MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! - HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS

+27
Neveronasunday
ffranco
AndyB
Satsuma
Antonia
Dee Coy
bluebell
TheTruthWillOut
Mimi
chrissie
Châtelaine
Heisenburg
seahorse
Poe
Popcorn
froggy
Bampots
Inca
Admin
poster
Freedom
chirpyinsect
Mo
costello
dogs don't lie
Andrew
candyfloss
31 posters

Page 10 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 23  Next

Go down

GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! -  HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS - Page 10 Empty Re: GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! - HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS

Post  Dee Coy Wed 20 Apr 2016, 9:30 pm

Very interesting, Mo.

Back to top Go down

GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! -  HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS - Page 10 Empty Re: GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! - HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS

Post  Freedom Thu 21 Apr 2016, 9:33 am

According to this update in the Portugal Resident, there will be action taken against the McCanns.

It couldn't happen to nicer people! 

UPDATE WEDNESDAY: Expresso has revealed that Amaral's legal team does indeed intend to press ahead with a counter-suit against the McCanns.
“We are going to advance with a compensation claim against the McCanns", lawyer Miguel Cruz Rodrigues has told the paper. “My client has suffered years of prejudice and losses.”
Amarl will be seeking "damages for what have been years of financial losses" in which his "good name has been called into question,” said the lawyer.

See more at: http://portugalresident.com/appeal-court-judges-reject-mccanns-%E2%80%98libel-win%E2%80%99#sthash.OmpXe7uf.dpuf
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mo Thu 21 Apr 2016, 9:46 am

There appears to be a post from PeterMac on the Craig Murray blog: I've always wondered what his thoughts were on the high level cover up!

PM
April 20, 2016 at 23:30
There are, as you say, many strange elements in this case. Most people focus on the reported time and date of the disappearance as 10pm 3/5/7, and talk about negligence, and bad parenting. Whilst that might be correct, there are more concrete possibilities, which involve consideration of the evidence – for example human cadaverine only developing after – say – 2 hours. And the impossibility of the iconic Last Photo’s having been taken at lunchtime on 3/5/7 because, amongst other reasons, the weather was simply WRONG. It can only have been taken at Solar zenith on Sunday 29/4/7. The strange issue of the parents telling close family and friends, who then dutifully reported what they had been told to the press – independently and almost identically – that the shutters had been forced/ Jemmied/ Smashed / broken . . when in fact they were untouched, and so much more, lead to a suspicion that the whole truth has never been told. I share go r belief that there is nothing “high level sinister’ here. Just a tragic accident, a series of bizarre and stupid decisions, and then a strange intervention by a strange government.
Mo
Mo

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Thu 21 Apr 2016, 9:50 am

Freedom wrote:According to this update in the Portugal Resident, there will be action taken against the McCanns.

It couldn't happen to nicer people! 

UPDATE WEDNESDAY: Expresso has revealed that Amaral's legal team does indeed intend to press ahead with a counter-suit against the McCanns.
“We are going to advance with a compensation claim against the McCanns", lawyer Miguel Cruz Rodrigues has told the paper. “My client has suffered years of prejudice and losses.”
Amarl will be seeking "damages for what have been years of financial losses" in which his "good name has been called into question,” said the lawyer.

See more at: http://portugalresident.com/appeal-court-judges-reject-mccanns-%E2%80%98libel-win%E2%80%99#sthash.OmpXe7uf.dpuf

Even if he won his case in a Portuguese court, would there be any chance of a pay-out? McCanns are not likely to have any assets in Portugal
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Bampots Thu 21 Apr 2016, 11:28 am

So does that mean as long as you live in Uk,lets say,you can if you have reason sue anyone resident in another country in Europe with assured payout and no risk of paying anything if they win against you?

Bampots

Back to top Go down

Post  Poe Thu 21 Apr 2016, 11:33 am

Mimi wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccanns-parents-threaten-legal-7797363

Can they do this ?  Who the bl**dy h*** do they think they are.

I don't think that any book publishers would be prepared to take the risk but big newspapers are struggling to stay afloat and have very little left to lose.

All it takes is one editor, knowing his paper's days are numbered, to decide to make one last ditch attempt for death or glory by publishing extracts of "the book they tried to ban" and the details are out there for everyone to read. If the McCanns try to take legal action, that paper closes down, as it would have done anyway, and the rest of the media turn on them for destroying our right to freedom of speech.

But even if the book isn't published over here in any form, the McCanns have handled this situation terribly and their petulant lashing out over the last week (I'm including Gerry's Hacked Off tantrum) has destroyed the thin veneer of victim-hood which stopped many people looking at the case too closely.

IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Thu 21 Apr 2016, 11:46 am

Bampots wrote:So does that mean as long as you live in Uk,lets say,you can if you have reason sue anyone resident in another country in Europe with assured payout and no risk of paying anything if they win against you?

On the face of it, that might be so, though I've read that both sides to pay most of the legal cost up front, so maybe its just the award that might never be paid.
If Amaral sued them in a UK court and won, this wouldn't arise.
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 21 Apr 2016, 11:47 am

Posted by portugalpress on April 21, 2016

McCanns threaten “anyone selling Amaral’s book in UK” with legal action

In the aftermath of their libel case defeat, the parents of missing Madeleine McCann are reported to be threatening people found selling the damning book "Truth of the Lie" that has been once again freed from censorship.

The UK’s Daily Mirror claims Kate and Gerry McCann “have warned anyone caught selling ex-police chief Gonzalo (sic) Amaral’s book in the UK would face legal action”.

But the story fails to address the fact that, right now, there is no legal basis for this tactic.

Amaral’s thesis will be returning to bookstores in Portugal next week as both he and his publishers Guerra e Paz have won the civil action lodged against them.

It is possible the McCann’s lawyers will argue that the appeal they claim to be lodging with Portugal’s Supreme Court could cover threats of legal action - but this is also debatable, say legal experts.

“The book is not held to be defamatory in any jurisdiction in the world”, said one - pointing out at the same time that an appeal to the Supreme Court in Portugal is equivalent to an appeal to the House of Lords in Great Britain.

“These courts only listen to cases involving important points of law, of general public importance”, he told us. “They are not interested in facts, nor minor squabbles - nor whether the Court of Appeal has made a good or bad decision.

“They are only interested if they have to clarify something which the substantive law has not made entirely clear”.

In other words, an appeal by the McCann’s to continue their action against former PJ coordinator Gonçalo Amaral “may not even be entertained”, said the source.

Be that as it may, the fallout from Tuesday’s decision is reverberating through the world’s media channels, particularly as Amaral has hit back almost immediately with the news that his lawyers will now be suing for compensation.

The bill “could run into the hundreds of thousands of euros”, writes the Mirror, explaining that Amaral is said to be suing for “years of financial losses in which his good name has been called into question”.

Negotiating with his publishers today, the former detective confirmed to the Resident that “what the McCanns are doing is illegal. I am in talks with my publishers for a book in the English language, as there is as yet no publisher in the UK, the USA, Australia, New Zealand - not even Amazon - that is selling it.

"The McCanns will learn to respect the right to opinion and freedom of expression”, he added - stressing that “any version” of Truth of the Lie in English that can be found on the Internet is also illegal, as neither he nor Guerra e Paz publishers have given their authorisation to translations.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

- See more at: http://portugalresident.com/mccanns-threaten-%E2%80%9Canyone-selling-amaral%E2%80%99s-book-in-uk%E2%80%9D-with-legal-action#sthash.pGK49Ugs.dpuf
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Thu 21 Apr 2016, 11:55 am

Poe wrote:
Mimi wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccanns-parents-threaten-legal-7797363

I don't think that any book publishers would be prepared to take the risk but big newspapers are struggling to stay afloat and have very little left to lose.

All it takes is one editor, knowing his paper's days are numbered, to decide to make one last ditch attempt for death or glory by publishing extracts of "the book they tried to ban" and the details are out there for everyone to read. If the McCanns try to take legal action, that paper closes down, as it would have done anyway, and the rest of the media turn on them for destroying our right to freedom of speech.

But even if the book isn't published over here in any form, the McCanns have handled this situation terribly and their petulant lashing out over the last week (I'm including Gerry's Hacked Off tantrum) has destroyed the thin veneer of victim-hood which stopped many people looking at the case too closely.

IMO.

Well, on a more optimistic note, one thing I do know is that if a book is banned, EVERYBODY wants to read it or get a copy - they are so stupid.

Do forum members remember this : I remember reading this behind the bike sheds at school after it had been unbanned - just the relevent pages of course !

Lady Chatterley`s Lover sold out :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/10/newsid_2965000/2965194.stm

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:02 pm

Mimi wrote: [...]
Well, on a more optimistic note, one thing I do know is that if a book is banned, EVERYBODY wants to read it or get a copy - they are so stupid.  

Do forum members remember this : I remember reading this behind the bike sheds at school after it had been unbanned - just the relevent pages of course !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/10/newsid_2965000/2965194.stm
Of course, I remember, Mimi Very Happy
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:08 pm

Châtelaine wrote:
Mimi wrote: [...]

Of course, I remember, Mimi Very Happy

And this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spycatcher
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:16 pm

Mimi wrote:
Poe wrote:

IMO.

I remember it well. Happy Days Laughing
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Antonia Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:25 pm

Remember 50 Shades of Gray by a then unknown author. It got mega pre publication publicity and we all knew there was lots of violent sex in it. There were probably calls to ban it by those who hadn't read it.

It was an international best seller that made the author very rich yet apparently it is the most left behind book in hotels and B/Bs. I gave up at page 100 and got further than some of my friends! A badly written book and boring. But when you are told you shouldn't read something, most people want to.

All publicity is good I think and there will be a big demand for Sr Amaral's book. However I think he should update it to reflect all that has happened since he wrote it.
Antonia
Antonia

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:27 pm

Antonia wrote:Remember 50 Shades of Gray by a then unknown author. It got mega pre publication publicity and we all knew there was lots of violent sex in it. There were probably calls to ban it by those who hadn't read it.

It was an international best seller that made the author very rich yet apparently it is the most left behind book in hotels and B/Bs. I gave up at page 100 and got further than some of my friends! A badly written book and boring.  But when you are told you shouldn't read something, most people want to.

All publicity is good I think and there will be a big demand for Sr Amaral's book. However I think he should update it to reflect all that has happened since he wrote it.

How about Volume II The Reckoning ? Laughing
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:29 pm

I remember Mary Whitehouse getting a temporary ban on a programme about Andy Warhol.

I wondered what all the fuss had been about when eventually it was shown.

It would be a good idea for the book to be issued with an update of all the events since it was first published.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:29 pm

Pamalam-Gerrys Blogs ‏@JustPamalam  3m3 minutes ago
Astro translation plus Ines added translated snippets from #McCann #Amaral appeal. Portuguise doc included
http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/Appeal_19_04_2016.htm
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply   Retweet    
More
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:40 pm

Updates

19 April, 2016 - Statement from Gerry and Kate Regarding Libel Case

We are disappointed with today’s ruling from the Portuguese Appellate Court. As we have said in the past, this action has never been about money. It has always been focused on the effects of the libels on our other children and the damage that has been done to the search for Madeleine.

We will continue to defend ourselves against this libel and the search for our daughter. We will be appealing to the Portuguese Supreme Court.

Madeleine is still missing and we will do everything we can to get her home.

Thank you for your continued support.

Gerry and Kate

http://findmadeleine.com/updates/index.html
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:50 pm

snipped from algarveresident.com

Negotiating with his publishers today, the former detective confirmed to the Resident that “what the McCanns are doing is illegal[/b[b]]. I am in talks with my publishers for a book in the English language, as there is as yet no publisher in the UK, the USA, Australia, New Zealand - not even Amazon - that is selling it.

study
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://maddiemccannmystery.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:56 pm

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Poe Thu 21 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm

Andrew wrote:Updates

19 April, 2016 - Statement from Gerry and Kate Regarding Libel Case

We are disappointed with today’s ruling from the Portuguese Appellate Court. As we have said in the past, this action has never been about money. It has always been focused on the effects of the libels on our other children and the damage that has been done to the search for Madeleine.

We will continue to defend ourselves against this libel and the search for our daughter. We will be appealing to the Portuguese Supreme Court.

Madeleine is still missing and we will do everything we can to get her home.

Thank you for your continued support.

Gerry and Kate

http://findmadeleine.com/updates/index.html

The McCanns are libelling Dr Amaral by saying that he has libelled them when the Portuguese courts have stated that The Truth of The Lie is not libellous.
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Thu 21 Apr 2016, 1:33 pm

Freedom wrote:I remember Mary Whitehouse getting a temporary ban on a programme about Andy Warhol.

I wondered what all the fuss had been about when eventually it was shown.

It would be a good idea for the book to be issued with an update of all the events since it was first published.

The older I get and the more I see what`s considered OK these days, the more I think that Mary Whitehouse was right.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL! -  HE MAY SUE THE McCANNS - Page 10 Empty Re:GONCALO AMARAL WINS APPEAL!

Post  costello Thu 21 Apr 2016, 2:03 pm

N.M@AdirenM. - 43m

Amaral's book is not a masterpiece of literature, nor is it the total account of Madeleine #McCann's crime. It's a symbol for CENSORSHIP.
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Thu 21 Apr 2016, 2:22 pm

Satsuma wrote:For the same reason as you, Bammy my friend.  I fully supported his appeal and look forward to the next stage.  But this is only a tiny step in the right direction - we are still no nearer to working out what happened

Totally disagree. Detective Amaral worked out (at least some of what) happened.

Certainly not a 'tiny step'. This is a huge step.
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 23  Next