MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! - HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS

+27
Neveronasunday
ffranco
AndyB
Satsuma
Antonia
Dee Coy
bluebell
TheTruthWillOut
Mimi
chrissie
Châtelaine
Heisenburg
seahorse
Poe
Popcorn
froggy
Bampots
Inca
Admin
poster
Freedom
chirpyinsect
Mo
costello
dogs don't lie
Andrew
candyfloss
31 posters

Page 8 of 23 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 23  Next

Go down

GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! -  HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS - Page 8 Empty Re: GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! - HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS

Post  candyfloss Wed 20 Apr 2016, 11:29 am

Oh I say the Star has now got the story of GA sueing the McCanns

Daily Star Verified account  ‏@Daily_Star · 6m6 minutes ago

Maddie McCann's parents to be sued by ex police chief after book ban is overturned http://bit.ly/1NAV4Z6

Maddie McCann's parents to be sued by ex police chief after book ban is overturned

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/509470/Madeleine-McCann-Police-chief-Goncalo-Amaral-sue-Gerry-Kate-McCann-Portugal-court

A FORMER police chief is planning to sue the parents of Madeleine McCann as a second blow in days for the family.
Gerry and Kate McCann will already be reeling after seeing their £400,000 (€500,000) year-old libel win revoked by Portuguese appeal judges.

Former detective Goncalo Amaral saw a ban of his hurtful book "The Truth of the Lie" also overturned in Lisbon this week.

And now the author – who accuses the pair of faking the abduction of the missing toddler – is threatening them with another lawsuit.

His lawyer announced after the libel U-turn he would sue the McCanns for damages, claiming the couple’s long-running court fight had cost his client money and harmed his reputation.

Miguel Cruz Rodrigues told respected Portuguese daily Expresso: “We are going to advance with a compensation claim against the McCanns.

“My client has suffered years of prejudice and losses.”

Former detective Goncalo Amaral won his appeal in Lisbon earlier this weekREUTERS

OVERTURNED: Former detective Goncalo Amaral won his appeal in Lisbon earlier this week

“We are going to advance with a compensation claim against the McCanns.”

Goncalo Amaral's lawyer

He added today: “The Lisbon appeal court decision reinforces our aim to go for a claim against the McCanns for damages over what have been years of financial losses in which my client’s good name has been called into question.”

His claims came just hours after Guerra e Paz, editor of ‘The Truth of the Lie’, announced it would try to rush out new copies of Amaral’s book by next week.

The nightmare scenario for the McCanns paves the way for the book, which Kate McCann has described in court as “devastating and distressing” to go on sale throughout Europe.

The appeal judges said Amaral’s right to express his opinions overruled any duty of confidentiality he had as an ex-police chief heading the Madeleine McCann investigation.

Amaral is now looking to sue the McCanns for damagesREUTERS

THREAT: Amaral is now looking to sue the McCanns for damages

The retired detective, removed as head of the investigation into Madeleine’s May 3 2007 disappearance after criticising British detectives, had always denied defamation.

The McCanns’ Portuguese lawyer Isabel Duarte has however already said she will fight the libel U-turn by appealing to the country’s Supreme Court.

Ms Duarte said: “This decision was an appreciation of the law and not the facts.

“We can appeal to the Supreme Court which we will do as we have instructions from our clients.”

A friend of the couple said they were “seething” over the appeal ruling.

Spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: “The process is not over yet. It is a matter for Kate and Gerry’s lawyers to deal with.”

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! -  HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS - Page 8 Empty Re: GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! - HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS

Post  candyfloss Wed 20 Apr 2016, 11:49 am

Now in the SUN

The Sun Newsdesk
‏@SunNewsdesk
Ex-police chief who claimed McCanns 'covered up Maddie's death' is taking them to court http://thesun.uk/6017BlPUF

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! -  HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS - Page 8 Empty Re:GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL!

Post  costello Wed 20 Apr 2016, 12:01 pm

Janice Ward @1 Janice Ward - 26 min.

#Amaral #McCann

portugal resident @ portugal resident

Appeal court judges reject McCann ' libel win' ift.tt/1rfEo4x.
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 20 Apr 2016, 12:08 pm

Now in the MIRROR..

Daily Mirror Verified account 
‏@DailyMirror
Police chief to 'sue Kate and Gerry McCann' after winning libel case http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/police-chief-sue-madeleine-mccanns-7793819

GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! -  HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS - Page 8 CgexXdQWsAAGCOy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://maddiemccannmystery.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Satsuma Wed 20 Apr 2016, 12:14 pm

candyfloss wrote:It hasn't proved to be libellous in a court of law here has it?  Who is to say what we can and cannot read, unless courts say otherwise surely?
Nobody is free to say what they like under English law, candy.  However, despite claims of a whitewash on here and elsewhere,  the case is still very much alive and a book like Amaral's could create problems regarding a "fair" trial ever taking place. If it got to court, there would be legal arguments leading to further delays and potentially even total collapse. For that reason it's better that it isn't published or even sold in the UK, though a defence lawyer might still argue that  jury members may have seen it on the internet
Satsuma
Satsuma

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 20 Apr 2016, 12:16 pm

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 20 Apr 2016, 12:18 pm

Satsuma wrote:
candyfloss wrote:It hasn't proved to be libellous in a court of law here has it?  Who is to say what we can and cannot read, unless courts say otherwise surely?
Nobody is free to say what they like under English law, candy.  However, despite claims of a whitewash on here and elsewhere,  the case is still very much alive and a book like Amaral's could create problems regarding a "fair" trial ever taking place. If it got to court, there would be legal arguments leading to further delays and potentially even total collapse. For that reason it's better that it isn't published or even sold in the UK, though a defence lawyer might still argue that  jury members may have seen it on the internet

Maybe, but that is true of every case that comes to court these days, with blogs, newpapers, and social media like twitter and facebook.. every case is discussed these days, so I don't think that can now be realistically used. We are in a total different age now, there is no way things can be kept quiet, or hidden.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://maddiemccannmystery.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Wed 20 Apr 2016, 12:31 pm

Mirror paper edition still describing Goncalo Amaral as bungling..

GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! -  HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS - Page 8 Cge0THvXIAESwg8

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Wed 20 Apr 2016, 12:45 pm

HuffPost UK Verified account  ‏@HuffPostUK  · 8m8 minutes ago  

Book claiming McCann parents involved in Maddie disappearance to go back on sale http://huff.to/1YGqgvR

GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! -  HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS - Page 8 Cge6ElOWEAAkc48

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  espeland Wed 20 Apr 2016, 1:17 pm

What a wonderful few days!  bounce

We've been waiting so long and now things are really changing.

I was amazed that people on LBC - including the host - know so little about the case.

Presumably the McCanns will have to appear in a Portuguese court to answer Dr Amaral's claims. That'll be interesting bounce
espeland
espeland

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 20 Apr 2016, 1:27 pm

I wonder how hacked off Gerry is feeling right now. He looked incredibly hacked off talking about hacked off last week.

The sphygmomanometer will certainly be hacked off. And probably broke.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Wed 20 Apr 2016, 1:30 pm

Andrew wrote:I wonder how hacked off Gerry is feeling right now. He looked incredibly hacked off talking about hacked off last week.

I had to look that up Andrew, thought you were being rude Smile Laughing It's a blood pressure gauge:lol!:

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Wed 20 Apr 2016, 2:00 pm

Andrew wrote:I wonder how hacked off Gerry is feeling right now. He looked incredibly hacked off talking about hacked off last week.

Not sure I'd want to be working in the same department as him today Laughing
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 20 Apr 2016, 2:18 pm

I think he`s probably been allocated his own padded room, for a number of years now, to do some 'research', with a pack of crayons.

Imo.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Wed 20 Apr 2016, 4:07 pm

Its said the McCann are appealing but does it necessarily follow that the appeal will be aloud? depending on the wording I'd imagine.
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Wed 20 Apr 2016, 4:14 pm

[quote="Heisenburg"]Its said the McCann are appealing but does it necessarily follow that the appeal will be aloud? depending on the wording I'd imagine.[/quote]

They certainly don't appeal to me. BOOM BOOM Laughing
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 20 Apr 2016, 4:37 pm

I can't see how they could possibly 'win' an appeal now.

I should imagine they've got a bit of time (30 days?), for Isawotsit to rustle up something.

That's if she doesn't do one.

Anybody know what sort of sums we're talking about in regards to what the Mc's potentially need to cough up......
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! -  HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS - Page 8 Empty Re:GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL!

Post  costello Wed 20 Apr 2016, 4:55 pm

Heisenburg wrote:Its said the McCann are appealing but does it necessarily follow that the appeal will be aloud? depending on the wording I'd imagine.

It doesn't automatically follow that their appeal would be accepted Heisenburg. Didn't we
have to wait a while to hear if Dr. Amarals would be heard.
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  Antonia Wed 20 Apr 2016, 4:59 pm

I presume they'd have to find a point of law where they claim the judges erred and that point would perhaps have to have wider public implications. The judges took so long to make the decision, you'd hope they covered all bases as it were, and left no weakness to be attacked.

Now I don't think Sr Amaral can pursue the FUND (the £750,000K there a year ago may have been moved anyway) as the McCanns do not OWN the company, they are merely 2 out of 6 directors. They could, I presume, ask their fellow directors to authorise assisting them from the FUND with the legal fees but they are hardly likely to do this.
Sr Amaral would have to go after their assets ie Rothley Towers (is there still a mortgage on it?) and their earned income. gerry would have a decent income and could set up a standing order. Kate could stop 'running' the FUND and get a real job! But I wouldn't want her as my GP.....

Perhaps one of their wealthy backers would help. But how many are still on board? We must be looking at over a million in legal fees.

Trading down from Rothley Towers, maybe even moving in with granny and grandad might be on the cards.....OMG!

Antonia
Antonia

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Wed 20 Apr 2016, 5:17 pm

I doubt they have many backers now. Why would anyone want to back them at this stage? No one with half a brain cell believes their story. If Dr Amaral is right that that means the fund is a fraud. So that would make them criminals.

No wonder they are 'seeting' because the whole foundation of their story is undermined by Dr Amaral  winning this case. If it can ever be 'proven' beyond reasonable doubt that Dr Amaral is right (and the dog evidence is pretty compelling, imo) then that makes them guilty of quite a number of crimes.

One would be the concealment of their daughter's body (if it is true she died in a tragic accident but I personally think it is much more sinister than that and police have at times talked of this being a murder investigation)  and a spectacular fraud in the shape of  The Fund. The Fund was not set up to find a dead child and in any event I think Gerry has made quite sure that there will be no evidence in that respect: "Find the body and prove we killed her."

Both Kate and Gerry hang on to the mantra that there is no evidence that Madeleine is dead. I suspect this is because they did a damn good job of not leaving any evidence.

The dogs were their downfall, imo. As doctors they would have had knowledge of how to store a body and would understand forensics up to a point. But I think they failed to understand how accurate dogs are. And although, imo, they laid a number of false trails (rotten food in open fridge in empty apartment 5J/smelly nappies in boot/bloody meat in boot/Sean liking sea bass which can be mistaken for cadaverine/Madeleine had a nose bleed in apartment 5A) the dogs didn't fall for any of it, imo. TM thought that they could out-smart the Portuguese sardine-munching police and also the dogs.

As this Dr Amaral's spectacular victory demonstrates, imo, they failed.

I think they will disappear with their tails between their legs.

They should have made 'no comment' because imagine how much merriment the press and public would get from seeing a photo of the gruesome twosome 'seething' over the comeuppance.

They must realize they have lost public support and are now figures of fun.

Still, I do feel sorry for the twins....
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Wed 20 Apr 2016, 5:48 pm

I think they will say they are appealing because they know it will not be allowed. That way it looks as though they are full of righteous indignation. Saving face.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mo Wed 20 Apr 2016, 5:58 pm

I'm sure I've read somewhere today that the reason the Appeal Court took so long was because the Macs/Duarte appealed against one of the judges who was dealing with the appeal. Apparently the judge (can't remember her name) also sat on the appeal for Snr Amaral's book which was overturned.
Mo
Mo

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Wed 20 Apr 2016, 6:00 pm

Just been reading elsewhere and a twitter reference that the McCann wanted one of the judges removed prior to the hearing of the appeal.

Miss Vivien
‏@vivienmiss

@winnower1 @1matthewwright1 So the #McCann s tried to have one of the judges removed.
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  gbwales Wed 20 Apr 2016, 6:03 pm

Absolutely delighted at the court's decision.
The first step towards justice for Dr Amaral.
A next move of suing the McCanns sounds great. That and some kind of proper closure on the actual investigation would be brilliant. Then maybe Madeleine can get some justice too, along with the man who did so much and lost so much standing up for her and trying to find her.
gbwales
gbwales

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 23 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 23  Next