MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mystery of Ben Needham

+33
chilli
Andrew
TheTruthWillOut
unreorganised
dandaar
joyce1938
Heisenburg
froggy
chrissie
Inca
poster
Popcorn
Satsuma
chirpyinsect
seahorse
Hellsbells
Magnum
crabbit
Bampots
Mimi
Ixta
Châtelaine
Dee Coy
Anne
costello
dogs don't lie
Lioned
bluebell
Thetruth
poppyfox
Tristar
candyfloss
Freedom
37 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

The Mystery of Ben Needham  - Page 38 Empty Re: The Mystery of Ben Needham

Post  Hope Fri 14 Oct 2016, 5:34 pm

I had it before with my last laptop, you are right, I will try and get one set up. I suppose I was trying to feel 'normal' , it's so hard to feel life whizzing past and that I have lost decades at this stage due to illness. I have found this year particularly tough mentally as I am now officially middle aged!
Sorry I sound like a right moaning Minnie, anyhow thank you for your concern and I will look into it xxx
Hope
Hope

Back to top Go down

Post  joyce1938 Fri 14 Oct 2016, 11:08 pm

Hi Hope ,always good to have your posts to read,just do what you need to be able to make your life a bit easier,typing is hard for you ,as we all know really. Normal is just what ever we need to do,you are nomal to us , joyce.
joyce1938
joyce1938

Back to top Go down

Post  Hope Fri 14 Oct 2016, 11:28 pm

Thank you Joyce, that is very kind esp as I have just been told off on another topic. Night and God Bless xx
Hope
Hope

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sat 15 Oct 2016, 7:32 am

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Sat 15 Oct 2016, 9:02 am

EXCLUSIVE - 'They will never find him': Greek detectives who searched for Ben Needham in 1991 say latest £1m search is FLAWED because they have already searched dig site TWICE

21-month-old Ben Needham disappeared from the Greek island of Kos
South Yorkshire Police re-opened its investigation following a tip-off
The 'witness' claimed he knew that he had been crushed by a digger
However, Greek authorities are claiming the ongoing search is 'futile'

It was going to be the closure she had longed for.

Although heartbroken mother Kerry Needham had been warned to prepare for the worst, at least now she would finally learn the fate of her missing infant son Ben, 25 long years after he vanished.

A quarter of a century of false hopes, hoaxes, sightings that raised hopes and cruelly dashed them: He'd been taken by gypsies, sold to child traffickers, he was seen at Kos airport buying sweets with an older child.

Each misleading claim led Kerry on the same wild goose chase and the same sickeningly familiar sinking feeling when it turned out to be false.

Then, a precious lead emerged during 100 phone calls received by British investigators when Ben’s case was featured on a Greek missing persons television show earlier this year.

The tip-off was from a 'credible' witness said Ben had been killed in a terrible accident by a Greek digger driver, now deceased, who was doing building work next door to the property where Ben went missing in 1991.

Although they believed he was dead, at least now for Kerry, and Ben’s anxious grandparents Christine and Eddie, there would be closure.

A quarter of a century of hoaxes, false sightings that raised hopes and cruelly dashed them again; He'd been taken by gypsies, sold to child traffickers, he was spotted at Kos airport buying sweets with an older child, he was in Turkey, Germany, Athens.

But as they waited with bated breath, hardly daring to hope that an answer to the toddler’s disappearance might finally be found, there was a small group of people who knew the family would be left bitterly disappointed.

For the Greek detectives working on the original case 25 years ago had scoured every inch of the search area being pored over by South Yorkshire Police – twice.

They could only watch as the latest search unfolded, already knowing the answer to the hunt which had set such high hopes.

‘The British police will never find anything [from their current investigations],’ one of the original officers who took part in the 1991 search told MailOnline.

The retired policeman said they searched the whole area around the remote farmhouse at the time of the boy’s disappearance.

‘We thoroughly investigated all the areas that the British investigators are searching now at the time [1991] and nothing was found,’ he said.

‘We examined all scenarios of the disappearance of the young English boy and a full report of our findings was compiled and sent to police HQ consistent with an allegation of the abduction of a minor.

The investigation and the whole saga continues because the British have provided the money.

‘But the whole operation is futile.’

As lead investigator DI Jon Cousins from South Yorkshire agreed on Friday to the repair of the farmhouse ripped apart in the search for Ben, it appears - tragically - the Greek officer may be right.

In June this year a witness came forward claiming to know precisely what had happened on the afternoon of 24 July at a remote farmhouse in the hills over-looking the Aegean Sea where 21-month-old Ben had been playing.

The witness said that Ben was crushed under the wheels of a large JCB digger that was clearing land around the farmhouse which his grandfather Eddie had been renovating.

The driver – Konstantinos ‘Dinos’ Barkas – had not noticed the little blonde boy go under the wheels of his powerful machine through the clouds of dust that swirled around, he claimed.

And when he saw what he had done he could not bring himself to admit his part the boy’s death so buried him amid the hundreds of tonnes of earth that he was excavating.

Barkas was interviewed by police in the hours after Ben was reported missing in July 1991 and released.

But he was later seen in a distressed state ‘sweating and shaking’ when he returned from the police station, the witness claimed.

The death of Barkas from cancer the year before the latest appeal to Greeks had emboldened the whistle-blower to come forward, it is believed.

Alerted to the new information British detectives from South Yorkshire Police flew to Kos and spoke to the witness themselves.

Bank-rolled with a £1 million war chest from the Home Office a team of forensic investigators arrived on Kos in June this year and identified two areas where they believed Ben’s body could have been buried.

DI Cousins had already been on the case for over year – rifling through all the documents, reading all the witness statements and corroborating all the evidence. He even flew to Australia to verify one account.

Proudly wearing their jet black South Yorkshire Police uniforms DI Cousins and his team strung up ‘do not enter’ police tape around the Kos farmhouse where Ben was last seen.

Among the team is highly qualified anthropologist Gaille Mackinnon who has worked on the biggest forensic recoveries this century – including New York 9/11, London 7/7, and war crimes in the former Yugoslavia, Iraq and Sierra Leone.

And almost three weeks ago they began digging in the dry, dusty soil, looking for traces of Ben’s tiny bones.

The police warned his mother Kerry to expect the worst.

As bone fragments were unearthed by an olive grove close to the farmhouse Ms Needham broke down in tears on television as she explained how finding Ben’s body would finally give the family closure.

She told Good Morning Britain: ‘You know 25 years of living and not knowing where your child is, is torment.

‘I don't like to say it but then at least we would know and it would be closure - and he can be laid to rest and we can remember him as he was.'

The bones were not Ben’s – but the remains of ancient Greeks who had lived on the island some 3,000 years ago.

Now almost three weeks into the search South Yorkshire Police admit they have not found a single item directly linked to Ben Needham and no other evidence that the boy died under the wheels of a digger and that his body was buried nearby.

However as the British police operation reaches an unsuccessful conclusion the retired Greek officers display a grim satisfaction that DI Cousins and his team have failed.

The former officers also dismiss the idea that digger driver ‘Dinos’ had any part in Ben’s disappearance.

One retired officer said: ‘The digger driver [Dino Barkas] was very helpful from the beginning.

‘We interviewed him and he did not show any strange behaviour.

‘I remember searching the land around the farm house twice. There was a lot of soil to examine.

‘Barkas helped us excavate the area with his digger. By the end of his operation we were all white from the dust.’

The officer told MailOnline how he and his colleagues worked night and day for a week as part of a huge search operation in the hope of finding Ben.

He said: ‘The mobilisation was huge. From the morning of Ben’s disappearance all of the policemen and firemen on the island took part,

‘I remember the firemen climbing down the wells in the area with ladders.

‘They searched all the streams, ditches, everywhere the kid might have fallen into.

‘We searched a 1km wide radius around the mountain side and down to the sea.

‘We eliminated every possibility that Ben had wandered off by himself or had fallen somewhere.’

Former Kos Chief of Police Christos Bafounis declined to comment on the British police investigation when contacted by MailOnline.

But other officers who took part in the 1991 investigation have also dismissed the involvement of digger driver Barkas into Ben’s disappearance.

For his part DI Cousins refuses to criticise the Greek police – the officers who were in charge back in 1991 and the officers who are helping his team now.

However he maintains his team is searching in the right places to find answers about what happened to the 21-month-old boy.

DI Cousins told MailOnline: ‘I have reviewed, in great detail, every piece of evidence made available to me by the current Greek authorities, who are very supportive of the work we are doing in assisting their investigation.

‘This information was gathered as part of the initial investigation conducted by the Greek authorities at the time. In addition, I have had the opportunity to personally view hundreds of pieces of information, sourced by my team, from Greece and the rest of the world.

'As a result of the work that has been conducted over the last 18 months and direct information received after our successful appeal in May, I have no doubt that this phase of the operation is absolutely essential in order to get answers for Ben's family.’

Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  dogs don't lie Sat 15 Oct 2016, 11:33 am

The post above says Dino knew what happened and buried him? Why would he do that? If it was an accident, I don't think he'd have been blamed, more likely the grandmother I'd think. The farmhouse work is done, so does that mean Dino would have to (sorry, horrible) scoop him up and drive to his rubble site?
DCI Cousins doesn't seem as confident now, then again, if they thought there's something that could be connected I don't think he'd say it.
Just IMO

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTruthWillOut Sat 15 Oct 2016, 1:05 pm

So the Mail have started the questioning of these digs. Looking at the map of movements that day isn't it all kinds of wrong for what has been said about that day over the years?

The Mystery of Ben Needham  - Page 38 3963F4F600000578-3838650-image-a-2_1476469316688

TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sat 15 Oct 2016, 1:56 pm

Police end work on Ben Needham excavation site in Kos
Officers investigating the toddler's disappearance are also likely to conclude work at a second location in the coming days.

http://news.sky.com/story/police-end-work-on-ben-needham-excavation-site-in-kos-10617736

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Sat 15 Oct 2016, 2:17 pm

A prediction on how this might play out.

In a week or two, police will claim that they have found bone fragments that have tested positive to Ben's DNA, there by putting to rest any idea that he is alive.
They will further claim that their  primary suspect is dead and they can take the investigation no further.

The public will quickly forget all about the case and Yorkshire police can get back to fighting crime in Yorkshire.

If the public buy into this, expect to see something similar rolled out in the McCann case.
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Sat 15 Oct 2016, 2:36 pm

When the Yorkshire Police told Kerry "To prepare for the worst" - could "The Worst" be no answers from this investigation?

'We have done all we can, found nothing, so no answers to what happened or where Ben is'.

Impossible to be in Kerry's position, but what is worse? Knowing where his remains are or living forever with
the hope he will eventually be found? I would imagine the second. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTruthWillOut Sat 15 Oct 2016, 3:10 pm

froggy wrote:A prediction on how this might play out.

In a week or two, police will claim that they have found bone fragments that have tested positive to Ben's DNA, there by putting to rest any idea that he is alive.
They will further claim that their  primary suspect is dead and they can take the investigation no further.

The public will quickly forget all about the case and Yorkshire police can get back to fighting crime in Yorkshire.

If the public buy into this, expect to see something similar rolled out in the McCann case.

Can't see how they could do that when they are on record as saying they haven't found anything. Those 70 pieces are low interest and I think they have categorically stated no bones fragments or hair have been found.

I actually fear these digs could be more about looking into and testing what has been stated by those present at the farmhouse that day. I also question this witness that seems to have first hand knowledge rather than recounting a tale told to him by Dino. That would mean it could only be one of three people if the info out there is true that Dino was working with three people that day. That isn't very anonymous and most everyone on Kos would likely know who it is.

What I would really like to see is the original statements of Dino and co-workers. When did they say they left their building site and what did they do and where did they go the rest of that day? Do their alibis check out? Things like that.

If you are right though and they come up with a implausible and convenient conclusion then I would have to accept that similar could happen in the McCann case.
TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Sat 15 Oct 2016, 3:33 pm

They may 'find' these fragments next week. They don't even need to find anything, just say that they have. Who could dispute it?

Regarding alibis of workers, I'm sure they will have been thoroughly investigated by the Greek authorities at the time. There is no reason to think that their investigative abilities are in any way inferior to British ones.
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sat 15 Oct 2016, 5:58 pm

The thoughts of a Norwegian "psychic" on the case.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvXV27YuDjg

We must have mentioned him before somewhere. These are his thoughts on the McCann case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eETAdGDo3Sc

If he has a day job, I advise him not to give it up.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  poster Sat 15 Oct 2016, 7:54 pm

seahorse wrote:
Hope wrote:This may be daft but what about his nappy? Chris says he wet himself, she rinsed them and put them on the tree to dry. In a doc Eddie thought it was water from the hose but she corrects him, they say how he was just in sandals and his top. No mention of a nappy, disposable ones were very expensive in places like Greece 25 yrs ago. Did they use terry cloth ones or was he being toilet trained, very early but not impossible.

And in Kerry's book it says:

"Ben had discovered a water barrel and after he'd skimmed his cars along the surface he'd started scooping bowlfuls out to mix potions with dirt and leaves. When he tired of that, the next scoop was tipped straight over his own head.
I suppose it was pure instinct to try to cool down in that savage heat. Even so, the look of shock on Ben's face as the water soaked him made it look like he'd jumped into a shower of ice.
Stephen saw it happen and burst out laughing. Everyone else joined in when they saw the drowned rat dripping in front of them. That was enough for Ben. That boy lived for laughter. He thrived on it. So, uncomfortable as he was, what did he do?
Scooped another bowl of water onto his head.
The laughter was even louder this time, more so when he yelled, 'I'm so funny!' Of course, he carried on dousing himself until Mum put a stop to it and dried him off. She hung Ben's shorts from a tree to dry and told him not to get anything else ruined because there were no spares. Ben didn't care about wearing only a T-shirt and little buckled sandals any more that he did about being wet. He just loved being a showman."

Which one was it:
Wet himself?
Water hose?
Water barrel?

And what about his wet T-shirt?

Why would the water in the water barrel have been freezing? It was very hot - Kerry describes the heat as 'savage' which I think is the norm for Greece in the height of the summer. The heat is, indeed, 'savage'. In that heat a pair of shorts would dry incredibly quickly and getting clothes wet is hardly 'ruining' them.

There are a few parallels with the McCann story here....the pajama top that Kate washed and hung out.....

I wonder why Kerry states: "Stephen saw it happen and burst out laughing."

I don't know - kind of weird...I wonder what the relationship was like between Stephen and Ben?
poster
poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTruthWillOut Sat 15 Oct 2016, 8:32 pm

Wasn't it said Ben only had shorts on and no nappy? If that was case then it makes it all the more unlikely he would take Ben on the bike even though that itself is hard for me believe.

I can't see a 17 year old willingly taking Ben without anything on below the waist.

I have a couple of questions if someone here knows or has links. What has the lady at the farmhouse said she saw that day and a weird and probably completely irrelevant one...what did they have for lunch that day and how was it cooked? The farmhouse was derelict with no roof and doubt there was gas or electric. If they had a salad then this question is moot..
TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sat 15 Oct 2016, 8:33 pm

Just catching up on all this. I couldn't see an end of day update on the usual facebook thingy by Duncan. Was there one? Also had a quick look at the journo tweets to see if anything backs up the Sky report from earlier. But nothing.

There is this one though:

Tom Ingall ‏@TomIngall  4h4 hours ago
Tom Ingall Retweeted Wendy Michallat
There is a planned media briefing on Monday on Kos - and then at some point soon(ish) in the UK. I think we'll learn more on that point then

All very bizarre at the moment. scratch
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  seahorse Sat 15 Oct 2016, 10:46 pm

TheTruthWillOut wrote:Wasn't it said Ben only had shorts on and no nappy? If that was case then it makes it all the more unlikely he would take Ben on the bike even though that itself is hard for me believe.

I can't see a 17 year old willingly taking Ben without anything on below the waist.

I have a couple of questions if someone here knows or has links. What has the lady at the farmhouse said she saw that day and a weird and probably completely irrelevant one...what did they have for lunch that day and how was it cooked? The farmhouse was derelict with no roof and doubt there was gas or electric. If they had a salad then this question is moot..  

In the book about the lunch: mum had brought a few things to eat. Michaelis saw it as a special occasion and sent Stephen to Xanthippe's shop where he got meats, cheeses and water. It is also mentioned that Ben had his lunch on the go: cucumber, tomato, olives and bread.
A typical Greek lunch.

The lady across the road said she'd been in all day. She saw Stephen leave on his motorbike without Ben and said Ben was playing and pointed at the back of the farmhouse. Exactly where they'd last heard him.
seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTruthWillOut Sat 15 Oct 2016, 11:24 pm

Thanks for that seahorse (will have to get a copy of the book)

It does highlight another thing I didn't know....Stephen went out twice on the bike that afternoon and both times after Christine, Ben and Danny had arrived at the farmhouse. It could be the lady across the street was talking about Stephen's shop run when she said she saw Ben playing at the farmhouse after Stephen left. Or is it clear in the book she was talking about him leaving the second time?
TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sat 15 Oct 2016, 11:40 pm

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTruthWillOut Sun 16 Oct 2016, 12:01 am

Let me just say I'm shaking my head at that. Probably best not to say any more.
TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun 16 Oct 2016, 12:07 am

TheTruthWillOut wrote:

Let me just say I'm shaking my head at that. Probably best not to say any more.

I know what you mean. It's ridiculous really.

Prepare for the worst and all that... We have evidence to say your son is dead. But can't find anything so off home.

Heroes.... really?

What the hell is going on. scratch
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun 16 Oct 2016, 1:03 am

I'm sorry - but it makes you wonder with all this hero talk.....

Hero for not discovering or hero for finding out.

What suits...?

.. Just saying.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun 16 Oct 2016, 1:14 am

The McCanns have obviously been keeping watching a keen eye on all this.

I wonder what there thoughts / beliefs are on it all.

I suppose it suits them down to a tee if nothing is discovered. And I bet they got their fingers crossed that the 'abduction' line is still plugged.

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  seahorse Sun 16 Oct 2016, 7:57 am

TheTruthWillOut wrote:

Thanks for that seahorse (will have to get a copy of the book)

It does highlight another thing I didn't know....Stephen went out twice on the bike that afternoon and both times after Christine, Ben and Danny had arrived at the farmhouse. It could be the lady across the street was talking about Stephen's shop run when she said she saw Ben playing at the farmhouse after Stephen left. Or is it clear in the book she was talking about him leaving the second time?

Wow TTWO. That's a very good point indeed. It's not made clear which trip of Stephen she is referring to at all. No time is mentioned. I hope it's in the Greek police files.
seahorse
seahorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next