MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Death Penalty

5 posters

Go down

Death Penalty Empty Death Penalty

Post  candyfloss Thu 16 Nov 2017, 8:47 pm

A subject that throws up heated debate any time it is raised.  I am absolutely opposed to the death penalty, we are supposed to be civilised human beings and we are by killing/executing/murdering people doing exactly what the convicted person has done, sometimes even, these supposed convicted people are actually proved innocent at later dates.  Horrific!

So, just been reading about this terminally ill man, who has been on death row for 20 years, who was wheeled in to get the lethal injection, but they couldn't manage it due to lack of finding a vein.  So the man was wheeled out again and the next scheduled date for his 'death' will be in June 2019 - WTF, two years on.  They reckon he will probably die by then anyway, but surely this is the worst sort of cruelty to get a man ready for his death/execution, only to stop the execution after 80 minutes and then reschedule almost 2 years down the line.  

Here is the story, what are your thoughts on the death penalty and this story.......

Execution halted after failure to find vein for lethal injection

Prison officials try for 80 minutes to find a vein - until the execution of murderer Alva Campbell is called off and rescheduled.

11:45, UK,
Thursday 16 November 2017

Alva Campbell had been on death row for 20 years

By Bethan Staton, News Reporter

Alva Campbell was scheduled to die on Wednesday - but the death row inmate is still alive as executioners failed to find a vein for a lethal injection.

Ohio prison officials gave up trying to find a viable vein after some 80 minutes of searching, witnesses said.

The 69-year-old shook hands with his executioners and wiped away tears as he left the death chamber, saying: "This is a day I'll never forget."

It was only the third time in US history that an execution has been called off after the process had begun.

Anti-death penalty campaigners said the fiasco shows capital punishment is inhumane and should be abolished.

In 1997 he was found guilty of killing an 18-year-old in a carjack as well as of robbery charges. Prior to that conviction he had served 20 years of a life sentence for killing a man in Cleveland.

He is suspected of having lung cancer and uses a colostomy bag, and his lawyers argued that poor health would make an execution extremely difficult.

Before his execution, activist Sister Helen Prejean wrote on Twitter that Campbell's "illnesses and physical condition create a very real possibility that the execution will be botched".

But Ohio officials said they were confident Campbell could be executed and brought him to the execution room in a wheelchair.

The execution team worked for around 80 minutes to find a vein, periodically patting Campbell's shoulder to comfort him.

But even when a viable blood vessel was located, the insertion was unsuccessful, and Gary Mohr, the head of Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, called the execution off.

Activists who had gathered outside the facility to protest the execution filmed an empty hearse leaving Southern Ohio Correctional Facility after Campbell's scheduled time of death.

"This is not justice, and this is not humane. Campbell was poked and prodded for nearly two hours," Mike Brickner of the American Civil Liberties Union in Ohio said in a statement.

Ohio's governor has now rescheduled the execution for 5 June 2019.

Mr Brickner said the attempt would "only bring more torture" to Campbell.

"This type of state-sponsored torture is not acceptable and the state of Ohio must place a moratorium on executions immediately."

"Today the state made a spectacle of a man's life and the cruel and unusual practice of lethal injection must end," he said.

https://news.sky.com/story/execution-halted-after-failure-to-find-vein-for-lethal-injection-11128521

(my bold)

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Death Penalty Empty Re: Death Penalty

Post  Freedom Fri 17 Nov 2017, 8:00 am

I too am basically against the death penalty. I can remember the horrible feeling I had as a child on the mornings when executions were being carried out in U K prisons.

There are some exceptions in my view - a current one being the horrendous Indian bus assault in 2012 in which the victim was fatally injured. The four sub-humans responsible (a fifth committed suicide in prison) are appealing for leniency, having been given the death penalty. I just want them put down as soon as possible.

As for the American man, let's hope that he dies naturally before 2019.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Fri 17 Nov 2017, 11:19 am

Whatever a person does to another, should have the same done to them, with concrete proof though, IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Fri 17 Nov 2017, 2:02 pm

I have always been against the death penalty, the taking of any life.

But when I think about the likes of Brady the Moors Murderer being alive and protected and having three meals a day and a decent bed to sleep in courtesy of the tax payers for all these years, it makes me wonder if I`m not wrong. I wonder just how much he has cost the tax payer for him to live in comfort after carrying out despicable things to little children.

Someone has to carry out the ending of his life - some say there would be many people only too willing to see him off the face of the earth.

I don`t think this is a question that can ever be concluded as right or wrong - who knows - it might actually be a reward to him for his life to be ended - no one knows what happens after death.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Fri 17 Nov 2017, 2:51 pm

I'm against death penalty for many reasons, but particulary because there have been too many where people were found out to be innocent afterwards.
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Fri 17 Nov 2017, 7:28 pm

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sat 18 Nov 2017, 1:21 pm

Freedom wrote:Mimi: Ian Brady died in May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39929538

Oh yeah, forgot. Ta. Embarassed

There`s others like him I`m sure.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sat 18 Nov 2017, 1:25 pm

Mimi wrote:
Freedom wrote:Mimi: Ian Brady died in May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39929538

Oh yeah, forgot. Ta.  Embarassed

There`s others like him I`m sure.

Rosemary West? Convicted of 10 murders..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_West

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sat 18 Nov 2017, 1:47 pm

Yeah.  The tax payers are protecting that damaged monster.  She would have been sent to the electric chair by now if this was America. It`s difficult to come to an opinion as to what should be done with them without being labelled a hypocrite.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down