I will die today at 2pm

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I will die today at 2pm

Post  candyfloss on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 10:31 pm

Very sad story, this man going to die at 2pm tomorrow at Dignitas.  He watched his wife die there a year ago.  I just wondered what people's thoughts were on this.  Do we have a right to choose when we die and end our life?  What are your thoughts.  

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: I will die today at 2pm

Post  chirpyinsect on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 5:42 am

Some would say we shouldn't play God, but then you have to believe in God to subscribe to that. 
I believe in dignity and freedom of choice. If someone wishes to end their own life in a quiet and controlled fashion, instead of suffering the agony that cancer inflicts in the latter stages, or wishes to bring an end to the ravishes of a disease like motor neuron syndrome, then they should be allowed to do so.
Nobody takes such a decision lightly and although it is painful for those left behind, I think the law should allow them to end their days at home if they so wish.
Obviously this would have to be controlled and measures in place to ensure it is not abused, but I think we should all make a living will stating our wishes. 
Some may prefer to let nature and their God take their course and that, of course is fine too, but I would opt for a peaceful end if faced with such a decision.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 6:55 am

We Dutch are lucky.
Within boundaries we can opt out.
Would we wish so.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 10:23 am

I know that if I were faced with a painful, lingering death, I would just want to go as quickly and painlessly as possible. I would also want this to spare my daughter the pain of seeing me deteriorate, we have in fact talked about this and whilst we both wish that neither of us are in that position for many years to come, we would indeed opt to end the suffering for both of us, the person dying and the person watching the person dying..not pleasant for either party.

I agree though that it has to be assessed very carefully to avoid any abuse.

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 10:41 am

So sad, but alas I don't trust the police, the NHS or the doctors, not to mention the legal system. Legalizing euthanasia would be a frightening thing in the UK, and once that pandora's box is opened I shudder to think what would follow. Although I agree with the views stated here, if I were given a vote, I would vote against it.

pennylane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:34 am

They are pushing this day by day. Fine it is a person's choice. But they have been culling the population with unscrupulous doctors, for years, Shipman just one. If it goes through there has to be stringent guidelines and not up to others who just think they have the power to end lives.  I think those crying out for euthanasia cannot see past their own suffering and what it might mean to the rest of society. imo

Totally agree penylane but fear we might not have a choice.

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:49 am

There's already a legal form of euthanasia in the UK, which is withholding treatment. This is not only stopping medication and life support systems, but also not administrating food or fluids anymore. Very cruel and coward in my Dutch "eyes".
I know it's still being used is some hospitals in NL too. Starving people to death may seem easy, especially if the patient is old and weakened. But I do know of cases in which the dying process lasted up to 2 weeks. Coward and cruel, I say again.
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 10:24 pm

Crying or Very sadCrying or Very sad

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mo on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:15 pm

I did say a little prayer for this chap at 2pm today, but I also thought about my own parents and my husbands who also died of cancer. I must say they may have suffered mentally for a short while but died peacefully. My sister on the other hand was put on the Liverpool Pathway - can't say that was peaceful!
Mo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mo on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:24 pm

I reckon we are all frightened of it Bubblewrapped but there's nowt we can do about it!
Mo

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterMac on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 8:05 am

chirpyinsect wrote:Some would say we shouldn't play God, but then you have to believe in God to subscribe to that. 

Intensive care is as much 'playing God', surely. As is helping someone at the scene of an accident.
Appendicitis was fatal until the 1880s. Since then surgeons have 'played God' . . . .
PeterMac

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 9:15 am

PeterMac wrote:
chirpyinsect wrote:Some would say we shouldn't play God, but then you have to believe in God to subscribe to that. 

Intensive care is as much 'playing God', surely. As is helping someone at the scene of an accident.  
Appendicitis was fatal until the 1880s.   Since then surgeons have 'played God' . . . .
It's not my philosophy Peter. I believe that all life is precious and medical intervention is a good thing in the main, however quality of life is the most important thing.
If someone wants their suffering to end, or indeed to end their life before a certain stage is reached, then they should be allowed to do so in an environment of their choice, not have to ask a loved one to risk imprisonment to end the suffering.
It is a very emotive subject and fraught with difficulties. I know what I would choose but my point was, some may say that it would be playing God.
As I have no God ( of the conventional kind) I would prefer to make my own choice. I also respect the right of others to allow nature to take its course if they so wish.

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 10:57 am

For me it would be my dignity that would be of concern, if I couldn't wash, go to the loo or maybe even if I couldn't remember my family, would I like to carry on? No, but I suppose I would need to know off that in advance, even then, would I have the courage? Probably need to be in that position to know the answer, hope I never am. I hope I live a full and happy life then go quickly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 1:41 pm

I`m assuming all these people that go to Dignitas cannot raise their arms to their mouths or are totally paralysed. Isn`t it supposed to be easy to kill oneself ? Not sure, but wouldn`t swallowing a load of tablets or a helium balloon or carbon monoxide from the car`s exhaust (that`s if you`ve got a car) be cheaper than travelling to Switzerland. When my husband had cancer, he had loads of tablets he could have taken if he really wanted to die, as well as morphine.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 1:46 pm

My view is very much a minority one and probably very unpopular nowadays. But I believe that only God can give life and only God should be able to take it away.

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 2:11 pm

Resistor wrote:My view is very much a minority one and probably very unpopular nowadays.  But I believe that only God can give life and only God should be able to take it away.
I don't think it unpopular at all Resistor and nor should it be. Life and how we choose to live it is personal and if a person believes that their fate is in God's hands then I respect that totally.
However many people no longer wish to continue with the struggle and therefore the choice should be theirs.
I understand that people go to Dignitas as suicide is illegal in many countries, and they can end their life in a quiet environment.
A horrible choice I know.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top