Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The European Union referendum

Post  Mimi on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:33 pm

costello wrote:
Mo wrote:Mimi I'm intrigued to know who Miss Whiplash is Smile

Just a guess here Mo, Theresa May?

Good guess though. Very Happy

I`d put Amber Rudd in that category as well.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:44 pm

IMO I don`t think Boris would cut it as PM. He lacks something and I can`t think what it is.

I love Jacob Rees-Mogg.  Super intelligent, serious, witty, unphased, calm, clear and reasoned. Although he`s a Tory and has a plummy voice, I`d go for him as PM.

ETA Unfortunately (or luckily for him) JRM went to Eton but not the sort to be a member of the Bullingdon Club. He`s too much of a gentleman.

Last edited by Mimi on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:48 pm

Undecided on Boris. Always thought he was a bit of a clown myself.

No odds for Gerry McCann to be the next PM.

Andrew

Back to top Go down

Re:The European Union referendum.

Post  costello on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:52 pm

Mimi wrote:
costello wrote:

Oh Mimi I definitely agree, I saw Ms Rudd on one of the debate programmes. I remembered thinking
'god help her husband.'
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:53 pm

Brexit are already backpedalling.....

Nigel Farage admits there WON'T be extra £350m for NHS - within HOUR of Brexit result

Slogans such as "We send the EU £350 million a week, let's fund our NHS instead" and "Let's give our NHS the £350 million the EU takes every week" were emblazoned on Vote Leave campaign material.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-admits-wont-extra-8271594

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  costello on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:59 pm

Does anyone think Gisele Stuart would make a good Labour leader. I thought she was excellent in the
leave campaign.
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:04 pm

Nigel corrected that 350 million weeks ago - that stupid interviewer is twisting and making drama out of old news. So is the Mirror.

We pay £350 million and get rebates which are not decided by us but by the EU ministers, so the net is about £180 million. Nigel and other Brexiters have explained about this and apologised for any initial misrepresentation. And it could go to the NHS as well as other organisations short on funding.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:07 pm

Chatelaine iam no fan of Boris Johnson as a tory but i used to watch his stweradship of the London assembly on occasions and he  led the assembly  very ably and maturely. He wont garner my vote but perhaps like Churchill cometh the hour?

Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  costello on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:07 pm

candyfloss wrote:Brexit are already backpedalling.....

Nigel Farage admits there WON'T be extra £350m for NHS - within HOUR of Brexit result

Slogans such as "We send the EU £350 million a week, let's fund our NHS instead" and "Let's give our NHS the £350 million the EU takes every week" were emblazoned on Vote Leave campaign material.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-admits-wont-extra-8271594

Nigel Farage was asked this question on TV this morning, and straight away he said this was a bad idea
and should not have been used in the campaign. He also said a few weeks back that he felt like 'a
turkey voting for Christmas.'
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:13 pm

costello wrote:Does anyone think Gisele Stuart would make a good Labour leader. I thought she was excellent in the
leave campaign.

Yep, I agree about Gisela. Excellent.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:18 pm

costello wrote:
Mimi wrote:
costello wrote:

Oh Mimi I definitely agree, I saw Ms Rudd on one of the debate programmes. I remembered thinking
'god help her husband.'

Ha ha Very Happy  yes, poor bloke. Out of interest I looked on Wiki and they divorced in 1995.  Not surprised eh !

ETA: His name is A A Gill and from what I`ve read he sounds a nasty bit of work himself.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 10:19 pm

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 10:21 pm

candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 10:22 pm

candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 11:20 pm

I fear the interesting view point was Blairs old civil servant Jonathon Powell has been on newsnight suggesting that the vote was not for out but just for a different relationship with Europe. He says Boris always favoured an out vote followed by a renegotiation. What's he suggesting I hear you ask? Another election followed by another referendum. Assshoole! Will this be the game plan?

Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:16 am

Million sign petition for new EU referendum

7 minutes ago

A petition calling for a second referendum on UK's membership of the EU has gained more than one million signatures following the vote to leave.

The petition will be discussed in Parliament after it reached the 100,000 signatures needed to trigger a debate.

The UK voted to leave the EU by 52% to 48% in Thursday's referendum but the majority of voters in London, Scotland and Northern Ireland backed Remain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629324

candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:17 am

candyfloss wrote:Million sign petition for new EU referendum

7 minutes ago

A petition calling for a second referendum on UK's membership of the EU has gained more than one million signatures following the vote to leave.

The petition will be discussed in Parliament after it reached the 100,000 signatures needed to trigger a debate.

The UK voted to leave the EU by 52% to 48% in Thursday's referendum but the majority of voters in London, Scotland and Northern Ireland backed Remain.

Can they do this???

candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 11:25 am

Nothing would surprise me.

Isn't this similar to what happened in Ireland?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8288181.stm
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 12:07 pm

I read somewhere that this was put in place before the referendum. In May in fact. Was it that there had to be a 60/40 split on a, at least, 75% turnout, or something like that? So I assume it would have been tge same if the vote had gone 52/48 the other way.

As for your point Bampots you might have stumbled across something.
I am not suggesting this happened but based on the Brexit side advising people to vote with a pen because they feared a rigged vote. If it was deemed probable when they thought they would lose, why is it not feasible the other way?
A vote in favour of a narrow Brexit win gives the new PM a bargaining chip for better conditions which a narrow win would never have afforded them. Cameron had already failed on that front but a Remain vote was expected then. Different playing field now.
Boris gets the top job he has coveted. He is in a very small club of Tory Brexiters so could be a shoe in, whereas he might not get the leadership later in a more wide open field. Cameron falls on his sword. New referendum called for.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 1:34 pm

candyfloss wrote:
candyfloss wrote:Million sign petition for new EU referendum

7 minutes ago

Can they do this???

Even if they could I don`t think anyone would stand for it - imagine us all having to go through the last 4/5 months yet again. Surely everyone was sick to the teeth of hearing about it by 22nd June.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 2:45 pm

I've read this morning, that there's a hush meeting between the original founders of the EU in Berlin today..
Meanwhile Germany and France are designing new and FLEXIBLE exit strategies for countries, which don't want to or cannot afford to stay member ...
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  espeland on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 3:51 pm

When I signed the petition this morning, there were less than 1.1 million signatures. Now there are over 1.5 million:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

I'm not unhappy with the 'Leave' vote - this is the first time in almost 50 years of voting that I've selected the winning side!

As I said in a post a few days ago, there are several matters causing concern in many member states - most notably immigration, security and the Euro. Whilst the latter is not a major concern to us in the UK, I imagine it certainly is to Greeks.

I could see the petition being useful to us if Brussels could make meaningful changes with respect to these matters - and changes will have to be made soon if the EU is to survive.

I also think a significant portion of the Leave vote was made by people suffering from the austerity cuts made by our Government.

Whilst younger members may think that the good times are over, they may be surprised to hear that we had good times before we joined the EC. It may take some years, but we'll get there again. The sad thing is to see how our United Kingdom may well break up.

espeland

Back to top Go down

Post  joyce1938 on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 4:04 pm

I used to think ,that to gain entry to the union ,the countries had to Qualify,it seems a lot don't and didn't ,they would not have been wealthy enough,hence now those countries have to be helped etc . It seems to be a lot of money paid over from holiday makers its mainly cash so that goes untaxed.Ofcourse it may be the fact that holidays used to be very cheap years ago,kept that way by no taxation in some areas,and possably don't want to raise priced ,in fear of getting fewer people . Its just my idea ofcourse..joyce1938
joyce1938

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 4:31 pm

Great comment, re the 1.5 million signing the petition (Telegraph) on the MSN page.........

David Graham · Dumbarton Academy

The British really do now have a pathetically childish mentality nowadays.as soon as something doesn't go your way you scweem and scweem and scweem until you are thick and get what you want.there was a vote.you lost.now move on.what next....most of the crowd watching the game weren't happy with the result so we are demanding a rematch until we get the result we want.and then the opposition will do the same.and on and on and on.

candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hope on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 5:36 pm

You are right Joyce, there were supposed to be strict entry criteria especially financial and in defence. Since the euro was introduced things regulations have multiplied at a confusing rate. There is a ridiculous amount of paperwork for simple things, while border control and the issuing of visas appear much more lax.

Hope

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top