MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jack the Ripper

+3
Andrew
Marky
Freedom
7 posters

Go down

Jack the Ripper  Empty Jack the Ripper

Post  Guest Sun 07 Sep 2014, 7:25 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2746321/Jack-Ripper-unmasked-How-amateur-sleuth-used-DNA-breakthrough-identify-Britains-notorious-criminal-126-years-string-terrible-murders.html

It is the greatest murder mystery of all time, a puzzle that has perplexed criminologists for more than a century and spawned books, films and myriad theories ranging from the plausible to the utterly bizarre.

But now, thanks to modern forensic science, The Mail on Sunday can exclusively reveal the true identity of Jack the Ripper, the serial killer responsible for  at least five grisly murders in Whitechapel in East London during the autumn of 1888.

Jack the Ripper has been identified as Polish-born Aaron Kosminski

Back to top Go down

Jack the Ripper  Empty Re: Jack the Ripper

Post  Freedom Sun 07 Sep 2014, 9:35 am

I suspect that there will still be outlandish theories about the identity of Jack the Ripper for years to come, despite this discovery.

DNA evidence isn't conclusive for people who want to believe that someone else was responsible - if you see where I'm heading!

The Ripper murders seem comparatively recent when you think that people alive today could have spoken to others who were around at the time.

My grandmother talked to my mother about the murders and, had she lived for just a few more years, she could have spoken to me as well. Perhaps she did, but as I wasn't quite 3 when she died, I don't remember!
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Marky Sun 07 Sep 2014, 10:06 am

the thing with dna is that it puts you at the scene of the crime and/or having come into contact with victim/s but that's all it does.
Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sun 28 Aug 2016, 11:46 am

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun 19 Feb 2017, 2:58 pm

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Sun 19 Feb 2017, 4:21 pm

Interesting article there, worth a read. Patricia Cornwell is a very intelligent woman and seems to have done a great deal of research on this subject.
Thought I had read something recently about DNA being tested, or am I wrong. Not sure how DNA from Victorian times could be tracked though confused

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Sun 19 Feb 2017, 4:26 pm

I have and have read the first book Patricia Cornwell wrote on this subject and must say that, though it was interesting and well written, I wasn't completely convinced. I'll order the new one now, though.
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sun 19 Feb 2017, 6:36 pm

She isn't the only person to name Walter Sickert as a suspect but it's not a theory that I support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Sickert

If you ever get the chance to read "Jack the Ripper: the final solution" by Stephen Knight, it's unintentionally hilariously awful.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Sun 19 Feb 2017, 7:24 pm

Some days, depending on how life develops, what's it with French taxes, social security, renewing identity card and having to travel some 1,200 km to get it ... I'd be happy to read something, which is unintentionally hilariously awful. Cool
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Sun 19 Feb 2017, 7:32 pm

Châtelaine wrote:Some days, depending on how life develops, what's it with French taxes, social security, renewing identity card and having to travel some 1,200 km to get it ... I'd be happy to read something, which is unintentionally hilariously awful. Cool

It is a long-held desire of mine to live in France one day. I spend too much of my time on Rightmove looking for the perfect property. I have to admit though that after the libertarian approach to taxation here in Cyprus, the seemingly Draconian French system does put me off.

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Sun 19 Feb 2017, 7:42 pm

It's God's own country, Chirpy. Wonderful :-)
Pity there are sooooo many [too many] utterly incapable functionaries.
I've learned to live with them, but could very well do without them ...
Don't want to move.

Oh ... and if you'd consider to move over here too: I have a completely renovated and furnished house with garden for sale, just on the other side of my main gate ... :-D
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:13 pm

The book I mentioned is available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Jack-Ripper-Final-Solution-Stephen-Knight/0586046526/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487541865&sr=1-1&keywords=jack+the+ripper+the+final+solution

The author's main source was a man who claimed to be the son of Walter Sickert. Goodness knows how old he was in 1976 when the book came out as his "father" was born in 1860. He later admitted it was a hoax.

Possibly Stephen Knight never knew that he'd been taken for a fool as sadly he died in 1985 when he was only 33.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots Sun 19 Feb 2017, 11:26 pm

I've read Cornwalls book and found it a very good read....and very convincing.....also had the opportunity to visit an exhibition of Sickerts work.

In 2002, crime novelist Patricia Cornwell maintained that Sickert was Jack the Ripper. A psychological motivation for Sickert was said to be a congenital anomaly of his penis.
Cornwell purchased 31 of Sickert's paintings, and some in the art world have said that she destroyed one of them in a search for Sickert's DNA, but Cornwell denies having done this. She claimed she was able to scientifically prove that from one of more than 600 Ripper-letters sent to Scotland Yard and mitochondrial DNA from a letter written by Sickert belong to only one percent of the population.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Sickert

Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 22 Mar 2017, 10:16 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4337904/The-Ripper-suspect-ve-never-heard-of.html

The Ripper suspect you've never heard of: After crime writer Patricia Cornwell said 'case closed' local expert sheds fresh doubt on who really did bring terror to London's fog-bound streets
Patricia Cornwell said she had evidence to prove killer was artist Walter Sickert
Joseph Barnett was the former lover of the Ripper's last victim, Mary Jane Kelly
A Ripper historian and tour guide claims Barnett 'is the best argued case to date'

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sat 30 Sep 2017, 5:52 pm

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 29 Jan 2018, 8:02 am

Freedom
Freedom