MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mystery of Ben Needham

+27
mumof6
hesla
costello
Satsuma
joyce1938
Guinea Pig
Hope
chilli
Mo
Mimi
PMR
unreorganised
Helenmeg
Châtelaine
candyfloss
Bampots
dogs don't lie
bluebell
Inca
chrissie
TheTruthWillOut
Heisenburg
seahorse
froggy
chirpyinsect
Andrew
wjk
31 posters

Page 8 of 33 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 20 ... 33  Next

Go down

The Mystery of Ben Needham  - Page 8 Empty Re: The Mystery of Ben Needham

Post  Andrew Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:32 am

@Seahorse - I find it bizarre that pre 1991 they didn't have a pot then afterwards and a few years later they had had enough to more or less retire on.

With regards to the funding - I've seen at least 2 others recently set up (indirectly perhaps) to fill the Needham coffers.

@TTWO - Not at all. We wouldn't be questioning it unless the bog standard questions were already answered. But sadly they're not.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:39 am

canada12 wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Mimi wrote:The green shorts are puzzling me.  Christine hung them on a tree to dry and after Ben went missing, the shorts vanished as well.

I think it`s more likely that someone put them back on Ben before he was taken/driven/whisked away.  This would eliminate the digger driver.

The green shorts are more puzzling to me than the toy car.

'Don't mention the shorts....'

Well the police and the Needham family appear to forget about that one anyway...

Do we only have Christine's word that she hung the shorts on the tree to dry? Has anyone corroborated this as fact?

Admittedly, I'm a bit unfamiliar with the finer details of the short stuff.

Hopefully somebody else can confirm / elaborate.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  seahorse Fri 21 Oct 2016, 8:28 am

Andrew wrote:@Seahorse - I find it bizarre that pre 1991 they didn't have a pot then afterwards and a few years later they had had enough to more or less retire on.

With regards to the funding - I've seen at least 2 others recently set up (indirectly perhaps) to fill the Needham coffers.

@TTWO - Not at all. We wouldn't be questioning it unless the bog standard questions were already answered. But sadly they're not.

True. Also I can't find any info on the skips/recycling centres.

The fencing company is called Ecclesfield Fencing. Kerry and/or Craig became owner and managing director of it in around 2009. She sold it in early 2013 and moved to Turkey.

It still exists today under different ownership.

http://www.ecclesfieldfencing.com/80690/contact.php

No record of Kerry Grist having been a managing director:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09122227/officers

It is all a bit odd.
seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  seahorse Fri 21 Oct 2016, 8:56 am

Byline: HUGO DUNCAN

THE uncle of missing boy Ben Needham threatened a woman, saying she had ``only two hours to live,''a court heard yesterday.

Wrexham magistrates heard the threats were made to Alison Jarvis who is accused of stealing thousands of pounds from his family.

Steve Needham, who was charged with threatening behaviour,allegedly demanded pounds 22,000 back from her.

Miss Jarvis, 22,and her mother, Joan, 48, both of Cunningham Avenue, Wrexham, have denied taking the money from Ben's grandparents on May 29.

The money was an emergency fund to help trace Ben, who went missing on the Greek island of Kos in 1991,aged two.

Rhian Edwards, prosecuting, said Needham confronted Miss Jarvis as she walked along High Street, Wrexham, at 2.50am on Sunday,June 15.

They sat on a bench talking together but Miss Jarvis, who is on bail, alleged he became more threatening and demanded the money back.

She claimed he then told her she had only two hours to live.

He followed her to a taxi office, where he continued to be aggressive and made more threats.

Needham denied he made threats against Miss Jarvis's life but accepted he followed her to the taxi office and caused distress. He had said stupid things which he later regretted.

He was given a conditional discharge for two years.

Alun Williams, defending, said Needham knew she had been charged with stealing the money and went to talk to her about how he might get the missing money back.

The search for Ben had been an important part of his life and as a younger man he lived in Greece for 12 months trying to find his missing nephew.

Mr Williams added: ``The loss of the money upset the family greatly because it was to be used to launch a campaign and try to raise awareness. The theft had a catastrophic effect on the ongoing search for little Ben.''

Lady Kenyon,presiding, said in the exceptional circumstance of the case the magistrates would allow a conditional discharge.

Needham, 29,of Legsby,Market Rasen,Sheffield, was also ordered to pay pounds 55costs.

Pierce Mount, 35,of Strawberry Avenue, Ecclesfield, Sheffield, denied a similar charge of threatening behaviour. His case was adjourned with bail for four weeks. He is the partner of Ben's mum,Kerry Needham.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/%60You'll+be+dead+in+two+hours'+Missing+boy's+uncle+in+threat+case.-a0104523896
seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 21 Oct 2016, 9:01 am

Thanks for the links. Yes it is all a bit 'fishy'.

I had a quick look for directorships for Eddie Needham for these businesses he said he had. But nothing at all.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  seahorse Fri 21 Oct 2016, 9:03 am

Another strange story, now whooshed, but still in the Wayback machine.

Toddler Ben Needham disappeared over 15 years ago and mum Kerry still prays for his return.  
Heartbreakers  
Written by Dave Jarvis      
Thursday, 01 March 2007

The Greek island of Kos was blisteringly hot on July 24th,  1991, with temperatures reaching 120 degrees Fahrenheit. That sweltering evening Kerry Needham’s mother Christine, 52, battled through the oppressive heat and arrived breathless and panic-stricken at a hotel on the island where 19-year-old Kerry was working as a waitress.

She had rushed from a farmhouse which she and husband Eddy, 56, were renovating for their new life together with Kerry and little Ben.She broke the news that blonde-haired Ben, then just 21-months old, had disappeared sometime that afternoon from the gardens behind the farmhouse.

At first Christine thought Ben was with Kerry’s brother, Stephen, 32. But when Stephen returned on his moped to the farmhouse without Ben, one of the longest running missing persons cases in British history began.

Fifteen years later, Ben, who would now be aged 16 if he is still alive, hasn’t been found.There have been sightings, DNA tests on one child suspected to have been snatched which turned out to be a red herring, numerous appeals, rewards of up to £250,000 offered, photographic reconstructions of how Ben would look today, but still Ben’s fate remains a mystery.

Ben’s elder sister Leighanna, 12, who shares his fair complexion, was even taken to the island as a toddler to take part in a reconstruction of Ben’s disappearance but with no result other than more heartache for Kerry and the Needham family.The emotional cost to Kerry, now 34, has been immense.

“There are no more leads to follow. There is nothing left to cling on to,” says Kerry, who has always believed Ben was kidnapped for money and handed over to an illegal adoption agency. Today she believes he is living a ‘normal’ childhood, the son of a well off family in Australia or the United States.“If there was something I could do I would do it. If there was somewhere I could go I would go,” says Kerry.

“All I have left is my mother’s instinct which says ‘hold on’ because as a mother I will never give up on Ben.“I have reached the stage now where I know my family and I have done everything we can. I have searched my heart out for him.“But now I am waiting for Ben to find me because I believe one day he will. I’m not really religious but I prey that he will find me. “Wherever he is he is 16 years old now and if he is anything like his sister Leighanna he will start asking questions because he will be inquisitive.“He will ask: ‘Where is my birth certificate? Why don’t I look like my mother and father? Why do I feel different?’

“When that process happens he will find me. I believe that. I have to.”

But there are darker thoughts which Kerry has more difficulty talking about.“Sometimes I admit I believe it would have been easier on me and my family if they had found a body.“We could have moved on. But because he could still be alive we have that hope which has slowly been tearing us apart emotionally.

“I don’t think I could face another 15 years of empty hope yet if you gave me a crystal ball and it showed Ben returning to me after another fifteen years I would gladly wait. It’s hard to describe.“My father has always blamed himself because he was working on the farmhouse nearby when Ben disappeared.“Because he felt he had lost Ben he felt it was his duty to find him and for years he followed every lead. It nearly killed him and I had to tell him to stop.

”The burden of Ben’s disappearance has also taken its toll on Kerry who returned to her home city of Sheffield after losing her son. The pain drove her to attempt suicide and in the first years after Ben disappeared she took two overdoses and slit her writs. Her relationship with Simon buckled under the pressure of the relentless search for Ben and after he was convicted of robbery in 1994, just two weeks after the birth of their second child Leighanna, Kerry broke up with him.

After that there was an eight year relationship with former boxer Pierce Mount and a fling with a dancer called Jimmy Santos Yan who she met during a holiday in the Dominican Republic in 2004.“I’ve been an emotionally yo yo” says Kerry.“Pierce was Pierce. He made me laugh and Leighanna called him dad. But he couldn’t cope with parenthood.

“When he drank he got rough and that was the end of that. We split up because I didn’t want Leighanna around that sort of behaviour.“I know what has happened to Ben has made me over protective of Leighanna but I think that is only natural. I won’t take any risks with her. “After Pierce I wasn’t interested in men at all. It was me and Leighanna and the search for Ben. That is all that mattered.“But I met Jimmy on the first holiday I had had since I lost Ben.

It was a holiday romance and at the time I thought it might be the real thing.“But when I sent him $1000 to help him come to Sheffield, I didn’t hear from him again. You live and learn.”After that Kerry openly admits, “My trust in men was zero. Leighanna and I had enough to cope with without being let down by men and I kept myself to myself after Jimmy.

”Keeping herself to herself involved locking herself in her well kept three-bedroomed council house on the anniversaries of Ben’s disappearance and staring at pictures of him, weeping and then pulling herself together before Leighanna returned from school. Or falling asleep alone and experiencing the recurring dream of Ben being returned to her front door by Det Sgt Malcolm Silk of South Yorkshire Police with the words: “I’ve got someone here who wants to see you.”That is until handsome fence builder Craig Grist, 23, who is 11 years her junior, walked into her life.

Kerry was holding down a job as a receptionist at fencing firm in Sheffield, where she still works, when Craig asked her out.She turned him down – every day for 18 months – still frightened of another disappointment. But that changed just over a year ago when Kerry, who says Craig has kind eyes, wasn’t going to take no for an answer.“He’s my toy boy,” jokes Kerry, who despite the tough shell she has built around herself to survive the disappointments and heartache of Ben’s loss, still manages to be optimistic.“Actually Craig is anything but a toy boy. He is a man with two daughters of his own from a previous relationship – Kiera, five and Regan, two - and he knows how to face up to his responsibilities like a man.

“Last year on July 24th, for the first time we did something as a family to try and be happy. Craig arranged a barbeque and we had a good time. We weren’t forgetting about Ben, but I am very aware that Leighanna must come first now, and as a family we were happy. “I’m not sure what we will do this year. I will have to see how I feel. But thanks to Craig we coping better these days. ”After a whirlwind romance we can reveal the couple got married at a Sheffield registry office on April 24 this year and have just returned from honeymoon in northern Cyprus where Kerry’s mum and dad have now set up home.

“We had a wedding ceremony in Cyprus too and we have had a wonderful, wonderful time,” says Kerry. “My late grandmother Edna always wanted me to marry using her wedding ring and that is what I have done.”Craig, who is a quietly spoken but resolute man said: “The age difference is not an issue to me at all.

Why should it be? No one would bat an eye if it was the other way round.“When you fall for somebody you don’t see an age or a history you see a person who you know you connect with.“Mind you, it took 18 months of trying. When Kerry finally agreed to come out with me I just punched the air and shouted ‘Yes!’.

Since then we’ve never looked back.“I don’t talk about Ben unless Kerry wants to in which case we chat about him. But otherwise I don’t believe it’s my place.“We’ve got a long time ahead of us and whatever the future holds for Kerry, Leighanna and Ben, I’m here for them. I’m sure they know that.”Kerry is moving on with her life and trying to leave the dark days behind her. But she knows it will be a difficult balancing act.“I’m two different people living under one roof,” she says.

“I’m now Mrs Grist with a husband and duty to Craig to make our marriage a happy one.“And I’m also Kerry Needham who will always keep my hope alive that Ben and I will be reunited.“When I start to hope too much for Ben’s return I can get depressed and I have to guard against that and be Mrs Grist for my sake and for Craig and Leighanna’s sake.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20070927222658/http://www.newsmonster.co.uk/toddler-ben-needham-disappeared-over-15-years-ago-and-mum-kerry-still-preys-for-his-re.html

seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 21 Oct 2016, 9:09 am

Blimey, interesting stuff.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  seahorse Fri 21 Oct 2016, 9:13 am

Andrew wrote:Blimey, interesting stuff.

This was just before Madeleine's disappearance. The story has changed a bit since, I must say.
seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised Fri 21 Oct 2016, 9:25 am

Well I've seen enough to be convinced that this case will never be solved.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 21 Oct 2016, 9:49 am

It could be very much like another case, where they now have all the answers but are struggling to know exactly what to do with them.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Fri 21 Oct 2016, 9:51 am

http://textusa.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/the-road-of-no-return-and-apologies.html

As Textusa has written about the case, I'll put the link here too.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised Fri 21 Oct 2016, 10:05 am

Andrew wrote:It could be very much like another case, where they now have all the answers but are struggling to know exactly what to do with them.

I think you were spot on earlier on when you speculated that somebody might have appropriated one of the machines after its owner had packed in for the day. It's possible that the police have played a blinder here, and have obtained the permission of certain parties to run with some stuff in the hope of squeezing the truth out. But I won't hold my breath. Certain types just don't do truth, especially where the Police are involved. That's going to be my last input to this thread.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 21 Oct 2016, 11:47 am

Yeah that's certainly the theory that I'm alluding to.

A shame you won't be continuing on this thread though.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:06 pm

I have never followed the case until recently but after watching "Somebody Knows" the fact of the shorts loomed large to me - and considering I had read somewhere (snippet from Kerry`s book?) that supposedly the digger wasn`t operating that day - I just thought why the hell are the police pointing the finger at the digger driver.

I didn`t realise I shouldn`t mention the shorts, having not really followed the case.  Is it a sensitive issue for Christine?

P.S. Also in that film I didn`t think SN was hypnotised - it`s quite easy to `not go under` and be in conscious control. I thought there were a lot of inconsistencies in that session, i.e. not wanting to look back and not wanting to hover over the scene - his reaction was weird and I would like to hear assessments from other hypnotherapists on that over-reaction.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:17 pm

Hi Mimi. It was a sort of tongue and cheek remark in 'don't mention the shorts'.

It's something that the Police have (afaik) never really mentioned. And by all accounts it appears to be something the Needham camp don't seem to make a fuss about either.

Although could be wrong there.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:21 pm

In regards to the hypnosis stuff.. I read in another place by TB that the Needhams got their lawyers in to suppress the results from it (or something similar - can't be bothered to look back and quote exactly).

But can anyone confirm if there is any truth in that?

Thanks.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:49 pm

Andrew wrote:In regards to the hypnosis stuff.. I read in another place by TB that the Needhams got their lawyers in to suppress the results from it (or something similar - can't be bothered to look back and quote exactly).

Thanks.
No I think the lawyers were there to verify what Stephen said under hypnosis. Just in case anyone tried to say he said something different.
Stephen was asked to go through what he had done on leaving the house. It was fine till he was asked what he could see when he turned round. He got upset at that because he says he didn't turn round so couldn't account for seeing anything. Apparently, according to the book, he was asked where he would have buried a body (if he had killed Ben.)

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:53 pm

From the post by seahorse:

Heartbreakers
Written by Dave Jarvis
Thursday, 01 March 2007

The Greek island of Kos was blisteringly hot on July 24th, 1991, with temperatures reaching 120 degrees Fahrenheit. That sweltering evening Kerry Needham’s mother Christine, 52, battled through the oppressive heat and arrived breathless and panic-stricken at a hotel on the island where 19-year-old Kerry was working as a waitress.

She had rushed from a farmhouse which she and husband Eddy, 56, were renovating for their new life together with Kerry and little Ben.She broke the news that blonde-haired Ben, then just 21-months old, had disappeared sometime that afternoon from the gardens behind the farmhouse.

At first Christine thought Ben was with Kerry’s brother, Stephen, 32. But when Stephen returned on his moped to the farmhouse without Ben, one of the longest running missing persons cases in British history began.

I need to check this but can't do it until later. When I watch part of the Somebody Knows doc last night, I'm sure it shows Stephen taking a phone call and saying something like Ben? No he's not here.

I'll have a look again later but just wondering when they actually realised he apparently hadbn't gone with Stephen.

Apologies if I'm wrong.
chrissie
chrissie

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:29 pm

It's my understanding that Eddie and Christine went to Kerry's flat - where Stephen had earlier gone for a shower - and it was there that he said that Ben wasn't with him.

I haven't time now to check whether the documentary says something different.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:58 pm

Thanks Freedom. I'll check later.
chrissie
chrissie

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 21 Oct 2016, 2:08 pm

chirpyinsect wrote:
Andrew wrote:In regards to the hypnosis stuff.. I read in another place by TB that the Needhams got their lawyers in to suppress the results from it (or something similar - can't be bothered to look back and quote exactly).

Thanks.
No I think the lawyers were there to verify what Stephen said under hypnosis. Just in case anyone tried to say he said something different.
Stephen was asked to go through what he had done on leaving the house. It was fine till he was asked what he could see when he turned round. He got upset at that because he says he didn't turn round so couldn't account for seeing anything. Apparently, according to the book, he was asked where he would have buried a body (if he had killed Ben.)

What TB wrote:

Moreover Kerry Needham's lawyers took out an injunction against the TV company - and the hypnotist - ever revealing exactly what Stephen said whilst under hypnosis.

Can anyone here verify if there is any truth in the above please?
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Fri 21 Oct 2016, 2:33 pm

Ah didn't see that Andrew. But it made you go and check lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:03 pm

Freedom wrote:It's my understanding that Eddie and Christine went to Kerry's flat - where Stephen had earlier gone for a shower - and it was there that he said that Ben wasn't with him.

Reading Kerry's book, Christine had gone back to the caravan.She saw the fuel but S wasn't there. Danny and Eddie arrived 20 mins later.It was Eddie who went to Kerry's flat. He heard the shower but it was only Stephen. E and S went back to the caravan then E and D went to the farmhouse while C and S went to the police station.

In the book there is a passage about Ben soaking himself with water from the barrel, yet C insisted to E in the documentary that he had wet himself.
The documentary came out in 2001, I think. The book wasn't till 2013. So why the change? Maybe just a memory lapse.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:06 pm

Very Happy

And a more recent one:

* Kerry and Stephen Needham used solicitors to suppress the full findings of the hypnotist

I'm very intrigued by this (if there is of course any truth in it and not just the usual ramblings)
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  seahorse Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:14 pm

Freedom wrote:It's my understanding that Eddie and Christine went to Kerry's flat - where Stephen had earlier gone for a shower - and it was there that he said that Ben wasn't with him.

From ‘Somebody Knows’ (2001):

It was only later that evening, around 7.30 that Eddie found Stephen showering at Kerry’s flat , that they realised Ben was missing.
Stephen: I was out still in the shower. He knocked on the shower door and said: “Have you got Ben with you?”, And I said, No.

Book (2013):

Christine walked back to the caravan. No one there, but saw jerry can full of petrol. Assumed Stephen had taken Ben to Hotel for a swim. Started preparing dinner. It was around 5pm.
Around 5.20 pm Eddie and Danny arrived at caravan. Eddie not worried.
Around 5.30 pm Eddie arrives at Kerry’s flat, where he hears the shower. He is relieved and has glass of water and makes himself comfortable. A few minutes later Stephen comes out of the shower. Just Stephen. Stephen says he didn’t take Ben with him. Shock sets in. They return to caravan.
Around 6 pm Eddie and Danny return to farmhouse in Landrover. Mum and Stephen went to Kos Police on the motorbike.
6.30 Kos Police despatched to farmhouse

-------------------------------------------

2 hours difference between the documentary and the book with regards to Eddie's arrival at the flat!

Kos police know what time the disappearance was reported and so do SYP!

seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 33 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 20 ... 33  Next