Historic Abuse Enquiry

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Historic Abuse Enquiry

Post  Cristobell on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 11:36 am

I recently did an interview with the Kent Messenger regarding the abuse I suffered in a Catholic Children's home in Kent. Herewith the article, it was a long interview, and Jamie picked up on things I might have preferred he hadn't, but what ho, I'm officially a tramp, lol.

Some people have already commented, not in a nice way, as they don't seem to realise that the beatings and the abuse within the convent walls, went much much further than what they experienced in the classroom. Ah well, ce la vie

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/i-was-victim-of-convent-30612

Incidentally, this is not the tabloid interview I did, which will I'm sure, incur far more wrath! pale

Back to top Go down

Re: Historic Abuse Enquiry

Post  Freedom on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 11:53 am

I'm sure that you're not the only ex-convent girl - or anyone escaping from other repressive upbringings - to run wild temporarily.

It seemed a good idea at the time is my defence!

May I ask Cristobell if your mother was around back then? Could you have talked to her?

Back to top Go down

Post  Cristobell on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 12:21 pm

Freedom wrote:I'm sure that you're not the only ex-convent girl - or anyone escaping from other repressive upbringings - to run wild temporarily.

It seemed a good idea at the time is my defence!

May I ask Cristobell if your mother was around back then? Could you have talked to her?

We lived within a culture of 'you don't grass' Freedom, looking back it seems so bizarre, but we kids stuck together like glue, meeting them all these years later was incredibly emotional, it was like being reunited with siblings. If we told Freedom, we would all suffer further - one does something wrong, and everyone get punished. We had nightly meetings to remind us of how we should be loyal to the nun the paedo Uncle and Don Bosco, the home we were in, above everything else. Even our parents became 'outsiders'.

My mother did find out when she arrived unexpectedly Freedom. I had a black eye, split lip and bruising on my face. A 'mad' Irish woman, she immediately grabbed the sadistic Uncle (as opposed to the paedo one) by the throat and laid into him! Unfortunately, this put the entire house in punishment for weeks and I was to blame because if I had not wound the Uncle up, I would not have received the injuries! You can see how screwed up the thinking was back then.

What bugs me is the way they concentrate on the sexual abuse. The physical abuse was just as bad and it occurred daily and it affected all of us. I'm not talking the cane, or the ruler or the other sicko devices the religious used to punish us, I am talking about deranged adults in religious, maniacal frenzies laying into small children with their fists, boots or whatever else they can lay their hands on. Is it reasonable for a grown woman to break a six year old child's arm because they won't eat their dinner?

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 12:28 pm

I didn't experience anything like this but I do know that I was afraid to report being humiliated or punished by a teacher because I was likely to be in trouble at home too. The attitude was that I must have done something to deserve it.

Even many years later I still found it very difficult to stand up to bullying supervisors because that attitude was so deeply ingrained.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top