MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McCanns to fight SC ruling - Daily Mail 18 Feb 2017

+16
bluebell
TheTruthWillOut
Heisenburg
Mimi
dogs don't lie
costello
Bampots
Birdy
espeland
Châtelaine
Poe
Andrew
candyfloss
Freedom
froggy
Dee Coy
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

McCanns to fight SC ruling - Daily Mail 18 Feb 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: McCanns to fight SC ruling - Daily Mail 18 Feb 2017

Post  chirpyinsect Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:20 am

McCanns to fight SC ruling - Daily Mail 18 Feb 2017 - Page 3 Sagres10

Serendipity?

Back to top Go down

McCanns to fight SC ruling - Daily Mail 18 Feb 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: McCanns to fight SC ruling - Daily Mail 18 Feb 2017

Post  Dee Coy Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:23 am

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mccanns-launch-new-court-battle-9847926.amp?client=safari

It's here. Could someone bring it over? Am on silly phone.

Confirms that they haven't gone to ECHR yet and this is just a 'formal complaint '. Unbelievable arrogance.

And what a nugget:

According to the latest accounts filed last month the couple’s Find Madeleine fund has just £200,000 left after half a million was placed in investments.

Experts say legal fees and a possible pay-out to Amaral would easily dwarf this sum, leaving no cash left to continue the couple’s efforts to find their daughter.

I wasn't aware they'd invested £500,000 of the fund. Outrageous, but not unexpected. Wouldn't be surprised if they use this extra bought time to invest the rest.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:41 am

SUNDAY MIRROR

McCanns launch new court battle against cop's claims they faked Maddie abduction - amid fears his case could leave search fund broke
Lawyer confirmed couple are fighting a court judgment which could cost them hundreds of thousands and wipe out the “Find Madeleine” fund

19 FEB 2017
NEWS

The parents of missing Madeleine McCann have launched a desperate bid to overturn a Portuguese court ruling which fails to put them in the clear over her disappearance.

Yesterday their lawyer confirmed they are fighting a court judgment which could cost them hundreds of thousands and wipe out the “Find Madeleine” fund.

This week the Sunday People tracked down the ex-detective at the centre of the misery facing Kate and Gerry, both 48.

Goncalo Amaral led the initial ­investigation when Madeleine vanished in May 2007 when she was three.

Now the McCanns are fighting the latest decision by Portugal’s Supreme Court.

The couple were ruled out as formal suspects, or “arguidos”, back in 2008 but in newly-released court papers, judges have specified that this does not equate to a ruling of innocence.

Former detective Goncalo Amaral holds a copy of his book, "Maddie:The Truth about the Lie" (Photo: AFP)
In the 76-page ruling, the Supreme Court also said the archiving in 2008 of the criminal case into Madeleine’s ­disappearance does not prove the McCanns are innocent. The court concluded Amaral’s book was not a personal and unjustified attack on the McCanns. It was an “opinion” based on the case files.

There was no defamatory intention behind it and so it is protected by
“freedom of speech rights”. That ruling left Madeleine’s parents facing legal costs and the nightmare prospect of being sued by the former detective.

Local reports yesterday said the couple were seeking to get the decision thrown out after launching a formal complaint against the judges’ findings.

Kate and Gerry McCann lodge complaint after court ruled couple were 'not formally in the clear' over Madeleine’s disappearance
The couple, doctors from Rothley, Leics, could eventually take the case to the European Court of Human Rights.

The McCanns’ lawyer Isabel Duarte confirmed a formal complaint had been made. The latest ruling means Amaral was spared having to pay the McCanns compensation he was ordered to hand over two years ago over his book The Truth of the Lie.

According to the latest accounts filed last month the couple’s Find Madeleine fund has just £200,000 left after half a million was placed in investments.

Experts say legal fees and a possible pay-out to Amaral would easily dwarf this sum, leaving no cash left to continue the couple’s efforts to find their daughter.

Amaral was relaxing this week in the Olivais region in the north of the capital Lisbon. A local who spotted Amaral dining told the Sunday People: “He rarely mentions it. We know who he is – everybody does.”

A shopkeeper added: “He comes to the newsagents and then goes to one of the restaurants here for lunch.”

Roadsweeper Enrique Gonzalez said: “It is popular with all of the police officers who live and work around here.

“He comes and talks about the old times.”

The McCanns’ spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: “If Mr Amaral’s current book about Madeleine or any new one he may be planning to write is published here in the UK Kate and Gerry’s lawyers will take immediate action. He needs to know lawyers are watching.”

Last edited by Mimi on Sun 19 Feb 2017, 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Dee Coy Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:43 am

Thanks Mimi! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:49 am

Well, the search fund would've been fine if the mcs realised at the start of all this that facts are facts and can't be changed, no matter what they do! They're all online anyway, she wrote her book, and Goncalo wrote his, she gave her "account" and Goncalo told the truth. Put it this way, would you believe neglecting parents or the police?
IMO

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrants Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:54 am

Freedom wrote:Can anyone find the rest of the story? It may be me but it doesn't appear to be here.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/sunday-people

If you click on 'News' at the top of the page you will find the article by scrolling down. It's on the right hand side.
Scrants
Scrants

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sun 19 Feb 2017, 11:00 am

Scrants wrote:
Freedom wrote:Can anyone find the rest of the story? It may be me but it doesn't appear to be here.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/sunday-people

If you click on 'News' at the top of the page you will find the article by scrolling down. It's on the right hand side.

Thanks I had no idea the Sunday People was part of the Mirror!

Thanks to all who put the story up.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sun 19 Feb 2017, 11:10 am

dogs don't lie wrote:Well, the search fund would've been fine if the mcs realised at the start of all this that facts are facts and can't be changed, no matter what they do! They're all online anyway, she wrote her book, and Goncalo wrote his, she gave her "account" and Goncalo told the truth. Put it this way, would you believe neglecting parents or the police?
IMO

Weird how she thinks she should be believed and he shouldn`t. Her book was transparently the biggest retrofilling load of verbiage ever put in print. (Even topping Henry VII`s retrofitting the history of Richard III Smile )

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Sun 19 Feb 2017, 11:20 am

chirpyinsect wrote:McCanns to fight SC ruling - Daily Mail 18 Feb 2017 - Page 3 Sagres10

Serendipity?

yep.
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun 19 Feb 2017, 11:26 am

So what 'investments' were these then...?
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Dee Coy Sun 19 Feb 2017, 11:44 am

Andrew wrote:According to the latest accounts filed last month the couple’s Find Madeleine fund has just £200,000 left after half a million was placed in investments.

So what 'investments' were these then...?

Ones that squirrel away the capital but gives an income, I'd guess. Depending on how the investment is made will determine if they can be forced to cash them in to pay legal fees. Obviously, I dare say the financial advisors will have taken care of that very carefully indeed. Grr. No

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 19 Feb 2017, 11:58 am

My basic maths calculates that the Fund has £700,000, enough to pay legal fees and expenses, no matter where the cash is deposited. There is the house too, which they could sell. After all, they're not spending it on searching.

I've posted before, I hope the Fund is being investigated. What a con. I won't forget my shock at seeing the photo of the begging bucket just days after the child's reported disappearance.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun 19 Feb 2017, 11:58 am

The first 3 words in the above article:

COVER UP CHALLENGE
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:02 pm

Luna wrote:My basic maths calculates that the Fund has £700,000, enough to pay legal fees and expenses, no matter where the cash is deposited.  There is the house too, which they could sell.  After all, they're not spending it on searching.

I've posted before, I hope the Fund is being investigated.  What a con.  I won't forget my shock at seeing the photo of the begging bucket just days after the child's reported disappearance.

You can bet yer boots that it is not down to £200,000.

Perhaps they invested it in property, i.e. paid off their mortgage. I`m sure there are many dodgy ways money can be so called `invested`. I agree, I hope someone is investigating all their financial dealings.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:09 pm

Mimi wrote:
Luna wrote:My basic maths calculates that the Fund has £700,000, enough to pay legal fees and expenses, no matter where the cash is deposited.  There is the house too, which they could sell.  After all, they're not spending it on searching.

I've posted before, I hope the Fund is being investigated.  What a con.  I won't forget my shock at seeing the photo of the begging bucket just days after the child's reported disappearance.

You can bet yer boots that it is not down to £200,000.

Perhaps they invested it in property, i.e. paid off their mortgage.  I`m sure there are many dodgy ways money can be so called `invested`.  I agree, I hope someone is investigating all their financial dealings.

Surely even if money has been invested it can be uninvested. OK there may be a penalty but if the investment is in their names it is still visible. If they took it out of the fund to invest then it still should be deemed as asset if the limited company.

Back to top Go down

Post  Birdy Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:13 pm

Correio da Manhã, February 18, 2017

Even though we don't know if this is a request to annul the Supreme Court ruling or if it is, as was published in the UK media, a formal complaint against the ruling or judges, a few thoughts:

An annulment can be requested of a ruling, even of a Supreme Court ruling. This must be done on a point of law. Since the ruling is extremely well structured, there are no technical points they can pick, the likely outcome is that this will be denied .

Fact of the matter is that the judges wrote several pages to come to the conclusion of the not cleared explanation and were explicit that it was not up to the Supreme Court to deliberate on their innocence or guilt.

There is a massive difference between being innocent and being cleared by an archival. The McCanns can always claim they are innocent but they cannot claim they have been declared innocent by the archival.

This issue was only addressed as a reply to the points in the appeal, points that were made by the McCanns themselves.

An annulment can only be considered on points of law, which would never include frivolity as an allegation.

In no way do we believe that frivolity may be invoked regarding the explanation of what a shelving of an investigation process means, about three Supreme Court judges when writing a structured and impartial decision which is available to read in its entirety and due context.

Finally, it is possible the judges will consider the frivolity allegation as defamatory and take legal action against the couple.

Copyright ©️ 2017 by Joana Morais

BEWARE McEELS -----The Supreme Court could end up sueing you---- Guess who would win bom
Birdy
Birdy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:18 pm

I don't think any money has been 'invested' as such.

It's just the papers game of getting everyone more pissed off with the McCann's.... And it's doing a sterling job too Very Happy

They moved/ringfenced a substantial amount sometime back in anticipation of losing, which they probably knew and expected anyway. And they'll have to pay all that up regardless.

I would hazard a guess that they've frittered away most of the fund by now or it will certainly be depleted very soon and they'll be back relying on the one salary coming in.... Dr Gez. As I don't actually think KM gets paid for her association with MP.

Imo etc.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:18 pm

Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:24 pm

You're too polite, it's a lie.

Headlining their tormentor in chief makes a better headline.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:29 pm

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:43 pm

Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:56 pm

One of her friends that didn't give evidence you mean.
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 19 Feb 2017, 1:16 pm

She picked up a sizable sum from Express newspapers, along with her husband, which they donated to the Fund.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next