MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sonia Poulton's documentary

+48
What's_up_doc?
Guinea Pig
espeland
PMR
Neveronasunday
kylie
AndyB
PeterMac
Hellsbells
pennylane
coppernob
Burst
seahorse
Walt
Bampots
Mo
costello
Anne
Popcorn
Chop Suey on Toast
wjk
bluebell
Inca
Helenmeg
Jellybot
TheTruthWillOut
Thetruth
Antonia
Rowena
nobodythereeither
Meteor
Cristobell
Ixta
margaret
dogs don't lie
Marky
Dee Coy
Poe
Mimi
Freedom
Châtelaine
candyfloss
chirpyinsect
Baldrick
chilli
Tristar
Justformaddiemccann
Andrew
52 posters

Page 16 of 38 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27 ... 38  Next

Go down

Sonia Poulton's documentary  - Page 16 Empty Re: Sonia Poulton's documentary

Post  Cristobell Mon 05 Oct 2015, 10:39 am

Resistor wrote:
Hongkong Phooey wrote:We can argue whether the doorstepping was right or wrong however what was Sonia trying to achieve, did she really think KM would answer her questions (obviously not as she's not that stupid). So what was really gained, it will be good to see more of the footage to see the result. The cynic in me says Sonia knew what reception she would get so in essence this is all about the publicity that she (Sonia) will receive.

That's it exactly, it was done to get publicity, not answers.

And maybe a small element of "OK Kate, now you know what it bloody well feels like."

What is wrong with trying to get publicity?
Cristobell
Cristobell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 05 Oct 2015, 10:41 am

Popcorn wrote:
Hongkong Phooey wrote:@popcorn
Did you read my post at 9:36? I explained there why the doorstepping by both Martin & Sonia are exactly the same. Can't you see that? What you are commenting on is the aftermath, can you see that?

At no point have I claimed that BL and KM will be or have been subjected to the same witch hunt. The facts are Sonia conducted the exact same doorstepping routine as Martin both of them were wrong to do so.

I didn't say you did claim BL and KM were subjected to the same witch hunt. Nobody would say that as that is clearly not the case. I was explaining why I believed Sonia decided to doorstep Kate McCann.

Hongkong Phooey wrote:As for Sonia is not a member of the public, really? she has no more authority to demand answers than you or I, do you disagree?

All journalists are also members of the public when they're not working. Do you think journalists should not be allowed ask questions?

Ok let's take your journalists should be allowed to ask questions (by knocking on your door and springing a controversial question on you) a bit further. They are only doing their job, yes?

What if a stranger knocks on your door, you answer, the stranger claims to be a doctor and his profession 'allows' him to examine you (cause that's what doctors do). Do you get your kit off? ( ok, maybe a bit extreme but being a journalist doesn't mean you have the right to demand answers and some suffer from violence for their intrusive behaviours).

ETA. maybe the doctor scenario should say do you let them examine you? rather than the connotations of the original statement!

Back to top Go down

Post  Popcorn Mon 05 Oct 2015, 10:56 am

Hongkong Phooey wrote:
Popcorn wrote:
Did you read my post at 9:36? I explained there why the doorstepping by both Martin & Sonia are exactly the same. Can't you see that? What you are commenting on is the aftermath, can you see that?

At no point have I claimed that BL and KM will be or have been subjected to the same witch hunt. The facts are Sonia conducted the exact same doorstepping routine as Martin both of them were wrong to do so.

I didn't say you did claim BL and KM were subjected to the same witch hunt. Nobody would say that as that is clearly not the case. I was explaining why I believed Sonia decided to doorstep Kate McCann.

Hongkong Phooey wrote:As for Sonia is not a member of the public, really? she has no more authority to demand answers than you or I, do you disagree?

All journalists are also members of the public when they're not working. Do you think journalists should not be allowed ask questions?

Ok let's take your journalists should be allowed to ask questions (by knocking on your door and springing a controversial question on you) a bit further. They are only doing their job, yes?

What if a stranger knocks on your door, you answer, the stranger claims to be a doctor and his profession 'allows' him to examine you (cause that's what doctors do). Do you get your kit off? ( ok, maybe a bit extreme but being a journalist doesn't mean you have the right to demand answers and some suffer from violence for their intrusive behaviours).

Did you read my earlier post? Smile
Knocking on doors and asking newsworthy/public figures questions - often about tragic events - is established practice in journalism. It is not against the law. People do not have to answer the questions and they also have the right to ask the journalist to leave if (in the case of doorstepping) the journalist is on private property. If it's on a public street (as in the case of Brenda Leyland), there's nothing the subject can do except run inside their house or escape in a vehicle. They can always refuse to answer the questions, though. If a journalist (or member of the public) persists in pursuing someone, that person can take legal action if they wish.
Nobody said Kate was obliged to answer Sonia's questions, any more than she answered those of the Portuguese police. But she is not exempt from being asked questions. None of us is.
If a freelance 'doctor' arrives on your doorstep offering you a free examination you're at liberty to accept or decline his offer as you see fit. I'd probably decline, myself.
Popcorn
Popcorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:01 am

Depends on how fit the doctor is. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Cristobell Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:01 am

Popcorn wrote: Did you read my earlier post? Smile
Knocking on doors and asking newsworthy/public figures questions - often about tragic events - is established practice in journalism. It is not against the law. People do not have to answer the questions and they also have the right to ask the journalist to leave if (in the case of doorstepping) the journalist is on private property. If it's on a public street (as in the case of Brenda Leyland), there's nothing the subject can do except run inside their house or escape in a vehicle. They can always refuse to answer the questions, though. If a journalist (or member of the public) persists in pursuing someone, that person can take legal action if they wish.
Nobody said Kate was obliged to answer Sonia's questions, any more than she answered those of the Portuguese police. But she is not exempt from being asked questions. None of us is.
If a freelance 'doctor' arrives on your doorstep offering you a free examination you're at liberty to accept or decline his offer as you see fit. I'd probably decline, myself.

Well said!
Cristobell
Cristobell

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:02 am

No chance then for a certain Dr McCann, Resistor!
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:04 am

Freedom wrote:No chance then for a certain Dr McCann, Resistor!
Nope, neither of 'em! Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:07 am

Cristobell wrote:
Popcorn wrote:
Hongkong Phooey wrote:
Popcorn wrote:

Well said!

Seconded, well said popcorn!

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:07 am

lol!

Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.......... Dr Seuss
candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:07 am

Resistor wrote:
Nope, neither of 'em! Razz

Both being `notoriously unreliable`.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:15 am

@popcorn
Your now on about people's rights, I agree no laws were broken etc. etc. If you go back you will see that I have claimed it's hypocritical of Sonia to make a deal out of doorstepping BL then follow the exact same process with KM. IMO both are wrong (Sonia & Martin) however neither did anything illegal and in Sonia's case she had nothing to gain other than publicity (I'm not going into the gains for Martin / Sky).I somewhat doubt that Sonia turning up at the door (a hardly known 'journalist') had the same effect (on the victim) as Martin & the Sky team did with BL therefore the taste of their own medicine is hardly a credible thought. This doorstepping was all about Sonia

Back to top Go down

Post  Cristobell Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:26 am

Your now on about people's rights, I agree no laws were broken etc. etc. If you go back you will see that I have claimed it's hypocritical of Sonia to make a deal out of doorstepping BL then follow the exact same process with KM. IMO both are wrong (Sonia & Martin) however neither  did anything illegal and in Sonia's case she had nothing to gain other than publicity (I'm not going into the gains for Martin / Sky).I somewhat doubt that Sonia turning up at the door (a hardly known 'journalist') had the same effect (on the victim) as Martin & the Sky team did with BL therefore the taste of their own medicine is hardly a credible thought. This doorstepping was all about Sonia

Cannot agree. Anyone watching that teaser will see it is all about a missing 3 year old child and a journalist having the guts to confront a mother who has dodged questions about her daughter's disappearance for the past 8 years. Where are you getting 'its all about Sonia' from?
Cristobell
Cristobell

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:30 am

@ HKP - I think you`re getting Sonia`s extrovert and confident personality as somehow being selfish and `all about her`. Yes, they do enjoy the limelight but it doesn`t mean they don`t have honourable motivations behind it. What would the world be like if we didn`t have people with the confidence and energy to probe and expose corruption? Sonia has great empathy for people - it is not ALL about her.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:33 am

Agreed, Mimi.

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:35 am

Popcorn wrote:

Ok given your answer and legality of it all what BL was subjected to was all in good journalistic practice or at least accepted practice? I don't see it that way at all and furthermore Sonia carrying out a doorstepping excercise, whilst legal is wrong as well.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:39 am

Cristobell wrote:
Your now on about people's rights, I agree no laws were broken etc. etc. If you go back you will see that I have claimed it's hypocritical of Sonia to make a deal out of doorstepping BL then follow the exact same process with KM. IMO both are wrong (Sonia & Martin) however neither  did anything illegal and in Sonia's case she had nothing to gain other than publicity (I'm not going into the gains for Martin / Sky).I somewhat doubt that Sonia turning up at the door (a hardly known 'journalist') had the same effect (on the victim) as Martin & the Sky team did with BL therefore the taste of their own medicine is hardly a credible thought. This doorstepping was all about Sonia

Cannot agree.  Anyone watching that teaser will see it is all about a missing 3 year old child and a journalist having the guts to confront a mother who has dodged questions about her daughter's disappearance for the past 8 years.  Where are you getting 'its all about Sonia' from?
The trailer content was all about doorstepping KM and getting maximum publicity for it. Sonia knew she would gain nothing other than publicity when she did the deed. That's why this particular 'scene' was chosen for the trailer, it was not about questioning KM.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:44 am

Has she gained any publicity other than on the Internet though? It's good to have that (well, not sure about some of the personal insults) but there hasn't been a peep in the mainstream media, not even criticism about Kate being hounded.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:45 am

Mimi wrote:@ HKP - I think you`re getting Sonia`s extrovert and confident personality as somehow being selfish and `all about her`.  Yes, they do enjoy the limelight but it doesn`t mean they don`t have honourable motivations behind it.  What would the world be like if we didn`t have people with the confidence and energy to probe and expose corruption?  Sonia has great empathy for people - it is not ALL about her.
I have no problem with you thinking what you like, I don't have the same faith in Sonia that you do, it's no big deal and I really hope you're right and I'm wrong, time will tell. I think she made the wrong decision doorstepping KM (and that's all we've seen from the documentary so far) by doing so she's no better than Brunt & Sky IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cristobell Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:46 am

Mimi wrote:@ HKP - I think you`re getting Sonia`s extrovert and confident personality as somehow being selfish and `all about her`.  Yes, they do enjoy the limelight but it doesn`t mean they don`t have honourable motivations behind it.  What would the world be like if we didn`t have people with the confidence and energy to probe and expose corruption?  Sonia has great empathy for people - it is not ALL about her.

You are of course absolutely right Mimi, journalism is no place for shrinking violets. It is also no longer a place for preachy BBC World at One men in grey suits from the last century. The public demand that their presenters and documentary makers be bright, interesting and loaded with personality. Sonia has the charisma and the personality to appeal to mainstream audiences, that is probably why she is seen as such a threat.
Cristobell
Cristobell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:51 am

Freedom wrote:Has she gained any publicity other than on the Internet though? It's good to have that (well, not sure about some of the personal insults) but there hasn't been a peep in the mainstream media, not even criticism about Kate being hounded.
As I said earlier the McC's will ignore it (much the same as RD Halls stuff has been ignored) so in effect the result could possibly be no publicity no answers therefore a complete waste of time other than showing herself up as just as bad as the msm who jump around doorstepping people hoping for some juicy titbit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:54 am

Cristobell wrote:

You are of course absolutely right Mimi, journalism is no place for shrinking violets.  It is also no longer a place for preachy BBC World at One men in grey suits from the last century.  The public demand that their presenters and documentary makers be bright, interesting and loaded with personality.  Sonia has the charisma and the personality to appeal to mainstream audiences, that is probably why she is seen as such a threat.
More claptrap, a bit like the documentary was commissioned when oops It's really self financed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cristobell Mon 05 Oct 2015, 11:59 am

Hongkong Phooey wrote:
Cristobell wrote:

Cannot agree.  Anyone watching that teaser will see it is all about a missing 3 year old child and a journalist having the guts to confront a mother who has dodged questions about her daughter's disappearance for the past 8 years.  Where are you getting 'its all about Sonia' from?
The trailer content was all about doorstepping KM and getting maximum publicity for it. Sonia knew she would gain nothing other than publicity when she did the deed. That's why this particular 'scene' was chosen for the trailer, it was not about questioning KM.

Of course Sonia is going for maximum publicity!  What else do you expect her to do?  Aren't we here to get the truth about Madeleine's disappearance into the public domain?
Cristobell
Cristobell

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Mon 05 Oct 2015, 12:05 pm

Of course she is, why wouldn't she want maximum publicity that is what teaser trailers are about.  Something to make you take notice.  Sometimes the teasers are not even in the finished article it is the way film makers work.  Surely we want as many as possible to watch this docu.

Anyhow, The thing is people are scoffing and saying 'if Sonia produces something we don't already know or something knew' - that is totally missing the point, Sonia is the only journalist not too frightened to ask the questions and even if the documentary contains things we all know, there will be thousands out there that don't know much about the case.  She has a huge following and is popular, despite what some would like you to believe. 
I am willing to wait and see what she produces and if informative and full of fact then I for one won't be disappointed..

candyfloss
candyfloss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 05 Oct 2015, 12:10 pm

Cristobell wrote:
Hongkong Phooey wrote:
Cristobell wrote:

Of course Sonia is going for maximum publicity!  What else do you expect her to do?  Aren't we here to get the truth about Madeleine's disappearance into the public domain?
You've contradicted yourself, first the 'teaser' is all about a missing 3 year old girl then it's about getting maximum publicity, care to settle on one or the other!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 05 Oct 2015, 12:13 pm

candyfloss wrote:Of course she is, why wouldn't she want maximum publicity that is what teaser trailers are about.  Something to make you take notice.  Sometimes the teasers are not even in the finished article it is the way film makers work.  Surely we want as many as possible to watch this docu.

Anyhow, The thing is people are scoffing and saying 'if Sonia produces something we don't already know or something knew' - that is totally missing the point, Sonia is the only journalist not too frightened to ask the questions and even if the documentary contains things we all know, there will be thousands out there that don't know much about the case.  She has a huge following and is popular, despite what some would like you to believe. 
I am willing to wait and see what she produces and if informative and full of fact then I for one won't be disappointed..
Good for you CF however we all don't need to feel the same way and it won't be much of a forum if we all just nodded our heads. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 38 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27 ... 38  Next