MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!! GONCALO WINS 31/01/17 in Supreme Court

+31
Bloodhound
TheTruthWillOut
PMR
dannii
coppernob
Heisenburg
chilli
poster
froggy
Châtelaine
wjk
unreorganised
Bampots
gbwales
Satsuma
Mo
Helenmeg
Admin
espeland
Mimi
dogs don't lie
Inca
Benevolent
Poe
chrissie
chirpyinsect
Dee Coy
bluebell
AndyB
costello
Andrew
35 posters

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!!  GONCALO WINS  31/01/17  in Supreme Court  - Page 13 Empty Re: McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!! GONCALO WINS 31/01/17 in Supreme Court

Post  AndyB Fri 03 Feb 2017, 8:04 am

costello wrote:I am thinking that maybe Amazon USA may help out here. Although I have heard that Dr. Amaral is looking for a UK publisher. I do hope he finds one soon.
Amazon won't sell Pat Browns book. The other big American book seller, Barnes and Noble do but not to the UK
AndyB
AndyB

Back to top Go down

McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!!  GONCALO WINS  31/01/17  in Supreme Court  - Page 13 Empty Re: McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!! GONCALO WINS 31/01/17 in Supreme Court

Post  unreorganised Fri 03 Feb 2017, 8:10 am

Satsuma wrote:Never mind GA, it's strange that the owners of this forum and the other one have never been sued for libel

Maybe it's because most of what's been written on them over the years is so far removed from the truth that it  provides a distraction from what really happened

I think the forums are quite measured compared to what I have seen said (not at first hand admittedly) on social media. Your posts seem to imply that you think it's possible the entire thing happened at a different time to that claimed. That possibility has certainly been considered at some length here and elsewhere before now.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised Fri 03 Feb 2017, 8:18 am

AndyB wrote:
I'm not suggesting that the book would be banned per se, which would indeed make a mockery of free movement of goods in the E.U. (as does duty on alcohol but that's another story). I just think that its plausible that a foreign publisher considering selling an English language version of the book in England might be advised not to publish because they would be opening themselves up to action in the English libel court. That would certainly have been the case previously, which is why there currently isn't an official English language version. (Madeleine was an English girl and the case has obviously attracted a huge amount of interest here. What other reason could there be for not publishing previously?) I'm just not sure how much difference the Portuguese supreme court decision has made

Yes good point on the alcohol. I suppose the question should really be, how can something be libelous in one part of a federalist superstate and not in another? But that is beyond the scope of this forum really.

I also think we might be dignifying the McCann's action somewhat by talking about libel. I thought it was less to do with the factual or otherwise nature of the book, and more that they were just peeved that he'd written it at all.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyB Fri 03 Feb 2017, 9:17 am

unreorganised wrote:
AndyB wrote:
I'm not suggesting that the book would be banned per se, which would indeed make a mockery of free movement of goods in the E.U. (as does duty on alcohol but that's another story). I just think that its plausible that a foreign publisher considering selling an English language version of the book in England might be advised not to publish because they would be opening themselves up to action in the English libel court. That would certainly have been the case previously, which is why there currently isn't an official English language version. (Madeleine was an English girl and the case has obviously attracted a huge amount of interest here. What other reason could there be for not publishing previously?) I'm just not sure how much difference the Portuguese supreme court decision has made

Yes good point on the alcohol. I suppose the question should really be, how can something be libelous in one part of a federalist superstate and not in another? But that is beyond the scope of this forum really.
That is indeed the key question and the cynical answer is that, whilst common sense dictates that if its not libelous in Portugal then it can't be libelous here, unfortunately common sense very often goes out of the window where the law is concerned
AndyB
AndyB

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sat 04 Feb 2017, 10:14 pm

Front page of the Sunday Express tomorrow

McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!!  GONCALO WINS  31/01/17  in Supreme Court  - Page 13 C32ineOWYAAepOy

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Sun 05 Feb 2017, 9:10 am

The mail is running with that as well.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4192424/Madeleine-McCann-libel-trial-winner-publish-second-book.html#ixzz4XndYfiGU

Former police chief who accused Madeleine McCann’s parents of cover-up over her death plans SECOND book after winning libel trial

Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sun 05 Feb 2017, 10:10 am

Yeah, it's like clockwork all the same stories rehashed, wonder who puts them up to it!!  I don't need to phone a friend...

Here it is when Goncalo won the first trial/hearing last April..........

https://maddiemccannmystery.forumotion.co.uk/t1312-fresh-agony-for-the-mccanns-portuguese-police-chief-plans-second-book-on-madeleine-express-01-05-16

Here was the headline on front page from then May 1st 2016

McCANNS LOSE THEIR APPEAL!!  GONCALO WINS  31/01/17  in Supreme Court  - Page 13 ChUOej2WwAEatHU

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Sun 05 Feb 2017, 10:16 am

Have I just read TOP COP???
Jeez, another thing I didn't think I'd ever see!!!
Man, those journalists do like to make their money, good news or bad!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sun 05 Feb 2017, 10:43 am

snipped from Mirror

"With the support in Britain he obviously thinks his second book on the case would sell well if translated into English and he is actively looking for a publisher.

"He would also ask any publisher if they would be interested in publishing his first book in English."

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Dee Coy Sun 05 Feb 2017, 11:29 am

The http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/763253/Detective-writing-new-Maddie-McCann-book

Today's Express article. They're the ones who have simmering resentment over this case, I believe. The piece is good in that it describes how GA wrote the book and also how the subsequent actions of the McCanns caused him considerable hardship. It is very sympathetic to Goncalo.

Would they serialise?

I don't really understand why the books can't be published here. On what grounds can the McCanns sue?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sun 05 Feb 2017, 12:31 pm

Blimey, the Express article is actually quite fair for a change and definitely sympathetic to Goncalo. They`ve even chosen a nice picture of him and a not so nice one of the McCanns.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Sun 05 Feb 2017, 12:36 pm

Mimi, IMO they [Express} have been waiting a long time to do such things ...
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Sun 05 Feb 2017, 12:39 pm

Dee Coy wrote:The http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/763253/Detective-writing-new-Maddie-McCann-book

Today's Express article. They're the ones who have simmering resentment over this case, I believe. The piece is good in that it describes how GA wrote the book and also how the subsequent actions of the McCanns caused him considerable hardship. It is very sympathetic to Goncalo.

Would they serialise?

I don't really understand why the books can't be published here. On what grounds can the McCanns sue?

I don't know but the law of libel has changed recently and the Mccanns might have to put forward some evidence to counter particular points of contention.
If Amaral made certain key changes before publication, while still getting his narrative across, then he might be able to publish freely.
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised Sun 05 Feb 2017, 1:08 pm

Not sure what happened to "publish and be damned". I'm surprised that nobody with a finger on which way the wind is blowing hasn't made a move to publish already. Also as I already said the case wasn't really libel in the true sense, it was more about hurt feelings. The factual nature of the book is not in contention.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sun 05 Feb 2017, 1:10 pm

Châtelaine wrote:Mimi, IMO they [Express} have been waiting a long time to do such things ...

Yes, I bet they have. Let`s hope they get a bit braver next time Wink

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Sun 05 Feb 2017, 1:11 pm

unreorganised wrote:Not sure what happened to "publish and be damned". I'm surprised that nobody with a finger on which way the wind is blowing hasn't made a move to publish already. Also as I already said the case wasn't really libel in the true sense, it was more about hurt feelings. The factual nature of the book is not in contention.

No doubt one of the red tops could publish lengthy extract just as long as they excluded the potentially libelous  bits.
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sun 05 Feb 2017, 1:12 pm

As EJ and DF have managed to get a super-injunction, I assume to protect their kids, the Mcs may do the same.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Sun 05 Feb 2017, 1:23 pm

Mimi wrote:As EJ and DF have managed to get a super-injunction, I assume to protect their kids, the Mcs may do the same.

They might, but with what success? Didn't work outside England and was all over the internet. Suppression only make people more curious.
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sun 05 Feb 2017, 1:24 pm

I'm not sure if this is a comparable situation. In cases like the celebrity couple and the actor who dallied with a prostitute, what they had done and wanted to keep out of the papers wasn't illegal, just embarrassing.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Bloodhound Sun 05 Feb 2017, 6:47 pm

It's more or less the same old garbage posted a while back, with up to date news.

Can his Portuguese publishers publish the book in English?
Bloodhound
Bloodhound

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun 05 Feb 2017, 6:48 pm

'Our lawyers are watching!': Kate and Gerry McCann warn Portuguese policeman his new book on their daughter's disappearance must NOT be published in Britain

Goncalo Amaral claims Madeleine McCann's parents covered up her death
He published a book in 2008 and the McCanns tried to sue him for libel
They were told they could not by a judge, as it's revealed Amaral is writing another book
He is said to be looking for a publisher in England, though the McCanns will sue
By Tracey Kandohla For Mailonline
PUBLISHED: 18:31, 5 February 2017 | UPDATED: 18:31, 5 February 2017

A retired police chief who won victory over Madeleine McCann's parents in a bitter libel case will be been warned a second book he is writing about her disappearance must NOT be published in Britain.

Kate and Gerry McCann will inform him: 'Beware, our lawyers are watching!' if he tries to sell his new novel or his first contentious one in the UK, family spokesman Clarence Mitchell said today.

Former Portuguese detective Goncalo Amaral accused Maddie's parents of covering up their daughter's death which they have always vehemently denied.

After defeating the couple on appeal last week in their eight-year civil battle he is now reportedly looking for a British publisher for his sequel to the Maddie mystery.

Mr Mitchell said: 'If Mr Amaral's current book about Madeleine or any new one he may be planning to write is published here in the UK Kate and Gerry's lawyers will take immediate action. He needs to know lawyers are watching.'

Former GP Kate and heart doctor Gerry have on board the country's top libel lawyers, London-based Carter-Ruck, to deal with any grievance they have if they feel lies are being told or if anything is written or said which they believe damages their reputation.

The couple, both 48 from Rothley, Leicestershire, pay for the costly service when needed from the Find Maddie Fund, which is made up of public donations and proceeds from Kate's own bestseller book 'Madeleine' published in 2011.

Jubilant Mr Amaral is finishing off the final chapter of his newly-penned book while taking a break in Switzerland.

He is confident his sequel to Maddie The Truth of the Lie could be a 'big hit,' according to a source in Portugal.

The book claimed that the McCanns, pictured left, had covered up the death of their daughter Madeleine, pictured right, when she went missing in 2007

The insider said: 'Mr Amaral knows that the world is fascinated with the Maddie story and her parents.'

What he wrote in his first book – which was never sold in Britain – formed the basis of the McCann's libel battle. He said three-year-old Maddie, who vanished from a Portuguese holiday apartment in Praia da Luz in May 2007, had in fact died there.

There had been no kidnap and her parents had hidden her body after an accidental death, he claimed.

His once-banned book, translated into several different languages but never before in English, can now go back on the shelves again.

The friend of the McCann's, who are still reeling from their libel loss, said: 'If he thinks his old or new book will appear here he'll have another think coming If that's his intention whoever is responsible will be sued. Carter-Ruck will have no hesitation issuing a writ for defamation.'

Mr Amaral's 2008 book was never translated into English for publication in the UK because it would have breached strict libel laws.

The ex police officer, who led the initial bungled hunt for Maddie, may consider suing Kate and Gerry for allegedly 'damaging his reputation' and 'causing him years of anguish.'

Their friend added: 'If that happens it would be a relentless battle. Kate and Gerry only took civil action against Mr Amaral in the first place to stop him spouting his malicious lies. He has profited from their pain.'

Mr Amaral, 58, revelling in his libel victory, previously said: 'Truth is simple. It is truth that guides me, and it will continue to do so in its simplicity and greatness.'

His appeal was funded by online supports, including Brits, and he thanked them saying: 'None of this would have been possible without you.'

Scotland Yard are busy investigating one 'last throw of the dice' lead in a bid to solve the Madeleine mystery which has gripped the world. But time could be running out as police now have just two months left of guaranteed Government funding to continue to unravel an 'important' new tip.

Detectives on the Maddie inquiry, codenamed Operation Grange, recently revealed they are working on a final theory that the youngster was snatched by a European trafficking gang. If alive, she would be turn 14 in mid-May.

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Bloodhound Sun 05 Feb 2017, 6:51 pm

Off topic, but I was just reading the last photo thread, got to page 5 or 6 and it disappeared.  Now I can't find it. Has it been deleted?

Edited.. I found it Very Happy
Bloodhound
Bloodhound

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next