Lord Janner to avoid sex abuse claims...CPS. Now updated: he has died

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lord Janner to avoid sex abuse claims...CPS. Now updated: he has died

Post  Bampots on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 6:39 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-32329924

Labour peer Lord Janner will not face child sex abuse charges because the severity of his dementia makes him unfit to stand trial, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has said.
The abuse allegations relate to residents in Leicestershire children's homes between 1970 and the 1980s.
Police condemned the CPS decision as "wrong", and the Labour Party has suspended the 86-year-old peer.
Lord Janner "is entirely innocent of any wrongdoing", his family has said.
A retired High Court judge will now review the CPS's handling of the case.

'Extremely disappointing'

More than a dozen individuals made allegations to police relating to Greville Janner, the CPS said.
The "core allegation" was that as MP for Leicester West at the time, Lord Janner befriended the manager of a children's care home to allow him access to children so he could "perpetrate serious sexual offences on children", the CPS said.
Leicestershire Police interviewed more than 2,000 people throughout the course of their investigation, and a "comprehensive file of evidence" was submitted to the CPS.  More on BBC site above.....or go cps.gov below

http://blog.cps.gov.uk/2015/04/the-decision-not-to-prosecute-lord-janner-statement-from-the-dpp.html
Bampots

Back to top Go down

Re: Lord Janner to avoid sex abuse claims...CPS. Now updated: he has died

Post  Guest on Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:30 am

Seems as if a bit of pressure is being brought to bear over this.

Lord Janner child abuse scandal: Now Theresa May turns heat on DPP over botched case

Alison Saunders position as the country's top prosecutor looks bleak
   She has faced criticism from Home Secretary, police chiefs and MPs
   Mrs Saunders said her job was to make legal decisions, not popular ones

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3045318/Lord-Janner-child-abuse-scandal-Theresa-turns-heat-DPP-botched-case.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Sat 23 May 2015, 11:54 am

Reminders of the Ernest Saunders case - nothing to do with child abuse of course - in respect of his recovery from Alzheimer's.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/elder/11554636/Forgive-my-cynicism-at-the-timely-onset-of-Lord-Janners-dementia.html

Back to top Go down

Janner update

Post  Rufus T on Tue 09 Jun 2015, 9:42 am

Police in Scotland are understood to be investigating claims Labour peer Lord Janner abused a boy there in the 1970s.
Det Ch Supt Lesley Boal said Police Scotland officers were investigating a historical complaint - but did not confirm a name.
Lord Janner was accused of abuse allegations during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s - but was deemed unfit to stand trial in England because of dementia.
The former MP has consistently denied all allegations against him.
BBC home affairs correspondent Tom Symonds said the allegation had first been made in 1991 by a Leicester man who told police that Greville Janner sexually abused him on a string of trips across the UK during the 1970s - including in Scotland.
Police in Leicestershire investigated allegations against the politician - who represented two constituencies in Leicester between 1970 and 1997 - in the 1990s but no charges were brought, he added.
Separate prosecutor
However Scottish police have reviewed files from the original claim relating to the alleged abuse in Scotland and are now carrying out their own investigation, our correspondent said.
"Because Scotland has a separate and independent prosecutor, it would be able to make its own decision about whether to charge Lord Janner," he added.
In a statement, the force said: "Police Scotland is conducting an investigation into an historic complaint and as such it would be inappropriate to comment.
"Police Scotland is absolutely committed to bringing perpetrators of abuse to justice regardless of the passage of time."
In April, the Director of Public Prosecutions in England and Wales, Alison Saunders, decided allegations against the peer by nine men were strong enough to merit a prosecution.
However, she said the prosecution should not go ahead because Lord Janner would to be unable to take part in his defence due to his poor health.
Last month, the Crown Prosecution Service, covering England and Wales, said it would review the decision. A senior prosecutor unconnected to the original case will carry out the review.
Justice Lowell Goddard - who is leading an independent inquiry into child sex abuse - has also said she will investigate claims against Lord Janner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33058969
Rufus T

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue 09 Jun 2015, 10:25 am

If he is unfit to stand trial due to his dementia, how come he is still fit enough to be sitting in the Lords and drawing money from the public purse?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun 28 Jun 2015, 9:49 pm

Looks as if a u-turn is about to happen.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/lord-janner-dpp-alison-saunders-was-wrong-not-to-bring-charges-against-peer-lawyer-rules-10351534.html

Accusations that Greville Janner, the former Labour MP, sexually abused a number of children are to be tested in court after an independent lawyer ruled the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) was wrong not to bring charges.

The Crown Prosecution Service is expected to announce the decision on Monday.

Despite evidence that the frail, 86-year-old politician committed “some of the most serious sexual crimes imaginable”, Alison Saunders, the DPP, chose not to bring criminal charges against him because of the “severity” of his dementia.

Failing to charge Lord Janner meant it was not possible to hold a “trial of the facts”. If a defendant is unfit to plead, the judge can still rule that the jury will hear the issues to decide what actually happened.

There have been calls for Ms Saunders to resign over her failure to give Lord Janner’s alleged victims their day in court and the overturning of her decision will increase the pressure on her to quit.

Liz Dux, a lawyer representing many alleged victims, told The Guardian website that “their faith in British justice is restored. It is a total vindication of why they challenged the original decision of the DPP. All they ever wanted was to give their evidence in a court and have findings of fact established.”

Lord Janner is alleged to have committed a string of sexual abuses dating back as far as the 1960s. Ms Saunders’s decision not to charge him was challenged by alleged victims in a legal process referred to as a right to review.
Read more: Janner allegations 'will be heard in court'
Police investigate Lord Janner over child sexual abuse claim
Lord Janner voted more than 200 times after diagnosis

This is believed to be one of the first times alleged victims have been able to overturn a DPP decision, clearing the way for a trial of the facts.

The trial will mean allegations against him, which have been the subject of three failed police investigations, will now be aired in open court, although the defendant is unlikely to be present.

In April this year, Ms Saunders said there was enough evidence to charge Lord Janner with 22 charges of child sex abuse between 1969 and 1988. However, she claimed it would not be in the public’s interest to charge him because he suffered from dementia and would neither understand the court proceedings nor be able to take part. Her decision overruled Eleanor Laws QC, an expert in child-abuse law, who had recommended Lord Janner be charged.

There was a rift between the DPP and Leicestershire Police force, which had spent two years investigating the allegations for the latest inquiry. The force threatened legal action against Ms Saunders, claiming that the failure to charge Lord Janner was “perverse”.

Yesterday, London Mayor Boris Johnson added his voice to the call for justice for the victims. In an interview for radio station LBC, he said: “I think it’s very important that nobody should be under any impression Greville Janner has had an easy ride from the CPS or has been in some way allowed to escape justice.

“It may be that Alison Saunders can think of some approach that would allow the facts of the case to be tested in some legal way without, as it were, putting Lord Janner on trial.”

Lord Janner’s family continue to insist that the peer is innocent of all allegations.

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 10:05 am

Breaking news on BBC  Janner to face charges. Yes!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 10:19 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33310095

Lord Janner is to be prosecuted over claims of historical sex abuse after a review overturned a CPS decision.

The Crown Prosecution Service announced in April that the 86-year-old would not be charged because of his severe form of dementia.

An independent QC has now recommended the decision be overruled.

Lord Janner, MP for Leicester West for 27 years, denies any wrongdoing and his family says the peer "is entirely innocent".

The decision follows a review of the case under the CPS Victim's Right to Review Scheme, which allows people to have their case looked at again no matter who in the CPS took the decision not to prosecute.

The review by David Perry QC concluded that it was in the public interest to bring proceedings before a criminal court.

It gives me hope that the McCann case will be brought to a close with prosecutions.

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 10:23 am

caricature wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33310095

Lord Janner is to be prosecuted over claims of historical sex abuse after a review overturned a CPS decision.

The Crown Prosecution Service announced in April that the 86-year-old would not be charged because of his severe form of dementia.

An independent QC has now recommended the decision be overruled.

Lord Janner, MP for Leicester West for 27 years, denies any wrongdoing and his family says the peer "is entirely innocent".

The decision follows a review of the case under the CPS Victim's Right to Review Scheme, which allows people to have their case looked at again no matter who in the CPS took the decision not to prosecute.

The review by David Perry QC concluded that it was in the public interest to bring proceedings before a criminal court.

It gives me hope that the McCann case will be brought to a close with prosecution's.
It is to be a trial of facts only but will give the victims a voice. Alison Saunders has damaged the DPP and her position will most likely come under scrutiny.
Wonder if his dementia will be exacerbated over the next while.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 10:27 am

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/latest_news/greville_janner_to_be_prosecuted_for_child_sexual_offences/

Greville Janner to be prosecuted for child sexual offences

29/06/2015

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Alison Saunders will now bring criminal proceedings against Greville Janner for child sex offences.

This follows a review of the case under the recently introduced CPS Victims' Right to Review scheme, which allows victims to have their cases looked at again, no matter who in the CPS made the original decision not to prosecute.

In the past year the scheme has meant that more than 200 prosecutions have been brought that would not have been brought otherwise.

In April this year the DPP decided that there was sufficient evidence to prosecute, meaning that, in her view, if there could be a full criminal trial a jury would be likely to convict Lord Janner. However, the DPP considered that it was not in the public interest to prosecute. This was because there was undisputed medical evidence that Greville Janner was not fit to stand trial which meant there could not be a full criminal trial and he could not therefore be found guilty of any offence and because he was not a danger to the public. It was also in light of the fact that the DPP sought assurances that the complainants would have the opportunity to give their account to the public inquiry led by Justice Goddard which has been set up to look at cases which may have been mis-handled in the past.

Without the compelling medical evidence the DPP has made clear that she would have brought a prosecution.

In May, six of the complainants in this case requested a formal Right to Review, and at the DPP's request, David Perry QC was instructed to provide advice to inform the CPS review of the decision.

The review concluded that it was in the public interest to bring proceedings before the court.

In reaching that conclusion, the review agreed that although there is sufficient evidence to prosecute, it is right to assume that Greville Janner will inevitably be found unfit to plead and therefore not fit to instruct his legal team and not fit to challenge or give evidence in a trial. Therefore the most likely outcome of a "trial of the facts" would be an absolute discharge, which is neither punishment nor conviction.

Alison Saunders said: "The Victims' Right to Review scheme has brought a much needed voice for victims of crime and this review shows that any decision can be reversed, no matter who has made it. It is a scheme I helped to bring in and it is a process I fully support and am not above. I requested a non-CPS lawyer to advise on this case so that the review would be seen as fully independent. That was the right thing to do, and was a decision I made in the interests of fairness and maintaining public confidence in the criminal justice system.

"I have always said that in my view this was an extremely difficult and borderline case because of the strong arguments on both sides. I have also always emphasised my concern for the complainants in this case. I understood their need to be heard, which is why I contacted Justice Goddard to ensure that they could give evidence as part of the public inquiry. However, the review has concluded that this forum, albeit a public one, cannot substitute for the adjudication of the courts. I accept the outcome of the review and will now be bringing this prosecution to allow for that adjudication to happen.

"The case is first listed at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 7 August 2015."

As there are now active criminal proceedings nothing should be said, commented on, or shared online which may prejudice those. It will be a matter for the court to consider if Greville Janner should appear or be excused on medical grounds from attending court.

The CPS has also received a draft of Sir Richard Henriques' report which the DPP commissioned on the handling and decision making in relation to previous allegations made against Greville Janner in 1991, 2002 and 2007. It is now being finalised, but it is clear that it will confirm the DPP's view that the CPS decisions in 1991 and 2007 were wrong as well as concluding that the handling of the case previously by both police and prosecutors was unsatisfactory.

The DPP, Alison Saunders, said: "It is a matter of real regret that prosecutions weren't brought by the police and CPS in the past.

"We have brought forward this decision as public speculation on this review has brought damaging and unacceptable uncertainty for the complainants in this case. We have now done what we can to inform the complainants of the outcome of the review and I have offered to meet each of them should they wish."

The DPP has demonstrated her personal commitment to tackling the sexual abuse of children - in 2014-15 the CPS brought more charges and delivered more convictions than ever before.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 12:13 pm

I watched the interview this morning with Alison Saunders and I noted she wasn't questioned by the interviewer about the fact that Janner was still attending the House of Lords and claiming his expenses when he was suffering from dementia.

If he was suffering from dementia and was too ill to go to trial how come he could still make decisions in the Lords and work out what his expenses were. I bet he didn't miss out anything he was owed.

I hope those facts are brought up at the inquiry.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 7:21 am

At least it's made it to court,we will have to wait and see the outcome. Fit to attended the Lords or fit to defend in court?.........

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/07/first-hearings-into-lord-janner-child-abuse-claims-due-to-take-place

UK news
First hearings into Lord Janner child abuse claims due to take place
A trial of the facts is to be held into 22 offences allegedly committed in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s

A first hearing in the case of Lord Janner over allegations of child sexual abuse are due to take place. 
An independent review overturned the original ruling of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Alison Saunders, that the former Labour peer should not be charged because he has Alzheimer’s.
A trial of the facts, in which a jury hears the evidence against an individual considered too ill for a full trial, is expected to be held into the 22 offences allegedly committed in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
The case is listed for a first hearing at Westminster magistrates court.
Saunders’ enforced U-turn, announced in June, led to calls for her to resign.
Simon Danczuk, the Labour MP for Rochdale who has campaigned for the case to be heard in court, said then that Saunders was responsible for a “catalogue of errors”.
He said: “I think she should resign for a number of reasons. She has made a number of bad judgments and she is just not fit to do the job.
“She made mistakes on a case around FGM [female genital mutilation], serious errors in her attempt to prosecute journalists and now another serious error regarding the Janner case.
“She ignored her advisers, took a long time to make the decision, then announced it when Parliament was not sitting although there was significant public interest.
“Most important of all, it was a serious mistake because she failed to understand both the mood of the public and the emotional distress she was causing to the alleged victims.
Advertisement
“We cannot have somebody leading the Crown Prosecution Service who is cold and dispassionate towards alleged victims.”
The 87-year-old peer’s family strongly denies claims he used his power as an MP for Leicester to abuse vulnerable young boys at a local children’s home.
A judge will have to decide if Janner is fit to plead. If he is not, a jury will be asked to decide whether he did the acts he is charged with. The judge will also have to rule on whether the defendant should appear during the trial or can be excused on medical grounds.
A trial of the facts is not considered a trial as such because the defendant cannot put forward a defence. There is therefore no guilty verdict and the court cannot pass sentence.
All it can do is make a hospital order, a supervision order, or an order for the defendant’s absolute discharge.
Saunders’ decision in April not to charge Janner was reviewed after six of the complainants made a request under a scheme introduced two years ago giving victims the right to challenge Crown Prosecution Service decisions.
She is the first DPP to have a major prosecuting decision reviewed and overturned through the new policy.
An independent inquiry into child sex abuse being led by Justice Lowell Goddard is also due to hear evidence from the complainants.
Saunders said in June: “I don’t think in any way it’s a resigning matter.
“It shows the process we have implemented works, it shows we will look at victims’ right to review and overturn decisions when we decide that’s the right thing to do.
“Certainly over the last 18 months there is nothing else there that says I should be resigning, so I won’t be.”

Alison Saunders .......butter wouldn't melt in her mouth eh!! No calls for her resignation from TPTB as far as she is concerned she done nothing wrong!

Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  Rufus T on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:52 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33923041

Lord Janner has failed to appear in court to face child sex abuse charges, despite the High Court ruling he must attend a hearing.
The 87-year-old, who has dementia, had been due at Westminster Magistrates' Court in relation to 22 charges spanning the 1960s to the 1980s.
Lord Janner's lawyer said he wanted him to appear via video link, but the judge said the issue must be resolved on Friday, even if it meant arresting him.
His family says he is innocent.
'Adverse reaction'
Lord Janner's lawyer, Paul Ozin, said a live link from the peer's home would be the option that was "least likely" to cause the peer to suffer.
Mr Ozin added: "There is evidence that moving him carries with it a risk of an adverse reaction to him, or other harm."
If it was not possible for the link to be done from his home, a live link could also be carried out from within the court building - which would be less intimidating than appearing in the dock - or from a police station, Mr Ozin said.
But prosecutor Louise Oakley said live links were only permitted for giving evidence from police stations when someone was in custody - which Lord Janner is not.
She suggested the peer could appear at Wood Green Crown Court instead, a court closer to his home.
Deputy chief magistrate, Emma Arbuthnot, said she had been in touch with the court and it would be possible for Lord Janner to use a back entrance to attend a hearing there.
The BBC's home affairs correspondent, Danny Shaw, described the situation as "quite extraordinary", adding that what was likely to be a very brief court appearance had turned into a "legal saga".
He said it was clear Lord Janner's lawyers wanted him to appear in "some form or another" and that they had "moved back" from their position of saying he was too ill to attend.
The case has been adjourned while the options are considered.
Rufus T

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:56 am

I have a recollection, but cannot remember where I read it, that the judge suggested he could be heard in his own house ... If IIRC why would his lawyer come up with the proposal of a video link?
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 1:27 pm

Châtelaine wrote:I have a recollection, but cannot remember where I read it, that the judge suggested he could be heard in his own house ... If IIRC why would his lawyer come up with the proposal of a video link?

I saw on the news at 1 p.m. that if Janner didn't appear in Court this afternoon the Judge would have him arrested as he had done enough "messing around" and he was running out of time.

Oh dear, it looks like he's pushed things and the Judge's tolerance too far.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 2:04 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1535829/lord-janner-in-court-to-face-child-sex-charges
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 2:21 pm

He got there in the end

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33931860

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Lord Janner appears in court for one minute

Post  Guest on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 10:58 pm

http://www.thenational.scot/news/lord-janner-appears-in-court-for-one-minute.6403?utm_medium=social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_term=Autofeed#link_time=1439622103

(As it might be behind a paywall I've copied it)

August 15th, 2015 - 12:28 am Janice Burns

LORD Greville Janner appeared in court for the first time over historical child sex abuse charges after his bid to give evidence via a videolink from his home failed.

The 87-year-old Labour peer, who has dementia, appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in a hearing lasting a minute.

Janner faces 22 charges spanning the 1960s to the 1980s and was told the case would be sent to the Crown Court.

When he failed to appear in court yesterday morning the judge warned he faced arrest if he did not appear by 2pm following repeated efforts by his lawyers to avoid him turning up.

Janner then appeared in a silver car and was escorted into the courtroom by a minder and woman believed to be his daughter.

However, his appearance, during which he confirmed his name, was brief, with the charges read out after he left and the full hearing taking less than 12 minutes.

Lawyers for the life peer and MP, who has Alzheimer’s, had earlier argued that being compelled to appear before Westminster Magistrates’ Court in relation to alleged offences against children would contravene the European Convention on Human Rights.

Representatives said such a move would cause Janner extreme distress, leading to a “catastrophic reaction”.

His legal team lost a High Court bid on Thursday to keep their client out of court and Janner was ordered to appear in person.

His barrister, Paul Ozin, was in court yesterday but Janner did not appear.

He had told deputy chief magistrate Emma Arbuthnot that Janner should be allowed to appear via a live videolink from his home due to the severity of his Alzheimer’s.

Ozin said his preferred option was for Janner to appear via videolink from his home, but prosecutor Louise Oakley said that would not be lawful and he must attend court in person. The judge agreed and said arrangements should be made for Janner to appear at the court at 2pm.

In an unusual outburst, Arbuthnot warned Ozin that she would have Janner arrested if the matter was not resolved quickly.

The magistrate said she was concerned that Ozin was engaging in a time-wasting exercise as he discussed the legal technicalities of suspects appearing in court via video link.

She said: “Even if I have to have him arrested I’m going to have it resolved today. I’m warning you that as time progresses I’m going to turn to the prosecution and say, ‘What’s your view?’ – I’m going to get an [arrest] warrant.”

It was Janner’s first appearance in court over allegations he molested nine boys between the early 1960s and late 1980s.

Scottish child abuse survivor groups were outraged that Janner “thought he was above the law” by attempting to avoid a court appearance for his alleged crimes.

Helen Holland, of In Care Abuse Survivors (INCAS), which represents nearly 400 victims of institutional abuse, described his bid to get out of a personal appearance as “disgusting”.

She said: “The law should apply to everybody no matter who they are. There is no reason why he should be given preferential treatment because he is high-profile. To be honest, I have watched it all along and every time you get his family protesting his innocence.

“The only person who can protest his innocence is him himself because the accusations of the acts are against him, not his family.

“I personally think the family should keep quiet about the allegations because it is damaging for the victims to hear. It is almost like they are saying this is my position in society therefore you don’t matter, you are a nobody as far as they are concerned. From a legal and a justice point of view it is absolutely the wrong message to send out to survivors.”

Andi Lavery, from the White Flowers Campaign, a support and advocacy group for survivors of child sex abuse, said Janner’s actions at trying to avoid going to court showed his “arrogance”.

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell on Sat 19 Dec 2015, 8:13 pm

Just seen in the news that Lord Janner has died.  Sorry no link.

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Sat 19 Dec 2015, 8:15 pm

You just beat me bluebell.

Lord Janner dies, aged 87, after long illness

Lord Janner, the former Labour peer and MP ruled unfit to stand trial on child sexual abuse charges, has died.
He had been suffering from dementia and died peacefully at his home on Saturday aged 87, his family said.
The peer had been accused of 22 counts of historical sex offences against boys - allegations his family denied.
A "trial of the facts" set for April will no longer take place. A lawyer representing alleged victims said they had been denied justice.
Liz Dux, who represents six alleged victims, said: "This is devastating news for my clients. They have waited so long to see this case come before the courts, to be denied justice at the final hurdle is deeply frustrating."

The Goddard inquiry, which is examining child sexual abuse claims, may now examine the allegations, the BBC's Tom Symonds said.
It had set aside the case while it was being dealt with in the courts.

'Trial of facts'

Lord Janner's family said he would be "deeply missed" and requested their mourning be respected.
They had previously said he was a man of "great integrity" and "entirely innocent of any wrongdoing".
Labour MP Simon Danczuk, who led calls for Lord Janner to face justice, said: "Obviously it is very sad for Lord Janner's family that he has passed away, though it is also extremely sad for his alleged victims."
He added: "It is disappointing that all the evidence is not now to be brought before a court.
"It is a very sad day for justice."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35142675

Analysis

Image copyright Getty Images
By Chris Mason, BBC political correspondent
Should a man with what was described as "advanced and disabling dementia" face a trial over allegations of child sexual abuse spanning four decades?
It is that question - and the conflicting answers offered to it - that places Lord Janner's death so prominently in the news.
A High Court judge, just weeks ago, said his answer was no: there was little point in hauling a man who could barely recognise his own family in front of a jury, to answer for his alleged behaviour a generation ago.
That was galling enough for his alleged victims.
But they sought solace in the so-called "trial of the facts" due to begin in the spring.
That will now not happen - leaving them devastated, and so many questions about Lord Janner's alleged behaviour permanently unaddressed.

The peer had been on a leave of absence from the House of Lords since October 2014.
He was accused of 15 counts of indecent assault and seven counts of a separate sexual offence against a total of nine alleged victims.
The Old Bailey heard the allegations spanned the years 1963 to 1998.
The judge who ruled that he was unfit to stand trial earlier this month said he made his decision based on four experts.
"The defendant has advanced and disabling dementia that has deteriorated and is irreversible," Justice Openshaw said at the time.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy on Sat 19 Dec 2015, 9:06 pm

At least he has the decency to die, rather than make a miraculous recovery.
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Sat 19 Dec 2015, 10:29 pm

Oh yes, I was thinking of Ernest Saunders recently, the person who made a miraculous recovery from Alzheimer's.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/elder/11554636/Forgive-my-cynicism-at-the-timely-onset-of-Lord-Janners-dementia.html

Here's an article from earlier this year which mentions him. He's still alive and kicking now.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 3:58 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/25/lord-janner-eleven-police-officers-and-staff-under-investigation/
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 4:03 pm

Andrew wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/25/lord-janner-eleven-police-officers-and-staff-under-investigation/

The same Leicestershire police involved with the McCann case?

Police watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission has told 11 individuals that they are under investigation for both alleged criminal offences and gross misconduct, as part of an inquiry into Leicestershire Police's handling of the claims.
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 4:10 pm

Heisenburg wrote:
Andrew wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/25/lord-janner-eleven-police-officers-and-staff-under-investigation/

The same Leicestershire police involved with the McCann case?

Police watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission has told 11 individuals that they are under investigation for both alleged criminal offences and gross misconduct, as part of an inquiry into Leicestershire Police's handling of the claims.

Yeah - the same Leicestershire Police that cocked up on the McCann case.

Was 'call me Stu' involved I wonder.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top