MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brenda Leyland has died (Sweepyface) RIP Brenda

+29
Burst
dogs don't lie
hesla
Justformaddiemccann
AndyB
Poppy
Jellybot
candyfloss
Praia de Suiza
Mimi
saloongirl
ROMAntici
Anne
KathyBelle
Admin
Poe
Fiat500
Meteor
travis macbickle
Lioned
Dee Coy
Cristobell
dantezebu
Baldrick
Andrew
Châtelaine
chilli
coppernob
Freedom
33 posters

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Brenda Leyland has died (Sweepyface) RIP Brenda   - Page 5 Empty Was Brenda Leyland really a troll?

Post  dantezebu Mon 06 Oct 2014, 4:18 pm

Allowing comments.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/06/was-brenda-leyland-really-a-troll-mccanns
Was Brenda Leyland really a troll?
Accused of trolling the McCanns, Leyland didn’t conform to our stereotyped idea of a troll – but those stereotypes quickly fail
Share 35

Claire Hardaker
theguardian.com, Monday 6 October 2014 15.17 BST
Jump to comments (82)
Kate McCann, Gerry McCann
‘The McCanns have faced a barrage of online abuse, including threats of violence, murder and abduction of their other children.’ Photograph: Lefteris Pitarakis/AP
When three-year-old Madeleine McCann disappeared from her hotel bedroom in Praia da Luz seven years ago, her parents could not have envisioned that, on top of the horror of their child’s disappearance, they might be faced with an unremitting barrage of online abuse, including threats of violence, murder and abduction of their other children.

Perhaps in hindsight it might seem obvious. Every major case – Princess Diana’s death, 9/11, even the birth of President Obama – seems to have its contingent of those who believe that a conspiracy of silence has descended on the police and the media, and that people high up are actively engaged in a whitewash so that the real facts never emerge. Those individuals spend hours of their time campaigning to have the “truth” recognised.

One of those individuals was Brenda Leyland. A well-spoken, middle-class, 63-year-old mother of two, who lived in a picturesque village. Leyland regularly took to Twitter to draw attention to what she felt was an appalling miscarriage of justice. Last week, she found herself revealed to the nation by a television news team who exposed her as a “troll”. But was she really a troll?

The first problem is the use of the word. It has become a catch-all term for everything from minor disagreements through to annoying incivility through to criminal behaviour such as death threats. When we think of trolls, the stereotype is of angry, unemployed, disenfranchised young men who exist in a miserable, hermit-like darkness that is void of compassion or loving relationships – young men like John Nimmo, for instance, who was jailed for sending abusive messages to feminist campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez. We assume stupidity, alcohol abuse, and social issues. We like to think that they must be so obviously damaged that we would spot them in the street.

However, when we look at cases that have resulted in convictions, the stereotype quickly fails: Peter Nunn was a 33-year-old father; Isabella Sorley was a 23-year-old university graduate; Frank Zimmerman was 60. Even if we could create a troll stereotype from these cases, about the only common theme is that those who get caught are likely to be less than savvy about keeping themselves unfindable online.

Alternatively, they may be so impassioned about a “cause” that they cannot see how their behaviour has escalated out of control. Both convictions and the data show that stereotypes mislead us dangerously because they encourage us to focus only on those who fit the bill, when in reality, the genteel elderly man who moved to let you sit next to him on the train could be sending vile rape threats to his employer via his smartphone. Those who troll can be any age, any gender, anyone at all, and so it begins to look as though the label would fit Leyland too.

The second problem is that the word “troll” has become shorthand for describing any behaviour online that may cause offence. It conjures up strong feelings of repulsion and disgust, and doubtless some watching a bewildered Leyland trying to escape the TV news team last week will have felt a grim satisfaction, and thought to themselves: “She shouldn’t dish out what she can’t take.”

But what was she actually dishing out? Looking over the 5,000-plus tweets from her @sweepyface account, there is clearly a fixation – even an unsettling obsession with the McCanns. She describes them as neglectful parents, objects to their ongoing media appearances, and complains that they are profiting from their daughter’s disappearance. And when people challenge her, she calls them unpleasant names, disputes their evidence and blocks them. In short, her conduct would aggravate some and deeply offend others – but much the same could be said of select comedians, journalists and celebrities who can reach millions. Leyland’s account had a mere 182 followers by the time it suddenly vanished. The crucial question is: did she incite others to harm the McCanns? Or threaten to abduct the McCanns’ other children? Or pose any clear menace?

On Twitter at least it doesn’t seem so. She regularly tweeted the Metropolitan police and Crimewatch, demanding they do more. She would highlight what she felt were untruths in the stories of major press outlets such as the Daily Mail. She railed at media outlets such as LBC for not airing what she felt was the other side of the story. And at the same time, she ensconced herself within a small network of other Twitter users who supported her, agreed with her, and perhaps gave her a sense of identity and importance as a figurehead campaigning for what she believed was justice for Madeleine.

Ultimately, individuals who troll or become obsessed with conspiracy theories can be driven by many factors – boredom, loneliness, a need for validation – and we cannot discount the possibility of mental health problems. At times, their behaviour may border on loathsome, but a news team with a high-profile journalist at the helm is not the way to bring about justice.
dantezebu
dantezebu

Back to top Go down

Brenda Leyland has died (Sweepyface) RIP Brenda   - Page 5 Empty Re: Brenda Leyland has died (Sweepyface) RIP Brenda

Post  Guest Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:03 pm

dantezebu wrote:
Ultimately, individuals who troll or become obsessed with conspiracy theories can be driven by many factors – boredom, loneliness, a need for validation – and we cannot discount the possibility of mental health problems. At times, their behaviour may border on loathsome, but a news team with a high-profile journalist at the helm is not the way to bring about justice.

I notice that her perhaps actually having a point was not considered.

Back to top Go down

Brenda Leyland has died (Sweepyface) RIP Brenda   - Page 5 Empty Re: Brenda Leyland has died (Sweepyface) RIP Brenda

Post  Freedom Mon 06 Oct 2014, 5:13 pm

Well, this is a comment from someone in the mainstream media, so Brenda's (or any other McCann doubter) having a point wouldn't enter the writer's head!

Seicento, I'm not sure if you realise that the words you quoted are not those of Dantezebu.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Mon 06 Oct 2014, 6:02 pm

Claire Hardakre has just been on Radio4 PM with Eddie Mair and she seemed much more sympathetic to Brenda than in the article above. She said her tweets were inoffensive except for one that said she hoped their lives would be miserable. She said she was not tweeting to the McCanns but about them to fellow tweeters. She also said that she has seen far worse tweeting going on and that there is a need for caution when calling people trolls when all they do is disagree with something. I think free speeach was mentioned. I will need to listen to it again. It will be on BBC iplayer later - it starts about 25 mins into the programme.

The piece started with Gerry McCann asking for trolls to be punished and then led to the death of Brenda.
Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 06 Oct 2014, 6:09 pm

Gerry McCann is guilty of vast hypocrisy is he not?  Campaigning for 'Hacked Off', and against the media for invading people's privacy.  Surely he should be saying something about Sky News invading Brenda's privacy, shouldn't he?

I won't hold my breath.

Back to top Go down

Post  dantezebu Mon 06 Oct 2014, 6:19 pm

Freedom wrote:Well, this is a comment from someone in the mainstream media, so Brenda's (or any other McCann doubter) having a point wouldn't enter the writer's head!

Seicento, I'm not sure if you realise that the words you quoted are not those of Dantezebu.

Definitely not my words.
dantezebu
dantezebu

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Mon 06 Oct 2014, 6:48 pm

wlbts wrote:Gerry McCann is guilty of vast hypocrisy is he not?  Campaigning for 'Hacked Off', and against the media for invading people's privacy.  Surely he should be saying something about Sky News invading Brenda's privacy, shouldn't he?

I won't hold my breath.

Yes, it`s ironic that all this is scoring points for Hacked Off - but, as you say, we don`t hear GM or his friends coming out and condemning Brenda`s death. Bit of a cleft stick for our Gerry.
Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 06 Oct 2014, 10:31 pm

CMOMM Admin has put Cristobels blog up with a full link....That has to be applauded in light of all what has happened in the last month or so.
Its time we all stood together....Again
Well done.... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  travis macbickle Mon 06 Oct 2014, 11:46 pm

Cristobell.s latest blog does seem to have attracted a rather large number of McCann supporters which is very odd indeed given the subject matter.
I wonder if  this is connected to the thread in CMoMM as mentioned above by Chillyheat.
Some latent McC supporter(s) on CMoMM  needing an outlet for their propaganda!
Is that too cynical?

Beware lawyers bearing gifts.
travis macbickle
travis macbickle

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Tue 07 Oct 2014, 4:41 am

KATIE Hopkins has caused public outrage after attacking the parents of Madeleine McCann on Twitter.

Very interesting read in the Daily Star, including Katie Hopkin's tweets,  but what suprised me more were the comments that the Star has allowed to be printed. It won't let me copy, I wonder how long those comments will stay there?

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/403533/Katie-Hopkins-Twitter-fat-children
Anne
Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:42 am

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:47 am

To balance the better stuff, we're now at the complete opposite of the spectrum.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/suncolumnists/lorrainekelly/5967774/Sun-columnist-Lorraine-Kelly-says-McCann-internet-trolls-deserve-prosecution.html

I can't access the whole article but the first bit is bad enough for me.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:54 am

That from L.K was from Saturday's article.

I should imagine she will keep that horrible gob of hers shut now in light of what's happened.

For a while anyway. Stupid woman.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:57 am

Yes, sorry, things have moved so fast that I didn't notice that this was from Saturday.

If anyone has been trolling the twins, they certainly deserve to be taken to task for it but I doubt that it's happened.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:12 am

Jencalo_Amoral ‏@TheJENReturns  now2 minutes ago
@TheSpectator7 ~ hardly ever tweeted her afaik but yes Scotland Yard may call if they wish. Nowt to hide here #mccann

Deleted tweeted this just now.

Another of Deleted tweets from Dec 2013.

@Sweepyface - You'll piss off when they come knocking on the door. It's happened to others so be prepared.

The police need to look into Deleted. She is one vile and nasty piece of work.

Just what is her connection to the Mccanns apart from being on the payroll..?

Andrew do you have absolute proof this is the person.  It is not fact is it, therefore has been deleted as you are accusing and perhaps not rightly
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:19 am

dantezebu wrote:
Freedom wrote:Well, this is a comment from someone in the mainstream media, so Brenda's (or any other McCann doubter) having a point wouldn't enter the writer's head!

Definitely not my words.

Apologies, I was quoting the article - the quote box assigned it to Dantezebu. Apologies for any confusion.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:23 am

Admin - the world and his dog know it's that stupid and vile woman.

They abuse poor Brenda and are largely responsible for what happened to her.

I want justice. Sorry.

If I can't voice my opinions on here then I'm done and will quit.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:25 am

Well much as I dislike Katie Hopkins, she certainly has hit the nail on the head, then I noticed this on my facebook feed, the majority agree, some quite interesting comments too.

https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/posts/975975339116323

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:28 am

Andrew wrote:Admin - the world and his dog know it's that stupid and vile woman.

They abuse poor Brenda and are largely responsible for what happened to her.

I want justice. Sorry.

If I can't voice my opinions on here then I'm done and will quit.
Do they?  Do you know this as fact Andrew, have you seen actual proof, or just people saying on sites and twitter.  You cannot go outing people and saying things when there is no proof..........show me proof and it is fine in that case. 

Weren't you complaining before in another place about lies and outings?  Isn't this the same.  I am only before fair, and am not having this forum accused of libel.  I don't know if this is or is not the person, but I am NOT outing people without proof.  Even then, if they are threatening and causing trouble then the police is where it should go, not on a forum.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://maddiemccannmystery.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:30 am

Freedom wrote:To balance the better stuff, we're now at the complete opposite of the spectrum.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/suncolumnists/lorrainekelly/5967774/Sun-columnist-Lorraine-Kelly-says-McCann-internet-trolls-deserve-prosecution.html

I can't access the whole article but the first bit is bad enough for me.

Remember this, love it, go for it Jon.

Anne
Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:32 am

Andrew, I understand your anger when harmless individuals are humiliated and maybe driven to suicide (the facts have yet to be ascertained re Brenda's death) while the real scum of the earth is allowed to do and say what it wants.

However, I don't see how anyone can say with certainty that one particularly vile Twitter poster is the same as another.

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:41 am

Freedom wrote:Andrew, I understand your anger when harmless individuals are humiliated and maybe driven to suicide (the facts have yet to be ascertained re Brenda's death) while the real scum of the earth is allowed to do and say what it wants.

However, I don't see how anyone can say with certainty that one particularly vile Twitter poster is the same as another.

Yeah really angry about it all. No we don't know the exact facts re Brenda's death as yet. We do know that she was getting nasty messages from the likes of who I mentioned and from others that are the paid shills of the Mccanns.

It's common knowledge that that twitterer is that person I mentioned.

However to abide by forum rules then I need proof. Will find it when got time.

Sorry CF for my rant. Just really pissed off at this moment in time.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:47 am

Snipped from Daily Mirror:

The McCanns passed a file of online abuse to police last week.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-trolls-4220-hate-4393238

Thought the McCanns didn't read tweets, don't tell me he's lied again!!
Anne
Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:53 am

This is what I was talking about - i.e. that tweets 100 times worse are sent out in the support of the McCanns.  Have a look at this,

MCCANN SUPPORTER TWEETS TO SWEEPYFACE

http://cristobell.blogspot.co.uk/
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://maddiemccannmystery.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next