MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

18/04/16 - Madeleine McCann detective: we still hope to find her alive

+6
Freedom
chirpyinsect
dogs don't lie
candyfloss
Bampots
Andrew
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

18/04/16 - Madeleine McCann detective: we still hope to find her alive Empty Re: 18/04/16 - Madeleine McCann detective: we still hope to find her alive

Post  Bampots Mon 18 Apr 2016, 1:58 pm

Near identical articles I think from skimming. Probably a press release ,mostly things already out there although Chief inspector Duthie adds a couple of bits along the way,the most enlightening being the six monthly reports to the home office,maybe murder,still looking at burglaries(amazing,I know). Sorry cant bring over goes missing when I try to on my phone.

Bampots

Back to top Go down

18/04/16 - Madeleine McCann detective: we still hope to find her alive Empty Re: 18/04/16 - Madeleine McCann detective: we still hope to find her alive

Post  candyfloss Mon 18 Apr 2016, 2:11 pm

Odd - no date on the Sun article that I can find, and the Standard has no date either, just says 2 hours ago.

Madeleine McCann detective: we still hope to find her alive

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann believe she could still be found alive, a senior Scotland Yard officer said today.

Detective Chief Superintendent Mick Duthie, the head of the Yard’s homicide squad, said officers were pursuing “justifiable and reasonable” leads in the investigation into the missing three year-old.

He was speaking weeks after the Home Secretary Theresa May granted police £95,000 to extend the five year old inquiry for a further six months.

Mr Duthie, who is in overall charge of the investigation Operation Grange, said: “There is ongoing work. There is always a possibility that we will find Madeleine and we hope that we will find her alive.

“That’s what we want and that’s what the family and the public want and that is why the Home Office continue to fund it. There is work that needs to be done still. “

The police chief admitted detectives did not have a “full understanding” of what happened to Madeleine or why she was taken but added: “That is why the work continues. “

He told the Standard: “There is a missing girl and if she has been murdered and if we think we have got justifiable and reasonable lines of inquiry to pursue then they should be dealt with.”

Madeleine disappeared in May 2007 just days before her fourth birthday while she was on holiday with her parents Kate, 48, and Gerry, 47, in the holiday resort of Praia da Luz in Portugal.

Scotland Yard launched an investigation codenamed Operation Grange in 2011 at the request of the family and the Home Secretary after the Pourtugese authorities closed down their inquiry into the case.

madd1a.jpg
This newly-released picture of Madeleine McCann shows the youngster dressed up as a pumpkin (Facebook)

Since then the Met detectives have taken more than 1,338 statements and investigated more than 60 persons of interest in an inquiry which is estimated to have cost £12 million.

Officers have interviewed a number of suspects, including three former workers at the Ocean Club, where the McCanns were staying, and carried out an eight day search of scrubland close to where Madeleine disappeared.

However, in October last year Home Office funded investigation was dramatically scaled back from 29 to just four officers with little sign of any breakthrough.

The McCanns, whose daughter would be turning 13 next month, feared the inquiry would be shut this year and said they would pay for private detectives to search if the police case closes.

Today Mr Duthie raised the possibility that the police inquiry could continue into next year.

He said: “The investigation continues. We go to the Home Office every six months. We have a smaller team dealing with it because we have less inquiries to deal with but we still have a job to do.

“I imagine that if we have not completed our inquiries within six months we will go back to the Home Office and ask for more money.”

He refused to give further details about the inquiry but confirmed that detectives were still examining possible links to a series of burglaries in the Algrarve area at the time Madeleine went missing.

A spokesman for the McCanns said: “Kate and Gerry remain incredibly grateful to the officers working on Operatin Grange and to the Met in general.

They have always said that in the absence of any evidence that would suggest that Madeleine has come to serious harm, it is perfectly logical to believe that their daughter may still be alive. They are encouraged by the continuing work of the Met.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/madeleine-mccann-detective-we-still-hope-to-find-her-alive-a3227561.html

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 18 Apr 2016, 2:25 pm

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots Mon 18 Apr 2016, 2:27 pm

There is a date CF and a time 18/04/2016 @13.?? ..... It does appear and disappear because of site graphics I think....also 1comment so they are open.

Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Mon 18 Apr 2016, 2:29 pm

Bampots wrote:There is a date CF and a time 18/04/2016 @13.?? ..... It does appear and disappear because of site graphics I think....also 1comment so they are open.
Thanks Bampots.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:17 pm

Who is Mr Duthie?

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:19 pm

How many more times are they going to churn out the "new" pumpkin photo?

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:19 pm

DDL: from the article:

Detective Chief Superintendent Mick Duthie, the head of the Yard’s homicide squad, said officers were pursuing “justifiable and reasonable” leads in the investigation into the missing three year-old.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:23 pm

Thank you Freedom. Would he be above or below NW I wonder? Still not a peep from her scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:24 pm

dogs don't lie wrote:Who is Mr Duthie?

Metropolitan Police to combine rape and abuse units to tackle grooming gangs

Paul Peachey @peachey_paul Friday 26 April 2013

web-scotland-yard-getty.jpg
The controversial rape investigation team at Scotland Yard is facing a major reorganisation and may change its name after a string of controversies.

The Sapphire rape command is being merged with the child abuse unit and will gain an extra 100 officers as part of a wider overhaul sparked by concerns at the extent of grooming gangs.

High-profile investigations such as Operation Yewtree, the inquiry that followed abuse allegations against Jimmy Savile, will come under the new command. Senior officers said that the Yewtree inquiry was likely to mark a sea change in the way that child sex crimes were dealt with and investigated.

The changes follow a troubled history for the Sapphire teams that has seen nine police watchdog inquiries resulting in 19 officers being disciplined, three sacked and one jailed for falsifying reports and failing to properly investigate cases.

Detective Chief Superintendent Mick Duthie, the current head of Sapphire, said: “We’ve certainly had our ups and downs and unfortunately it seems that the downs get reported.

“We’ve spoken to our partners about whether we will change the Sapphire name and some are saying get rid of it, some are saying a lot of people know what Sapphire does and if you lose that you will lose some victims’ ability to contact police.”

The reorganisation comes just four years after the last major restructuring following high-profile scandals including the case of Kirk Reid, who was able to operate as a serial sex offender for years in London because of the “shameful” failure to stop him.

Scotland Yard had failed to hold gross misconduct proceedings against three officers involved in the case of Reid. In fact two of them had been promoted.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/metropolitan-police-to-combine-rape-and-abuse-units-to-tackle-grooming-gangs-8590035.html&ved=0ahUKEwifspytvpjMAhWB2xoKHdqdCXkQFgghMAM&usg=AFQjCNE-fA6iP7481ppBAhVTt9PZEdvWJQ

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:25 pm

A mystery along the lines of who is DCI Wall,is she still around?
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:32 pm

http://www.met.police.uk/documentary/mick-duthie.htm

Mick Duthie - head of the Murder Squad

Detective Chief Superintendent Mick Duthie is head of the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command.

He has been in the Met for 28 years, worked in homicide for almost a decade and personally worked on over 50 murders.

The dramatic footage of officers desperately trying save the life of 17-year-old Alim Uddin will feature in the next episode of BBC’s The Met and shows the harsh reality of knife crime in London.

I have three children and as a parent it does hit home. You look at your kids and you think ‘what would I do if I lost one of mine?’

Unlike gun crime, it is difficult to stop the supply of knives. I go into my kitchen and there are a number of potentially lethal weapons kept there. I would hope that none of my kids would go out with one.

With the availability of knives, it’s about making people - in particular young people - aware that carrying a knife, or using a knife in violent circumstances has enormous consequences.

Because if someone carries a knife and stabs somebody else, they may not intend to kill them, but that is the reality of what can happen.

Regularly we get reports a victim suffered a single stab wound. An artery has been cut and the victim bleeds out really, really quickly and dies. That’s the reality.

You might be carrying a knife as you are worried that someone is after you and you might want to protect yourself. But that is not the way to go about it. Carrying a knife and using it will not protect you from prosecution.

Carrying and then using a knife shows you are intending to cause someone serious harm and that comes with a hefty prison sentence. If that person dies, that will result in a life sentence.

That life sentence is not just for the offender either. Families and loved ones of victims are subjected to a life without a child or a sibling or a partner.

And the offender is also someone’s child or sibling or even a parent and their incarceration will be a loss to those around them as well.

If someone you know carries a knife, they should be made to think about why are they doing this and what is the worst that could happen. What’s the worst case scenario?

London is safe compared to other cities, but if we can stop people carrying and using knives, through education, diversion or intervention, we are going to make things safer and I will be a much happier man.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:35 pm

From Sky:

http://news.sky.com/story/1680884/police-still-hope-madeleine-can-be-found-alive

Quote from Mick Duthie at the end:

"There is a missing girl and if she has been murdered and if we think we have got justifiable and reasonable lines of inquiry to pursue then they should be dealt with," he told the newspaper.

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:38 pm

Thanks everyone.
Yet he still hopes she can be found alive!

Back to top Go down

18/04/16 - Madeleine McCann detective: we still hope to find her alive Empty Re:18/04/16 Madeleine McCann detective:we still hope to find her alive.

Post  costello Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:47 pm

dogs don't lie wrote:Thank you Freedom. Would he be above or below NW I wonder? Still not a peep from her scratch

I think he is above NW ddl.
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:49 pm

Wonder in whose back garden they think they'll find her,there's no searching in Portugal is there?
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:51 pm

According to this 2013 article though, Detective Chief Superintendent Mick Duthie is Head of Metropolitan Police's sex crime unit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21586333
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:52 pm

costello wrote:
dogs don't lie wrote:Thank you Freedom. Would he be above or below NW I wonder? Still not a peep from her scratch

I think he is above NW ddl.

A DCS is 2 ranks above a DCI.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:55 pm

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:59 pm

Freedom wrote:Not after May 2013 it seems.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/michael-duthie-b5805589

Ah so he is now head of the homicide squad. But still above NW.

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Mon 18 Apr 2016, 5:10 pm

IMO they're playing a clever game.
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 18 Apr 2016, 11:52 pm

As expected I guess - 'Maddie or Maddy' is on the front page of 3 of tomorrows papers anyway.

http://news.sky.com/gallery/1681017/tuesdays-newspaper-front-pages
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots Mon 18 Apr 2016, 11:53 pm

Another one! The Mail is such a drag to copy as it is riddled with advertising spam. Main headline here with interesting juxtaposition..........'always a possibility' she will be found alive....who said it....Mick the homicide boss. Jatyk2 think we all barmy!

Madeleine McCann detectives believe the missing youngster could still be found alive
It is nearly nine years since the three-year-old went missing in Portugal
Metropolitan Police operation was recently cut from 29 officers to just four
But today homicide boss Mick Duthie insisted there is 'always a possibility' she will be found alive
He said Scotland Yard will continue to seek funding for as long as possible
By HUGO GYE FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 16:11, 18 April 2016 | UPDATED: 17:22, 18 April 2016

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3546099/Madeleine-McCann-detectives-believe-youngster-disappeared-family-holiday-Portugal-2007-alive.html#ixzz46DlyctEs
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next