MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James Rhodes wins right to publish autobiography

2 posters

Go down

James Rhodes wins right to publish autobiography Empty James Rhodes wins right to publish autobiography

Post  chirpyinsect Wed 20 May 2015, 10:37 am

James Rhodes

Concert pianist James Rhodes wins right to publish autobiography

Supreme court justices lift injunction barring publication of book in which he tells of being sexually abused as a child

Pianist James Rhodes persuaded the supreme court to lift the injunction. Photograph: Tim P. Whitby/Getty Images

Press Association

Wednesday 20 May 201510.23 BSTLast modified on Wednesday 20 May 201510.32 BST

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via EmailShare on LinkedInShare on Google+

A concert pianist has won a supreme court fight for the right to publish an autobiographical book in which he tells of being sexual abused as a child.

James Rhodes persuaded supreme court justices to lift an injunction barring publication.

In October, the court of appeal granted the injunction temporarily blocking publication of parts of the book after Rhodes’s ex-wife raised fears that it would come to the attention of their 11-year-old son.

Rhodes then asked the supreme court for a ruling.

Five supreme court justices ruled in his favour on Wednesday after analysing the case at a hearing in London in January.

Justices had ruled that Rhodes could not be identified in media reports or on social media channels.

That restriction was lifted in the light of the ruling.

Rhodes was accompanied at the supreme court by his friend the actor Benedict Cumberbatch.

Rhodes said: “This is a victory for freedom of speech. More importantly it is a powerful message to survivors of sexual abuse.

“There is already too much stigma and shame surrounding mental health and sexual abuse, and, although I am horrified that it has taken 14 months of overwhelming stress and expense, I am relieved that our justice system has finally seen sense and not only allowed me to tell my story but affirmed in the strongest possible way that speaking up about one’s own life is a basic human right.

“I hope the book will help fellow survivors of rape find the courage to speak up. And I hope it will inspire those in pain to find solace in music and togetherness.

Back to top Go down

James Rhodes wins right to publish autobiography Empty Re: James Rhodes wins right to publish autobiography

Post  Freedom Wed 20 May 2015, 10:53 am

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/20/concert-pianist-james-rhodes-wins-right-to-publish-autobiography

This report doesn't mention anything about his ex-wife's concerns (understandable I feel) about their son.

Does he name the person whom he claims abused him? I can't imagine otherwise why anyone would have wanted to ban the book.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

James Rhodes wins right to publish autobiography Empty Re: James Rhodes wins right to publish autobiography

Post  chirpyinsect Wed 20 May 2015, 11:35 am

This quote stood out for me.

Delivering Wednesday’s judgment, Lord Toulson said: “Freedom to report the truth is a basic right to which the court gives a high level of protection, and the author’s right to his story includes the right to tell it as he wishes.”

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Wed 20 May 2015, 11:51 am

I have to admit that I have never heard of Mr Rhodes before - I'm not very cultured, you see!

Reading some old reports on him, I see that it has never been a secret about the abuse he suffered and the person concerned has been brought to justice.

So I'm none the wiser about the problems with getting the book published.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Wed 20 May 2015, 12:42 pm

I only heard of him today on the news. His name was not allowed to be published until the appeal concluded. His ex-wife had tried to have the book banned because of fears about his son. However, he explained very eloquently that he would sit his son down and tell him, with love, that you can survive adversity and come out the other end.
My point in posting about him is that he believes in freedom of speech and the right of abuse victims to speak out. He admits he had the money and connections to pursue this through the courts but asks about those who do not have his means. I admire his courage and empathy for other victims. I think his son is a lucky boy to have him for a father.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Wed 20 May 2015, 1:29 pm

I certainly agree about the freedom of speech issue. What McCann sceptic wouldn't?

I am just querying that, as Mr Rhodes has been talking about his childhood abuse for some time, it's likely that his son already knows about it.

Here's an interview from 2013 in which the subject is mentioned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/classicalmusic/10177651/James-Rhodes-Out-of-the-concert-hall-and-back-into-the-asylum.html
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  chirpyinsect Wed 20 May 2015, 1:41 pm

Perhaps what concerned the mother was possible harm to the boy when reading about the suicide attempt and incarceration in a locked ward environment rather than the abuse which may have been the cause of his mental state. I can see both sides.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sun 13 Dec 2015, 10:22 pm

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down