrote:

Thank you.

My pleasure, Tigger.  I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I'm a great admirer of Napoleon.  

I think it's spot on however, nature has a way of rectifying human folly.

Civilisation exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice -
Attributed to Will Durand (US historian 1885-1981).

Only 60.000 years ago the human population was down to 5 figure numbers.

Re the main part of the population the 'bread and circusses'  still  holds true.
TV is the great informer as to what should be important- I'm always totally amazed that the western world has to hear about a bus accident in  say, Bolivia and then a few pointless items about traffic taxes and weather.

As far as people management goes and the first part of the book , the McCann case has it all!

We're constantly told we live in a democracy but really we live in a capitalist society - we have the illusion of democracy as the free market wouldn't work without it.  True democracy was probably only achieved in ancient Greece.  I think we should adopt their system of choosing constituency MPs by lottery.  All expenses paid for your five year term representing your constituents.  No career politicians, no political class, you serve for one term only.  And get rid of the House of Lords, replace it with 500 citizens who scrutinise legislation coming from the Commons.  With modern technology, we could really have democracy.

I love that quote from Durand - I'm a great believer that human kind has risen to great cultural heights in the past but catastrophic geological shifts meant we had to start again.  I'm not talking Atlantis as such, but I do believe that the world was mapped in antiquity and things like the Earth's place in the solar system and electricity were known about - check out the Baghdad Battery and other out of place artifacts.

As for TV, it's the greatest drug ever made - totally addictive, accessible to all, and those who control it decide the hallucinations . . .

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:30 pm

I have read pretty much all Orwells books.Particularly like Down and out in Paris and London and Homage to Catalonia.Animal Farm offcourse.
1984 i read about 30 years ago and i lost it so have just bought another copy off Ebay so i can read it again now that i have grown up !
Lioned

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum