MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Election Discussion - before and after the event

+22
Mimi
chirpyinsect
dannii
Rob Royston
Bampots
candyfloss
Winslow Boy
coppernob
What's_up_doc?
wjk
Andrew
Mo
nannygroves
joyce1938
froggy
Antonia
Dee Coy
AndyB
bluebell
espeland
Helenmeg
unreorganised
26 posters

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

Who will win the General Election ?-

General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 Vote_lcap37%General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 7 ]
General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 Vote_lcap37%General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 7 ]
General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 Vote_lcap5%General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 Vote_lcap21%General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 19

General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 Empty Re: General Election Discussion - before and after the event

Post  candyfloss Fri 19 May 2017, 1:57 pm

She has a majority of 29,000, can that be overturned?  Big ask.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maidenhead_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 Empty Re: General Election Discussion - before and after the event

Post  Mimi Fri 19 May 2017, 2:00 pm

Dee Coy wrote:I enjoyed this. Humorously lays bare what's staring us all in the face if only our media would let us see:

Hi Dee - So glad someone else appreciates Jimmy Dore flower

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  espeland Fri 19 May 2017, 2:08 pm

candyfloss wrote:She has a majority of 29,000, can that be overturned?  Big ask.

So is £40K. If you were living there, would you find that cost to you desirable?
espeland
espeland

Back to top Go down

Post  Dee Coy Fri 19 May 2017, 8:41 pm

Don't know who this Lowkey bloke is but here's another goodie Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sat 20 May 2017, 9:06 am

Looked him up cos he said some pertinent things. He`s a rapper (but obviously an intelligent one who is able to speak in English and only has a faint Ali G tinge!). Absolutely hate rap myself, but he`s produced lots of rapping videos on current humanitarian affairs. A controversial one was banned (by whom I don`t know) called Obamanation.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Sat 20 May 2017, 10:17 am

Only 19 days to go,thank god.
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised Sat 20 May 2017, 11:11 am

Heisenburg wrote:Only 19 days to go,thank god.

I think the best piece of political commentary I ever heard was the person who described the two main political parties as "two cheeks of the same arse".

See also; No matter who you vote for, you always get the government.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  What's_up_doc? Sat 20 May 2017, 11:43 am

unreorganised wrote:

I think the best piece of political commentary I ever heard was the person who described the two main political parties as "two cheeks of the same arse".

Just to extend your metaphor ( which I like very much) some cheeks are fatter and grubbier than others aren't they?

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Sat 20 May 2017, 1:49 pm

unreorganised wrote:

Mark Twain:"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”

Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Sat 20 May 2017, 1:53 pm

I "love" Mark Twain.
And the Marx brothers.
Especially Groucho.
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sat 20 May 2017, 2:55 pm

Châtelaine wrote:I "love" Mark Twain.
And the Marx brothers.
Especially Groucho.

You are Verdi and I claim my five pounds Laughing

"“ The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made" - Groucho Marx
Verdi
Researcher/Moderator
"

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Sat 20 May 2017, 4:41 pm

:-D

" I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER."
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Heisenburg Sat 20 May 2017, 6:11 pm

Châtelaine wrote::-D

" I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER."

Groucho I believe.
Heisenburg
Heisenburg

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sat 20 May 2017, 10:14 pm

General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 DATJpGVXUAA9vZC

cheersbounce

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sat 20 May 2017, 10:16 pm

Tim Shipman‏ @ShippersUnbound · 33m33 minutes ago
 YouGov/Sunday Times
Tory lead into single figures, the lowest since last year. May's lead has halved in a week

General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 DATC31GXoAA_55I

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sat 20 May 2017, 10:18 pm

The Dementia tax backlash...

General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 DATDV-0XsAA18EF

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sat 20 May 2017, 10:51 pm

Perhaps I`ve got a wonky perspective on this dementia tax thingey. I can`t see why people are complaining when TM has increased the allowable residue to £100,000, when you used to have to use nearly ALL your money/assets, but later it increased to £23,000.

When my Mum was in a home in the 80s/90s, she had to use all her assets except £3,000. Ironically as soon as her assets had diminished down to £3,000., the government increased the allowance to £6,000. It is now £23,000 or thereabouts and TM is planning to increase it to £100,000, which IMO is darned generous.

Am I looking at this wrongly?

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sat 20 May 2017, 10:59 pm

Mimi wrote:Perhaps I`ve got a wonky perspective on this dementia tax thingey.  I can`t see why people are complaining when TM has increased the allowable residue to £100,000, when you used to have to use nearly ALL your money/assets, but later it increased to £23,000.  

When my Mum was in a home in the 80s/90s, she had to use all her assets except £3,000. Ironically as soon as her assets had diminished down to £3,000., the government increased the allowance to £6,000.  It is now £23,000 or thereabouts and TM is planning to increase it to £100,000, which IMO is darned generous.

That was  just savings I believe Mimi, now it is all your assets which includes your house.... so basically anyone who owns a home will have to now pay.  I think before your house was yours and you didn't have to touch those assests.  I may be wrong about it though.

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  coppernob Sat 20 May 2017, 11:04 pm

That's right, Candyfloss, it used to be just savings for home care although owning your own home has always been included in residential care assessments.
coppernob
coppernob

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sat 20 May 2017, 11:53 pm

candyfloss wrote:
Mimi wrote:Perhaps I`ve got a wonky perspective on this dementia tax thingey.  I can`t see why people are complaining when TM has increased the allowable residue to £100,000, when you used to have to use nearly ALL your money/assets, but later it increased to £23,000.  

When my Mum was in a home in the 80s/90s, she had to use all her assets except £3,000. Ironically as soon as her assets had diminished down to £3,000., the government increased the allowance to £6,000.  It is now £23,000 or thereabouts and TM is planning to increase it to £100,000, which IMO is darned generous.

That was  just savings I believe Mimi, now it is all your assets which includes your house.... so basically anyone who owns a home will have to now pay.  I think before your house was yours and you didn't have to touch those assests.  I may be wrong about it though.

I thought you had to sell your house, my Mum did. She sold her flat, got £15,000 (or something like that) and then used it all right down to £3,000 before she could go on benefits and they would pay.

So being able to keep £100,000 is fantastic IMO. It means there will be all that money to bequeath. If you don`t want to sell your house you can defer making any payments for your care by your local council lending it to you until you die, then they can re-coup it from the residue of your estate (plus interest of course !). But whether your beneficiaries will still be entitled to £100,000 of it, I really don`t know.

I realise that the more your house is worth, the longer you can live without having to claim benefits, because there will be a ton of money in the pot. I suppose it`s going to be a disappointment to the beneficiaries of wealthy house owners because they will dip out. I`ve always said, it`s no point having money/assets because it means your kids will want you to pop-off early. pale Well, some kids anyway !

I may have this totally wrong - I don`t know where to find the facts unless AgeUK are up to date :

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/the-means-test-and-your-property/

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  coppernob Sun 21 May 2017, 12:06 am

If an elderly relative went into a care home it's always been the case you've had to sell your home but owning a home and having capitol below the theshold before meant a care package could be put in place
coppernob
coppernob

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sun 21 May 2017, 12:24 am

coppernob wrote:If an elderly relative went into a care home it's always been the case you've had to sell your home but owning a home and having capitol below the theshold before meant a care package could be put in place

Hi coppernob,

So say I had a house valued about £300,000 (I haven`t btw) and savings of about £10,000 (I haven`t), that means my total assets would be valued at £310,000. At the moment I would have to sell my house and pay care home fees until I only had £27,000 left, then the government or local council would pay - is that right?

Ah, just realised I wouldn`t be able to get any benefits until I had less than £10,000. left.

Oh, now I`m really confused confused

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Sun 21 May 2017, 1:45 pm

It won't be free no matter who is in power, we are taxed to death until we drop, and then we are taxed some more!!

Hark at the signs going up around London Smile

Susie Stewart‏ @susiepip · 31m31 minutes ago

People are putting up 'Strong and stable my arse' signs up across London

General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 5 DVlhSkot?format=jpg&name=600x314

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sun 21 May 2017, 1:59 pm

My son was telling me about that yesterday. He was until then thinking of voting Tory!
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sun 21 May 2017, 2:13 pm

I must say Labour are going up in my estimation by the day.  I just wish they weren`t so liberal in their attitude - they seem to accept all creeds and wacky sexual orientations and behaviours and give out money to all and sundry - this leads to the disintegration of a country.

Oh well as many people point out - it matters not who you vote for, they are all puppets of Israel.

ETA I think Jeremy Corbyn would stand up against Israel`s influence but they always win in the end because they dominate everything.

Last edited by Mimi on Sun 21 May 2017, 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next