MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!! GONCALO WINS 31/01/17 in Supreme Court

+31
Bloodhound
TheTruthWillOut
PMR
dannii
coppernob
Heisenburg
chilli
poster
froggy
Châtelaine
wjk
unreorganised
Bampots
gbwales
Satsuma
Mo
Helenmeg
Admin
espeland
Mimi
dogs don't lie
Inca
Benevolent
Poe
chrissie
chirpyinsect
Dee Coy
bluebell
AndyB
costello
Andrew
35 posters

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!!  GONCALO WINS  31/01/17  in Supreme Court  - Page 5 Empty Re: McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!! GONCALO WINS 31/01/17 in Supreme Court

Post  Châtelaine Tue 31 Jan 2017, 7:35 pm

chirpyinsect wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:Now, which country doesn't have an extradiction treaty with the UK? Brazil?
 Barbados.
O.K. Where the weather is nice and the pinacoladas aren't too expensive ...
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!!  GONCALO WINS  31/01/17  in Supreme Court  - Page 5 Empty Re:McCanns lose their appeal 31/01/17

Post  costello Tue 31 Jan 2017, 7:47 pm

Luna wrote:That £490,000+ of the fraudulent fund which they invested should just about cover their legal fees.

Hi Luna .Ben Salmond explained this today on fb 'AorS' and yes I agree it would just about cover it. Sorry can't copy.
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!!  GONCALO WINS  31/01/17  in Supreme Court  - Page 5 Empty Re: McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!! GONCALO WINS 31/01/17 in Supreme Court

Post  unreorganised Tue 31 Jan 2017, 7:48 pm

It's not all jam for Amaral.

Benfica unexpectedly lost at Setubal last night....
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 31 Jan 2017, 7:54 pm

costello wrote:
Luna wrote:That £490,000+ of the fraudulent fund which they invested should just about cover their legal fees.

Hi Luna .Ben Salmond explained this today on fb 'AorS' and yes I agree it would just about cover it. Sorry can't copy.

I don't suppose the parents are buoyed by their funds being depleted!

I do hope that the fund will be scrutinized by investigators.

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Tue 31 Jan 2017, 7:56 pm

One of the last matches I watched & liked [70's?] was real Real Madrid- Benfica. Eusebio and Di Stefano. Never to forget, but after that foot got dirty.
Poor Benfica nowadays then ....
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Tue 31 Jan 2017, 7:58 pm

Luna wrote: [...]

I don't suppose the parents are buoyed by their funds being depleted!

I do hope that the fund will be scrutinized by investigators.
I wouldn't be surprised, not even when it was done quite a long time ago ...
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:01 pm

Châtelaine wrote:
chirpyinsect wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:Now, which country doesn't have an extradiction treaty with the UK? Brazil?
 Barbados.
O.K. Where the weather is nice and the pinacoladas aren't too expensive ...

Luz?

Is Ocean Club still going?
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:05 pm

The statement from KM and GM. Note: there is no 'spokesperson' to hide behind - have they all done a runner??

It is eight years since we brought the action and in that time the landscape has dramatically changed, namely there is now a joint Metropolitan Police-Policia Judiciaria investigation which is what we've always wanted.

Reading between the lines, are they acknowledging that they have lost public support and are about to be thrown to the wolves?

I wonder if the last part of the sentence, with regard to the joint investigation, should read: "which is what we have always dreaded."
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:07 pm

poster wrote:The statement from KM and GM. Note: there is no 'spokesperson' to hide behind - have they all done a runner??

It is eight years since we brought the action and in that time the landscape has dramatically changed, namely there is now a joint Metropolitan Police-Policia Judiciaria investigation which is what we've always wanted.

Reading between the lines, are they acknowledging that they have lost public support and are about to be thrown to the wolves?

I wonder if the last part of the sentence, with regard to the joint investigation, should read: "which is what we have always dreaded."

They can't afford him any longer Smile
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:10 pm

froggy wrote:
poster wrote:The statement from KM and GM. Note: there is no 'spokesperson' to hide behind - have they all done a runner??

Indeed! Is there any money left in The Fraud Fund?

I thought the Fund was set up to 'find Madeleine' who, according to her parents, has come to no harm? The public donated money to find Madeleine, not to pay the legal costs??
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Antonia Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:18 pm

I drank Portuguese wine tonight to celebrate. Three cheers for the Portuguese Supreme Court.
Antonia
Antonia

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:20 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/31/madeleine-mccanns-parents-lose-legal-appeal-claims-covered-daughters/

Madeleine McCann's parents could be sued by police chief who falsely accused them of covering up death
Kate and Gerry McCann could now face a large costs bill

Kate and Gerry McCann face being sued by the former Portuguese police chief who falsely accused them of covering up their daughter’s death.

The McCanns yesterday lost an appeal in Portugal’s highest court over damaging allegations in a book on the case by Goncalo Amaral, who initially led the investigation into Madeleine’s disappaearance ten years ago.

The couple initially successfully sued Amaral for libel over the book, The  Truth of the Lie, but the decision was overturned by another court in 2015.

In the latest round of their legal battle the couple have failed to have the original decision reinstated.

That raises the nightmare prospect of being sued by Amaral for damages.

Back to top Go down

Post  Poe Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:25 pm

poster wrote:
froggy wrote:

I thought the Fund was set up to 'find Madeleine' who, according to her parents, has come to no harm? The public donated money to find Madeleine, not to pay the legal costs??

deleted 

Perhaps that's why OG was reduced to a handful of officers - they are just waiting for information from various financial institutions.

All speculation on my part.
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:28 pm

bluebell wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/31/madeleine-mccanns-parents-lose-legal-appeal-claims-covered-daughters/

Madeleine McCann's parents could be sued by police chief who falsely accused them of covering up death
Kate and Gerry McCann could now face a large costs bill

Kate and Gerry McCann face being sued by the former Portuguese police chief who falsely accused them of covering up their daughter’s death.

The McCanns yesterday lost an appeal in Portugal’s highest court over damaging allegations in a book on the case by Goncalo Amaral, who initially led the investigation into Madeleine’s disappaearance ten years ago.

The couple initially successfully sued Amaral for libel over the book, The  Truth of the Lie, but the decision was overturned by another court in 2015.

In the latest round of their legal battle the couple have failed to have the original decision reinstated.

That raises the nightmare prospect of being sued by Amaral for damages.

If the accusations made in the book are false, then why have the McCanns lost the case?
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:32 pm

bluebell wrote:Bit more from the Sun article above -     Yeah - too right !!

The appeal judges said Amaral’s right to express his opinions overruled any duty of confidentiality he had as an ex-police chief heading the Madeleine McCann investigation once the case files, made available on the Internet by Portuguese authorities, were put into the public domain.

Dr Amaral's opinions have been made on the basis of facts evolving from a thorough investigation including forensic evidence.

The McCann's theory is based on no evidence at all. Not one single piece of evidence that Madeleine was abducted from apartment 5A on Thursday evening by person/s unknown.

And the FACT that the McCanns were not prepared to seriously entertain any other scenario - at least in the first instance - other than abduction tends to suggest that they were following a script.
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Poe Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:37 pm

@bluebell & poster

The media are really tying themselves in knots trying to avoid upsetting the McCanns  lol!
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:38 pm

Poe wrote:
poster wrote:
froggy wrote:

deleted 

Perhaps that's why OG was reduced to a handful of officers - they are just waiting for information from various financial institutions.

Demonstrating fraud is probably the only way of bringing them to court
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:42 pm

froggy wrote:[...]

Demonstrating fraud is probably the only way of bringing them to court
+++
Yep.
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  chilli Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:53 pm

Only just caught up with the news but isn't it fabulous.

A toast to a brave man is required, so off to find something suitable.
chilli
chilli

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:54 pm

Moral of the story,don't loose a child in unexplained circumstance,don't sue the copper who tried to find out what happened and finally have a clear understanding of the civil law in a foreign country before launching a legal action.

Whoop,whoop.
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 31 Jan 2017, 8:58 pm

What happens next for GA?

I hope he will release a statement regarding today's news.

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Tue 31 Jan 2017, 9:00 pm

Heisenburg wrote:Moral of the story,don't loose a child in unexplained circumstance,don't sue the copper who tried to find out what happened and finally have a clear understanding of the civil law in a foreign country before launching a legal action.

Whoop,whoop.

They were incredibly badly advised. I suppose bombastic Gerry considered he knew better and steamed ahead. Isabel happy to act for them as she gets paid win or lose, though she can say goodbye to that bonus Very Happy
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Tue 31 Jan 2017, 9:04 pm

How about a 10th anniversary meet-up in Luz?? For anyone interested...

I nearly went there last year as I know a couple who live there with their children. They know the Hubbards. I would love to talk to them more about the case and would be fascinated to walk along the streets which I have read so much about.

RIP Madeleine.... Crying or Very sad
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Tue 31 Jan 2017, 9:06 pm

I would be most surprised if the McCanns haven't syphoned off a few millions from the fund into various offshore accounts plus cash donations and book royalties that never made it into the fund at all. Weren't Metodo 3 experts in money laundering? I expect the McCanns have a nice little nest egg hidden away.

-------

Yes - agreed. But they might have to dip into the nest egg as surely the public have not been donating for quite some time and there have been some big legal fees?
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  coppernob Tue 31 Jan 2017, 9:15 pm

Not long came in from work to hear this fantastic news, I am so so happy cheers
coppernob
coppernob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next