Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:31 pm

wlbts wrote:
Tigger wrote:
On top of that nearly all the waiters give a much earlier time for the alarm than the official one in the Alvarez de Almeida report where the time of her return  to the Tapas is given as 10.10. She stated she left the table at 10.05.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there, that's not the case.

Those times are derived from the report of Alvarez de Almeida.

and: (I will post the original list of 'early witnesses' in the reference section)

21.20  chef AEGFP Tapas hears ‘clamour’ .

21.40 he leaves  Tapas restaurant - where until moments before he’d seen the table occupied now empty.

21.30 to 21.40. BJJW hears from Dutch owner of Atlantico restaurant.
He then went to 5a (presumably) at 21.45 - 21.50 .

21.45.Waiter RAEDLO saw no one at the tapas table.  
Fitness instructor/waiter JRS  between 21.30 and 22.00 spoke to DW  who was alone at the table.

Last edited by Tigger on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Maddie Case: 10 witnesses to be questioned within the scope of the English investigation - Joana Morais blogspot

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:32 pm

This is an unreferenced clip which I got from JD a couple of years back.

I'll try and find the source, I expect it's press.

The key witness in the case is reported to have gone into hiding after fleeing Portugal. Police have sworn the waiter to secrecy over his vital testimony and know where he is. But friends say he is terrified his identity is about to be revealed and that he will come under pressure from rival factions in the case. He is scared of British and Portuguese government influence in the probe. Friends claim he is also wary of the team of private eyes hired by Kate and Gerry McCann to help find their daughter.

The tapas bar waiter – described by police as their “trump card” – has given what detectives believe is the most reliable account of what happened the night the four-year-old vanished. They have questioned him three times, most recently last week. Officers say his story can prove Madeleine’s parents are lying over her disappearance. Many of the 100 questions officers want to ask the McCanns and their holiday friends – the so-called Tapas Nine – are thought to be based on his information.

But, according to former colleagues at the Ocean Club resort in Praia da Luz, the knowledge he is playing such a vital role in the case that has gripped the world has horrified him. One said: "He does not want to be involved in any of this. He was just a restaurant worker. His only problem was remembering food orders. He’s terrified."...any idea who this is?

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyB on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Tigger wrote:This is an unreferenced clip which I got from JD a couple of years back.

The key witness in the case is reported to have gone into hiding after fleeing Portugal. Police have sworn the waiter to secrecy over his vital testimony and know where he is. But friends say he is terrified his identity is about to be revealed and that he will come under pressure from rival factions in the case. He is scared of British and Portuguese government influence in the probe. Friends claim he is also wary of the team of private eyes hired by Kate and Gerry McCann to help find their daughter.

The tapas bar waiter – described by police as their “trump card” – has given what detectives believe is the most reliable account of what happened the night the four-year-old vanished. They have questioned him three times, most recently last week. Officers say his story can prove Madeleine’s parents are lying over her disappearance. Many of the 100 questions officers want to ask the McCanns and their holiday friends – the so-called Tapas Nine – are thought to be based on his information.

But, according to former colleagues at the Ocean Club resort in Praia da Luz, the knowledge he is playing such a vital role in the case that has gripped the world has horrified him. One said: "He does not want to be involved in any of this. He was just a restaurant worker. His only problem was remembering food orders. He’s terrified."...any idea who this is?
According to this the source is an article by David Pilditch in the Daily Express on 18/12/2007
AndyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:51 pm

Thank you! Thank you!  I hate posting unreferenced information but this is interesting and I think it was mentioned by Dr. Amaral  as well. flower

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppy on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:21 pm

AndyB wrote:
Tigger wrote:This is an unreferenced clip which I got from JD a couple of years back.

According to this the source is an article by David Pilditch in the Daily Express on 18/12/2007

This statement,IMO has a bit of a pink spin,trump card,gripped the world,vital role,rival factions? Imo he knows quite a lot to say he was only taking food orders. confused
Poppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:33 am

@ Poppy. Why would you think there
A) is any spin
B) it is pink which I take to be a reference to Clarence.

This report doesn't help TM one bit, we have known for a long time that their detectives did harass witnesses so I can't find anything in the above story which reveals it as 'a bit of pink spin'. So this is the Express writing in December, they don't know any other way to write.. Very Happy

I'm pretty sure I have seen this mentioned in other reports and he is not the only waiter who saw the table empty well before 10.00 pm and their statements are recorded. So this one saw more than just an empty table perhaps.

By December 2007 there were a lot of leaks to the press. E.g. The barn, the bag of clothes found to contain women's clothes and child's colouring pencils, the two Tapas who wanted to change their statements..

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:25 am

Hi Tigger, this is the rest of the artical

But the waiter is understood to have told police Kate raised the alarm from the apartment balcony 75 yards away, screaming: 'They've taken her. They've taken her.' Detectives want to know why she assumed so quickly her daughter had been abducted ' and not simply wandered off to look for her parents. Police value the waiter's account because they cannot understand why ' if Kate thought Madeleine had been snatched while unattended ' she would then leave her twins Sean and Amelie in the apartment to run back to the tapas bar.

http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/press/9dec7/EXPRESS_18_12_07.htm

Don't know who he is, his statement must be in the undisclosed files.
Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:50 am

To save more quotes, that's interesting but makes no sense in view of the first part of the article.
It exonerates Kate from leaving the twins (75 yards is a new one as it isn't 49.5 meters.. Very Happy ) .

So Poppy may be right that it is pink spin with this addition.

Either that or the first part of the article is true and this last bit is pink spin from our Clarence. Which is the most likely scenario imo.

Mrs. Fenn heard nothing much till well after ten - had Kate been screaming from the balcony there were a host of other people who'd have testified to hearing this. So no need for the waiter to go into hiding.

Poppy, I take it all back, you must have read the whole article and come to the right conclusion.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Tigger wrote:
Fitness instructor/waiter JRS  between 21.30 and 22.00 spoke to DW  who was alone at the table.

That was the time-frame he gave in his rogatory interview nearly a year after the event. In his original statement to the PJ (6th May 2007) he gave the time-frame 22.00 - 22.30. I think his recollection of 2 days previous is more reliable than the one a year later.

He also said in his rogatory 'I believe that this was between 21H30 and 22H00 but do not remember with certainty.'

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:35 pm

wlbts wrote:
Tigger wrote:

That was the time-frame he gave in his rogatory interview nearly a year after the event.  In his original statement to the PJ (6th May 2007) he gave the time-frame 22.00 - 22.30.  I think his recollection of 2 days previous is more reliable than the one a year later.

He also said in his rogatory 'I believe that this was between 21H30 and 22H00 but do not remember with certainty.'

Yes, but there are the other early reports of an empty table as well. In any case, Dianne Webster was sent back to the bar to look after their things by Fiona after having gone to 5a with the group. So that would be more likely to be around ten or after. But the chef and the cook above speak of an empty table rather earlier.
Besides, the recollection in the rog is not helpful to the official timeline. One would have expected the situation the other way round as many of the rogs appear to have changed in favour of the official timeline.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:50 am

Tigger wrote:
Yes, but there are the other early reports of an empty table as well. In any case, Dianne Webster was sent back to the bar to look after their things by Fiona after having gone to 5a with the group. So that would be more likely to be around ten or after. But the chef and the cook above speak of an empty table rather earlier.
Besides, the recollection in the rog is not helpful to the official timeline. One would have expected  the situation the other way round as many of the rogs appear to have changed in favour of the official timeline.

Not many, and people make mistakes.  The recollection in the rogatory interview is of a man trying to remember the events of an evening nearly a year before.  When the events were fresh in his memory he gave the time-frame of 22.00 - 22.30.

An example of a mistake is the receptionist who claimed to have phoned the GNR at about 10pm.  The phone records show the times of the calls to have been 10.41 and 10.52.  People make mistakes.

Which of the staff gave times in their original statements to the PJ, only days after the event?

Salcedas - table empty except for DW between 22.00 - 22.30.
Baptista - informed while in kitchen that people gone from table, time-frame of 22.00 - 22.30
Oliveira - everyone gone from table at some point after 21.45, but define 'a few minutes' and he only gave that time as the time that dinner usually finished.

The cook Manuela was not on duty that evening according to her statement, and in that television interview she only related events as if through a third party - or in other words, hearsay.  She doesn't say anything that implies personal experience of the events in question.  She could have made the claim that she was on duty to the TV people simply to be on TV, or the TV people just misunderstood her, or the TV people deliberately misled to give the report credence.  The alternative is to assume a grand conspiracy for which there isn't any evidence.

If Manuela had been instructed to claim that she wasn't on duty to the police, and then later claimed that she was on duty on TV, why did she not tell the press that she had been instructed to lie to the police?

An early alarm of 9.30-ish doesn't fit in with their original statements at all.  I'd give Oliveria's statement of 'a few minutes after 21.45' more credence if the other statements pointed that way, but they don't.  He gave that time as the time dinner usually finished, and 'a few minutes later' could mean 9.47pm or it could mean 10.05pm.  He said merely that 'Dinner would end at about 21.45', which could mean that 21.45 was the usual time for dinner to finish, and obviously it wouldn't be bang on 21.45 every day.

Also, there was the woman who drove past 5A at 9.58pm, and said that all was quiet.

And to add a bit of subjective opinion, if I were one of the Tapas group I wouldn't claim that the alert was some time after 10pm if in fact it had been at least half an hour before, because statements from the staff and other diners could easily have shown that to be a lie.  As it is the only staff member at the Tapas who gave an earlier time was the 'executive chef'.  The rest gave later times that corroborate the time of the alert as claimed by the Tapas 9.  However, they don't corroborate their accounts of the various checks, and two of them state that Gerry was missing from the table for 30 minutes before the alarm was raised, a period of time which would include the Smith sighting if the official alert time is correct.

And let's speculate some more on that.  If I were covering something up, I would give an accurate account of events except where I simply couldn't.  Gerry being gone from the table for the 30 minutes before the alarm clearly couldn't be mentioned, but the staff might have said that he did leave the table - and in fact two of the staff said exactly that - so I'd say that another member of the Tapas group went instead.  Somebody male of course, maybe Matthew Oldfield?  That would cover it - we could say that the staff got the people mixed up, and it was Oldfield who left the table, not Gerry!  But we need to fit in a McCann check at this time, so let's have Oldfield demand that he goes to check instead of Kate!  However, while the Tapas claimed that O'Brien and Oldfield left at the same table, the staff recollected that O'Brien went by himself.

All the other statements give a clear picture of momentum building up during the period 10.20pm - 10.30pm, when the official procedures for missing children were put in place by Lindsay Johnson.  She also phoned John Hill at 10.28pm.  Mrs Fenn starting hearing the commotion just before 10.30pm.  Many people outside of the vicinity of the Ocean Club gave a time of around 10.30pm for when they first heard what had happened.

If I wanted to clear all this up, I'd start by looking at telephone records to see whether they correspond with claimed times, see my comment about the receptionist.  The first thing that I recall Operation Grange talking about to the media was the analysis of telephone records. I'd put my life savings on Operation Grange having a far clearer picture of timings that evening than we do.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:55 am

Oliveria's first statement:

'Dinner would end at about 21.45, a few minutes later the witness looked at the table and saw that there was nobody there and one of his colleagues told them that all the guests had left the table in a hurry. In any case, he remembers having heard shouts from the direction of Madeleine's parents' apartment.'

So if the shouts from 5A occurred just after Oliveira heard the guests had all left the table, what time did he hear the shouts?

When did Mrs Fenn hear shouts?

His statement of 7th September goes into more detail:

'He served Russell and shortly thereafter, he was alerted to strange movements in the restaurant perimeters. He refers to the movements of two men from said group? David Payne and Matthew, who appeared to be searching the gardens the areas near the bar. The witness went to the esplanade zone and saw that the table that had previously been occupied by nine adults was now occupied only by the older woman, called Dianne Webster. It was also at this time that he saw that Russell's food was only half eaten and that the others had all finished their dinner.
David Payne and Matthew were nervously searching the area.

The witness went to them, he does not remember which one, and asked what was happening. One of them responded to the witness in English stating 'A GIRL IS MISSING?' that a child had gone missing. After a few moments, around 5 or 10 minutes, he heard screaming from the apartment zone and saw a woman on the balcony of 5 A. He did not understand what she was saying. As it was night, and given the distance from the Tapas bar to the apartment, he was not able to determine if there was someone else next to the woman on the balcony. At that moment his colleague, Joe, met up with him and asked the witness to call the police, and that a child has gone missing and could not be found. Immediately afterwards, Joe left toward the street. He does not know who gave this information to Joe but the witness (or his colleague who believes the witness did so) called the reception asking them to inform the police. '

Again, what time did Mrs Fenn hear screaming from 5A?  This was roughly 5 to 10 minutes after Oliveira discovered that Madeleine was missing.

I have no doubt that Oliveira is the important witness mentioned in the article previously linked.

Any my opinion - although I dislike speculation generally - is that the screaming was prompted by Gerry having a quiet word in Kate's ear.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/RICARDO-A-D-L-OLIVEIRA.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:12 pm

I've just posted the rather long timeline in the reference section:

Here are some thoughts:

Also it states in here that 'Gerry mentioned that when he noticed that Madeleine was missing the shutters were open.........' I thought KM found her missing?

One of the restaurant staff mentions that the table was occupied by 3 couples and that they had suddenly left - I thought it was 4 couples + 1. Where was the other couple that night?

Gerry requests the services of dogs that very first night - thought he didn't think that dogs were reliable!!

These are the FIRST statements made by witnesses and people who were there that night on the actual night Madeleine went missing, in my mind they are the best statements as everything is fresh in their minds, they haven't slept and dreamed of other things they haven't had time to go away and think about it and change it and so on.

It all still points to activity rather earlier than 10.00 pm imo. But not necessarily noisy at 5a until about 10.30 apparently as there is one witness who has an exact time when passing the apartment around 10.00 and found it quiet.

Back to top Go down

Post  travis macbickle on Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:25 pm

No noise from 5a until 10.30pm is a big red flag for me Tigger.
If GM is Smithman(and I believe he is)where had he come from?
travis macbickle

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:35 pm

I found those beige trews thrown on the bed pretty convincing. Just as well he did, because I'm sure that the PJ asked around what clothes Gerry was wearing earlier that evening.

Have a look at the long list of witnesses, obviously some - as wlbts says - mistaken in the time, but on the whole, I see about 90 minutes plus of total chaos, something going wrong earlier than anticipated. I still think the alarm should have been earlier, but the Smiths messed it up and Gerry decided to use Wilkins as an alibi. Rock solid... 'I'll post an old topic of mine below'.

To be pulled apart as you like , still I thought it had some merit Very Happy

Back to top Go down

original plan?

Post  Guest on Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Original plan:

Obvious and frequent checks by members of group all evening.
Gerry checks at  9.05 - will pick up live child to be seen in PdL . He is wearing beige trousers with buttons and a dark (possibly fleece as it was cold) top.
JT will report seeing a man walking away with what could be a child around 9.15.
The two abductor sightings will be connected, one by a friend, one by a total stranger.

The timeline is clear right up to around 9.30 when perhaps Kate is due to check and discover child missing.
Gerry will then move the shutters to an open position as it is too risky to do this earlier because of the noise and possibly Mrs. Fenn.

So far the story is simple, we have two sightings, proof of checking and alibis for being elsewhere when the abductor is seen.
We have shutters which can be lifted from outside and this proves abduction. Plus the props of cuddlecat and the non existent ledge (this ledge I believe is present in another apartment and has led me to believe that the story, the jemmied shutters and the wide open front door, the ledge and cuddlecat  were already in possession of the people who were in charge of informing the media. Philomena in particular has come out with perfect Gerry quotes which imo may have been sent by post or email - but it’s a minor point).

So there’s no need for a timeline to be written down at this stage, but start improvising and you’re in deep trouble.

At about 8.55 -9.00 Gerry meets JW who literally blocks his way. We can forget JT, who can’t have been there, but her sighting stands of course. This part isn’t changed.
JW will have to be persuaded that the time was 9.15, same as the sighting.

So a last minute factoring in of JW -  a second independent witness - may have seemed a godsend.
However - for some reason the child which is to be carried through PdL isn’t immediately available (this may be the reason for the early alarms for which there are witness statements). JT was spotted standing outside for some time.

Gerry may have had to go back inside to change into the beige trousers - the ‘uniform’ described by JT and the Smiths. Then find the girl and go for his walk which cannot have started much before 9.45. He is aghast to be surrounded by 9 Irish people who take the trouble to talk to him, instead of the far more likely one or two tourists coming out of one of the many bars in that area.

He delivers the child back and  changes into jeans I believe (the beige trousers are thrown on the bed as seen in the first photographs). Meanwhile Kate raised the alarm and Gerry tries and fails to open the shutters. Clearly too early to call the police, the T7 are milling around doing little in the way of searching.
Because now we have a gap of one hour during which some checking should have been done. MO is used to fill this gap and his testimony points clearly to a fabricated story. He pretty well got everything wrong and probably had never been in 5a.

So now there is a need to get things down on paper. Twice.
Fairly soon afterwards DP had an improved timeline typed out on A4 sheets and each member of the group was given a copy. They were surprised when the PJ refused to let them take it to their interviews.
This alone shows a mixture of arrogance and naivity which is hard to understand - but in The Cracked Mirror (McCannfiles.com) the ‘institutionalisation’ of the NHS environment explains this very well imo.

So what had gone wrong by the time Gerry phoned (his mother in law before his own family and before that, his best contact in government).

The original time line was thrown out by half an hour.
The walk into PdL was delayed and didn’t match with the 9.15 eggman.
He’d been seen by a wide awake and observant family.
The shutters got stuck and wouldn’t lift.
They’d been heard calling for Madeleine or Madelene too early.
The possible masonic kneeling and ‘roaring like a bull’ (I’m convinced it’s some weird cry of help for other masons) wasn’t understood by the GNR.
There had to be another mode of entry - so the police was told the key to the front door was gone.(I’ve forgotten this bit - I know they said it might have been stolen and copied but Amaral saw it lying on the kitchen table  - anyway there’s something crucial about the key).
The police didn’t immediately believe the abduction and were looking for a child that had wandered off.
The beige trousers were still on the bed when the police took the photographs (They’re gone in the ones a few hours later).

I think pretty well all of the above had already happened by the time Gerry told his relatives ‘It’s a disaster, it’s a disaster!’

disaster [dɪˈzɑːstə]

1. an occurrence that causes great distress or destruction
2. a thing, project, etc., that fails or has been ruined

Last edited by Tigger on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:53 pm

Tigger I agree with your thinking on all of this. I think I replied to that effect on another thread but you have filled in a couple of gaps I had that I couldn`t quite get to gel namely the JW part and the clothing change.
I too think it was a pre-planned fake abduction that went wrong but too many things were primed to go to change their script too much. Last minute hitch in plan B was JW who skewed the timing.
He had to be assisted to get his statement to fit the new timeline and if he is innocent he wouldn`t have been clock watching so could have been carefully influenced. JT was never there
of course and now I am thinking Sagres man was in the mix but possibly as the one who would be cited when MBM went missing in plan A. There are way too many similarities in the 2 descriptions to be mere coincidence, ie not looking like a tourist, shoes of a classic style. I have always thought the abduction was really meant to take place in another place, maybe in daylight in a crowded place. No need for neglecting the kiddies therefore great sympathy for the parents.
I abhor the thought that they had a plan to extort money using their child who must have been expendable. How else would they get her back? Was it intended she would be missing for only a short while? Somehow I think not as she was of an age to talk about the experience and would be questioned by the police. That`s why I don`t understand not using a twin but then the twins are more loved I think.
The worst thing of all though is that whatever befell that poor child, the family still followed through with the extortion albeit with a different plotline. Despicable, odious ......... I won`t say it but I so want to.
chirpyinsect

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:01 pm

Bumping this thread as it is related to the new article re the mystery witness.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dee Coy on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:43 pm

This thread is fascinating. As well as the waiter it pretty much confirms there were two alarms, the earlier and later ones and indicates strongly that everything was fitted into the timeline retrospectively because of the Smith sighting. Tigger's theory is compelling.

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Dee Coy wrote:This thread is fascinating. As well as the waiter it pretty much confirms there were two alarms, the earlier and later ones and indicates strongly that everything was fitted into the timeline retrospectively because of the Smith sighting. Tigger's theory is compelling.

Just reading it myself, I wondered if Russell returned from his 9.30 check and privately told one of the other T7's that Madeleine wasn't there?
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Andrew wrote:
Justformaddiemccann wrote:Being optimistic brightens my day so...
GM tells police exactly where he was at 1:29 & 2:29, then a pic appears 3weeks later placing him at the pool, he obviously wasn't there so has lied to police (imo). Maybe some of these witnesses can place him somewhere else? Or not place him where the pic does?
Imo

Yes JFMM.

All coming together nicely.

Took a while - but these I's that needed dotting and T's that needed crossing are exactly what's being done.

The final stages now.

This is going to be explosive when it concludes.

Very soon as well in my optimistic opinion.

Will be getting Mr Redwood and the team a round of beers on me  Very Happy

Quoting my own post from 1986.

I'm sure I said the same thing the other day.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:19 pm

unreorganised wrote: [...]

Just reading it myself, I wondered if Russell returned from his 9.30 check and privately told one of the other T7's that Madeleine wasn't there?
Wasn't it Oldfield? The one who couldn't see Madelaine from where he was. Yet, the one, who saw the twins "breathing" in their cots. The one who mixed up the colour of the curtains and the shape of the tables? That one?
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Châtelaine wrote:
unreorganised wrote: [...]

Wasn't it Oldfield? The one who couldn't see Madelaine from where he was. Yet, the one, who saw the twins "breathing" in their cots. The one who mixed up the colour of the curtains and the shape of the tables? That one?

Apologies. You are correct. Same applies though.
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:30 pm

Andrew wrote:

I'm sure I said the same thing the other day.

unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:03 pm

Andrew

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top