MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Election Discussion - before and after the event

+22
Mimi
chirpyinsect
dannii
Rob Royston
Bampots
candyfloss
Winslow Boy
coppernob
What's_up_doc?
wjk
Andrew
Mo
nannygroves
joyce1938
froggy
Antonia
Dee Coy
AndyB
bluebell
espeland
Helenmeg
unreorganised
26 posters

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

Who will win the General Election ?-

General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 4 Vote_lcap37%General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 4 Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 7 ]
General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 4 Vote_lcap37%General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 4 Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 7 ]
General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 4 Vote_lcap5%General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 4 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 4 Vote_lcap21%General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 4 Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 19

General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 4 Empty Re: General Election Discussion - before and after the event

Post  candyfloss Thu 18 May 2017, 7:29 pm

Just read this from Ian Duncan-Smith, you gotta laugh, can anyone find a house below £100,000 these days, you would be hard pushed to. So in affect anyone owing their home.

He defends his party's proposals on social care, stressing: "You don't have to contribute if your assets are below £100,000 - which means a wider base and beginning to spread the load.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

General Election Discussion - before and after the event - Page 4 Empty Re: General Election Discussion - before and after the event

Post  Mimi Thu 18 May 2017, 7:29 pm

I don`t see the point of these TV spats - it`s degrading to descend into arguments. They won`t get anywhere - neither is going to concede and say `well perhaps you`re right on that` - it won`t be a proper civilised discussion.

We know what their views are. They have each presented their manifestos.

It reminds me of cock fighting and the crowds baying for one of them to be slaughtered.

I certainly won`t be watching it.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Thu 18 May 2017, 7:30 pm

I may be mistaken or ill-informed, but which other country serves free lunches to school children?
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Thu 18 May 2017, 7:31 pm

candyfloss wrote:
Mimi wrote:
candyfloss wrote:

How can you segregate children and say 'sorry you can't go and eat your parents are too well off' - that is totally unacceptable, children should not be put through that.  It's all or nothing.

It doesn`t have to happen like that Candy.  They all eat together and no one knows who is using a voucher and who is not - unless of course the vouchered child tells everyone.  Only the office staff would know.

As if children wouldn't know and talk in the playground.  It makes for a 2 class society, children should not be included in all this politics, they deserve free meals at school all of them.  

Yes, that`s the best way. Don`t like the word `deserve` though.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Thu 18 May 2017, 7:33 pm

Châtelaine wrote:I may be mistaken or ill-informed, but which other country serves free lunches to school children?

Not sure Chatelaine.

I think I remember taking my dinner money to school on a Monday. And with all my kids, they all had to take their dinner money for the week on a Monday.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Thu 18 May 2017, 7:35 pm

Mimi wrote:I don`t see the point of these TV spats - it`s degrading to descend into arguments. They won`t get anywhere - neither is going to concede and say `well perhaps you`re right on that` - it won`t be a proper civilised discussion.

We know what their views are.  They have each presented their manifestos.

It reminds me of cock fighting and the crowds baying for one of them to be slaughtered.

Yes, the present their manifesto, but when questioned some of the real truth comes out. Some of the debates in the past have been excellent, to the point of making me change my mind on many things. It gives you the idea of the real person not just speeches and words on manifestos and pre prepared interviews. I am all for live debating, I have never seen it descend in 'cock fighting' It's good to see the audiences ask questions and them then answering ducking and diving. I certainly will be watching, especially if May backs down and participates.

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Thu 18 May 2017, 7:35 pm

Mimi wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:I may be mistaken or ill-informed, but which other country serves free lunches to school children?

Not sure Chatelaine.

I think I remember taking my dinner money to school on a Monday.  And with all my kids, they all had to take their dinner money for the week on a Monday.
+++
Oh right: you paid for it, yes?
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Châtelaine Thu 18 May 2017, 7:42 pm

I've said [sorry ...] at least 25 years ago, that the best thing that could happen, would be if the UK would leave the EU and be a reading-mark between Continental Europe and the USA.
At the same time, so much later, I'm in limbo ...
Châtelaine
Châtelaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Thu 18 May 2017, 7:44 pm

candyfloss wrote:
Mimi wrote:I don`t see the point of these TV spats - it`s degrading to descend into arguments. They won`t get anywhere - neither is going to concede and say `well perhaps you`re right on that` - it won`t be a proper civilised discussion.

We know what their views are.  They have each presented their manifestos.

Yes, the present their manifesto, but when questioned some of the real truth comes out.  Some of the debates in the past have been excellent, to the point of making me change my mind on many things.  It gives you the idea of the real person not just speeches and words on manifestos and pre prepared interviews.  I am all for live debating, I have never seen it descend in 'cock fighting'  It's good to see the audiences ask questions and them then answering ducking and diving. I certainly will be watching, especially if May backs down and participates.

Perhaps I`m over stating it to say `cock fighting` but I hate it when they talk over each other. I wouldn`t mind so much if they were allowed to speak each in turn without interruption.

I`m not sticking up for Theresa May - in fact I believe Jeremy is a far more genuine person and morally good. Even good enough to not see the consequences of being overly humanitarian to immigrants who take advantage - yes he`s a lovely person. I do realise that Theresa May never answers the question. I remember watching her at some tribunal or other and she said a lot but said nothing and never actually answered their questions. Kate McCann was right when she said about TM`s fluffy words.

I just hate the cut and thrust of it all.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mo Thu 18 May 2017, 7:47 pm

My mother paid 5 shillings a week each for me and my brother and I paid for my daughters. Children who's parents couldn't afford dinner money got theirs free but I never knew who they were. By the time my daughters went to senior school they chose a packed lunch because I made dinner every night.
Mo
Mo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Thu 18 May 2017, 7:51 pm

Châtelaine wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Not sure Chatelaine.

I think I remember taking my dinner money to school on a Monday.  And with all my kids, they all had to take their dinner money for the week on a Monday.
+++
Yes.

I think in recent years free meals have been made available to infants only.

The Tories want to scrap that and give them free breakfasts instead

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/education/theresa-may-branded-lunch-snatcher-free-school-meals-dropped/

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  froggy Thu 18 May 2017, 7:58 pm

Mimi wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Not sure Chatelaine.

+++
Yes.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/education/theresa-may-branded-lunch-snatcher-free-school-meals-dropped/

Bet it wont be a 'Full English' More likely to be a bowl of chocolate-coated sugar bombs and a slice of white bread
froggy
froggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Thu 18 May 2017, 8:16 pm

No I doubt they`ll get the cooks to come in that early and do a fry up. They could do eggs on toast I suppose - that`s quite quick or something like sugar free muesli and fresh fruit. There`s so much sugar in breakfast cereals these days.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  joyce1938 Thu 18 May 2017, 11:07 pm

I just bet that a lot of food t school gets scraped into bin and not even eaten ,if payed for would not be so much wasted . I know few teachers ,and it seemed that a lot of kids don't eat much breakfast at all That is bad I think ,overnight no food and them might waite all that time for dinner at school,thats reall y bad .If I recall properly,some school tried the breakfast and it made lot difference to those childrens performence at school.Maybe someone will recall that could been quite a time ago . joyce1938
joyce1938
joyce1938

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Thu 18 May 2017, 11:29 pm

Not sure about that, Joyce.

A Full English making any difference to studied etc.. Really not sure.

I was never (or have been) a breakfast person. I'd skip it and munch on lunch. And more for tea. But never been a fan of breakfast though..

But, I've gone off on one (again) and forgot your question...
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Fri 19 May 2017, 12:09 am

Getting off topic a bit - but Andrew, yes there are studies that have proved children are more alert and interested if they eat breakfast.

Apparently protein is best for you at the start of the day.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Dee Coy Fri 19 May 2017, 12:28 am

I enjoyed this. Humorously lays bare what's staring us all in the face if only our media would let us see:

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Fri 19 May 2017, 9:56 am

Thanks Dee Coy, he tells it like it is and gets rid of the sycophancy.    Going to watch more of his shows.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 19 May 2017, 11:57 am

Will stick this one here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/theresa-may-internet-conservatives-government-a7744176.html

Theresa May is planning to introduce huge regulations on the way the internet works, allowing the government to decide what is said online.

Particular focus has been drawn to the end of the manifesto, which makes clear that the Tories want to introduce huge changes to the way the internet works.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  espeland Fri 19 May 2017, 1:32 pm

It would be funny if Theresa lost her seat in Maidenhead - house prices there can be £500K+. How many would be prepared to lose £400K?

espeland
espeland

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Fri 19 May 2017, 1:37 pm

espeland wrote:
It would be funny if Theresa lost her seat in Maidenhead - house prices there can be £500K+. How many would be prepared to lose £400K?

Yes, Smile ...... but has that ever happened before, an incumbent Prime Minster, or wannabe Prime Minister ( like Jeremy Corbyn) losing their seat?

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Fri 19 May 2017, 1:39 pm

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Fri 19 May 2017, 1:43 pm

Mimi wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Not sure Chatelaine.

+++
Yes.

Yes, was it not a Lib dem policy when they were in coalition with the Tories?
My grandson's school has a Breakfast Club. You have to pay for the cereal, toast & orange juice but it's very busy. I see them all getting dropped off in the morning by the mums rushing off to work.

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Fri 19 May 2017, 1:50 pm

Ah yes thanks, Arthur Balfour, he did though resign as PM in 1905, and then lost his Parliamentary seat a year later in 1906, so not actually a Prime Minister at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Balfour

snipped

He resigned as Prime Minister in December 1905 and the following month the Conservatives suffered a landslide defeat at the 1906 election, in which he lost his own seat.

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next