Miscellaneous Criminal Cases

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mother jailed for 11 years for killing Mikaeel Kular

Post  candyfloss on Mon 25 Aug 2014, 12:30 pm

25 August 2014 Last updated at 12:03

Mother jailed for 11 years for killing Mikaeel Kular

Rosdeep Adekoya and Mikaeel Kular Rosdeep Adekoya was originally charged with murdering son Mikaeel Kular

The mother of three-year-old Mikaeel Kular has been jailed for 11 years after she admitted killing her son and hiding his body in a suitcase.

Mikaeel died two days after being beaten by Rosdeep Adekoya, 34, at the family's flat in Edinburgh in January.

She put his body in a suitcase before dumping it behind her sister's house 20 miles away in Kirkcaldy, Fife.

Adekoya originally told police that Mikaeel had disappeared from her home, leading to a major two-day search.

She had been charged with murder, but admitted the reduced charge of culpable homicide.

'Out of character'

Defence lawyer Brian McConnachie said while the assault was "undoubtedly serious" it was completely out of character.

He told the High Court in Edinburgh: "It took place over a short period of time and there is nothing to suggest that prior to that weekend there were any similar incidents."

Mr McConnachie added: "There is no sentence your lordship can impose which will be deemed sufficient by what appears to be an ill-informed mob, no doubt at this moment waiting to express their outrage and indignation."

Adekoya, who was wearing glasses, a black cardigan and burgundy jeans, cried and wiped away tears throughout her court appearance.

She had admitted wrapping Mikaeel's body in a duvet cover, putting it in a suitcase and driving to Dunvegan Avenue in Kirkcaldy, Fife, where she hid the case under a bush in woods behind a house.

Adekoya, who had a history of depression and attempted suicide in 2001, had called 999 to report her son missing to police.

She told officers he got out of bed and climbed on a stool to unlock the front door of his home.

Mikaeel died on the night of Tuesday 14 January from injuries inflicted the previous Sunday.

The final cause of death was found to be "blunt force abdominal trauma".

Mikaeel had more than 40 separate injuries to his body, including bruises to his back, chin and cheek, trauma to the brain, haemorrhage in the spinal cord and injuries to his arms.

Adekoya pleaded guilty to repeatedly punching her son and causing his body to hit against a hard object or inflicting blunt injuries on his head and body between 12 and 15 January at their home in Ferry Gait Crescent in the Drylaw area of the city.

Flowers outside house in Kirkcaldy Mikaeel's body was found in a suitcase dumped in woods behind a house in Kirkcaldy

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28926241
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Miscellaneous Criminal Cases

Post  wjk on Thu 28 Aug 2014, 11:11 pm

11 years!! Its a disgrace to poor little Mikaeels memory!

Back to top Go down

Post  Lorraine on Fri 29 Aug 2014, 8:31 pm

This woman went beserk. Over a period of hours she subjected this poor child to suffering we cannot comprehend. Where were her other children when all this was going on? Where were the neighbours when she was doing the beatings, when this poor child was suffering?
Lorraine

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Fri 29 Aug 2014, 10:41 pm

I did wonder where the other children were.

I don't want to attach any blame to them of course but why didn't they say anything to anyone? Maybe they were terrorised into thinking that the same fate would befall them if they did.

There have been so many cases where children have been tortured over long periods and the neighbours never heard anything. I don't understand how that can happen.
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Sarah Payne's father dies, aged 45

Post  Freedom on Thu 30 Oct 2014, 7:51 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2813531/Father-murdered-Sarah-Payne-dies-45-alcoholism-battle.html

A tortured soul who never recovered from his daughter's murder.

I know that he already suffered from bipolar disorder but he was coping prior to then.
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Thu 30 Oct 2014, 8:15 am

How very sad that he was tortured by the guilt of not being able to save his child. In those circumstances I would think it would be the real way any parent would feel.
I won`t draw the obvious comparison because there are those who do not know what real suffering is.
chirpyinsect

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 10:30 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-30726910

Now the death of the father of Daniel Entwistle who disappeared in 2003 and has never been found.
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Very Strange

Post  PMR on Sat 28 Mar 2015, 10:12 am

http://m.lep.co.uk/news/local/family-of-abducted-girl-warns-parents-to-take-care-1-7181087
This is not very far from where I live. If all is as it reads it's very worrying

Last edited by PMR on Sat 28 Mar 2015, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Tested link to article)
PMR

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Sat 28 Mar 2015, 11:27 am

Yes it remains to be seen if all is as we have been told.

Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie on Sat 28 Mar 2015, 12:03 pm

I'd actually read somewhere that the child got into the car and were chatting whilst driving, but above says she was put into the boot? Both very wrong anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Sat 28 Mar 2015, 12:17 pm

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11886351.MANHUNT__Six_year_old_girl_abducted_____sexually_assaulted____and_dumped_in_street/?ref=rss

More information here.
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie on Sat 28 Mar 2015, 1:48 pm

Freedom wrote:http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11886351.MANHUNT__Six_year_old_girl_abducted_____sexually_assaulted____and_dumped_in_street/?ref=rss

More information here.

Thanks Freedom, hope hes caught soon, poor child.

Back to top Go down

Post  PMR on Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:15 am

http://m.lep.co.uk/news/local/man-in-court-over-abduction-of-lancashire-six-year-old-1-7182786
Sounds like the police might've known where to look
PMR

Back to top Go down

Ann Heron murder 3/8/1990

Post  Guest on Mon 13 Apr 2015, 9:53 am

Coming up this year on the 25th anniversary of a crime that few of you will be familiar with, although it remains County Durham's only unsolved murder. I am constantly reminded of it as I pass by the house - it is now a boarding kennels - a couple of times a week.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/2043009.Having_an_affair_doesn_t_mean_my_father_is_guilty_of_murder/

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Mon 13 Apr 2015, 10:02 am

I'd never heard of this case before.

Here is a slightly more recent interview with the victim's daughter.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/local-news/ann-herons-daughter-speaks-20-3700024
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Mon 13 Apr 2015, 9:08 pm

Not heard of this either. Just been reading up about it.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Rachel Charles - an English girl murdered in the Algarve, 1990

Post  Rosa canina on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 5:22 am

(photograph snipped from the Daily Mail)

www.nickdavies.net/1993/08/.../kidnap-murder-and-justice-in-the-algarv

I've always found this a desperately sad case -

- her poor, poor mother.
Rosa canina

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 7:46 am

I'm probably having a senior moment but I don't remember hearing about this case before.

There's a May 2007 report from the Mail mentioning the McCann case briefly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-453838/17-years-abduction-Algarve-victim-British.html

Interesting to see though that the media did not then think that the area was awash with paedophiles abducting children - there had been no cases for 17 years.

The last sentence though is a sign of what was to come.

"But the case was mired in claims of police incompetence and corruption".
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 8:46 am

Yes, clearly that was published as a "bash the PJ" exercise. Very poor choice, though - and I can see why the McCanns didn't want to attach themselves to it. For starters, the kid was found dead (no money in that), not sexually abused (no paedophiles to crusade against) and the stepfather was the prime suspect.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 10:39 am

There's a bit written about this in the book 'Vanished - The Truth About The Disappearance Of Madeleine McCann'

Iv'e not read that book and not heard of this case before either.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dw9UbEdmsoAC&pg=PT165&lpg=PT165&dq=michael+cook+portugal&source=bl&ots=u5mnBejEuj&sig=S4WL2NOvxoOHldEtbj8V8GohtlE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBWoVChMIlujqvc2MxwIVxBceCh1Csgde#v=onepage&q=michael%20cook%20portugal&f=false
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 1:31 pm

Cleaning up the crime scene

Disposing the body

Perverting the course of justice

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/killer-who-dumped-body-girlfriends-6506657

Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 2:57 pm

It's absolutely horrendous what has been done to Mr Tomlinson who was killed and his body thrown into a wheelie bin, and the bin was set on fire trying to conceal the body.  Kearney was given a life sentence, 6 years, FFS, it should have been 60 years -

Nathan Kearney, 34, was this week given a life sentence after he was found guilty of the manslaughter of Bill Tomlinson, reports the Loughborough Echo .

He had already pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice by destroying or concealing evidence.

Kearney, of Braunstone, will serve a minimum of six years and nine months before being eligible for parole.

I'm lost for words.   Evil or Very Mad

Although it does show what lengths people will go to to avoid being caught after they've done a crime, not that I'm alluding to anything I would add.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 3:28 pm

Yeah exactly. What some people will do to try and get away with it.

Agreed - 6 years is a p!ss take.
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 3:29 pm

I had wondered what the motive was. There's more information here.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Judge-directs-Leicester-jury-convict-autistic-man/story-27639068-detail/story.html
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 3:51 pm

Freedom wrote:I had wondered what the motive was. There's more information here.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Judge-directs-Leicester-jury-convict-autistic-man/story-27639068-detail/story.html

Absolutely totally shocking, they knew what they were doing, someone with only a few brain cells between their ears would know that slitting someone's throat is killing someone and they're not likely to survive the ordeal.

I looked up the procedure to write to the "establishment" to protest against such a low sentence (6 years) but apparently "manslaughter" doesn't seem to come under their remit of having the sentence overturned, it has to be classed as murder.

So it looks, to me, like many "murders" are now being classed as "manslaughter" as there are not enough prison places to house people for a proper murder conviction for say 20 or 30 years.

How can you say that slitting someone's throat and setting the body alight is "manslaughter" not "murder".

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top