Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  candyfloss on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:26 am

Thanks to Joana...............


Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation

4 November 2014 |



by Marisa Rodrigues

New witnesses of the English investigation to Madeleine McCann's disappearance are going to be questioned at the request of Scotland Yard (SY). The fifth letter rogatory is already in the hands of the Judiciary Police (PJ), who will now have to schedule the questionings.

The new Public Ministry prosecutor, to whom the Maddie process was recently attributed, authorized the questionings and forward the letter to the South PJ Directory, in Faro, so they can be carried out. JN was able to establish that there are about ten witnesses and that all of them are going to be questioned for the first time within the scope of the English investigation. Some of them are, however, already known to the Portuguese investigation and they had nothing relevant to say regarding the English child who disappeared seven years ago in Praia da Luz, in the Algarve.

Even though the English police has expressed their interest in questioning again the four men constituted as arguidos [formal suspects], that were questioned back in July, the English ended up leaving them out of this letter rogatory, which arrived to the Public Ministry in August. These new investigative steps should take place in the very same manner as it happened three months ago, with a notice for the witnesses to appear at the PJ headquarters. When the date is set, Scotland Yard may then request to the National PJ Directory to be present, without being able to intervene, just as before.

Last time they were in Portugal, on the 14th October, the English police expressed their desire to make a new letter rogatory (the sixth) requesting for the re-analyses of the samples that had been collected in the apartment from where Madeleine disappeared, namely hair samples and the fabric belonging to a curtain.

In a meeting at the National Institute of Forensic Medicine (INML), in Coimbra, which gathered detectives and forensic experts, Andy Redwood's team also spoke about the possibility that some of the samples could be taken to England and analysed in a private lab. Until the end of the afternoon, yesterday, no request had been made in that sense to the Public Ministry of Portimão, whose role is to assess and decide the letters rogatory.

in Jornal de Notícias, paper edition, November 4, 2014

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2014/11/maddie-case-10-witnesses-to-be.html

_________________
  
 

  


Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
avatar
candyfloss
Admin

Posts : 10497
Join date : 2014-08-18
Age : 64

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Justformaddiemccann on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 9:33 am

Ten witnesses to be questioned, but the four suspects have been left out!

_________________
Fight for Madeleine x
avatar
Justformaddiemccann

Posts : 322
Join date : 2014-08-31
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  candyfloss on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 9:58 am

Justformaddiemccann wrote:Ten witnesses to be questioned, but the four suspects have been left out!
Yes, this bit I find interesting....


that there are about ten witnesses and that all of them are going to be questioned for the first time within the scope of the English investigation. Some of them are, however, already known to the Portuguese investigation and they had nothing relevant to say regarding the English child who disappeared seven years ago in Praia da Luz, in the Algarve.

_________________
  
 

  


Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
avatar
candyfloss
Admin

Posts : 10497
Join date : 2014-08-18
Age : 64

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Andrew on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 10:09 am

candyfloss wrote:
Justformaddiemccann wrote:Ten witnesses to be questioned, but the four suspects have been left out!
Yes, this bit I find interesting....


that there are about ten witnesses and that all of them are going to be questioned for the first time within the scope of the English investigation. Some of them are, however, already known to the Portuguese investigation and they had nothing relevant to say regarding the English child who disappeared seven years ago in Praia da Luz, in the Algarve.

'Nothing relevant to say' - in other words maybe, 'didn't tell the truth'

'About 10 witnesses' - in other words maybe, 9 witnesses.

9 witnesses - maybe the tapas 9 Very Happy

Or am I again being too optimistic!!!
avatar
Andrew

Posts : 13087
Join date : 2014-08-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Justformaddiemccann on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 10:42 am

Being optimistic brightens my day so...
GM tells police exactly where he was at 1:29 & 2:29, then a pic appears 3weeks later placing him at the pool, he obviously wasn't there so has lied to police (imo). Maybe some of these witnesses can place him somewhere else? Or not place him where the pic does?
Imo

_________________
Fight for Madeleine x
avatar
Justformaddiemccann

Posts : 322
Join date : 2014-08-31
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Andrew on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 11:28 am

Justformaddiemccann wrote:Being optimistic brightens my day so...
GM tells police exactly where he was at 1:29 & 2:29, then a pic appears 3weeks later placing him at the pool, he obviously wasn't there so has lied to police (imo). Maybe some of these witnesses can place him somewhere else? Or not place him where the pic does?
Imo

Yes JFMM.

All coming together nicely.

Took a while - but these I's that needed dotting and T's that needed crossing are exactly what's being done.

The final stages now.

This is going to be explosive when it concludes.

Very soon as well in my optimistic opinion.

Will be getting Mr Redwood and the team a round of beers on me  Very Happy
avatar
Andrew

Posts : 13087
Join date : 2014-08-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  candyfloss on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 11:55 am

Now in Express this morning..


Maddie McCann: British police to return to Portugal for fresh interviews

BRITISH police are preparing to return to Portugal after getting the green light for fresh Madeleine McCann interviews.


By: Levi Winchester & Gerard CouzensLevi Winchester

Published: Tue, November 4, 2014




Scotland Yard detectives have been given permission to instigate a new set of probes by new prosecutor Ines Sequeira, who has finally approved a fifth international letter of request that was received by the state in August.

After being given the go-ahead, officers in Faro, Portugal, are now arranging interviews for British police, which will take place at the same police station where four suspects were probed in July.

These interviews are said to include re-quizzing three of these four suspects.

However, it is understood that Mrs Sequeira only authorised interviews with witnesses whom British police have never questioned directly.

In their fifth letter of request, Scotland Yard opted out of asking for permission to reinterview the suspects, according to Portuguese newspaper Jornal de Noticias.

British cops will also interview ten unnamed witnesses - some of whom were questioned by Portuguese police more than seven years ago when Madeleine first disappeared in Praia da Luz.

The Government believes it is right that it does all it can to support the search for Madeleine McCann
The Home Office

As happened when Operation Grange quizzed suspects and witnesses in July, Scotland Yard detectives will sit in on the interviews but they will be led by Portuguese officers who will ask questions on their behalf.

Operation Grange, an investigative review by Met Police into the circumstances surrounding Madeleine's disappearance, was last in Portugal three weeks ago.

A small team of three officers, including DCI Andy Redwood who is in charge of Operation Grange, met Policia Judiciaria bosses in Faro for an update meeting before visiting a lab where DNA samples collected after Madeleine's disappearance are held.

British police told Portugal's Institute of Legal Medicine and Forensic Sciences that they now want to retest some of the samples after it was found previous DNA tests carried out during the original investigation were incomplete.

Last week it emerged that nearly 100 of the 444 strands of hair tested during the original Madeleine McCann investigation were never DNA-matched

The investigation found 432 hairs were human and 12 non-human, while they were unable to DNA-match 98 of them and only obtained partial results from 19 of them.



In order to retest the hairs, British police will need to send a sixth letter of request to Mrs Sequeira, who will then have to give permission for forensic experts to take samples to Britain for analysis.

Institute president Francisco Brizida, said after the October 14 meeting: "I have the certainty they went away very happy.

"The tonic of the meeting was about the possibility of the tests on samples collected in 2007 being re-done.

"The British police wanted clarification on the examinations the institute had carried out during the early stages of the inquiry in the areas of genetics and biology.

"We talked about non-identified material that was collected in Madeleine's apartment.

"I can't say for sure new DNA tests that didn't yield a conclusive result in 2007 could now yield an objective result.

"But technology nowadays allows us to go further than years ago in areas like genetic markers."

Last month it was revealed that the cost of the British police search for Madeleine will soon reach £10million.

However, the Home Office has defended the cost of the probe, insisting: "The Government believes it is right that it does all it can to support the search for Madeleine McCann."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/531252/Maddie-McCann-British-police-to-return-to-Portugal

_________________
  
 

  


Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
avatar
candyfloss
Admin

Posts : 10497
Join date : 2014-08-18
Age : 64

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 1:19 pm

Andrew wrote:
Justformaddiemccann wrote:Being optimistic brightens my day so...
GM tells police exactly where he was at 1:29 & 2:29, then a pic appears 3weeks later placing him at the pool, he obviously wasn't there so has lied to police (imo). Maybe some of these witnesses can place him somewhere else? Or not place him where the pic does?
Imo

Yes JFMM.

All coming together nicely.

Took a while - but these I's that needed dotting and T's that needed crossing are exactly what's being done.

The final stages now.

This is going to be explosive when it concludes.

Very soon as well in my optimistic opinion.

Will be getting Mr Redwood and the team a round of beers on me  Very Happy

I agree with you Andrew.

I've just been having a think of some other witnesses who may be interviewed or have been interviewed including:

Arthur Cowley
Dave Edgar
Daniel Krugel
Michael Wright
The Gaspars
All the people who worked for Metodo 3 and were involved in the McCann case
All the people named in the files that Metodo 3 had which were taken away by SY
The co-driver of the inflatable advertising hoarding that was taken to Portugal (the friend of the man who killed himself, I can't think of their names atm)

I expect other posters could add to the list.

The PJ may have interviewed people without SY being present such as the Metodo 3 employees if it helped to push the case forward and SY agreed to it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Châtelaine on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 3:20 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IMO the Yard only needs Portuguese permission for [re-]interviewing, if the "witnesses" are either Portuguese citizens or Portuguese residents.
And these may very well be the last ones to state what they did NOT see at crucial moments ...
avatar
Châtelaine

Posts : 2379
Join date : 2014-08-27
Location : France

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Lioned on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:19 pm

I am afraid my glass still remains completely empty for Andy Redwoods efforts,i would be delighted to be proven wrong though.
Surely he is due to retire soon,that was the word earlier this year ?

Maybe he'll go out with a bang !

avatar
Lioned

Posts : 567
Join date : 2014-09-02
Age : 102
Location : Top of the Hill

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:30 pm

I doubt the Tapas 9 are among these interviewees.  If it was me, I'd be interviewing the Tapas staff who claimed that Gerry was missing from the table during the half an hour before the alert.  If what they say is true, then Gerry doesn't have an alibi, and Gerry + others lied to the police. But according to the other forum, that's just a squirrel that isn't of any importance.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:53 pm

Lioned wrote:I am afraid my glass still remains completely empty for Andy Redwoods efforts,i would be delighted to be proven wrong though.
Surely he is due to retire soon,that was the word earlier this year ?

Maybe he'll go out with a bang !


Maybe it wasn't envisaged that the case would be so complicated until SY were brought up to speed by the PJ and their eyes were opened to the fact that it wasn't a straight forward "abduction".

It would be a huge feather in Andy Redwood's cap if he solved the case (truthfully) with his colleagues alongside the PJ who did all the hard work in the beginning even if he has to put his retirement on hold.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re:Maddie Case 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation-Joana Morais blogspot

Post  costello on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:07 pm

@wlbts
I agree. I believe the Tapas staff are of paramount importance with regards to Gerry McCann's movements on the night of 3rd May. I also think the P.J. already have the relevant statements. Just my thoughts.
avatar
costello

Posts : 2397
Join date : 2014-08-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:50 pm

I've said before I believe that OG were/are working backwards outside in as it were,the remit was to treat it as if an abduction happened in the uk,they have obviously done that,and to my mind and come up with not an iota to find any evidence to support it,so once that is ruled out where does it leave them,right at the beginning.
If the McCanns maintain that as a defence then it had to be proven not to be the case,all IMO of course.

The PJ and Amaral with the release of the files and book may have hindered any chance of a fair trial so what I believe and hope is that Redwood and the PJ are building a case that can go to court with a successful conviction against whomever is responsible.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:17 pm

caricature wrote:I've said before I believe that OG were/are working backwards outside in as it were,the remit was to treat it as if an abduction happened in the uk,they have obviously done that,and to my mind and come up with not an iota to find any evidence to support it,so once that is ruled out where does it leave them,right at the beginning.
If the McCanns maintain that as a defence then it had to be proven not to be the case,all IMO of course.

The  PJ and Amaral with the release of the files and book may have hindered any chance of a fair trial so what I believe and hope is that Redwood and the PJ are building a case that  can go to court with a successful conviction against whomever is responsible.

I may be mistaken but I think in Portugal criminal trials are overseen by a Judge only (as in SA with the Pistorious trial) but a trial by jury can be requested.  If Joana Morais is reading this forum perhaps she could put me right on that.

Of course I'm assuming that any trial would take place in Portugal as that is where the crime took place.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:24 pm

There was one waiter who had to go into hiding apparently. i believe he is mentioned by Dr. amaral.

Then there is somewhere a youtube clip of a woman who worked at the OC complaining of virtual harassment by Kate.  
mrs. Hubbard (the Anglican priests' wife)  too, took it upon her to ask these witnesses for information on behalf of Kate.

Little hard to find on iPad as it takes so long, but I remember she was showing texts on her mobile.

On top of that nearly all the waiters give a much earlier time for the alarm than the official one in the Alvarez de Almeida report where the time of her return  to the Tapas is given as 10.10. She stated she left the table at 10.05.

Ha! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pvXZYB7ynqk

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:28 pm

Is this it Tigger.....




ETA.....Apologies, didnt spot your link. Will leave this here anyway, as its slightly different Smile


Last edited by ChillyHeat on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:30 pm

Tigger wrote:
On top of that nearly all the waiters give a much earlier time for the alarm than the official one in the Alvarez de Almeida report where the time of her return  to the Tapas is given as 10.10. She stated she left the table at 10.05.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there, that's not the case.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Tristar on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:32 pm

Express, 18th of December 2007:

THE key witness in the missing Madeleine McCann case was in hiding last night after fleeing Portugal.

Police have sworn the waiter to secrecy over his vital testimony and know where he is. But friends say he is terrified his identity is about to be revealed and that he will come under pressure from rival factions in the case. He is scared of British and Portuguese government influence in the probe. Friends claim he is also wary of the team of private eyes hired by Kate and Gerry McCann to help find their daughter.


The mother of expat British estate agent Robert Murat ' the only other suspect in the case ' has accused investigators of bribing witnesses into changing their stories. The tapas bar waiter ' described by police as their 'trump card' ' has given what detectives believe is the most reliable account of what happened the night the four-year-old vanished. They have questioned him three times, most recently last week. Officers say his story can prove Madeleine's parents are lying over her disappearance.
avatar
Tristar

Posts : 302
Join date : 2014-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:01 pm

Tristar wrote:Express, 18th of December 2007:

THE key witness in the missing Madeleine McCann case was in hiding last night after fleeing Portugal.

Police have sworn the waiter to secrecy over his vital testimony and know where he is. But friends say he is terrified his identity is about to be revealed and that he will come under pressure from rival factions in the case. He is scared of British and Portuguese government influence in the probe. Friends claim he is also wary of the team of private eyes hired by Kate and Gerry McCann to help find their daughter.


The mother of expat British estate agent Robert Murat ' the only other suspect in the case ' has accused investigators of bribing witnesses into changing their stories. The tapas bar waiter ' described by police as their 'trump card' ' has given what detectives believe is the most reliable account of what happened the night the four-year-old vanished. They have questioned him three times, most recently last week. Officers say his story can prove Madeleine's parents are lying over her disappearance.

That could be Batista, who said:

The second to leave (about 40/45 years of age, having the physical characteristics of the first, but having less bulky hair) did so for about 30 minutes, and that shortly after he returned, all left the table, except for an elderly person, who told him that a child had disappeared, the daughter of a member of the group, due to which he thought that the second person to leave could have been the father of the child;

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Wed 05 Nov 2014, 6:44 am

This video is an interview with the cook who says that Kate gave the alarm at 9.30!

Always nice to have one's theories confirmed. The cook would have told the PJ...


http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bOidpDzY-Js

How do you do that video trick, Chillyheat? Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Wed 05 Nov 2014, 9:00 am

Tigger wrote:This video is an interview with the cook who says that Kate gave the alarm at 9.30!

Always nice to have one's theories confirmed.  The cook would have told the PJ...


http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bOidpDzY-Js

How do you do that video trick, Chillyheat?  Very Happy

Then why did she tell the PJ on the 6th May 2007 that she wasn't at work in the Tapas on the evening of the 3rd?

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARIA_JOSE.htm

Upon questioning, the witness confirms that on the day of the disappearance, she worked at the restaurant from 10h00 to 18h45, when, having finished her shift, she went home, where she remained with her 13 year old son until approximately 10h00 the following day (4th May).

On 4th May 2007, due to the fact that she had a medical appointment at the Lagos Health Centre followed by an appointment at the Portimao Court at 15h00, she only began work at 18h30 (dinner service, which lasts until 24h00).

With relation to the facts being investigated, she only knows what she heard from the media or from conversations with her colleagues.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Wed 05 Nov 2014, 9:29 am

wlbts wrote:
Tigger wrote:This video is an interview with the cook who says that Kate gave the alarm at 9.30!

Always nice to have one's theories confirmed.  The cook would have told the PJ...


http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bOidpDzY-Js

How do you do that video trick, Chillyheat?  Very Happy

Then why did she tell the PJ on the 6th May 2007 that she wasn't at work in the Tapas on the evening of the 3rd?

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARIA_JOSE.htm

Upon questioning, the witness confirms that on the day of the disappearance, she worked at the restaurant from 10h00 to 18h45, when, having finished her shift, she went home, where she remained with her 13 year old son until approximately 10h00 the following day (4th May).

On 4th May 2007, due to the fact that she had a medical appointment at the Lagos Health Centre followed by an appointment at the Portimao Court at 15h00, she only began work at 18h30 (dinner service, which lasts until 24h00).

With relation to the facts being investigated, she only knows what she heard from the media or from conversations with her colleagues.

That's interesting, obviously her testimony in the video is quite different. it does say in the video that she decided to talk after her contract was not renewed.
For me, that confirms that MW instructed the witnesses whose initial testimony did not agree with the official times and events to either change their statements(Tierney, Baker) or simply give no statement.

Her time is backed up by that of several waiters and even staff at the reception who give earlier times. i'll see if I can find it.

It would make sense if JTs sighting was set for 9.15 that the alarm would be at 9.30.

I think we're on to something?


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  CynicAl on Wed 05 Nov 2014, 10:53 am

IMO - and with respect to Grange - the T9 will never be interviewed.

Not because of protection or a whitewash, but because the only sane way to investigate, review or reinvestigate is to work backwards, play cards close to chest, force your target to feign cooperation and 'friendly terms' in order to maintain pressure and because you know they cannot afford to be seen as estranged, and rule everything else out. Every possible defence. Find every confirmable contradiction. Force every possible error. The T9 have spoken. Now make a case by using their own words to hang them. IMO key individuals were publicly offered their get out of jail free moments. Only Grange knows who among them went for a nibble on the bait.
avatar
CynicAl

Posts : 83
Join date : 2014-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Andrew on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:03 pm

Another from Joana...

Need to click on the link if you want to watch the videos included.

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2014/11/mrbrown-comes-to-town.html


Mr. Brown comes to Town
6 NOVEMBER 2014 | POSTED BY BEN THOMPSON LEAVE A COMMENT


Mr.Brown comes to town

Much has been said about the influence Gordon Brown had upon the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine Mccann. Certainly the political intervention in this case was something the like of which had never been seen before.

In her diary, Kate McCann wrote:

“Wednesday, MAY 23: Gordon Brown (then Chancellor and PM in waiting) called and spoke with Gerry - very kind and giving encouragement.
Feeling a bit emotional afterwards.”

On the 27th May 2007, and with the original source being the Guardian, Brendan de Beer wrote:

Gordon Brown has personally intervened in the search for missing four-year-old Madeleine McCann after her parents became frustrated by the lack of progress in the police investigation.

After a series of telephone conversations with Madeleine's father, Gerry McCann, in recent days, the Chancellor requested assistance from the Foreign Office and the Home Office. He asked that pressure be brought to bear on the Portuguese authorities to allow more information about the inquiry to be made public.

Gerry and his wife, Kate, have been desperate for a description of a man seen carrying what appears to have been a child on 3 May to be made public, but Portuguese police refused for three weeks because of the country's laws, which forbid the details of an investigation being released.

The Observer understands that Brown gave the McCanns an assurance he would do “anything he can” to help. The British embassy duly applied pressure on the Portuguese authorities to find more flexibility in their secrecy laws. British ambassador John Buck visited the Algarve last Thursday. A day later Portuguese police made a U-turn and issued a detailed description of the man, said to be white, 35 to 40, 5ft 10in and of medium build, with hair longer around the neck, wearing a dark jacket, light beige trousers and dark shoes.

Asked whether Brown had influenced the decision, Clarence Mitchell, a Foreign Office spokesman for the McCann family in the Algarve, said: “Draw your own conclusions.” He said in a statement: “I can confirm that telephone conversations have taken place between Gerry McCann and Chancellor Gordon Brown. During them, Mr Brown offered both Gerry and Kate his full support in their efforts to find Madeleine, although details of the conversations will remain private.”

This e-fit was of course the man Jane Tanner saw, that sighting eventually amounted to nothing. I find it very strange the McCanns didn't push the Smith sighting with such vigour, but then from all of Tanners many descriptions, none looked like Gerry.

Clarence Mitchell of course denied that any political pressure was being applied on the investigation. In an interview with the very likeable Sandra Felgueiras, Mitchell was adamant that no political interference was taking place.



A rather odd comment to make considering it was Mitchell himself who was sent by the British Foreign office, and who was directly accused of hindering the police investigation. Carlos Anjos, head of the Portuguese Judiciary Police union said of Mitchell:

“Mr Mitchell wants to discredit the Polícia Judiciária and invent excuses so the McCanns do not come to Portugal to participate in the reconstruction of the night she disappeared.”

“He lies with as many teeth as he has in his mouth. Finally we know what side truth is on.”

As can be seen here, Clarence with his usual smugness, claims that it was him who was responsible for Gordon Brown contacting the McCanns:



Of course here we have a conundrum here, as Jill Renwick, a friend of the McCanns, and also one of the first people the couple phoned with the false tale of the “broken” shutters, claims that she asked John Brown, the brother of Gordon to ask the PM in waiting for his help:

“I stopped him (John Brown) in the street the day afterwards and said, 'These are my friends. Do you think you could speak to Gordon about it?' And he said of course. I don't know if anything came about that way.”
in Guardian, June 2, 2007

What was blatantly obvious though was that Gordon Brown was firmly on the side of the McCanns. He made the following statement that said as much:

“Every parent will be sympathising in their hour of need.”

Gonçalo Amaral had this to say about the political intervention:

“I don’t regret what I did, I did it with conviction, I did it to defend the investigation model, what a criminal investigation is supposed to be. Earlier, you spoke about the politically correct, the politically correct policeman. It is my understanding that criminal investigations cannot be politically correct, because they can’t be concerned with politics. And what happened, and continues to happen, is that we have to be politically correct, subordinate to the English power. That happens, it happened on the 2nd of October [of 2007] at the Lisbon Treaty, there were discussions between José Sócrates, then prime minister, and Gordon Brown, the English prime minister, who told the newspapers that he had asked the Portuguese prime minister about the [Maddie] case. So even before that it was already a political case. And when politics intrude into a criminal investigation, nothing will end well, whether the criminal investigation relates to a homicide, a burglary, a disappearance, or corruption.”
in Porto Canal interview, March 14, 2014

Relationships appeared to turn sour though, when in an article published by The Daily Mirror, dated February 20, 2010 it was reported that:

Kate and Gerry McCann yesterday accused the British Government of hampering the search for their missing daughter. They claim Portuguese cops have leads to Madeleine's disappearance but they have been unable to access them. The couple say despite meetings with Gordon Brown and top UK officials, the three-year investigation has stalled. And they claim red tape is blocking their own inquiries using private detectives. After their successful attempt to maintain a legal ban on publication of a book which claims Madeleine is dead, Gerry, 41, called for a complete review of the case. He said: “There are certainly instances where information we think is very credible and worthy of further investigation has not been actioned.”

It seems Kate and Gerry like to live their lives through the press when it suits, and if you dare not to be bending over backwards for them, they'll let the world know in an attempt to gain yet more sympathy.
avatar
Andrew

Posts : 13087
Join date : 2014-08-29

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum