NHS Cuts to Cancer Drugs Announced

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NHS Cuts to Cancer Drugs Announced

Post  bluebell on Mon 12 Jan 2015, 5:54 pm

I hope it's OK to put this here, link to follow.

I understand the NHS is in dire straits, but to me this is terrible news.

I believe we (UK) has a poor survival rate for cancer compared to other countries.

I realise that early diagnosis is the absolute key to cure, but the knowledge that possible life-extending drugs/treatments are no longer to be available from our 'health service' is abysmal news.

"They" speak of demand causing this overspend - what !!  -  I'm sure noone wants to be in the position that they absolutely need these drugs, it is not by choice that they are needed.

Do you think we expect too much from the NHS ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30787132

BBC

12 January 2015 Last updated at 17:17
Cuts to cancer treatments announced

Drugs
Twenty-five different cancer treatments will no longer be funded by the NHS in England, health chiefs have announced.

NHS England was forced to take the step after it emerged the £280m Cancer Drugs Fund was going to go £100m over budget in 2014-15.

It was created in 2010 for expensive drugs not routinely available.

Some drugs have been removed completely, while others are being restricted depending on what type and how advanced the cancer is.

Patients currently receiving the treatments will still be allowed to continue using them.

The restrictions come into effect from 12 March and affect a whole range of treatments for breast, pancreatic and bowel cancer.

The only route available to patients wanting the drugs will be to apply through the exceptional cases route.

But success in getting them via that is considered unlikely.

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS Cuts to Cancer Drugs Announced

Post  Antonia on Wed 14 Jan 2015, 4:39 pm

I'm wondering how many cancer drugs could have been purchased for the £10 million or so spent on the Madeleine 'review.'

Hasn't the 'review' been slightly scaled down - what is the approx annual cost now?
Antonia

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top