MADELEINE McCANN MYSTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accidents/deaths - unusual, bizarre or just plain awful

+13
chrissie
TheTruthWillOut
dogs don't lie
chirpyinsect
froggy
Andrew
joyce1938
Walt
Mimi
Dee Coy
bluebell
PMR
candyfloss
17 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Accidents/deaths - unusual, bizarre or just plain awful - Page 3 Empty Re: Accidents/deaths - unusual, bizarre or just plain awful

Post  Freedom Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:34 am

I have read comments that it seemed to be going very fast.

That's what I thought about the state of the wreckage - no fire damage which would cause problems with identification.

Sorry if this is a bit gruesome but I always recall hearing that there was found to be one less victim of the Bradford City fire than expected as what was thought to be a body turned out to be a burnt piece of plastic.

What must the real bodies have been like.

P.S. Just found this quote about the speed.

Investigators say the tram was travelling at a "significantly higher speed than is permitted" when it came off the rails on a sharp, left-hand curve - and are examining whether the driver had fallen asleep.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Accidents/deaths - unusual, bizarre or just plain awful - Page 3 Empty Re: Accidents/deaths - unusual, bizarre or just plain awful

Post  unreorganised Fri 11 Nov 2016, 12:20 pm

Well I was going to try to be delicate. But I can't so I'll just spell it out. In the accident I was referring to, the entire physical being of a person was reduced to, effectively, a smear on the concrete. The only way the emergency services could initially ascertain the number of victims was by quickly obtained CCTV footage. Once it was apparent that nothing could be done the vehicle involved was left in situ until it could be removed under cover of darkness.

I had all this in mind during the recent Kos digs. If SYP genuinely believed that Ben had been run over by a heavy vehicle then I'm not sure what they were realistically hoping to find.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 11 Nov 2016, 2:44 pm

That sounds horrible. Stuff of nightmares. How awful.

Some latest from the beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37947408
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sat 12 Nov 2016, 5:57 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/spirit-mum-who-died-weeks-9246367

A Croydon tram crash survivor says his dead mother's spirit saved his life - after she guided him to a different seat on the doomed vehicle.
Tony Moore, 49, said mum Doreen, who died six weeks before the disaster , was "looking down on him" when he changed his mind and sat in a different place to the one he normally takes on his morning commute.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sat 12 Nov 2016, 9:08 pm

Can someone tell me if this was a train that runs on tracks or a trolley bus that runs on overhead cables or a bus that has a single track down a roadway? Exactly what is a tram?

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sat 12 Nov 2016, 9:14 pm

From the pictures I've seen, it looks like a train on tracks to me - similar to those on the Docklands Light Railway.
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sat 12 Nov 2016, 9:45 pm

Mimi - The tram that was in the accident and a similar one.

Accidents/deaths - unusual, bizarre or just plain awful - Page 3 Tram110

Accidents/deaths - unusual, bizarre or just plain awful - Page 3 Tram210
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:36 pm

Yeah I saw those but the first one is of a train on railway tracks and the second one is of a bus on tracks that goes through roads where pedestrians are - so are there indented railway tracks on roads and how come cyclists don`t get their wheels stuck in them.

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:46 pm

Same thing. The tracks are only different in built up areas (city ctr). And for obvious reasons they go a lot slower then.

But the trams goes on both type of tracks. It is slightly different to a proper rail/train track but very similar.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:17 pm

Thanks Andrew

Mimi
Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sun 13 Nov 2016, 12:28 am

I might be totally wrong. Just going off my personal experiences with the tram system. Which is not a lot at all.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Sun 13 Nov 2016, 11:58 am

How dreadful if this turns out to be the true cause of the accident. As with the lorry driver who wiped out a family, I don't know how the tram driver will be able to live with what he's done.

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Sun 13 Nov 2016, 3:49 pm

This was in the news a few days ago. It has similarities, but of course no confirmation about the cause of the Croydon crash yet.

Rail controller who caused German train crash that claimed 12 lives admits he was not paying attention because he was playing ‘Dungeon Hunter 5’ on his phone
The rail worker, named only as Michael P, is charged with 12 counts of negligent homicide and 89 counts of causing bodily harm
He was playing on his phone shortly before the February 9 crash in Bad Aibling
The 40-year-old was responsible for controlling signals which allowed both trains onto the same stretch of track
Two packed commuter trains crashed head-on at around 60mph

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3923940/

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Wed 16 Nov 2016, 2:22 pm

There seems no doubt that the tram was going too fast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38003934#"
Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 18 Nov 2016, 9:47 pm

Catching up on this one as well.

Latest:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/croydon-trams-back-up-running-9287768

No mention of the driver. Assume he will be prosecuted over it (although was it established what actually happened - apart from going 3 x the speed limit - but last I heard, he either fell asleep, blacked out or playing on phone - depending on where you read)
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sat 19 Nov 2016, 1:27 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/19/probe-launched-as-video-shows-tram-driver-asleep-at-controls-on/

An investigation has been launched after footage emerged appearing to show a tram driver asleep at the controls on the same line where a crash killed seven people.

A concerned passenger filmed the 32-second clip as the driver struggled to stay upright around three miles from the derailment in Croydon, south London, The Sun reported.

Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, said he was "extremely concerned" by the video and he has called for a full investigation.

The footage was filmed between the Coombe Lane and Gravel Hill stations shortly after 6pm on April 21, according to the newspaper.

The person who recorded the film told the newspaper: "It was the most surreal thing because the tram is zooming along and the driver seems to be falling asleep.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  unreorganised Sat 19 Nov 2016, 5:34 pm

Andrew wrote:
[i]An investigation has been launched after footage emerged appearing to show a tram driver asleep at the controls on the same line where a crash killed seven people.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often really.

A few years ago I was having trouble nodding off, a friend suggested I try watching this.

I think I was putting out zzz's after about ten minutes.
unreorganised
unreorganised

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Sat 19 Nov 2016, 6:31 pm

I shouldn't actually laugh on this particular topic but that last post made me chuckle.

I got about 2 mins in and could feel the eyes starting to close.

Likewise if I ever have problems with insomnia then I now know exactly what to do.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 25 Nov 2016, 8:13 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3972402/Croydon-crash-victims-saved-tram-shatterproof-glass.html

Controversial glass may have been the cause of more fatalities in the Croydon Tram Crash, according to investigators.

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB), one of several agencies investigating the cause of the disaster, is thought to be exploring whether lives could have been saved if the tram had been fitted with shatterproof safety glass.

The crash, on November 9, left seven people dead and more than 50 injured, and an interim report published last week found the tram was travelling at 43.5mph - more than three times the speed limit - before it derailed.

Passengers suffered horrific injuries after being showered with glass during the collision.

Some were hurled from the vehicle by the force of the collision while others were left trapped under the frame of the tram.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebell Fri 25 Nov 2016, 8:27 pm

Difficult one that.   Is it preferable to have the windows break and be able to escape or avoid the injuries from broken glass ?

What sort of glass are cars provided with?   What sort of glass is allowed in domestic doors?  Anyone know?

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Fri 25 Nov 2016, 9:03 pm

My knowledge of different types of glass is a tad rusty these days.

Here's a link though that may help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Glass_types
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Accidents/deaths - unusual, bizarre or just plain awful - Page 3 Empty Terrible accidents

Post  Freedom Thu 16 Feb 2017, 9:18 am

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Mon 20 Feb 2017, 5:18 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4242806/Croydon-crash-tram-driver-lost-awareness.html

The driver of a tram which crashed killing seven and injuring 51 'lost awareness' before the entering a sharp bend at almost four times the speed limit, an investigation has found.
Analysis of the on board data recorder shows the regular service brake was not applied until around 2.5 seconds before the tram reached a 13mph speed limit sign at the Sandilands curve near Croydon on November 9 last year.
Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) findings published shortly after the crash gave the speed of the tram as it entered the bend as approximately 43.5mph.
But in a second interim report it stated that the tram only decreased from 49mph to 46mph by the time it passed the speed limit sign. The hazard brake was not used.

Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freedom Tue 28 Feb 2017, 11:23 am

Freedom
Freedom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next