MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mystery of Ben Needham

+27
mumof6
hesla
costello
Satsuma
joyce1938
Guinea Pig
Hope
chilli
Mo
Mimi
PMR
unreorganised
Helenmeg
Châtelaine
candyfloss
Bampots
dogs don't lie
bluebell
Inca
chrissie
TheTruthWillOut
Heisenburg
seahorse
froggy
chirpyinsect
Andrew
wjk
31 posters

Page 14 of 33 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23 ... 33  Next

Go down

The Mystery of Ben Needham  - Page 14 Empty Re: The Mystery of Ben Needham

Post  Andrew Mon 24 Oct 2016, 1:47 pm

bluebell wrote:
Andrew wrote:@Bluebell - see Seahorse's post @11:34 about the comment in the book.

Thanks Andrew = I did see Seahorse's post before I wrote that.   Just odd to me, water (or electricity) isn't free is it, so just made me wonder.

Will say in my defence for asking stupid questions that I have several friends who live in the areas of small villages in Spain.    Years ago one couple had no mains water or electric (not unusual) and their water was delivered by tanker and stored in their own little reservoir.   Another couple were only connected to mains water last year - their water previously was from their own rainwater collection stored in a sort of brick built pool.  Just made me compare situations.

I know what you mean about it being 'free' but then if the owner of the farmhouse (Michaelis) said they could live in the house rent-free if they did it up then a bit of free water and electricity in the meantime is nothing. (hence the comment in the book).

ETA - no of course it wasn't a stupid question. Sorry if you thought I implied it was. I didn't mean to Embarassed
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 24 Oct 2016, 2:07 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I always found it odd that they had their lunch at the decrepit farmhouse and not at the main house a stone throw away. I should imagine if there wasn't even a roof then there would hardly be somewhere to cook and prepare food as such. Just easier all round to walk 20 yards and prepare it / have it there etc.

Just a random thought anyway as I'm having my lunch.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Mon 24 Oct 2016, 2:56 pm

Andrew wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I always found it odd that they had their lunch at the decrepit farmhouse and not at the main house a stone throw away. I should imagine if there wasn't even a roof then there would hardly be somewhere to cook and prepare food as such. Just easier all round to walk 20 yards and prepare it / have it there etc.

Just a random thought anyway as I'm having my lunch.

Yes wouldn't think there would be crockery and cutlery or any condiments at the farmhouse. Even if Stephen did go to the shops for food, it still needs to be served up or chopped up etc.
A traditional Greek lunch would likely consist of olives, bread, tomatoes, cheese etc. Ok not impossible I know. Just seems odd, especially as they didn't know C and D were coming.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 24 Oct 2016, 3:23 pm

Should C and D read C and B or am I confusing myself...

I suppose it's not hard to rustle up a Greek Salad but it just certainly makes more sense that they'd be invited up to the main house for it. I would of thought Michaelis would've insisted upon it as well considering he was eating with them. scratch
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  seahorse Mon 24 Oct 2016, 3:29 pm

Andrew wrote:Should C and D read C and B or am I confusing myself...

I suppose it's not hard to rustle up a Greek Salad but it just certainly makes more sense that they'd be invited up to the main house for it. I would of thought Michaelis would've insisted upon it as well considering he was eating with them. scratch

What do you mean by  the 'main house'?

The dilapidated cottage was the main house. In the 1991 pictures you can see that the last bit had a roof. I think that was the kitchen, and where they were eating.

The stone house across the road was lived in by the old lady. I don't know who owned it though.

I agree with Chirpy about the crockery and cutlery. Even if it's finger food, you'd still need a knife to cut the bread, plates/bowls to put it on.
seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 24 Oct 2016, 3:48 pm

Shocked  Embarassed  pale  scratch

I might've got more than a few wires crossed here. The 'main house' as I referred to (which is 20 odd yards away and on the other side of the road), for some reason I'd thought actually belonged to Michaelis and that's where he lived?

The old lady was perhaps his mother. Wife even or just an old lady who lived with him.

So where did Michaelis live then?

Apologies everyone for getting all that wrong about the house then.

study
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  seahorse Mon 24 Oct 2016, 3:57 pm

Andrew wrote:Shocked  Embarassed  pale  scratch

I might've got more than a few wires crossed here. The 'main house' as I referred to (which is 20 odd yards away and on the other side of the road), for some reason I'd thought actually belonged to Michaelis and that's where he lived?

The old lady was perhaps his mother. Wife even or just an old lady who lived with him.

So where did Michaelis live then?

Apologies everyone for getting all that wrong about the house then.

study

The dilapidated cottage belonged to Michaelis' wife and he had promised her to do it up.

Stories are that Michaelis moved to Australia afterwards to live with his son, but I think he already lived in Australia beforehand. Not sure though.

I think this is him, which I've posted before:

http://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=ChY1&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&gsln=Kypreos&gsln_x=XO&gss=angs-c&rank=1&uidh=000&pcat=BMD_DEATH&h=1929582&db=FindAGraveAustralia&indiv=1&ml_rpos=8

seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 24 Oct 2016, 4:08 pm

Yes, I remember you posting that link and I would say that's more than likely the same person.

I'm still trying to work out why I was under the assumption the other house belonged to Michaelis as well.

I'm sure I read it somewhere. scratch

Can you remember the old lady's name from that house or was it never disclosed?
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Mon 24 Oct 2016, 4:11 pm

Gosh I'm so glad of these last few posts. I feel a bit ignorant of the situation as I've not read the book.
So were Michaelis and/or his wife Greek from Kos?
I thought the derelict building was a simple habitation typical of the area as it was before tourists.
Did his wife inherit it? The big new house across the road are they relatives?
Thanks for any info.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 24 Oct 2016, 4:31 pm

Not sure, Bluebell, about the other house or being related etc.

I think I've made a bit of a t!t of myself thinking wrongly that both houses belonged to the same person (Michaelis).

Quite a few pages from the book on this link (that I stumbled across trying to find more info on Michaelis)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=R2u9AwAAQBAJ&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=michaelis+kypreos&source=bl&ots=v7W-UvyqhD&sig=lgmF2pNTISJnNRsD6RcZBBIj24Y&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5jKnF3PPPAhWCDBoKHcA3DBgQ6AEIRzAI#v=onepage&q=michaelis%20kypreos&f=false
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  seahorse Mon 24 Oct 2016, 4:38 pm

I'm not surprised people are confused. The media always portrayed the stone house as being the farmhouse and the dilapidated cottage as an outbuilding of the farmhouse.

Only since the 2012 dig has it become more clear that the stone house is a separate dwelling altogether.

I don't think the old lady's name has ever been revealed.
seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Mon 24 Oct 2016, 5:10 pm

Andrew wrote:Not sure, Bluebell, about the other house or being related etc.

I think I've made a bit of a t!t of myself thinking wrongly that both houses belonged to the same person (Michaelis).

Quite a few pages from the book on this link (that I stumbled across trying to find more info on Michaelis)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=R2u9AwAAQBAJ&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=michaelis+kypreos&source=bl&ots=v7W-UvyqhD&sig=lgmF2pNTISJnNRsD6RcZBBIj24Y&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5jKnF3PPPAhWCDBoKHcA3DBgQ6AEIRzAI#v=onepage&q=michaelis%20kypreos&f=false

Thanks for that link Andrew, just read those pages. Gosh Kerry makes it all sound idyllic, but it couldn't have been easy for any of them. Strange country, different language and unable to read Greek, imagine it. There would have been that unbearably intense heat to contend with especially living in a caravan. I don't know I must read the book.

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Mon 24 Oct 2016, 5:13 pm

Andrew wrote:Should C and D read C and B or am I confusing myself...

No I meant Christine and Danny but of course Ben was with Christine.

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Mon 24 Oct 2016, 5:51 pm

I've been going back on all the posts here and want to ask if TTWO and satsuma could repost the photos of the old building please?  
I have tried but can't do it.   May not be important at all, but as Seahorse has said there is no sign of any electricity cables to the derelict building (in satsuma and TTWO's pics this is clear).
Maybe I shouldn't query such things but it doesn't relate to the book saying electricity available and I'm trying to make sense and understand it all.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 24 Oct 2016, 5:58 pm

If you tell me what page then I could do it (if they're not around). At least I could then offer something useful to the thread today Very Happy
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Mon 24 Oct 2016, 6:09 pm

Andrew wrote:If you tell me what page then I could do it (if they're not around). At least I could then offer something useful to the thread today Very Happy

Aaaah thanks so much Andrew. I'll find the posts and dates (bit later) - and must say in my opinion everything you add is useful. This is a 'discussion forum' isn't it? b flower

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Mon 24 Oct 2016, 10:45 pm

I see there is a good pic of the derelict building posted in the other place. By Doug D 8.17 on Friday 21/10
Is it acceptable to reproduce here ? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 24 Oct 2016, 11:20 pm

bluebell wrote:I see there is a good pic of the derelict building posted in the other place.  By  Doug D 8.17 on Friday 21/10
Is it acceptable to reproduce here ?          Wink

Yeah bring it over. Doug gets most of his info from here anyway so I'm sure he won't mind Very Happy
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Mon 24 Oct 2016, 11:30 pm

I can't manage it, been attempting for the past hour Embarassed Be very grateful if someone (Andrew?) could bring it over. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  seahorse Mon 24 Oct 2016, 11:33 pm

This one?

The Mystery of Ben Needham  - Page 14 Ben_er10

I think this was taken after they demolished the extension.
seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Mon 24 Oct 2016, 11:50 pm

@ Seahorse - Yes that's the one. Thanks for copying it.
I thought it was an old pic as the trees around and across the road don't appear so dense, but you are probably correct, my mistake.

Back to top Go down

Post  seahorse Tue 25 Oct 2016, 12:16 am

No worries.

This is the earliest known one from 1991:

The Mystery of Ben Needham  - Page 14 28526911
seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Tue 25 Oct 2016, 12:23 am

You can't imagine them all sitting around in that eating their Greek Salad lunch can you?
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Tue 25 Oct 2016, 12:33 am

Nor can I imagine it had water and electricity supplies, but I'm going to shut up about that now. Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post  Satsuma Tue 25 Oct 2016, 8:03 am

bluebell wrote:
Nor can I imagine it had water and electricity supplies, but I'm going to shut up about that now.              Neutral
Not really my area of expertise, but what is the yellow pipe/cable leading from the ground to the  cottage in the first photo posted by Seahorse?
Satsuma
Satsuma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 33 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23 ... 33  Next