MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fertility clinic scandal

4 posters

Go down

Fertility clinic scandal Empty Re: Fertility clinic scandal

Post  bluebell Fri 02 Jun 2017, 2:13 pm

I thought this was interesting so hope OK to put here?    Not suggesting any connection with TM except for the country where this has occurred.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40131107

Dutch families win right to test DNA of sperm bank doctor

The doctor is accused of using his own sperm in IVF treatment

A Dutch court has approved a request by families seeking DNA tests on the belongings of the late doctor of a fertility clinic accused of using his own sperm in dozens of cases.

Jan Karbaat is suspected of fathering about 60 children at the centre he ran in Bijdorp, near Rotterdam.
Tests will now be conducted on items seized from his home after his death in April, at the age of 89.
A lawyer for his family said there was no evidence to support the claims.
Jan Karbaat called himself "a pioneer in the field of fertilisation".

His clinic was closed in 2009 amid reports that he had allegedly falsified data, analyses and donor descriptions and exceeded the permitted number of six children per donor.

At a court hearing last month, a lawyer for the 23 parents and children said that the suspected cases included a client who had brown eyes when the sperm donor was supposedly blue-eyed and a male client who physically resembled the doctor.

The DNA profile will remain sealed until the families can show there is cause to believe he is their father, the BBC's Anna Holligan, who was at the district court in Rotterdam, reports.

Eventually, if the DNA profile matches, the children hope to sue the doctor, possibly on the grounds that they should not exist, our correspondent adds.

Last edited by bluebell on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)

Back to top Go down

Fertility clinic scandal Empty Fertility clinic scandal

Post  Châtelaine Fri 02 Jun 2017, 2:41 pm

Being born Dutch, I have of course followed this case [and others ...] very carefully from here in France [thanks to Google ;-)

There are many cases uprising in NL at the moment, not only this one.
For example, a Dutch girl managed to find her donor father via internet-data-sites in the U.S.A.
Another example: there are quite some "scandals" submerging in which anonymous donors donated MUCH MORE than the legal number to father children.

Two point, which I find valid:
* principally every child has the right to know, when they're 16, WHO is their father. This is legislated by law since 2004. Before that time, there's no such law applied.
* I'm NOT against donor-fertilisation [if I'd been borne earlier, I'd have had some children of my own with donor fathers], BUT those would have been donors, I would have known. IF these donors are unknown to mother and child and IF the donors produce such enormous anonimous offspring, there's a genuine risk, that half-brothers and half-sisters get together and ... may produce incest children :-(
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Fri 02 Jun 2017, 3:07 pm

I've given this its own topic.

This sounds strange to me - do these people regret that they were ever born?

"Eventually, if the DNA profile matches, the children hope to sue the doctor, possibly on the grounds that they should not exist, our correspondent adds".

Another recent case here.

http://time.com/4488711/indiana-fertility-doctor-cline-own-sperm/
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Fri 02 Jun 2017, 4:01 pm

No, they don't regret it, Freedom.
They just want to know, who their father is ...
And I think, they've every right to ask for that.
I'm referring to the present Dutch cases, of course.
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Fri 02 Jun 2017, 5:36 pm

Why would a medical person do this? Is it due to a narcissistic disorder? I think I remember seeing a film about a doctor who did this, but actually in real life it may be happening much more than we are aware.

As Chatelaine says, the law of tracing the donor is fairly recent so I'd expect more cases to come to light. Actually it may be since that law sperm donors are fewer, though eggs also are donated for IVF as well aren't they?

Personally I have no problem with the process of IVF, but I think sperm and eggs donated then belong to the clinic they're donated to and who follows the trail of where they are used? Or what they are used for? Some moral questions there imo.

Back to top Go down

Post  Winslow Boy Fri 02 Jun 2017, 6:25 pm

I think these Doctors should have a Mass Debate for IVF donors.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sat 03 Jun 2017, 9:43 am

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down