MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hillsborough

+10
Andrew
chirpyinsect
chrissie
candyfloss
seahorse
Guinea Pig
mad world
Châtelaine
costello
bluebell
14 posters

Go down

Hillsborough Empty Hillsborough

Post  bluebell Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:16 pm

This may not be the correct place for this but, goodness isn't the news dreadful at present.   Judges, Police Superintendents :         Sad
---------
Former chief superintendent David Duckenfield was in charge of policing at Hillsborough stadium in 19
Hillsborough Inquests

Chief says 'mistakes caused disaster'

The Hillsborough police match commander has agreed his failure to close a tunnel "was the direct cause of the deaths of 96 people".

David Duckenfield also accepted he "froze" during the afternoon of the 1989 football disaster.

Mr Duckenfield was giving evidence for a sixth day at the new Hillsborough inquests in Warrington, Cheshire.

He was being questioned by Paul Greaney QC on behalf of the Police Federation of England and Wales.

Mr Duckenfield, now 70, had earlier denied claims he "bottled it" and "panicked" as the disaster unfolded.

'Under pressure'
The jury was told the former chief superintendent had at least three minutes to "consider the consequences" of opening an exit gate at the stadium, as a crowd of fans built up outside.

Mr Greaney suggested a child of "average intelligence" could have realised what would happen when the gate, which allowed up to 2,000 fans to enter, was opened.

But Mr Duckenfield said he did "not think of it on the day" because of the pressure he was under.

Hillsborough police match commander David Duckenfield

Back to top Go down

Hillsborough Empty Hillsborough

Post  costello Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:27 pm

An absolute disgrace,too much swept under the carpet. Would we be where we are today if it wasn't without the relentless efforts of the campaigners. I don't think so.
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Hillsborough Empty Re: Hillsborough

Post  Châtelaine Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:30 pm

I'm sorry, but ... which one of you would have taken the right decision within minutes.
It's not the police IMO, but the alcohol fulled hooligans, who created a disaster.
The real problem, IMO again, is that at that time no one was taking or could take responsibility for something so difficult to oversee.
As has happened many times and again at major occasions. Remember e.g.the disaster at a fest at Duisburg...?
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  mad world Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:08 am

Rather than a copper taking blame...i'd rather they were asked"who authorised the lies to the sun newspaper and how high up did orders come from to cover up what happened ie taylor report,no safety certificate issued for hillsborough due to previous problems at leppings road end". All the rest is extraneous information imo
mad world
mad world

Back to top Go down

Post  Guinea Pig Wed 06 Apr 2016, 3:38 pm

The jury is now out at the Hillsborough inquests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35979802#"
Guinea Pig
Guinea Pig

Back to top Go down

Hillsborough Empty 96 football fans who died in 1989 disaster WERE unlawfully killed

Post  seahorse Tue 26 Apr 2016, 12:57 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Tears of joy for Hillsborough families as jury rules the 96 football fans who died in 1989 disaster WERE unlawfully killed - and police WERE to blame for the deadly crush

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3558745/Hillsborough-inquests-jury-deliver-verdict.html

Police chief whose actions led to the fatal crush at Hillsborough then lied about it could now face criminal charges

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3557714/Police-chiefs-actions-led-Hillsborough-tragedy-Commanders-lied-96-dead-fans-fabricated-evidence-biggest-cover-history.html
seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Tue 26 Apr 2016, 1:06 pm

Good news to hear the families are finally vindicated, and those responsible may now face justice.  Sooner or later justice always comes.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Tue 26 Apr 2016, 1:23 pm

Pleased the truth is out and the families have justice. I'm massive Arsenal fan but footy fans are united on this one.
chrissie
chrissie

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Tue 26 Apr 2016, 9:34 pm

Hillsborough Cg_rMUVWUAEakFR
Remembering the 96 Hillsborough victims...........

Hillsborough Cg-AJh0WYAIKFZ0

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 09 May 2016, 8:32 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07bgnkn/hillsborough

Hillsborough is an in-depth, moving account of Britain's worst sporting disaster, in which 96 men, women and children were killed, hundreds injured and thousands traumatised. Beginning with that fateful day, 15 April 1989, the film details the horror of the tragedy, told through the experiences of those directly involved: fans, survivors, family members and police officers. Many speak publicly for the first time.
It captures the horror of the crush on the terraces, revealing the prejudices held by the police towards football fans. It exposes the police commanders' abject failure in leadership as the tragedy unfolded, and their deceit and determination to deflect responsibility for their failures in crowd management onto those who survived.
The documentary exposes the lack of dignity shown to bereaved families as they arrived in Sheffield to identify their loved ones laid out in body bags on a gymnasium floor. It considers the impact of the orchestrated vilification of fans in the media and, as a consequence, their public condemnation. By interviewing those involved, it recounts the 27-year campaign for justice fought on behalf of the 96 who died.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Mon 09 May 2016, 9:26 am

I will have to work up the courage to watch this. Like a lot of you here, I remember watching the tragedy as it unfolded and, whilst I obviously felt deep sorrow for the victims and families, I am ashamed to say I believed the msm version of where the blame might lie.
My excuse is I was a busy mother. I watched the news and read the papers, then life moved on . There had been football riots and hooliganism aplenty in the past.
Tragedies happen once in a while which touch our lives. Our next door neighbours lost a nephew in the Ibrox disaster, A friend had just been on the Herald of free Enterprise 2 weeks before it sank and 11 of my American colleagues died on 9/11.
In my lifetime, there have been many such events, Piper Alpha, Bradford City fire, Heyschell, and in almost every case human error was to blame. But often evil has been at the heart of the loss of life. A bad decision was made that day which had tragic consequences. That is something I can feel some sympathy for. What is unforgivable, are the lies and smears visited upon 96 people who had their memory trashed to cover for that error of judgement. And the British press should think black burning shame on themselves for perpetuating the myth.
Rarely have people fought so long, and so bravely to clear their loved ones names. They did it with dignity and courage in the face of huge obstacles.
We should all watch the film to remind ourselves that sometimes good can prevail.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 24 Nov 2016, 3:00 pm

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Hillsborough Empty Hillsborough campaigner refuses OBE

Post  bluebell Thu 29 Dec 2016, 11:43 pm

Admirable.  So good to have people with principles, great example to others.

Hillsborough campaigner Phil Scraton refuses OBE

Prof Scraton received the Freedom of the City of Liverpool in September

Hillsborough campaigner Prof Phil Scraton has turned down an OBE in the Queen's New Year Honours list.

The author, who led the Hillsborough Independent Panel's research team, said he could not receive an honour in protest "at those who remained unresponsive" to help families and survivors affected by the disaster.
Ninety-six people died following a crush at Hillsborough on 15 April 1989.
In April, an inquest jury concluded the fans were unlawfully killed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-38457928

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 29 Dec 2016, 11:50 pm

I was reading about this before. Very admirable indeed.

And then you get this absolute crock:

http://news.sky.com/story/fury-as-victoria-beckham-reveals-obe-honour-10711041

What's all that about. Posh spice getting an OBE.... scratch

I hope she gets it rescinded for not keeping her trap shut and bragging about it.

(sorry to hijack your thread with this garbage)
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Thu 29 Dec 2016, 11:55 pm

Posh Spice getting an OBE affraid Hadn't seen that, what an absolute disgrace.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:29 am

bluebell wrote:Admirable.  So good to have people with principles, great example to others.

Hillsborough campaigner Phil Scraton refuses OBE

Prof Scraton received the Freedom of the City of Liverpool in September

Hillsborough campaigner Prof Phil Scraton has turned down an OBE in the Queen's New Year Honours list.

The author, who led the Hillsborough Independent Panel's research team, said he could not receive an honour in protest "at those who remained unresponsive" to help families and survivors affected by the disaster.
Ninety-six people died following a crush at Hillsborough on 15 April 1989.
In April, an inquest jury concluded the fans were unlawfully killed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-38457928

Jolly good. All the best people refuse these silly honours. Why does Queenie hand them out, as if she`s someone special that can bestow an honour on someone.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Fri 30 Dec 2016, 6:49 am

Phil Scraton is my new hero.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 28 Jun 2017, 11:39 am

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Wed 28 Jun 2017, 11:58 am

They had no choice than to prosecute these men. Not for the tragic errors that were made on that day but for the lies and cover up that ensued and the smearing of all that was left of the ones who died; their good name.

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Wed 28 Jun 2017, 4:23 pm

That is why Grange can't be a cover up.
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 28 Jun 2017, 5:28 pm

Heisenburg wrote:That is why Grange can't be a cover up.

Exactly, H.

Exactly.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof6 Wed 28 Jun 2017, 6:23 pm

Can any trial after all this time be fair?

How could anyone remember exactly what happened after all this time? Or who said what?

At the time there were allegations that the police actually destroyed witness statements, I am not sure whether that is true, but if it was, is it possible to rely on memory?
mumof6
mumof6

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Wed 28 Jun 2017, 6:27 pm

There must be documents not seen in the inquests,the CPS only go to court I believe where there is a fair chance of a prosecution.
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 28 Jun 2017, 6:38 pm

I don't think the CPS would take this one further unless they were absolutely convinced they had all the evidence in place to successfully prosecute the named individuals..
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sun 14 Apr 2019, 11:31 am

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down