MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS - Goncalo loses libel/damages trial and must pay damages

+38
chris
Popcorn
PeterMac
Thetruth
AndyB
Curiouser
Poppy
mabossa ritchie
Inca
Chop Suey on Toast
Rufus T
poppyfox
Meteor
margaret
Scrants
anny
hesla
Dee Coy
dogs don't lie
Bampots
Antonia
bluebell
dantezebu
bellisa
Châtelaine
TheTruthWillOut
Burst
Poe
chirpyinsect
Mimi
Freedom
Cristobell
Admin
Mo
Andrew
chrissie
costello
candyfloss
42 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

BREAKING NEWS - Goncalo loses libel/damages trial and must pay damages - Page 4 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS - Goncalo loses libel/damages trial and must pay damages

Post  bluebell Tue 28 Apr 2015, 5:42 pm

costello wrote:It is now on the BBC news homepage, stating Goncalo Amaral has to pay £357.000 plus in excess of £70.000 interest.

Interest !! On what - on the McC's deliberately dragging out this trial !

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS - Goncalo loses libel/damages trial and must pay damages - Page 4 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS - Goncalo loses libel/damages trial and must pay damages

Post  candyfloss Tue 28 Apr 2015, 5:42 pm

candyfloss wrote:Home > Society > Former PJ inspector Gonçalo Amaral ordered to pay 500,000 euros to the McCann couple

[ltr]Ex-inspetor da PJ Gonçalo Amaral condenado a pagar 500 mil euros ao casal McCann[/ltr]

Former inspector Gonçalo Amaral PJ ordered to pay 500,000 euros to the McCann couple

http://expresso.sapo.pt/ex-inspetor-da-pj-goncalo-amaral-condenado-a-pagar-500-mil-euros-ao-casal-mccann=f922111#ixzz3Ycf7sUKk

I can't copy and paste the translation from above link.......

it is coming out with Portuguese mixed in. 

Zora@real_zm_ 16 mins16 minutes ago
Amaral legal team have not been informed of the court's reported decision #mccann http://m.expresso.sapo.pt/inicio/modal/destaques/artigo/922116 …

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Antonia Tue 28 Apr 2015, 5:48 pm

well if these reported awards are paid to the McCanns they will have the money to hire some decent detectives with relevant CVs............
Antonia
Antonia

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 28 Apr 2015, 5:48 pm

I've just pinched this post off the Justice Forum (not sure if I'm allowed to do that, Admin please delete if not allowed) -

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #1606 on: Today at 05:30:01 PM »http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/cm_ao_minuto/detalhe/ex_inspetor_da_pj_goncalo_amaral_condenado_a_pagar_500_mil_euros_ao_casal_mccann.html

The former inspector of the Judicial Police (PJ) Gonçalo Amaral was ordered to pay 500,000 euros to the parents of Madeleine McCann, for damage caused by the publication of a book entitled 'Maddie: The Truth of the Lie', said Tuesday the agency Lusa the lawyer of British couple.

The civil court sentenced Gonçalo Amaral "payable to each of the first [Kate McCann and McCann Gearald] the indemnity amount of 250 thousand euros plus default interest at the legal rate of interest civilians, since January 5, 2010, until full payment ". Interest for late payment, according to the lawyer of the McCanns, are located at the moment in 106,000 euros.In addition to this payment, the court also ordered the ban on the sale and new editions of the book, even prohibiting new editions of the DVD, as well as the sale of the book's copyright and DVD. This process creeps in court for more than five years, with successive postponements of trial sessions and an attempted extrajudicial settlement between the parties, which was never realized

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I particularly noted the sentence "Interest for late payment, according to the lawyer of the McCanns, are located at the momentn in 106,000euros."

Why is GA been asked to pay "late payment" interest when the case hadn't even been resolved or the Judge hasn't made a decision???

This all looks to me like a very nasty hoax, I hope I'm right in saying that.

ETA: the link doesn't work, as I suspect as there are letters missed out of several words on the link that it is a hoax.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots Tue 28 Apr 2015, 5:52 pm

Or they have sat or it! Only a thought
Bampots
Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Tue 28 Apr 2015, 5:54 pm

candyfloss wrote:
candyfloss wrote:Home > Society > Former PJ inspector Gonçalo Amaral ordered to pay 500,000 euros to the McCann couple

[ltr]Ex-inspetor da PJ Gonçalo Amaral condenado a pagar 500 mil euros ao casal McCann[/ltr]

Former inspector Gonçalo Amaral PJ ordered to pay 500,000 euros to the McCann couple

http://expresso.sapo.pt/ex-inspetor-da-pj-goncalo-amaral-condenado-a-pagar-500-mil-euros-ao-casal-mccann=f922111#ixzz3Ycf7sUKk

I can't copy and paste the translation from above link.......

it is coming out with Portuguese mixed in. 

Zora@real_zm_ 16 mins16 minutes ago
Amaral legal team have not been informed of the court's reported decision #mccann http://m.expresso.sapo.pt/inicio/modal/destaques/artigo/922116 …

Here is what I got

Court sentenced former inspector of the Judicial Police to pay half a million euros to the parents of Madeleine McCann . Lawyer Gonçalo Amaral ensures that knows nothing .

Read more : http://expresso.sapo.pt/caso-maddie-goncalo-amaral-diz-nao-ter-sido-notificado-da-decisao-do-tribunal=f922116#ixzz3YcZ0FrUs

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:00 pm

Sonia Poulton@SoniaPoulton 3 mins3 minutes ago
So Gonçalo Amaral's lawyers were not notified about a decision but Sky and BBC were....? Odd behaviour. #McCann

Isabelle McFadden@QUEENdePORTUGAL 3 mins3 minutes ago
ASTRO assures me VIA email, that as of 1 hour ago, Amaral has NOT received such verdict. #mccann Shameful!!! Lusa will hear from me.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:00 pm

If it is some sort of hoax, or even inaccurate reporting, it has been well played by the McCanns, because even if the truth is nowhere near this, the UK MSM have headlined the misleading article and as such put in peoples minds that the Mc's won...even if it turns out that Snr Amaral was in fact to pay them 50p, the lie, once again, will have overtaken the truth

And of course if this is true, then it is a sad day for justice, but I cannot reconcile the Judge's written findings with an award of this size..it all just seems really weird...Okay, just another weird thing this whole saga

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:02 pm

Lisbon court orders McCanns be paid €500,000 in damages by former PJ detective

by Brendan de Beer, in News · 28-04-2015 17:17:00 ·

A Lisbon Civil Court on Tuesday issued a ruling in which former PJ police detective Gonçalo Amaral is to pay the parents of missing British toddler Madeleine McCann a sum of 250,000 euros each plus a large sum in interest. Amaral can still challenge the decision with the Lisbon Appeal Court.
 BREAKING NEWS - Goncalo loses libel/damages trial and must pay damages - Page 4 AMARAL

Calculations provided by the McCanns' legal team currently place the total amount of interest at €106,246. This interest plus damages amount to just under half the €1.2 million requested by Kate and Gerry McCann at the start of legal proceedings more than five years ago.

The decision comes five days before what will be marking of the eighth year of Madeleine’s disappearance from the holiday apartment she had been staying in with her parents in Praia da Luz.

In its ruling, the court also prohibited the sale of the book written by Amaral with regards to Madeleine’s disappearance. In the book, Amaral ruled out the widespread belief that she had been abducted. Instead he argued that she had died in an accident in the apartment on 3 May 2007.

The book’s publisher has also been banned from releasing any new editions and has to hand over all unsold copies.

Isabel Duarte, the lawyer acting on behalf of the McCanns, opted not to comment on the decision.

In the 52-page document, seen by The Portugal News shortly after the ruling was released, repeated references are made to the fact that the date of the release of Amaral’s book (24 July 2008), took place only three days after the Portuguese Attorney-General’s office decided to shelve the case.

Isabel Duarte had argued that Amaral used privileged information in the book, with the court ruling that Amaral's freedom of expression was limited by his position as a former police detective and lead investigator in the case.

But the court also found  that it was not proven that the allegations made in the book “in any way contributed to the hindering of the course of the investigation into the disappearance of the minor Madeleine McCann.”

The court further rejected libel claims made by Kate and Gerry on behalf Madeleine and her twin siblings Sean and Amelie.

In comments to Portuguese newspaper Expresso on Tuesday evening, Miguel Cruz Rodrigues, legal counsel for Gonçalo Amaral, said he knew nothing of the court’s ruling.

“I have not yet been notified by the court”, he was quoted as saying, adding that he found it “very strange” that only one of the parties was aware of the verdict.

He opted not to comment further until he had seen the actual judgment.

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/lisbon-court-orders-mccanns-be-paid-500000-in-damages-by-former-pj-detective/34612

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:10 pm

So who was it who said the Portuguese courts do not pay out like the English courts?  Half a million seems like the sums paid out here in libel trials.  So was this a libel trial after all?  How does the book banning fit into this, how can the judge rule the no new editions can be sold, I am amazed at this Shocked

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:11 pm

If it were some sort of sick joke, a hoax, surely the McC's would have denied it by now? Seems to have been all over the news

and for such a vociferous, self-interested couple to stay quiet doesn't bode well on my hope of dreadful misreporting.

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTruthWillOut Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:13 pm

candyfloss wrote:So who was it who said the Portuguese courts do not pay out like the English courts?  Half a million seems like the sums paid out here in libel trials.  So was this a libel trial after all?  How does the book banning fit into this, how can the judge rule the no new editions can be sold, I am amazed at this Shocked

I am perplexed about the book re banning Candyfloss. This is a civil case, right? What power do the civil courts have to ban a book?

Never mind the other issues here...
TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:16 pm

8 mins ago the Official Find Madeleine FB page was reporting that they have updated their French poster. Zilch about the trial.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:16 pm

TheTruthWillOut wrote:
candyfloss wrote:So who was it who said the Portuguese courts do not pay out like the English courts?  Half a million seems like the sums paid out here in libel trials.  So was this a libel trial after all?  How does the book banning fit into this, how can the judge rule the no new editions can be sold, I am amazed at this Shocked

I am perplexed about the book re banning Candyfloss. This is a civil case, right? What power do the civil courts have to ban a book?

Never mind the other issues here...

I think we`re going to have to wait until Goncalo reports himself on the matter - at the moment it`s seeming more and more like an April fool`s joke.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:17 pm

Just reading this tweet, and it struck me that in the article just posted the McCanns lawyer declined to comment.  Now that has to be a first Isabel Duarte would surely be shouting this from the rooftops.... Why no comment from her.

jimuck mac@jimuckmac 4 mins4 minutes ago
@mariaccnr ..If Mr Amarals lawyer has not been notified of decision then there has been no decision made. #McCann

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:18 pm

I've been trying to comment but end up deleting because of anger.

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:21 pm

Quote Portugal news..

Isabel Duarte, the lawyer acting on behalf of the McCanns, opted not to comment on the decision.

Why not you won your case, surely you would comment and say how delighted you were and justice has been done.  Why no comment Isabel.?

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:22 pm

dogs don't lie wrote:I've been trying to comment but end up deleting because of anger.

ddl, I feel so much anger, it is a preposterous situation, and I'm making the most inane comments here. You go ahead, let fly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:23 pm

Indeed, I think the whole thing is looking shiftier by the minute

Definitely not like the McCanns or their paid spokespersons to keep quiet when things are in their favour...I think something is afoot here

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:29 pm

Hope your instinct is right here Susible it is so demoralising.
Bampots
Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:31 pm

Isabelle McFadden@QUEENdePORTUGAL 1 min1 minute ago
Have just heard back from Astro. It is TRUE details are unclear. Lawyer still NOT contacted. Therefore Cannot make comment. SHAMEFUL #mccann

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:32 pm

It is very demoralising Bampots, but if the written judgement was anything to go by, then there's no way these amounts can be accurate. That along with the alleged re-banning of the book, which I didn't even think was possible via that court, it just doesn't make sense

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:32 pm

Next door has mentioned GA knows of the decision of the court, fingers typing more words I never use, I really need to lie down in a dark room, Freedom... any space in yours?

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:33 pm

This link is in Portuguese and claims Gonçalo now knows ....any one have a read and confirm contents 

http://m.expresso.sapo.pt/inicio/modal/destaques/artigo/922116
Bampots
Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:34 pm

dogs don't lie wrote:Next door has mentioned GA knows of the decision of the court, fingers typing more words I never use, I really need to lie down in a dark room, Freedom... any space in yours?

Someone on twitter said it is wrong and say he has NOT heard.  The tweet I just posted backs that up.  Maybe he has heard through the papers but not from his solicitor who still does not have info according to some reports.

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next