MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Grenfell Tower fire

+13
AndyB
What's_up_doc?
Freedom
dogs don't lie
candyfloss
Bampots
Mimi
Dee Coy
Châtelaine
bluebell
chrissie
Andrew
mumof6
17 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Grenfell Tower fire - Page 3 Empty Re: The Grenfell Tower fire

Post  joyce1938 Tue 20 Jun 2017, 3:11 pm

I didn't realize that ,thp fire sevice was on site already ,as the flame tore though.It said they had put out the fire in fridge ,and thought that's well done .Then shock horror,they saw what happened next.Can we really understand how they must have felt ? so sad for the brave firemen to watch, hoses that could not reach the top flats at all. joyce1938.
joyce1938
joyce1938

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Tue 20 Jun 2017, 4:24 pm

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Tue 20 Jun 2017, 7:05 pm

I have to admit, that I never had a FRIDGE on fire, nor have I ever heard about the possibility or it actually happening.
I may have lived a protected live, of course ...
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Tue 20 Jun 2017, 8:20 pm

It seems more likely that the plug could be faulty or the socket overloaded.

Whatever was the initial cause, it wasn't of course responsible for the whole block going up like Christmas decorations.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Wed 21 Jun 2017, 6:52 pm

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 22 Jun 2017, 10:02 am

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Sat 24 Jun 2017, 12:11 am

What's_up_doc? wrote:I absolutely agree, poster that this is a dreadful tragedy and if it is found that there has been incompetence, or neglect - or if safety concerns were ignored then this needs to be exposed.  That said, people exploiting tragedy for their own political agendas are causing greater division and are not helping. As I said in my first post on this subject, I saw a placard which read 'First you bombed us now you burn us alive.' If an angry white make had carried a placard blaming Muslims in general for the recent terrorist attacks there would have been universal condemnation and outrage - and quite rightly so because division is not helping anyone. The far left are as dangerous as the far right and there is clear evidence that the far left are trying to hijack genuine community anger and turn this into civil unrest, IMO. Where I live we have very good, moderate Mosques, infact the Iman at our largest Mosque is the man who invited BNP protesters who were demonstrating outside the Mosque inside for tea.  We need people like that - not people who are feeling division and spreading conspiracy theories. I fear this tragedy is going to become like the twins towers,which Islamist extremists quickly spread conspiracy theories about, blaming it on Jews. Already, people are saying on social media that these people were not rescued because they were largely Muslim. The placard I saw affirms that narrative, that some people believe this is part of a western conspiracy
Finally, I just want to say that the stories of the individuals and families have been lost in all this. The deeply sad stories of people who came here for a better life which have ended so cruelly. I've heard more about cladding than I've heard about them and the press have been so busy finger pointing, it's as if the victims are of secondary importance to let's see who we can blame. Can you imagine what would happen if the media took the same approach to terrorist attacks, desperately looking for someone to blame for radicalising these young men, finger pointing at those who let them return from Syria? If course they wouldn't do This because they know it would be irresponsible. This did not happen after the terrorist attacks, the mood was sombre and the focus was very much in the victims and I think we saw ourselves at our best, whereas this tragedy has just brought out the worst in people.

What happened had nothing to do with that utterly stupid media label 'terror' which many of our politicians and indeed media love to throw around. It is to do with institutionalised corruption, stupid arrogant fat cats with lack of accountability...and frankly greed...
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dee Coy Sat 24 Jun 2017, 10:16 am

Spot on, poster.

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sat 24 Jun 2017, 11:44 am

I'm seeing reports of a huge fire in Croydon, 10 cars ablaze, yet nothing on Sky or BBC yet?

It's in Evening Standard on MSN news.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sat 24 Jun 2017, 11:46 am

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/crodyon-fire-ten-cars-alight-in-huge-blaze-sending-smoke-billowing-across-south-london-a3572326.html

Croydon fire: Ten cars alight in huge blaze sending smoke billowing across south London

38 mins ago|

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sat 24 Jun 2017, 12:49 pm

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Sat 24 Jun 2017, 12:55 pm

I read today, that at least 5 apartment buildings have been evacuated, because they had the same cladding, which is highly inflamable.
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Tue 27 Jun 2017, 2:58 pm

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Thu 29 Jun 2017, 4:59 pm

Hope they throw away the key .....

Man who falsely claimed he lost family members in Grenfell fire arrested

http://news.met.police.uk/news/man-who-falsely-claimed-he-lost-family-members-in-grenfell-fire-arrested-249218

Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Service have arrested a 52-year-old man on suspicion of fraudulently attempting to gain money and housing by pretending he had lost family members in the Grenfell Tower fire.

The man came forward in the immediate aftermath and was assigned family liaison officers after he claimed that he lost his wife and son in the fire.

He attempted to claim financial support stating he had lost all his property.

A police investigation started after it became apparent that there were inconsistencies in the man's stories. Police spoke to nearby residents of the flat within Grenfell Tower who confirmed that the man did not live at the address.

Relatives of the resident of the flat the man claimed to live in have been spoken to by their family liaison officers and made aware of this investigation.

Officers have also traced the address in Bromley where the man was living at the time of the fire, which has been independently evidenced. It has also been established that the man does not have a wife or child.

The investigation has been into fraud. It is not linked to sub-letting or immigration matters, and detectives believe the man was working alone.

Detective Superintendent Fiona McCormack, said:

"The distress and suffering caused to so many families and loved ones that night is harrowing.

"That night people lost their homes, all their possessions and tragically their families and loved ones. The focus of all of us should be on supporting victims and families, recovering loved ones from Grenfell Tower and investigating the fire.

"I have made it clear that we are not interested in investigating things such as sub-letting or immigration matters as I want their help - and do not want there to be any hidden victims of this tragedy.

"However, we will robustly investigate any information about anyone who seeks to capitalise on the suffering of so many."

The man was arrested on the evening of Wednesday, 28 June, and is in custody at a west London police station, but not in the borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

He was arrested on suspicion of fraud.
chrissie
chrissie

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 29 Jun 2017, 5:09 pm

Bloody hell. Some awful and strange people about. Evil or Very Mad
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Thu 29 Jun 2017, 5:11 pm

You can say that again ... !
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Thu 29 Jun 2017, 5:13 pm

There's always someone who will try to take advantage from a tragedy. I heard that there were some claims after 9/11 for people who'd never existed.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Fri 30 Jun 2017, 3:29 pm

Someone has to take responsibility for this tragedy.  Let us hope noone can hide.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40455363

Grenfell Tower fire: Downing Street criticises council over aborted meeting

Downing Street has rebuked Kensington and Chelsea Council over its decision to adjourn its first cabinet meeting since the Grenfell Tower fire.

The cabinet had tried to hold Thursday's meeting behind closed doors but was forced by a court order to hold it in public.
However it ended after just 20 minutes.#

A Number 10 spokesman said: "The High Court ruled that the meeting should be open and we would have expected the council to respect that."
Council leaders claimed an open meeting would "prejudice" the forthcoming public inquiry.

Angry protests followed after the abandoned meeting, which Labour councillor Robert Atkinson, whose ward includes Grenfell Tower, branded a "fiasco".
He shouted: "An absolute fiasco, this is why I am calling for your resignation."

Mr Atkinson, the Labour group leader on Kensington and Chelsea Council, told the BBC he was "ashamed" of the council
He accused council leaders of "hiding from residents, they have been hiding from backbench councillors for over a week".

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has demanded the resignation of the entire council leadership.
The Labour mayor said the council's decision to scrap the meeting "beggars belief".

Nicholas Paget-Brown has publicly apologised to survivors
Before the meeting Mr Paget-Brown apologised for the authority's response to the Grenfell Tower tragedy, in which at least 80 people died.
The Conservative councillor told BBC London he would not resign in the foreseeable future.

So far the only person to resign has been the chief executive of Kensington and Chelsea council, Nicholas Holgate.

In a statement released after the cabinet meeting was adjourned, Mr Paget-Brown said: "We are under sustained media criticism for a slow reaction to the fire, non-visibility and for failing to invest in North Kensington.

"I believe that many of these criticisms need to be challenged and over time they will be, but I can think of nothing more demeaning to the memory of those lost and missing in the fire than seeking the resolution of political scores."

Back to top Go down

Post  dannii Fri 30 Jun 2017, 7:51 pm

Nicholas Paget-Brown has now stepped down.

Good.
dannii
dannii

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Tue 04 Jul 2017, 11:14 am

dannii wrote:Nicholas Paget-Brown has now stepped down.

Good.

Indeed, I doubt he will be missed.

This is an infuriating article - I know I shouldn't ever read anything in the Daily Fail - but in a roundabout way I think the reporter/s have made their point.

----------

Catherine Faulks was defending the council's attempts to hold a private cabinet meeting on the disaster, initially citing public order concerns, and described press attempts to report on it by obtaining a High Court order as 'a very clever stunt'.

What a stupid comment - how dare she trivialize the situation when so many people have lost their lives?

Ms Faulks told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: 'The reason we had given primarily to have the meeting in private was that we were worried there was a public order issue which had been already demonstrated by the invasion that happened at the council - which, by the way, when you say we weren't affected, the whole council chamber had to be evacuated for the whole afternoon on the Friday after the tragedy.'

Oh diddums!! Poor little you - how terrible - the whole chamber evacuated for the whole afternoon - how terrible. Perhaps the council should set up a fund to provide tea and biscuits for that afternoon?

As he stepped down, Conservative Mr Paget-Brown said: 'I have to accept my share of responsibility for these perceived failings.

Haha! So arrogant. How about the failings which are not 'perceived' but are in fact a reality?

In particular my decision to accept legal advice that I should not compromise the public inquiry by having an open discussion in public yesterday has itself become a political story.
'And it cannot be right that this should become the focus of attention when so many are dead or still unaccounted for.

Really Mr Paget-Brown. Unfortunately, how ever much you might want to, you cannot take the politics out of this tragedy.

ETA: And why might this be Mr Paget-Brown? Anything to do with why you stepped down?: so many are dead or still unaccounted for.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4656656/Kensington-councillor-DEFENDS-decision-meet-secret.html#ixzz4lr8v4A4o
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4656656/Kensington-councillor-DEFENDS-decision-meet-secret.html
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Tue 04 Jul 2017, 11:35 am

Three years ago the organisation wrote to Mr Paget Brown, begging him to investigate the actions of the council's planning department and the tenancy management organisation, a private company created to oversee the housing at Grenfell Tower.

Why create a private company to oversee and 'manage' the tenants? Why not have the tenants managing the housing?

I wonder how much rent the council got from the block each week/month?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4656656/Kensington-councillor-DEFENDS-decision-meet-secret.html#ixzz4lrFDVehL
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Tue 04 Jul 2017, 12:21 pm

Two bed flat advertised to rent in Grenville Tower on the 18th floor -  £2,318 per month. Price reduced on Rightmove 12th September 2016.

-----------

The flat is on 18th floor of the newly renovated Grenfell Tower with panoramic views of London land marks.

Available to move in from 09 October, 2016
- Minimum tenancy term is 12 months
- Maximum number of tenants is 3
- No DSS / Housing Benefit Applicants
- No Students
- No Pets, sorry
- No Smokers
- Not Suitable for Families / Children

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-56441398.html
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Tue 04 Jul 2017, 12:33 pm

poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Tue 04 Jul 2017, 6:41 pm

The link about the alleged fraudster that Chrissie posted on 29th June has now gone. Here's another one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/30/grenfell-fraudster-faked-family-death-get-10000-two-weeks-court/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fbl
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Tue 04 Jul 2017, 7:43 pm

Freedom wrote:The link about the alleged fraudster that Chrissie posted on 29th June has now gone. Here's another one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/30/grenfell-fraudster-faked-family-death-get-10000-two-weeks-court/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fbl

My goodness - he looks untrustworthy.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next