MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twitter boss admits firm is failing victims of trolling

+5
Freedom
Andrew
chirpyinsect
Cristobell
candyfloss
9 posters

Go down

Twitter boss admits firm is failing victims of trolling Empty Twitter boss admits firm is failing victims of trolling

Post  candyfloss Thu 05 Feb 2015, 1:36 pm

5 February 2015 Last updated at 11:43

Twitter boss admits firm is failing victims of trolling

Twitter boss admits firm is failing victims of trolling _80802797_cyberbullying 
Trolling, or cyberbullying, on social networks appears to be a growing problem

Twitter's chief executive Dick Costolo has admitted that the company "sucks" when it comes to dealing with abuse and trolling on the service.
In a memo to staff, leaked to tech news website the Verge, he said that bullying behaviour on the network was driving users away.
He promised tougher action to deal with abusers.
A series of high-profile users have quit Twitter in recent months, citing online abuse.
In his memo to staff, Mr Costolo wrote: "We suck at dealing with abuse and trolls on the platform and we've sucked at it for years.
"It's no secret that the rest of the world talks about it every day. We lose core user after core user by not addressing simple trolling issues that they face every day."
His words echo a December blog post in which the company admitted that it "was nowhere near being done making changes in this area".
It promises that, in coming months, it will bring in further user controls and improvements in the way users can report abusive accounts.
Abuse victims
Twitter boss admits firm is failing victims of trolling _80802801_80802800 Isabella Sorley was charged with Twitter abuse, following an online attack of campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez
The debate over so-called internet trolls - people who use social media accounts to abuse others - has been attracting headlines for several years now.
The daughter of actor Robin Williams signed off Twitter following taunts about her father's suicide.
Screenwriter Jane Goldman deleted her account following abuse of her family.
And Sara Payne, whose daughter Sarah was abducted and murdered in 2000, said she was leaving the social media network after years of online harassment.
But increasingly victims of trolling are confronting their bullies.
When a troll targeted US journalist Lindy West, setting up an account in her dead father's name, she wrote about it.
After describing some of the abuse, she received an email from the troll, apologising for his behaviour.
And Isabella Sorley, who was jailed after posting abusive messages on Twitter about feminist campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez, has been attempting to make amends, appearing in media interviews condemning her own words and urging other young people not to follow in her footsteps.
Twitter's confession about how it deals with online abuse comes ahead of rumours that it is about to strike a deal with Google to make its 140-character updates more searchable on Google.
The deal may be confirmed when the firm releases its financial results for 2014, expected on 5 February.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31146659

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Twitter boss admits firm is failing victims of trolling Empty Re: Twitter boss admits firm is failing victims of trolling

Post  Cristobell Thu 05 Feb 2015, 2:10 pm

Well I can certainly confirm that there are some dangerous nutcases out there and lots of 'normal' people egging them on, so many blissfully unaware that there is a real, living, breathing person at the receiving end of all the vitriol. So many anti's appalled at what happened to Brenda Leyland, yet who are repeating exactly the same behaviour that led in Brenda's death. They are not just angry with me, that I could handle, they want me off social media, banished from society, but preferably dead, so I never tarnish their anonymous reputations again.

I am actually afraid to go out of my front door for fear of attack and wondering what their method will be. Acid in the face, a knife, who knows, the strength of feeling suggests my end will be particularly gruesome, all because I spoke out about the Madeleine McCann case without their permission.

Do I deserve it? Yes probably, I am playing the victim and of course I brought it on myself. The words of bullies the world over.
Cristobell
Cristobell

Back to top Go down

Twitter boss admits firm is failing victims of trolling Empty Re: Twitter boss admits firm is failing victims of trolling

Post  chirpyinsect Thu 05 Feb 2015, 2:38 pm

Cristobell. You need to put an end to this now before you push yourself over the edge. I was all ready with a post in defence of my right to have an opinion that doesn't agree with yours but that just prolongs the issue.
My feelings don't matter here and not do any of the rest of us who may imagine our pride has been hurt but your health does matter and this is in no way a healthy way to live. Surely you can see that you are sliding into paranoia now by imagining that anyone here would wish you dead, or egg on anyone who has threatened you.
Please go talk to someone unrelated to the case and shove your computer in a locked box for a while, switch off the phone and give yourself a break.
chirpyinsect
chirpyinsect

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 05 Feb 2015, 2:48 pm

Very sorry to hear that you feel like that cristobell.

Get down the travel agents and book yourself a relaxing break in the sun.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Thu 05 Feb 2015, 3:32 pm

Yes, I certainly think that you should take a break, Cristobell.

I don't do Twitter, I couldn't stand the abuse that's dished out.

Please think of your health - let the baying hounds turn on themselves rather than you.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Antonia Thu 05 Feb 2015, 3:50 pm

Cristobel, I agree with what other members have said. Get some help. Stay with a friend. Switch off your computer. Take a break in the sun if you can afford it. Clean your house from top to bottom. Contact someone you haven't seen for ages. Do anything but not blogging/texting/tweeting/posting.

Get a life. We all should!
Antonia
Antonia

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Thu 05 Feb 2015, 3:58 pm

Cristobell wrote:Well I can certainly confirm that there are some dangerous nutcases out there and lots of 'normal' people egging them on, so many blissfully unaware that there is a real, living, breathing person at the receiving end of all the vitriol.  So many anti's appalled at what happened to Brenda Leyland, yet who are repeating exactly the same behaviour that led in Brenda's death.  They are not just angry with me, that I could handle, they want me off social media, banished from society, but preferably dead, so I never tarnish their anonymous reputations again.  

I am actually afraid to go out of my front door for fear of attack and wondering what their method will be.  Acid in the face, a knife, who knows, the strength of feeling suggests my end will be particularly gruesome, all because I spoke out about the Madeleine McCann case without their permission.  

Do I deserve it?  Yes probably, I am playing the victim and of course I brought it on myself.  The words of bullies the world over.

I wouldn`t bother about a few hateful antis, the bulk of whom come from over the way and are egged on by a disturbed leader - who went too far yesterday and his comments and sheep bleeters had to be whooshed by the owner. He has shown himself up good and proper as being full of hatred.

Some antis on here were upset that you were misquoted and some reacted by focussing their upset on you for doing the article rather than the bloke that misquoted you. A lot of us felt you`d been used and wanted to get to the bottom of it. It happens. I must say I was astonished that you were quoted as saying you could be a right bitch - I`ve never known you to be that way. No one here, I`m sure, wants you off social media or banished from society or dead. You`re an excellent writer.

That article above proves there are some very sick people out there and obviously some are regretting it and apologising. And yes, there are some people that are nasty enough to tell you to commit suicide - it`s an unbelievably sick world we live in. They use trolling rather than going to a psychotherapist and getting their anger out. But I suppose trolling is a lot cheaper than a psychotherapist. Gotta feel sorry for them - they are really sick individuals.

You`ve just set up a situation to repeat your childhood. We all do it.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Thu 05 Feb 2015, 4:14 pm

Good advice, Antonia.

I have just helped to fumigate a rabbit hutch - cleaning is indeed a form of therapy!

Cristobell, please just walk away from all this aggravation.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 05 Feb 2015, 5:25 pm

Suicide is an option says cristobell on twitter.

Please cristobell get yourself offline and stay off.

Spend time with friends and family.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Thu 05 Feb 2015, 6:57 pm

Andrew wrote:Suicide is an option says cristobell on twitter.

Please cristobell get yourself offline and stay off.
[...]

You did say, Cristobell?!
Turn around and get on your feet again.
Suicide is not an "option" nor a solution.
As I wrote on another thread: take a time-out.
And get back, when you've sorted things out.

Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Twitter boss admits firm is failing victims of trolling Empty Sonia Poulton on Sky News

Post  Mo Thu 05 Feb 2015, 10:19 pm

I haven't passed any comment with regard to events over the past few days but I must say that I think all of this has been one big set-up to aid the inquest next month. Either Cristobell was part of this set-up or she was duped and is now paying the price for a bit of fame!

Mo
Mo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 05 Feb 2015, 10:41 pm

I often thought a 'set up' was in the play.

Hoped I guess - that cristobell herself had a secret agenda with Sonia to get this 'troll shit' put to bed. Sort of. Some plan behind the scenes.

Either that or the complete opposite and both been played.

Time will tell I guess.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 9:29 am

Mo wrote:I haven't passed any comment with regard to events over the past few days but I must say that I think all of this has been one big set-up to aid the inquest next month.   Either Cristobell was part of this set-up or she was duped and is now paying the price for a bit of fame!

I would say duped

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:13 am

She has put out a new blog today.  I really, really wish she would just stop providing her enemies with even more ammunition.

http://cristobell.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:20 am

Please Cristobell, you need more than one day away from all this madness.

I shall join you - metaphorically peaking - in jumping into that meringue tower.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 10:21 am

This is not a dig at you Cristobell, but from your blog

For today, I am going to avoid twitter and everything malevolent so I can get things back into perspective.

Others would have posted this up on Twitter for you. Avoid it and enjoy the peace. flower

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 11:50 am

Freedom wrote:

metaphorically peaking

That's Freudian Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Fri 06 Feb 2015, 11:54 am

Indeed it was. I hadn't noticed that!

P.S. I can really recommend cleaning out a hutch or other animal home as a metaphorical way of removing from one's mind all the filth from some Internet users, particularly on Twitter.

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Twitter boss admits firm is failing victims of trolling Empty Twitter to identify and limit tweets with 'threats of violence' or 'promoting violence' against others

Post  candyfloss Tue 21 Apr 2015, 9:22 pm

ITV Report

21 April 2015 at 4:24pm  

Twitter to identify and limit tweets with 'threats of violence' or 'promoting violence' against others

Twitter has unveiled a change in its policies to expand the site's powers to deal with abusive behaviour.
The changes include an expansion of what Twitter classifies as a violent threat - beyond being directly sent to other users, and now covering "threats of violence against others or promoting violence against others".
The micro-blogging site's Shreyas Doshi said: "Our previous policy was unduly narrow and limited our ability to act on certain kinds of threatening behaviour. The updated language better describes the range of prohibited content and our intention to act when users step over the line into abuse.

"We believe that users must feel safe on Twitter in order to fully express themselves and we need to ensure that voices are not silenced because people are afraid to speak up. To that end, we are today announcing our latest product and policy updates that will help us in continuing to develop a platform on which users can safely engage with the world at large."
Earlier this year Twitter chief Dick Costolo admitted the site "sucks" at dealing with abusive behaviour and content, which in the past has seen a host of high profile users quit the social network over abuse they received, including most recently Sue Perkins, who left the site after receiving abuse over claims she was in line to replace Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear.
Mr Costolo said at the time he took personal responsibility, and this latest update marks a string of policy tweaks stretching back even before his admittance, which came via a leaked memo to staff.

Also in the blog post, Twitter announced a new enforcement tool for dealing with account users who are suspected of abusive behaviour.
The blog said: "...we have begun to test a product feature to help us identify suspected abusive Tweets and limit their reach.
"It will not affect your ability to see content that you’ve explicitly sought out, such as Tweets from accounts you follow, but instead is designed to help us limit the potential harm of abusive content."
A temporary lock can now be placed on an account for a pre-determined amount of time, with criteria set for the user to meet before it is unlocked again. Previously, Twitter had only the option to suspend an account, or not.
"This option gives us leverage in a variety of contexts, particularly where multiple users begin harassing a particular person or group of people," explained Mr Doshi.
The site has described the new feature as being able to put an account in "time out" while they investigate abuse.
Twitter, which currently has around 288 million users worldwide, also confirmed that a new algorithm is going in place that it will use to help identify and prevent the spread of abusive tweets.

Mr Doshi explained that the solution will take into account aspects of a tweet such as the age of the account it originates from, and whether it is in any way similar to other, previously spotted abusive content.
Twitter confirmed that this will not affect user ability to see content they have explicitly sought out, but is "designed to help us limit the potential harm of abusive content."
While dedicating more resources toward better responding to abuse reports is necessary and even critical, an equally important priority for us is identifying and limiting the incentives that enable and even encourage some users to engage in abuse," said Mr Doshi.
"We'll be monitoring how these changes discourage abuse and how they help ensure the overall health of a platform that encourages everyone's participation. And as the ultimate goal is to ensure that Twitter is a safe place for the widest possible range of perspectives, we will continue to evaluate and update our approach in this critical arena."

Last updated Tue 21 Apr 2015

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-04-21/twitter-to-filter-all-accounts-to-crack-down-on-online-abuse/

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down