MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook news

+25
niklasericson
unreorganised
Freedom
Winslow Boy
Châtelaine
joyce1938
chrissie
Bloodhound
Guinea Pig
PMR
Poe
Mo
costello
MrsC
Bubblewrapped
TheTruthWillOut
JJ
AndyB
froggy
hesla
candyfloss
bluebell
Mimi
Andrew
chirpyinsect
29 posters

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Facebook news - Page 11 Empty Re: Facebook news

Post  Freedom Wed 23 Nov 2016, 4:11 pm

I might set up a poll on this - no, all right, I won't!

I still think it's absolutely appalling and believe that I still would if I didn't have a male relative who has experienced domestic violence.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Wed 23 Nov 2016, 4:17 pm

It fell flat with me - couldn`t even summon a smile - just a sneer I`m afraid.  I agree with you Freedom.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 23 Nov 2016, 4:51 pm

Not sure if it's a bloke thing then that thought the joke was amusing. Or just me.

I don't know of anyone close who has suffered from domestic violence as such which I think would sway the outcome of which way the joke is perceived?

I would absolutely find it in appalling taste if it was the other way round.

I certainly don't condone violence of any sorts but I just saw that as bit of tongue and cheek lighthearted humour. A bit of old school sort of banter where the Mrs where's the trousers sort of stuff.

Err... Trying to explain my way out of it but not doing a very good job Embarassed
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Wed 23 Nov 2016, 4:54 pm

A bit O/T as it isn't from facebook, but I've got a joke and I think it's funny so I hope noone is offended. Smile

A friend of mine has two tickets for the Formula l final race of the season, the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, at the YAS Marina circuit on the weekend of 25th - 27th November.
They are box premier seats and business class flights, hospitality & hotel accommodation. He didn’t realise when he bought them that this is the same day as his wedding.

If you’re interested and want to go instead of him it’s at St Johns Church, Worcester at 2.15 pm on the 26th. Her name is Janet. She’ll be the one in the white dress. It may help if you take a couple of hankies along.

Have a nice day

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wed 23 Nov 2016, 4:56 pm

cheers Laughing
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Wed 23 Nov 2016, 5:21 pm

Laughing

ETA can I buy the tickets? I'd love to see "our" Max perform ...
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Wed 23 Nov 2016, 6:04 pm

Andrew wrote:Not sure if it's a bloke thing then that thought the joke was amusing. Or just me.

I don't know of anyone close who has suffered from domestic violence as such which I think would sway the outcome of which way the joke is perceived?

I would absolutely find it in appalling taste if it was the other way round.

I certainly don't condone violence of any sorts but I just saw that as bit of tongue and cheek lighthearted humour. A bit of old school sort of banter where the Mrs where's the trousers sort of stuff.

Err... Trying to explain my way out of it but not doing a very good job Embarassed

Laughing

I don`t know anyone who`s suffered DV either Andrew, only DA (domestic abuse). I think it fell flat with me cos I get sick and tired or all the feminism stuff about women being equal to men etc. and that joke was about that.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 24 Nov 2016, 8:18 am

Sorry. yes DA instead of DV.

From a blokes point of view - I didn't notice anything about 'feminism' in it.

Just a sort of 'thick ear' if you don't do what you've been told stuff.

But again - I didn't see it as being 'equal'.

I saw it as the Mrs being in control and being the 'boss'.

Which 9 times out of 10 they think they are...

Never cross a scorned woman. Someone many years ago once said to me.

Pretty decent advice that I later found out. Very Happy
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Thu 24 Nov 2016, 9:04 am

To me, it's not to do with feminism and equality - only a horror that violence against another person (unless in self-defence) can ever be excused, trivialised and treated as hilarious.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised Thu 24 Nov 2016, 9:25 am

Freedom wrote:To me, it's not to do with feminism and equality - only a horror that violence against another person (unless in self-defence) can ever be excused,  trivialised and treated as hilarious.

So you wouldn't find amusement in somebody repeatedly hitting Hazel Blears in the face with a frying pan then? Because I've got to be honest, I don't think I'd be able to help myself.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Thu 24 Nov 2016, 9:31 am

I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't heard of her until now.

Confession time, I used to dream of suitable punishments for the likes of Tony Blair and George Bush Junior but that's all it is - fantasy.

No, the thought of physical violence - except as I've said in self-defence - is anathema to me.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised Thu 24 Nov 2016, 9:32 am

Freedom wrote:I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't heard of her until now.

Oh well. Sorry to have to be the one to break the news of her existence to you. And I mean that sincerely.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 24 Nov 2016, 9:37 am

Fellow Labour MP Frank Dobson once jokingly remarked about her height, "The good thing about global warming is that Hazel Blears will be the first to go when the water rises."
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised Thu 24 Nov 2016, 9:47 am

Andrew wrote:Fellow Labour MP Frank Dobson once jokingly remarked about her height, "The good thing about global warming is that Hazel Blears will be the first to go when the water rises."

Very funny, although I hope Dobson doesn't think that a rare moment of clarity lets him off the hook. He's still a prize skuzfurtler. (I just made that word up).
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 28 Nov 2016, 9:58 am

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Facebook news - Page 11 Empty Re:A Rant about Facebook.

Post  costello Sun 01 Jan 2017, 6:17 pm

I have to say I have never rated Facebook before, too much information being passed from one person to another for no good reason, in my opinion.Although the reason I did join a year or so back were the Madeleine McCann sites, one of which I am a member. However something happened today re- the suspected disappearance of one of the members, who has diabetes, suffers from depression and doesn't like Christmas she seemed to have no contact with any of her friends for around two days. The Facebook members connected in a way I couldn't believe, the police were contacted, after an address was finally worked out (it did take a couple hours) again by one of the members. The outcome Julia is safe and well (thankfully) her internet connection had been down and she hadn't been aware of it.

The power of the internet. I bet the McCanns et al, didn't see this coming in 2007.
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Sun 01 Jan 2017, 7:27 pm

Like most things in life, used correctly, Facebook has some very good points. Here in Cyprus we have a lot of missing/lost or sometimes abandoned pets. We have numerous groups to share the info and numerous creatures have been reunited with their owners. Abandoned dogs find forever homes or sponsorship is raised to pay vet bills etc. One little dog escaped from a foster home whilst still wearing a plastic cone because he had been neutered. He was on the run for several weeks but was sighted many times. Searchers went out daily and stayed in touch via FB. Zak was eventually brought in though his collar had eaten in to his trachea. He is safe and doing well and looking for a permanent home.

Back to top Go down

Facebook news - Page 11 Empty Re: A rant about facebook.

Post  costello Sun 01 Jan 2017, 8:37 pm

chirpyinsect wrote:Like most things in life, used correctly, Facebook has some very good points. Here in Cyprus we have a lot of missing/lost or sometimes abandoned pets. We have numerous groups to share the info and numerous creatures have been reunited with their owners. Abandoned dogs find forever homes or sponsorship is raised to pay vet bills etc. One little dog escaped from a foster home whilst still wearing a plastic cone because he had been neutered. He was on the run for several weeks but was sighted many times. Searchers went out daily and stayed in touch via FB. Zak was eventually brought in though his collar had eaten in to his trachea. He is safe and doing well and looking for a permanent home.

Yes I totally agree with you here Chirpy.  I have just started a new job around July last year. It's in a Golf Club, a member phoned in last month to say he would be delayed due to the fact that the postman had left his gate open and his dog had disappeared, he was frantic as his wife had been visiting her family in Suffolk. However he phoned his wife who was a member of facebook and she posted the dog's disappearance within 45 minutes the dog was found alive and well (thankfully). So great result. I'm not condoning fb, it's just I do think it should be used as a necessity that's all.

Great to hear about the success rate with the missing animals in Cyprus Chirpy, that's what I really think Facebook should be all about.

Last edited by costello on Sun 01 Jan 2017, 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added information.)
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sun 01 Jan 2017, 9:21 pm

It is good to hear that the missing Facebook member Julia was found to be okay.

Unfortunately there will always be someone who spoils things for others. I used to be a member of a support group for mental health sufferers and their families.

A man calling himself Jim Morrison (a Doors fan I presume) posted a message to say goodbye to everyone as he was going to commit suicide.

His details were passed to the police who managed to trace him and he was as right as rain, denying that he'd said any such thing. It also transpired that he'd phoned another member and said that unless she let him come to her house, he'd kill himself.

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Sun 01 Jan 2017, 9:40 pm

We all know that one person to whom FB is a godsend. They can post all about their illnesses and how bravely they suffer them. I've got one who constantly rants about all and sundry and another who brags about how much money she has. She will say things like, "Sitting in the BA lounge awaiting our business class flights to Mauritius. This will be our 7th visit this year. I hope we get the same suite as last year."

Back to top Go down

Facebook news - Page 11 Empty Re:A Rant about Facebook.

Post  costello Sun 01 Jan 2017, 9:50 pm

Hi Freedom yes it is a relief that Julia Mills is okay. She seems a lovely woman, and if I am honest I didn't really think any harm had come her way.She has always been so nice to me, wishing me a happy birthday, and inviting me to play games online with her(sadly to say I didn't have the time). Today I did get a bit anxious when I heard she was diabetic, however thanks to Facebook today I might just change my way of thinking from now on.
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Tue 03 Jan 2017, 9:11 am

I have encountered some like that Chirpy as regards their health but nobody yet with loadsamoney!

Reminders of a song that my son liked.

Minor irritations are those who feel the need to say good morning and good night - it's like something out of the Waltons; good night John Boy, good night whoever else is online.

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 05 Jun 2017, 6:50 pm

Facebook is down at the moment.

Please could any other members see if it the same for them.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Facebook news - Page 11 Empty Re:a Rant about Facebook.

Post  costello Mon 05 Jun 2017, 7:50 pm

Freedom wrote:Facebook is down at the moment.

Please could any other members see if it the same for them.

Just checked it's fine for me Freedom.
costello
costello

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 05 Jun 2017, 10:17 pm

I can now access it but my activity log is completely blank - please could you Costello (or anyone else) check to see if yours is too.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next